Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nintendo 3DS XL Pink/White - Nintendo 3DS XL
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 24, 2014
If one looks at the 3DS with an unbiased, objective point of view, there is a lot to love. It is basically a next-gen successor of Nintendo's vastly successful DS console, with the horse-power of a console somewhere between the Gamecube and the Wii. It utilizes a very cool 3-D effect that, when done right, really adds to the overall immersion of the gaming experiences available on it. Everything about it is an improvement on the original DS. Granted, it also has some caveats and issues as well. The 3DS XL does a very good job delivering the goodness of the original 3DS, while making vast improvements over its smaller brother original. In this review, I will focus on the differences and improvements this model makes on the 3DS line. I'll warn you right now, this is a long review. If you don't like long reviews, then you may want to skip this. :P

Screen Size: With a title that includes "XL," obviously the increase in size is the biggest difference between this and the original 3DS. It may be easy to hear that the screens are 90% bigger than the original, but it really is a stark difference when you take the system out of the package and see it for yourself. The XL's screens are HUGE compared to the original. It's comparable to the jump between the DSi and the DSXL, for those savvy to what that means, but in this case its even bigger because the top screen is in a widescreen format. Despite the size increase, the picture is still crisp and pops with nice detail. I thought that because the screen would be bigger, but with the same resolution as the original, the XL's picture would be distorted and fuzzy, but that's not the case here. I've put the screen detail and quality through rigorous testing since buying the system, playing many different games, and the bigger picture really makes the scenery more detailed than I ever noticed before. It's no exaggeration to say that the games actually feel new due to this greater detail. It's great!

Screen quality: Instead of the top half of the XL having a shiny, glossy finish of the screen and the area around it that the original featured, the 3DSXL features an almost "smoothed over" finish that was meant to lessen glare from the sun or other lights from bothering your eyes. It actually makes quite a difference. The trade-off is that the back-lighting seems just a smidgen less bright, but not much at all. One of the biggest problems I had with the original 3DS was the problem of "ghosting." It was especially frequent in games with areas of high contrast. This was a common issue people had with the original 3DS, but I haven't noticed it much at all yet with the XL. This is a big plus for me, because that ghosting was one of my biggest gripes with the original. I made my peace with it though, because ghosting naturally occurs from time to time with the tech being utilized in the 3DS, but to have it mostly gone here is a real treat. The colors in the XL seem brighter and a bit more vibrant as well. The touch screen is really nicely made, and seems to be a slight improvement on the original, but the difference is negligible. The saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," comes to mind.

DS backwards compatibility: Honestly, this is one of the best things about the 3DXL. If you look up comparison videos of the first 3DS playing original DS games and a DSi playing DS games, the 3DS is surprisingly inferior. The colors are more bland, the resolution is fairly fuzzy, and if you choose to play it in its native resolution to fix that blurry smudginess, the screen becomes so small it's hardly worth doing that. The XL makes drastic improvements in all of these areas. The colors are just as bright and beautiful as playing on a normal DSiXL. Due to the larger screen size, playing in a native resolution still leaves ample room for playtime and is no longer the cramp experience the first 3DS offered. If you choose that route, the screen will be close to a normal DSi. Even if you don't, the picture is still decent at full-size, shockingly. This fantastic backwards compatibility is a real plus in the 3DSXL's favor and should not be understated. Massive improvement here.

Build quality: Much like the new DSi and DSiXL made notable improvements in build quality to their predecessors, so does the XL refine the design of its predecessor. Instead of an outer glossy finish, there is a sleek matte exterior that makes the XL feel more heavy duty and refined. It definitely has a better build quality than the original. My original 3DS' top screen hinge became fairly loose and the lock-in positions a little weak after just one instance where I accidentally jostled it. The hinges on the XL click and lock into one or two set angular positions before locking into the flat position and I know there's no way this thing is going to break easily at all. That's a really nice improvement. The system is surprisingly slick in its form too. It's about the same thickness as the original (which is kind of clunky in comparison, let's be honest), and even weighs less than expected, despite the larger screen and button size, and this size and shape really comes across as a mature, sleek gadget from Nintendo. I felt the same way about their classy DSiXL system too. The buttons are also vastly improved. The home, select, and start buttons are actual separated buttons that have a bit of click to them, which is a vast improvement. The other buttons have more "squish" to them, but still click in a satisfying way. All-in-all, the buttons feel very balanced, if that make sense. They're very similar to the DSiXL's button quality, which is to say, very nice. The 3-D and Volume slider are also different. When all the way off, the 3-D slider clicks into position, and when you want to turn the 3-D effect on, you must click it out of position and then slide it to your desired position. Both the volume and 3-D sliders seem more heavy duty. They stick and stay in position very, very well. A lot of small details add up in this system, to be sure.

Battery life: In my personal experience, the original 3DS had battery life that lasted about 4-5 hours with the 3-D slid up, 5-7 without 3-D, and roughly 6-8 hours with DS games. The 3DS XL is supposed to last 3.5-6.5 hours with 3D, 6-8 without, and 8-10 with DS games. It's not a HUGE improvement, but every bit counts. If you're like me and play a lot of the time with the system plugged into the wall, it won't really matter all that much anyway, but for those who want to play on the go, this is a really nice improvement over the original.

Sound: Supposedly, the sound tech in the 3DSXL is pretty close to the original, but I (and others, I've checked) have noticed some differences. The speakers on the XL seem a bit quieter than the original. Not a ton, mind you, but it's noticeable. The speaker volume level seems to depend on which game you're playing too. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure seems just as loud as before, but better now. I tend to play my 3DS with these amazing headphones on, and the difference becomes really noticeable then. The sound from the XL with headphones seems a lot more detailed and ambient than before, and the volume level is fine. The highs, mids, and lows are distinctive with no aspect overpowering or distorting the others. Much like the visuals, I'm hearing things in games I never heard before, and it has enhanced my experience even further. Great stuff here, and a very pleasant surprise!

Memory: The 3DSXL comes with a 4 GB SD card, making for a much bigger space for storage than the 2 GB SD card included with the first models. This is nice. I almost filled my first one up and still had a lot more games to get. Granted, you can buy any sized SD to use with the 3DS after some formatting, but having more space right off the bat is nice.

Any issues?: In many ways, the 3DSXL is what the 3DS should have been from the beginning, and it's a fantastic little handheld. It's not quite perfect though. For one, where's the second analog slider? There's ample room under the right-hand face buttons for it, but alas, no slider. It's not a problem that bothers me much, but I must note it because there are many who will view it as an issue. Imagining the boat-peripheral they're making for this system makes me giggle a bit. It conjures up visions of Nintendo releasing a laptop-sized 3DS with trigger buttons, lol. I understand they kept it out due to tech/power/space optimization, which makes sense. Personally, I never cared much for a second slider, and not having one has pushed developers to come up with some really creative things in the past on the DS and 3DS alike. I also find the design of the XL to be, like the original, cramped and painful to hold after a while, especially in high-action games. It's definitely better, don't get me wrong, but the cramping is still there a bit. I highly recommend this comfort grip, as it pretty much eliminates any discomfort from playing (too bad it doesn't come in white or pink :/). :D Perhaps the most annoying thing about this handheld is the d-pad. It works just as well as the one before, but now it's extremely "clicky." I don't mean the button clicks when you use it; that has always been the case with the 3DS. What I mean is, now the d-pad seems to be looser in its area, and so makes this "clickety" sound against the bracket if you lift your thumb off of it even if only for a split-second. It can be really annoying. One more personal gripe: the color choices. Really Nintendo? Bright blue, red, and pink? The DSiXL had really mature, fetching color options that made the system feel like an adult's gadget. These slick red and blue colors are a lot less subtle and elegant. Don't get me wrong, I own a teal 3DS (not exactly the most "mature" color choice) and love it, but I wish there had been a more subdued teal, gold, or forest/jade green finish to choose from. This Pink/White XL stands out from the others due to its white highlight instead of black like the others. Objectively speaking, it is very pretty (as a married man, I confidently say that and feel no shame or embarrassment). My wife has a 3DSXL with this color scheme and it is surprisingly eye-catching and clean looking, but like the other color options, it is hardly what I'd call "mature." Ah, who cares though, right? It's still a fantastic handheld

I realize this review is very long, but when considering tech purchases that are this pricey, these kind of reviews always helped me make informed decisions better. I have both the original and now the XL, and I must say the 3DSXL feels like the "true" 3DS. The system should have been like this from the start, honestly, and when it was originally announced, I, along with many others, hoped for an XL edition. Now we get it and it has been well worth the wait. For those who don't own a 3DS yet, this is the perfect time to get it. This system finally delivers on the promise of the original 3DS, and now there's an absolutely incredible library of titles for newcomers to joyously embrace, and that library grows more amazing with every month it seems. The 3DSXL is easily my favorite and most played gaming device in a long time. At a mere 30$ more than the original for practically double the space and a big jump in hardware quality, it's more than worth it. This is a great value. I'm glad I got the original a year ago, but I am absolutely thrilled to get this version, and heartily recommend it to all gamers with a heart container for Nintendo. It's not a choice you'll regret. I hope you enjoyed this review and found it helpful. Have a good day. Toodles.
on August 18, 2015
Came right on time, perfectly packaged. Not a scratch on the box when I opened it. Every thing was there and accounted for. The DS looks and runs great. Played it for hours after it arrived and I saw nothing wrong with it in those few hours. I'm so happy that I bought the pink one. I'm totally in love with it. I love the color pink on it. Was kind of worried that it would be more dull than it was in the picture. But I was wrong, perfect pink! Would highly recommend it for any pink DS lover!!
on May 16, 2015
Nintendo is my childhood memory. Pink color is fantastic. I bought two machines. One for myself and another one is for my girlfriend. We both like it.
on March 19, 2014
This system surprised me like crazy, it blew me away! I've had the original gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, nes, snes, gamecube, wii (and playstations also) so I found this 3DS very refreshing and new because of the amazing 3D effect, large screen and beautiful graphics. I watched a lot of youtube gameplay videos before when trying to decide but even with high quality videos, the graphics of the 3DS games looked low so I had the wrong impression! But when I received the actual system in person, I was BLOWN AWAY by the GORGEOUS graphics. I truly didn't except the graphics to be so gorgeous, I really didn't. The 3D effect gives the graphics so so much graphical depth which is something you cannot find in any HD graphic gaming system, the 3DS offers that unique experience because of the unique 3D effect they have going on.

I am very happy with my 3DS, it's gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. This is a huge improvement over the Nintendo DS Lite that I used to have. The graphics have rich color, the 3D effect is just breathtaking at times. It does strain your eyes at first but I quickly got used to it! You can always turn the 3D off but why? It's so beautiful with the 3D effect! The hardware itself is also just lovely and easy to hold. I didn't have any games I wanted to play but playing some of the demons you can download within the system helps you discover new games. The system also has applications you can download such as a notepad, drawing application, you can send 3D drawings to people, you can even take 3D photos although they're low quality but cool.
on December 8, 2015
I bought this about two years ago and it still runs and looks like new. I play on this system all the time and it travels with me everywhere (and I travel a lot). It's got so many great games associated with it as well (Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Link to the Past, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory 4, etc). Although there may be times when I put it down for a couple of months, I always pick it back up again. This system is seriously awesome. <3
on November 13, 2014
It is GORGEOUS!! I really wanted the mint one because I love mint but there isn't a US released version so had to settle for pink and it did not disappoint! The style is very sleek and the screen is absolutely beautiful! Currently playing Resident Evil Revelations on it and the graphics are so realistic and pretty! I'd compare it to the PS3 graphics or Xbox 360 graphics. Very nice large screen and it's not that much heavier than my ds lite. Love the buttons and the smoothness of everything overall.
on July 1, 2014
My daughter has the original 3ds and it was great. But she wanted the bigger screen, so she got it. WOW, that little bit made a HUGE difference and now I get her old one! The only problem is, the older I get, the harder it is to see things up close. So now I'M thinking about trading this one in for the bigger 3dsXL. GAMESTOP has a deal where they'll give you $91.00 on a trade-in, hmm.
on December 10, 2014
Fun game system, and the bigger screen is so much better! However the 3D screen can cause some eye strain, luckily the 3D effect can be turned off so you can play without 3D. Keep an eye on your kids so they aren't playing 3D all the time! Let them rest their eyes.

The games are decent for Nintendo. Don't expect XBOX or PS3/4 levels of games, the 3DS is a lightweight/casual gaming system, aimed at tween/teen gamers. If that's the target audience, then enjoy!
on April 15, 2015
Bought this for my Daughter for Christmas and she LOVES IT!!!! I love the parental setting, make me feel a lil less worried while shes playing it. the 3D effect is pretty cool, but it makes me kind of dizzy. My Daughter doesnt play with it on, I guess its only cool in the beginning. I want to get one for myself, so she and I can challenge each other VIA wifi connect. I love it and am happy that I purchased it for.
on November 9, 2015
I bought this for my 9 year old and she loves it! This color was hard to come by! I love the clear screens and the 3D feature. There are endless games to download, which makes it better for less games to pack around.