5.0 out of 5 stars How to keep your game looking new
Published on June 28, 2007 by A. Cheng

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehh its cool
I did not notice in the description "broken hinges" but aside from the ds lite works. also the charger and stylus being included, nice bonus
Published 7 months ago by Emilio Diggs

5.0 out of 5 stars How to keep your game looking new, June 28, 2007
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
I've read some reviews on Amazona and CNET lists as a drawback of the game its tendency to draw swirls and surface scratches. Just let me say that's not really a terrible problem. I just thought I'd share how to remove scratches from the glossy surface of the Nintendo DS Lite games. I refinish guitars, so I know quite a few tricks with plastic (for pickguards). I recently bought a used DS Lite (glossy black) for my son from Ebay. It had a bunch of surface scratches, swirls and one nasty scuff (must have been dropped/slid on the floor!). My son was quite distraught, but I wasn't. The nice shining finish might look fragile and daunting to touch but it's not. You just need to use auto rubbing compound on the DS Lite (light or dark) to remove scratches and swirls. I use Turtle Wax Premium Grade Rubbing Compound ($6-7), but you could use Meguires, or any other one easily found at auto stores. Just make sure its a good quality, liquid fine grit compound. You simply get a soft cloth and rub the swirls/scuff/minor scratches with the rubbing compound. I apply it and rub it without letting the compound dry, it works faster that way. It took me about 8 seconds to remove what looked like a bad permanent scuff and have the unit shine again like new. I also removed all the swirls in about a minutes time. Very simple and safe! I do this all the time with guitar pickguard to restore them. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable gaming experience, September 25, 2006
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
I'm a man in my late 30s who used to enjoy video games, but between work, going back to school, and children, I just don't have time for gaming any more. So it's been ~5 years since I tried any gaming system, much less a handheld (which I've always viewed as worthless from a gaming perspective). Recently, I had a long business trip, and friends recommended the Nintendo DS Lite and Advanced Wars: Dual Strike. I bought both on their recommendation and I can honestly say it is a truly fantastic experience. It made the trip fly by, I wasn't even interested in the movie or reading. It even worked great to defuse my frustration about having to wait for an hour in a slow-moving security line. In this review, I'll write about the system, and will post a separate review about the game.

The Nintendo DS Lite blew me away. The last handheld game system I tried was many years ago, also a Nintendo product I believe, and I hated it. The screen was too small and too hard to see, etc.. This product delivers in spades.

Screen brightness: configurable and much, much better than previous systems. The screens are gorgeous to look at and will be visible anywhere except possibly with the sun directly shining on the screen.

Battery life was also a non-issue. I still don't know the battery limit. My record is ~12 hours on a single charge using the lowest screen brightness setting (still quite usable), and the system never complained about a low charge so for all I know it could last another 12. It was more than enough to play virtually non-stop on a transcontinental flight w/no access to power.

Boot time is lightning fast and makes this system extremely usable. From off to playing is < 15 seconds. In addition, you can put the game to sleep by just closing the lid & have it instantly wake up when you open again. This is a more important feature than it first seems, because it makes it possible to kill even as little as 5 minutes.

Stereo music is also quite nice. I recommend a tiny set of earbuds that can fit in a travel case for the game, but the speakers also work fine if you don't want to hassle with earbuds/headphones.

You can have a GBA game cartridge and a (shockingly tiny) DS cartridge loaded at the same time. In fact, this is used in some games, which unlock extra features in some newer games (including AW:DS mentioned above) and allow other cross-game interactions. One potentially big downside is that you can no longer plug in your GB Color or older cartridges. (So if you have old games you love, hold on to your older systems or buy a different Nintendo product to play them.)

The touch screen worked flawlessly, but honestly, I don't prefer using it. Until I try a game that makes great use of it, I'm just as happy using the direction pad and buttons.

Local wireless support is a fantastic idea, but I never had a chance to try it. You can download demos of games from game stores wirelessly, and you can play most games wirelessly, usually with just one cartridge for all players. The Nintendo DS Lite also supports wifi I believe, but I haven't had a chance to try that either. (Now if this thing could do email and calendar appointments...)

All in all, I am very impressed with this system and recommend it to any game player (casual or serious) who needs to kill some time. Works great on both buses for a daily commute and for transcontinental flights.

Worst aspect? I chose the black model and am very happy with it, but it does show fingerprints easily. Maybe the white would look better?

5.0 out of 5 stars An Innovative Gaming System, October 15, 2006
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
About a month ago, I decided to purchase my first game system since the origional NES. I got the DS, and I must say I love it. Somehow, they have found an idea that seemed to only be a gimmick (the dual screens) and turn it into something new and fun. So far, I have bought New Super Mario Brothers, Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Mario Kart, and a Japan-English dictionary program (my main justification for buying it in the first place). It is a great way to kill 5 min. or kill a few hours. Once you get used to using the stylus, it becomes very natural.

Pros:

-Fun games for all skill levels

-Nice styling

-Wireless connectivity

-Multiple people can play the same game off of one card

-Bright screen with good graphics

-nice sound

-long battery life

Cons:

-It fits a little awkwardly in my hands

-You must buy a screen protector (the stylus can scratch up the lower screen pretty badly)

-In some games, the stylus blocks your view of different sections of the screen

-The Onyx Black looks cool, but it gets extremely smudged up with finger prints

Overall:

The cons are nothing compared with the pros. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo DS Lite - Nearly too fun to give as a gift!, January 10, 2007
Bruce Burns (Round Rock, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
I bought a Nintendo DS Lite for my son's 6th birthday along with Mario Kart. After it was delivered, I had to make sure it worked correctly before wrapping it. After all, there's nothing worse than getting a birthday present that you find to be busted, not working after you open it. I tested the DS Lite by playing the game Mario Kart that I bought along with it. I tested it for a couple of hours and then the screen went blank. Was it broken? This thought frightened me for a second, but then I realized that the battery probably just ran out of juice so I plugged it in. Bingo! It was working again, so I went back to testing it by playing Mario Kart to make sure the DS Lite was going to continue to work. I put it through hours and hours of stringent testing. Before I knew it, the sun was coming up and my kids would need to wake up and get ready for school. I was also supposed to go to work, but I was so focused overnight on testing my son's soon-to-be-gift that I forgot to go to bed. Nevertheless, I got the kids up and rushed them off to school, but as I was getting ready to go to work myself, a thought popped into my head; had I actually tested the Nintendo DS Lite long enough to be certain it was going to continue to operate? The quick answer to this was no; I had not tested it thoroughly enough. I called my boss and - in my best sick and croaky voice - told him I had come down with pneumonia and wouldn't be able to make it into work that day so I could get back to testing the DS Lite.

Before I knew it, my kids were walking through the front door, home from school, and there I was still in my underwear on the couch, playing the DS Lite. I was almost busted, and I had to quickly hide the DS under the cushion so my son wouldn't see it.

Let me just say this: The Nintendo DS Lite can be addicting. I stayed home from work the rest of that week (after all, it takes a while to get over pneumonia) just so I could play this fabulous handheld device. For about five days I forwent sleep, eating, and personal hygiene. And that was simply to play Mario Kart, which is only one of many, many games available for this handheld system.

When my son opened his gift from me at his birthday party about week later, he didn't seem to be all that enthused with the packs old baseball cards I gave him out of my collection. I think he was really expecting the Nintendo. Where was the Nintendo DS Lite I bought for him you may be asking? I decided to keep that for myself.

Okay, okay - I'm just kidding! I wouldn't do that, but I will tell you this: my six year old son loves the Nintendo DS Lite, as do I.

I've seen a couple of other reviews over the DS that state children are unable to use the device by themselves without an adult setting up the game for them. To that I say this: hogwash! My son just turned six and is in kindergarten and has no trouble whatsoever in booting or navigating through any of the games he has (which include New Super Mario Brothers, Kirby Squeak Squad, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 March of the Minis, Mario & Luigi Partners In Time, Monster Trucks DS, among others). The only problem my son seems to have with the device is keeping track of the stylus; even though there's an actual hole in the thing to stow it in, he seems to constantly lose the stylus. Go figure. However, small skinny sticks of plastic come cheap (replacement stylus packs are usually under five bucks for two of them) and he can always use his finger on the touch screen whenever a stylus is AWOL. He also lost the cover for the Game Boy Advance cartridge port, but I ordered another one off the Nintendo website for three bucks. Oh, and that reminds me - I should mention that the DS Lite also plays all of the Game Boy Advance games as well as DS games! As such, the DS Lite plays more games than any other handheld or console system on the market.

I ended up getting a pink DS Lite for my 9 year old daughter for Christmas. The only drawback I've found was thinking that they could share their DS games, but this has posed a slight problem as games are saved on the game cartridge and not to a storage device in the DS itself. The problem occurs when my son borrows his sister's Nintendogs game and somehow ends up messing up all her hard work. She claims that when my son's plays with her dog, all of the hours of training she's put the dog through are spoiled because he's teaching the dog to be bad somehow. I haven't played this game enough to know exactly what she's talking about, but I know there are several versions of the Nintendogs game, so I may end up buying my son his own so I don't have to hear her whine about this any longer. Nintendogs, along with Mario Kart, are two must-get games in my opinion.

I must also mention the fact that you can play several of the games through peer-to-peer (ad hoc), which means my son and daughter can play each other wirelessly. For instance with Mario Kart, they can race each other on their own DS, and you only have to have the one cartridge to do so (the DS without the inserted Mario Kart cartridge downloads the necessary files to play head to head in this manner). Furthermore, you can also race people around the world if you have a wireless network.

I should also mention that I have a Sony Play Station Portable (PSP). If you're trying to decide between the PSP and a Nintendo DS Lite, I have sympathy for you because that's not an easy decision. The graphics are better on the PSP, but the DS games are a whole lot of fun. If you're trying to decide which one to buy for a child, I'd definitely suggest getting the DS Lite as it seems to offer more games geared for the younger crowd.

So that's about all I have to say about the Nintendo DS Lite, and I hope what I said helps. Let me know if it helped by clicking the `Yes' button below to the right of the sentence that says "Was this review helpful to you?" Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back In Black, September 9, 2006
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
Nintendo has been very successful with their video games for several years. Although their time with their home console system the Gamecube, seems to be winding down, amny people are still enjoying the success of Nintendo's handheld, the DS system. Earlier this year, the company redesigned the DS to a smaller compact editon, the DS Lite, which is just as delightful, and easy to play as the original DS. Unfortunately, the design only came into one particular color, a simple white. Well, now they are going to make the world of black come around the DS Lite.

The Nintendo DS Lite in a dark Onyz Black, is a sleek and stylish way of bringing your gaming on the go. Like the original DS system, you have the portability of original DS games, as well as the compatability of Game Boy Advance games too like Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Brothers 3, and Dr. Sudoku. There are also so many great DS games that are highlighted even better than ever on this system from the fast & the furious racing action of Mario Kart DS, to puzzling brain teasers including the popular Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. The system also comes with a stylus which is a bit bigger than the original ones for the original Nintendo DS, but works like a glove, and has a recharageble battery that lasts as long as before. The system handles comfortably and it is easier to play games from before, with the repositioned controls, and sound.

All in all, if you're a fan of video games, you have many different choices from the PSP, to the upcoming Nintendo Wii. But, the Nintendo DS is a very challenging and exciting video game system that is not only worth the price you pay for it, it delivers so much fun. I absolutely recommend this for anyone who wants to be in the zone.

Price: A

Graphics: A

Sound: A

Control: A-

Game Boy Advance Compatability: A+

Fun & Enjoyment: A+

Overall: A 1/2+

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system, in the handheld or console market, October 16, 2006
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
If I had to pick one system to play exclusively, based on several factors, I'd choose the DS. Now, I'm glad I have the option (i.e. money) to keep purchasing home consoles, but if in some bizarro world where I could only take one system... well, you get the idea. In a way, the DS reminds me of the PS2. It's a bargain. It's backwards compatible so it plays GBA game. The games are abundandt and perhaps more importantly they are varied and around $30. You can't go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo DS - Great Entertainment !!!, November 9, 2006
Christina (San Benito, Texas) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
I bought the white one for my 7 year old son, but could never tear it away from his hands....so I got my own. Too bad they haven't invented a calendar/appointment software for us big kids. The only negative is the white one gets dirty very easily....would recommend buying the black instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Handheld Console, January 6, 2007
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
I bought my onyx black Nintendo DS Lite shortly before the Christmas holidays. I was lucky enough to be online when they briefly became available here at Amazon. Within hours, there were none left. Had I wanted to, I could have sold mine and made a small profit. But that's not how I am. I am first a gamer and much farher down the list, a business person.

I am awarding this Nintendo DS Lite a 5-star rating. I also gave my Sony PSP a 5-star rating. Both consoles are excellent portable gaming devices. From a consumer point of view, the question is not which of the console is "better" hardware. The question one should ask, in my humble opinion, is which console would best meet one's needs.

The Nintendo DS Lite fit my gaming needs better. If I can only have one handheld, the DS Lite would be my choice. You're probably thinking, "but Citan, the PSP can do a whole lot more!". True enough. However, for someone like me, who is simply looking for a handheld console to play casual games away from home, the DS Lite is a better fit. And it has nothing to do with the hardware. The DS Lite simply has a wider variety of games available, compared to the PSP. And to me, the selection of games is the most important factor. So then you say, "Citan, I want to know which is best for me, not for you" Ok, fair enough. Please, read on.

The Sony PSP platform is home to games like the Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid series. The more popular games for the Sony platform seem to be the types that are complicated, elaborate, and not the "pickup-and-play" variety. In other words, if you are looking for a gaming experience that is as close as you can get out of your PS2, then the PSP is for you. The popular games available for it tend to be more "grand" in scale than the ones for the Nintendo. And yes, the graphics are better. Also, if you want multimedia capability, then seriously consider the PSP. The PSP library does not have as much variety. But then again, if you do not want variety in your gaming, then that should not matter.

If you are looking to play games during those random moments that we sometimes get, then seriously consider the DS Lite. An example of random free time is arriving to work fifteen minutes early and spending that time playing a short casual game in your car, at the parking lot. There are many games in the DS library that would be perfectly suited for such a situation. Somehow, I don't think Metal Gear Solid would be a good choice to be playing while waiting at the doctor's office! For that, you would want a game that you can start and stop very quickly. If this is what you have in mind, then the DS Lite (at least for now) would be a better choice. There is a shortage of casual games for the PSP right now. Although that could change in the future.

Basically, it would really depend on how you want to use your gaming device. Some games are better for those random gaming time than others. And it just so happens that there are more such games in the DS library.

Which console would be better for your child? I would say that depends on the age of the child. For a younger child, say under 12, I would give the DS Lite the edge. Again, more variety of games available. The DS Lite has plenty of light-hearted games that are very suitable for younger children. An older child might prefer the PSP to play the more mature games, such as the GTA series.

Another factor to consider is the cost of ownership. The PSP will have a higher cost of ownership due to the fact that you will need to buy a memory stick. Also, a replacement battery for the Sony is twice as expensive as the one for the DS. That's an important consideration if you're buying for a child.

Do you own a PS3? If so, the PSP might be a better choice for you since they are designed to work together. Game developers might decide to take advantage of this interoperability and make use of it in future games. For this reason, I will keep my PSP. I cannot comment as to the interoperability between the DS Lite and the Wii, since I do not own a Wii.

At the moment, I am playing Elite Beat Agents on the DS Lite. The graphics and the presentation are certainly not up to the standards of the likes of the latest GTA or MGS for the PSP. But is the game any less entertaining? Definitely not. And the DS touch screen really make video gaming accessible even to people who have never tried them in the past.

My advice is to consider your needs carefully before making a purchase. The same advice holds true if you are deciding between the PS3, XBox360, and the Wii.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value in a Gaming System, December 21, 2006
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
We owned an original Nintendo DS for two years - we bought it right when it released in December 2004. When I first saw the DS Lite at E3 in 2006, I was thrilled. The game great handheld unit design - but lighter! Brighter! Tuned! It really showed that Nintendo had been paying attention to customer feedback during those two years, and had tweaked its unit to be even better than before.

First, the weight. We always *loved* the design of the DS, with its folding top. As PSP owners, I can't tell you how many time that poor PSP screen gets dinged or scratched. We had to buy extra carrying cases for our PSP and get screen protectors. In comparison, the DS's clamshell design means the screen is perfectly protected when you tote it around in your pocket or purse. The only down-side was that it was a bit heavy. With the DS lite, they keep the protection of the clamshell and also lighten up the unit significantly. It really does help a lot.

The screen brightness - with it being *adjustable* - is an incredibly helpful update. Sometimes you're playing outside in very bright light. Sometimes you're playing in full dark, staying awake in bed. There are all levels in between. If you need that brightness, you don't care if you're burning up your battery power. If you do NOT need that brightness, why kill your battery for no reason? Having that ability to adjust really means that your battery works as best as it possibly can.

We play several games that use the microphone, like Brain Age, and it definitely helps to have it in the center. Usually you're holding the unit with both hands, centered on your face. To have your mouth pointed right at the microphone helps out greatly with those games.

In general the DS system is a fantastic handheld gaming system. We have both the DS and PSP and we play both frequently. Many of the games on the DS aren't available on the PSP and are a ton of fun. The Brain Age / Big Brain Academy / similar games stand out as games we enjoy daily. There are many other games that use the DS touch screen extremely well, giving a full interactivity of gameplay. Yes, the PSP has better graphics. It's something that the DS compromised on. They have less detailed graphics, but more interactivity. Both are great for the games they offer. So for example we play flight simulator style games on our PSP, where the high end graphics matter, and we play puzzle / platform / thinking games on the DS, where the interactivity and plot is more key.

I highly recommend the DS Lite for anybody who doesn't have a DS yet - whether you have a PSP or not. It's not an either-or situation. It's like having a stereo and a TV set. They're both great for their own reasons, and most people would enjoy having both.

If you HAVE a Nintendo DS already and are wondering if you should get a Lite, it really depends on how much you use it away from home. The primary benefit here is the lighter carrying weight, smaller size and much better battery life. If you're carrying it in your pocket, purse or backpack every day, I would really recommend getting a Lite. You can always give your original DS away to a friend or relative as a present, or sell it on eBay. The DSs are still in high demand and would be much loved by a new recipient.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little handheld, June 21, 2007
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black (Accessory)
The Nintendo DS lite is Nintendo's 2nd version of the handheld DS system. The DS lite is, well, lighter, but also less bulky. Several improvements were made to the system as well, including a brighter screen, some repositioning of controls, and a slot for the stylus on the side of the handheld.

System features: Like it's predecessor, the DS lite features dual screens with touch screen technology on the bottom one. A stylus is used in many games on the bottom screen as part of the controls. The DS can be connected to other DS systems wirelessly and can also access the internet through either a wireless router, a Nintendo Wifi adapter, or at a Nintendo Wifi hotspot (many McDonalds restaurants have these).

Comparing it to the PSP: Unlike the PSP, the DS does not function as an MP3 player and won't play movies, but for many people that is not a real drawback. I for one wanted a gaming system and didn't need a handheld to do what my iPod and laptop can already do on the go. There is an internet browser available but you have to purchase it separately, also unlike the PSP. What the DS lacks in versatility, however, it more than makes up for in terms of games.

Gaming options: The DS lite plays both DS games and Game Boy Advance games. Multiplayer games on the DS vary--some of them allow for several players with only one cartridge and some require one cartridge per person. One of the DS's great strengths at this time is the enormous range of available games. There are puzzle and brain games (including Sudoku, Crossword puzzles, and other adaptations of "paper" games), many roleplaying games, several excellent titles by Nintendo (like Mario Kart DS), many sim-type games, and a whole slew of excellent ports (discussed below).

Adaptations/ports of older games: There have been many very successful ports and adaptations of games to the Nintendo DS. Nintendo released a new version of the original Super Mario Brothers and also an adapted Super Mario 64. Other popular games, like Theme Park and Age of Empires 2, have also been adapted. And between the DS and the Game Boy Advance there are a TON of old games that can be injected with new life through play on the DS, including classic Nintendo games (like Super Mario 3) and many Final Fantasy games on the Game Boy Advance.

The DS lite features a great control system and offers gaming options for an incredibly wide variety of ages and tastes, gamers and non-gamers alike. This is the type of system you can picture taking on a family car trip, with children's games for the little ones, an RPG or two for the older kids, and classic games or puzzle games for mom and dad. And for the price you're getting a ton of gaming options. Pretty tough to go wrong.

Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black
Nintendo DS Lite Onyx Black by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
Used & New from: $44.99