Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Purchased 3ds XL Mario Kart Limited Edition version on Target.com for $199.99. Yep. With Mario Kart 7 pre-installed. Target also retails the 3ds XL for $199.99 normally (no games), and the other bundles for around $239.99.

Adding to the positive reviews for this system. I recently upgraded from my DSi XL, but will be keeping the DSi. Here's why: the backwards compatibility works fine. But the screens on this system have a tendency to distort the image. So the game looks like you're watching a video online, then blowing it up to a larger size than and getting the grain. It is okay, but playing side by side, it is VERY noticeable. So I will be playing only 3ds titles on the 3ds since the resolution is wonky.

The 3ds has a sliding 3d scale which can be toggled at any time. This was and is the most important feature to me. If I am getting eye strain, or if I'm playing a game and just don't need the 3d depth, I can lessen it or shut it off. Perfect!

Turning the system off is a bit different than the DS. You have to quit the game, then go to the menu, then hit okay to turn off system. No more of just holding the power button. Still, the games go into sleep mode if you just close the lid.

Battery life is good, but it takes a lot longer to charge than the DS did. Probably twice as long (judging by charging time on each when the low battery indicator comes on).

The volume is still on the side... yes you will still probably hit it with your hand when using the L trigger. Headphone jack still at the bottom (not a huge deal, but I like to lay down and rest the bottom of the system on my torso... can't with headphones in. The direction pad is lower, and in an odd place. Just a note for those not a fan of the analog circle pad.

In summary: It's not perfect, but it's pretty great. The titles being released are amazing. I went for the 3ds due to price and selection of quality games over the PS Vita.

Note: 3ds is ready to play out of the box (unlike PSP and PS Vita which require Sony memory sticks). The 3ds uses an SD card and comes with one already. And it has a charger, the same as the DS, so that's nice if you have DS charger already.

Also, the 3DS XL fits perfectly in my DSi XL pouch: Official Nintendo Travel Case for DSi and DSi XL - Wine. The blue is nice and it has a metallic look and is fingerprint resistant. Graphics are pretty amazing for most games, and though it has less impressive hardware than a Vita, I can't complain about the entire package. A great hand held system, even for someone like me who is not big into 3D.
88 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
My husband got me the 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7 for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. I've used the 3DS every day since. I create 3D images for my clipart site, and I play games on the DS while I'm waiting for my images to render. I even watch movies from Netflix on it, which was easy to set up. There are numerous games for the 3DS, including Resident Evil Revelations, and the older DS games work on it too. It's a wonderful system, a big improvement over previous versions, and the larger screen makes a huge difference. My only gripe is the poor speaker system. The volume doesn't go very high. The problem, however, can be resolved with headphones.
on June 4, 2013
I just love the overall look and feel of this system has very nice top and bottom screens, good battery life and good hardware. Love the Mario kart game too its been my tradition the to buy the Mario kart bundle since the the original ds came out so this was a no brainer. This 3ds will be great for kids and adults and everybody knows Mario kart will never disappoint :D
on March 17, 2013
The product is great and I have absolutely no complaints with it. It is of the amazing quality that I have grown up with Nintendo having. Mario Kart 7 is also amazing. I will say though I was surprised that this was backwards compatible with ds games. This makes this product even more valuable to me. I am completely satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone.
on July 31, 2013
This thing comes bundled with Mario Kart 7 already installed on the 4 gb sd card it comes with. I found that the 4gb sd card is kind of small if your going to be downloading a lot of games which I have been doing so I just bought a 32 gb sd card for it. You can easily transfer data from the 4 gb sd card the 3ds comes with to any other sd card.
on March 1, 2013
i heard many complaint about the 3ds XL but i love it, the screen size large an i do not notice a lose in picture quality that i heard complainants about. it is big an bulky an does have bit of weight too it, so over time it can hurt holding it but i play mostly with it in my lap so i don't notice it. the case shell is really a nice blue an has a nice smooth finish which is also nice. Mario kart 7 which it bundle with, tracks are fun an easy too enjoy in short burst if pressed for time an just want do quick run, as you win races you unlock new part for your karts which is fun. if your looking for a new system i recommend a 3ds xl, if you want big screen with a large library of games too choose from as it backwards compatible with the ds
on November 24, 2013
Large screen makes gameplay more enjoyable. 3D effects are quite pronounced (you will need to turn the effect down if you play more than a half hour or so because it can be disorienting). The case is rugged, the top now clicks firmly into several positions. This version comes loaded with Mario Kart, one of the all time great Nintendo games so you are never without a game to play. The overall value of the unit with a preloaded game is excellent.
on April 25, 2013
As a lifelong gamer (29 and gaming for at least 25 years), this has been the best and most fun Nintendo system I have owned since the SNES. It is bundled with Mario Kart 7 which is my all time favorite racing game. Tons of great games. I don't care for the 3D too much, but that is a personal opinion. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Luigi's Mansion are must buys!
on May 27, 2013
I'm very satisfied with this product, I hesitated before I purchased it because we allready have a Nintendo DS and I wondered if it was worthed to buy another but as soon as I received it my son was so happy it is so easy to use and the graphics are superb specialy in games like PES or FIFA 2013. The preinstalled program was Mario Kart 7 my son enjoyed to play it I'm trying also it's not so easy for me buy we have lots of fun. I recommended this product and the vendor to anyone.
on October 14, 2013
I had a 3DS and returned it, it was just too small. The XL is good sized and still pocket-able. One word of warning though, the pre-installed Mario Kart is installed on the SD card, not the device's internal memory. I swapped the SD card for a larger one and didn't copy the contents over before formatting the original, no more Mario Kart... Bummer.