Nintendo 3DS XL Duraflexi Protector - Clear
Color Name: ClearChange
Price:$8.93 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 26, 2013
Color Name: Red
Purchased a 3DS XL and went looking for a cover and case to house the console in it. Previously with our DS Lite, we went with a clear polycarbonate cover, like this one below.

www.amazon.com/Crystal-Hard-Case-Cover-Nintendo/dp/B0010LC6QE/

With the new 3DS XL, I wanted to keep it in this travel case below. Even though it is listed as for the DSi, it fits the 3DS XL just fine.

Official Nintendo Travel Case DSi DS

The Duraflexi protector is made from TPU material, part of the reason I chose this is from my previous experience with TPU cover for smartphones. The material surface is in between a smooth surface like polycarbonate (slippery) and silicone (high grip). Perfect because you don't lose the grip easily AND it doesn't feel like silicone, where it's hard to put in and take out of pockets/purses/bags and collects lint/hair. It is also in between as far as flexibility, not stiff like polycarbonate and not limp like silicone. Very easy to slip on the 3DS XL and it doesn't fall off once on. It's also low profile, it does not protrude out much like some other protectors.

Perfect type of protector for our family. We mainly wanted some protection from a slight drop (low height), protection from dirty/oils from hands, and protection from scratches. This fits the check list. It does NOT protect the two buttons on the corners so if you need/want full protection, do not buy this one. I can recommend this to someone who maintains their gadgets gently, mainly uses it sitting, etc. If you are rather abusive in handling things, frequently on the move with the 3DS XL, or have active children, I recommend something else, like the NERF protector, for example.

I knew I wouldn't be able to use a similar clear polycarbonate cover AND fit it into the travel case because polycarbonate had a hinge. This Duraflexi protector doesn't and it appears to be pretty slim. I ordered and I can say I am pleasantly pleased that I can still use both the cover and the case. It is a tight squeeze and the way I put it in the travel case is upside down with the buttons towards me. I reviewed the DSi travel case as well separately.

UPDATE 11/3/13: It's still holding well, very easy to hold and slim, one small minor issue is the edge of the corners for the bottom portion 'may' be a little annoying to some users. It is very minor but I will explain; it is right where your left and right thumb areas are, I find it more so for the right thumb. The right thumb hovers over the X/Y/A/B buttons and the A button is very close to the right edge of the protector.

Sometimes when I play, I feel my thumb 'pulling/rubbing/stretching' against the right edge of the protector. Over time, can this cause the right corner bend slightly outwards? It hasn't yet and I do recall touching that edge near the very beginning of owning the protector. I don't recall it much now, maybe I got used to it or it was certain games played.

*** Please see the comment left in this review by another member, that member provides some good information regarding this and other types of protectors.

[...], it will encourage me to continue writing and updating my reviews, and leave a comment if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer if I can be of help.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2014
Color Name: ClearVerified Purchase
I bought one of these for my new Disney Magical World Special Edition 3DS XL. It's a pretty, glossy white - so I want to keep it clean *and* free of fingerprints. I was also concerned that the gold design on the front of the 3DS would be susceptible to wear/fading. I want to keep my new toy safe and sound - this case definitely helps me do that. The case pieces are flexible, soft plastic and very nice to the touch. Fitting the case on your 3DS couldn't be simpler. The top screen piece slides on the front. Make sure you open the lid of the 3DS so it will slide on right. The bottom piece slides on as well. Make sure you snap the little tabs at the back into the slots on the back of the 3DS to keep the bottom of the case in place.

I was wondering if the case would "dull" the design on the front of my 3DS XL - after all, you don't get a 3DS XL special edition to hide the design, right? :) No problem, though - the case doesn't make the 3DS XL look dull at all, just protected. I liked this case so much, and was so impressed after just one day with it that I bought a second one for my husband's Yoshi Limited Edition 3DS XL- an early birthday present.

So go ahead, grab one of these cases and keep your 3DS XL safe and sound. Easy to install, nice materials and doesn't dull the beauty of your 3DS XL one bit. It's absolutely worth the money.
review image review image review image
on January 4, 2015
Color Name: Clear
The case is translucent, not completely clear, so if you have a special edition 3DS and want a clear view of your system, you may not want this case. I can still see through the case okay, but it definitely obscures and changes the color, which is a little disappointing. Otherwise, it's a good little case to protect against scratches and other minor damages. The fit is snug and secure.
review image review image
on November 26, 2013
Color Name: BlueVerified Purchase
This case is simply fantastic! Having recently purchased a limited edition 3DS XL, I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to protect my investment from the hours of game play I was going to put it through and overall wear and tear. I had initially looked at a Nerf 3DS XL Armor case, but after reading several reviews about the collateral damage that occurred with the use of those cases, I decided I'd look for something a little less damage-inflicting. This is the case I eventually settled on and I have never looked back. This thing is sweet!

Awesome features about this case:

- It's a soft, silicone case.
- It's hinges are soft and flexible, meaning no scratches on your console during the install.
- It's got flap inserts that fit into holes on the XL, meaning a secure fit around your console.
- It's got high-quality cutouts for the charger port, stylus and camera. No excess plastic!
- It's got the Nintendo 3DS XL logo on the front, giving it a more "official" look.
- Can't beat the price!

I really can't find a real fault with this case, but I'll admit that it's not for everyone. Only two colors and not nearly as protective as some other cases on the market, but I'll take those trade-offs to make sure my console stays scratchless. When combined with my AmazonBasics Carrying Case, I don't foresee any damage coming to my XL anytime soon.
on February 21, 2014
Color Name: ClearVerified Purchase
I ordered this clear case on preorder because I heard a lot of good things about the Hori TPU clear case and I wanted one, figured this was the same thing, just a US release. It fits great, it looks good and shows my Zelda 3DS XL well, perfect protection. But, I have a slight problem with the small edges left over from production. My hands hurt to hold it because these almost paper thin edges cut into them. This is really disappointing, I want to use it, but it's hurting my palms. I'm tempted to purchase the other Hori brand one in hopes that it doesn't have the same production lines, but I doubt it's any different. I may just end up sanding it a bit...I hope it will fix the problem.
on February 12, 2014
Color Name: ClearVerified Purchase
Last year, upon release, I purchased the limited edition animal crossing DS XL. Four days later, my mom drops it on the pavement outside. Luckily, the only real damage was scratches on the L and R bumper buttons. You'd think that after going through something so tragic, I would have purchased one of these babies. Well, I did not... Until now!

I was tired of finding little hair scratches here and there. Initially I thought it was going to be a hard shell case, like I have had in the past. That is actually the reason I didn't buy one, because they always scratch the sides of my console and let debris in.

This case is quite nice, and fits my 3DS xl like a glove. Also, another plus, none of the minor hair scratches are even visible anymore! Looks just like it did when it was brand new! - Woot!

Thank-you so much, I will definitely be ordering from this company again! Shipping and packaging was excellent.
on July 4, 2013
Color Name: Red
The case is a flexible see through plastic case. No issues w/ the case slipping. I paired this with a Charizard decal that shows through well the case.

[...]
on July 14, 2013
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
Okay so the product wasn't entirely what I thought it was, which ended up being a good thing. The case has a nice consistency and looks really awesome on top of my red 3DS. I cannot vouch for how well it protects the device, which I am thankful for, but I DO know that it will protect the original case from various scratches. I love this product a lot, I would recommend it to anyone who feels insecure about their naked 3DS. At first the grip takes a bit to get used to, but it feels good and safe.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2014
Color Name: ClearVerified Purchase
I bought this product as it was the one with the highest review average along with the most reviews. Let's just say this item will protect the 3DS XL from scratches, well most of it anyway. There's 4 openings where the 3DS can still be scratched if not too careful, especially where the memory card / stylus is at.

The reason I bought this item was to protect my brand new Persona 3DS XL, which this product does nicely. The 4 star review is for two reasons, I've already named one in that it doesn't protect all area. This is not the fault of the product as if it did, I wouldn't be able to get to the stylus. The second reason is minor but still a gripe for me. This item is clear but not crystal / transparent clear. It's a opaque / translucent clear which takes away from the aesthetics of these limited edition 3DSes.

I normally take very good care of my product but I wanted to take extra good care of this item. With this said, if you're looking for a 3DS XL case protector, you can't go wrong with this item.
on May 17, 2014
Color Name: ClearVerified Purchase
I have a limited edition 3DS and wanted a clear case that did not conceal the picture art on my console. I chose this case after reading a few of the reviews on here. The case indeed looks great on my 3DS XL and fits it perfectly, but upon reading the back of the box I discovered it does not promise to protect the console from impact. In other words, this case was designed mainly to protect the device from dirt and scratches. Not damage from a hard fall. It seems to me that this may be an issue with the bottom half portion. When I tap the 3DS hard in certain places with my finger I can feel things inside vibrate a little. However, I cannot say for sure just how much impact protection there may actually be as I have not put the system through any real abuse and do not plan on it. So everything is mere speculation at this point. Nevertheless, if your aim is to keep your console scratch free while adding somewhat of a cushion for those occasional drops onto the carpet, then this is the product for you.

On the brighter side, the material it is made out of feels good to hold and doesn't add too much weight in my opinion. I imagine it may get a little sticky from sweat over time, but also seems like it would be easy to clean. It is very easy to attach to the console and does not damage it upon removal. I have used another case before this one and this is by far easier to put on and take off.

I was torn between 3 stars and 4, but ultimately decided this case looked and felt too good to not get the higher rating. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.