5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for DSi screens

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Trouble
Published on December 28, 2011 by Janice

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for DSi screens, April 2, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
I've used other protective filters for the DS and DSi and none compare to the Hori brand. I replaced all of them with the Hori filters b/c it fits great and doesn't leave any residue when removed. At first I didn't like that the filter size was a bit smaller than the screen but I realized after trial and error that it's for the purpose of easy removal. I did ruin the 1st Hori filter I installed b/c I didn't follow instructions. I was trying to reposition the filter on the bottom screen b/c it was crooked and instead of using scotch tape to pick up the filter's edge, I used my fingernails to scratch it up...that of course bent the edge.

Ever since I used the filters on the DS and DSi, I had no hesitation in buying Hori again for the DSi XL. I really like how clear it is that you almost don't even know it's there other than seeing the outline of the filter since it is a bit smaller than screen size. It's a little bit more expensive than the other brands, but you get what you pay for...this is much better quality and I haven't had to replace the filters yet (it's been almost 3 years for both systems). My kids play with the DS and DSi almost everyday so the filters take a beating but still holding up. So I know it will protect my DSI XL just the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars quality screen protection, August 21, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
I try to add screen protectors to all or most of my devices, and this is probably the best I've used. There are films over both sides to keep everything as clean as possible right up to the point of application, and the films are easy to remove. The screen protectors themselves are firmer and thicker than most I've seen, which makes the application easier.

The reason I won't give this a full five stars is due to the directions. The directions for applying the top screen were clear, but it just says "the bottom screen is applied in the same way." The problem is, the films are different, and it's unclear which is the up-side and which is the down-side. I tried following the picture, but wound up with my screen protector upside down. This left a slightly tacky fingerprint and dust magnet on the top and an un-clinging surface on the bottom. I tried flipping it around when I realized, but it was already ruined and I had to remove it altogether. I had to return the screen protectors and try again.

The return/exchange process was flawless, by the way, so full points to Amazon!

So, for anyone making this purchase -- for the bottom screen, the oversized film covers the down-side of the screen protector. Take it off first, then apply, and remove the blue film with the tab last. Do this, and you should be quite happy with your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Read the Directions., March 31, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
There are two filters included - one for each screen - and they are not (apparently) the same. I had trouble the first time I put filters on my DS Lite, and I was that problem. I didn't pay enough attention to the directions.

These went on extremely easily the first time on each screen and with absolutely no bubbles. The filter is slightly smaller than the screen. This is good and helped keep out the bubbles since the filter wasn't right up against the frame.

That's how easily things should install. Good job, Hori.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best set of screen protectors I've used., July 16, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
This is the 3rd set of screen protectors I've installed. I like this set the best because they fit very well and they come with 2 protective films on each side of the protectors. The directions were very clear which protector was for the top and which for the bottom, and the films had nice tabs for easy removal - no "scratching" to try to get the film off the protector. Once on, you can hardly tell they are there. My only complaint with this was it was missing the cleaning cloth. We didn't want to wait for a new one to arrive, so just went with it, but was still disappointed as I had to search for another cloth to clean the screens with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase - these are the ones., January 12, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
Ok, so i put the stupid screen savers on that came with the DSi XL case i bought just to get by for a while, as i waited on my HORI screen protectors. It wasn't but 2 days until i noticed all the scratches on those terrible things. Bubbles all over, couldn't get them out, and so i couldn't wait until my HORI savers arrived. They did, immediately, i pulled the old ones off, cleaned the screens, made sure there was no dust flying around, used a cleaning cloth i already had and was very confident in not providing lint, and i put the first one one... it layed down like a breeze, first time, perfect. Second screen was the same, however, ugh, piece of something got under there. No worries. Grabbed scotch tape, lifted up the saver, another piece of scotch tape, used it to pull the undesired object off the backside of the Hori, laid back down the protector, bingo, no bubbles, no object, no worries.
The only thing i didnt love about these was the instructions. Confusing. They try to show you how to do both, but the way they do it isn't very good, because the savers dont have #s on them or words that say "TOP" and "BOTTOM" or "VIEW SCREEN" and "TOUCH SCREEN" etc. Just know that the blue HORI goes on the bottom. (dont worry, the blue is only a protective piece you pull off when done). The clear HORI with the blue-tab, goes on the top. Don't be suckered in by $7 screen savers at GAMESTOP or WALMART. Get the HORI, and be happy instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Trouble, December 28, 2011
Janice (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
I found it extremely difficult to remove the dust from my brand new DSi XL screens with cloths and ended up using a mini vacuum hose attachment for electronics to get them as clean as possible. But my attempt to apply these screen protectors still failed miserably. The one for the top screen went on OK, with just a few small air bubbles that were easy to smooth out. But the one for the bottom screen ended up with large bubbled areas that would not go away. Furthermore, I could not remove it using sticky tape like you're supposed to, it was on there so tight. I had to use my fingernail, which of course resulted in the film getting ruined with fingerprints. All in all a waste of time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best screen protector ever!, June 2, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
I have many different electronics that I have tried (and failed) to apply screen protectors to in the past. Cell phones, PDAs, my IPOD, my Nook, my son's DSi XL and now my own DSi XL, etc. I always got dust between the protector and the screen, or I did not get it applied just right and then ripped it off to try again only to get more bubbles. I msut say that last night's application of these screen protectors was the first time ever that I've gotten perfect on the first try. I even bought 2 sets knowing full well that they both would most likely fail. No. I'm highly impressed and would definately recommend this product to anyone else. Both protectors came with tabs to help you separate it from the film protecting both sides. I never had to pick them up and reapply and yes, they're thicker and therefore more easily manipulated than thin ones. Can't hardly tell they are even there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this for your DSi XL, April 2, 2010
K. Wright (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
I have one for my Dsi and now that I have a DSi XL then I got this as well. Do read the instructions. Do not apply if you are in a hurry. It will take a little patience but it will be worth it long time. It wears very well and does protect the screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protector, but there's a small caveat, March 31, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
Hori makes great screen protectors for handhelds. But you should know they make them with the one thing I would consider a design flaw overall. It covers the PLAYING AREA but not the entire screen, so be aware when you apply it there will be a gap between the protector and the chassis of the device. But this is offset because you're normally not touching that extreme edge.

That's the only negative thing I can say about these otherwise amazing protector.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Screen protector PERIOD!, June 6, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter (Video Game)
Don't care what other people say, have used everything from the cheap stuff on ebay to the expensive stuff like ZAGG, Hori makes the best screen protectors for DS, DSL, DSi, DSiXL Period! Just read the instructions, don't get the 2 screen protectors confused, take your time with applying the screen protectors and you will be extremely ELATED. Love it! and when i get a 3DS i know HORI screen protectors will be slapped onto those screens.

Nintendo DSi XL Screen Protective Filter