on January 28, 2003
Well, I am a self-proclaimed Nintendo fanatic, but how can anyone pass up on such a cool videogame system? There are tons of games to attract a multitude of gaming tastes. Everything from simple games for kids to role playing games, action adventure, sports and first person shooters. Add into that mix the unsurpassed franchises Nintendo supports that rarely fail to rock the videogaming industry to it's foundation and you've got the hardware that's designed from the ground up to take you into the next level of gaming.
But Nintendo doesn't stop there. With this gaming machine you can add adapters for online play (broadband or dial up) and connect your Game Boy Advance (GBA) to it for trading gaming information between the two devices, opening up hidden ares and expanding your gaming experience. Soon, you'll even be able to play your GBA games on your TV through your GameCube with the Game Boy Player!
The Nintendo GameCube is quite simply a gaming powerhouse! Expanding our ideas of what videogames can do and where they can take us. Join the fun! Don't miss the ride of a lifetime!
on November 26, 2002
I must say after reading many of these reviews it amazes me how many people bicker and fight over which is system is better when it simply boils down to personal preference. I currenlty own a dreamcast, N64, and a gamecube, and I still play all three regularly. The Gamecube is not much difference graphic wise when it comes to the Xbox, or PS2. However, I seen all this hipe on how the Xbox is so much better because its faster, faster yes this is true, but its not the speed of the processor in the console that makes it better its how efficeint all of the components commuicate and work together. For example you could have a Pentimun 4 2.0 GHZ, with 512 MB of RAM and the best video card out that there, but if you using a [bad] motherboard your not going to get anywhere near your PC's full potential.
Anyway....This is my recommendation if you already own a PC buy a gamecube (don't get me wrong the Xbox is any excellent system I've played it and found it to be a very nice system but as i said before it simply comes down to what you prefer as a gamer),now your probably wondering why I'm leaning toward the GC. Well for starters the gamecube is cheaper, its got some excellent titles such as metriod prime, mario, resident evil series, eternal darkness, etc., and like I said before if you already own a PC most of the games that come out for the Xbox are either ever already out for the Gamecube or PC or on their way to a store near you such as HALO for the PC which is due out June 14, 2003. I hope this may help some weary buyers trying to decide which system to buy. Happy gaming!...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2004
"PS2 is the best!" "Gamecube sucks!" "XBox rules!" If you've read the reviews for any of these three systems, it's the same thing over and over. Let me ask a question. How many of you have actually played/owned a Gamecube and did NOT like it? My guess is not many. Don't get me wrong Playstation 2 and XBox are both wonderful systems and are worth purchasing. If you only have money for one however, I would choose the Gamecube, and here's why:

Let me first start by saying it IS the cheapest of the three systems, but that doesn't mean it sacrifices anything in quality. What it means is that it can't play DVD's, doesn't have a hard drive, and cannot basically run your life for you! What it is a compact, diverse, and just plain fun system!

The graphics are wonderful. (and only cartoony in cartoon-like games) They are better than PS2 (not bad but this is better) and fall just a hair short of the XBox.

Loading times are basically nonexistent on all but just a few games and those load very quickly. That is a huge advantage over their two competitors.

I feel that they have the most diverse selection of games out of the 3 systems. They have Zelda, Mario, and Metroid Prime 1&2 to name a few, but they also have excellent third party games such as Madden, NBA Live, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, WWE: Day of Reckoning, and countless others. For you mature gamers you have Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, etc. So everyone get this myth out of your head, THIS IS NOT A KID'S SYSTEM! Sure it has games tailored to kids but it has plenty to keep older gamers coming back for more.

I think the Gamecube controller is excellent. It is a bit different but you will find that the button scheme works well on all but just a couple of games. It works about as well as the PS2 controller, and we won't even discuss the mammoth XBox controller.

The only real drawback is the lack of online play, but that isn't particularly devastating. The fact that there are four controller ports (as opposed to just 2 on the other systems) and several addictive four player games more than makes up for that. If, however, you really enjoy playing online PS2 would be the way to go.

Just to wrap up, I think the Gamecube is an excellent system to purchase, although I would still recommend PS2 and XBox as well. What I don't want to see are people that have never played the NGC spouting that it sucks, because people depend on these reviews to make an important decision and I feel it is an injustice to comment on something for which you have little knowledge about. The Gamecube is a wonderful system and definitely worth your $99!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2004
The GameCube is a system above all systems. I love mine, and it is my favorite.
-PROS-
-Small, portable, comes in different colors. I have played it on my friends huge projector, and it hooks up easy and looks great. Okay, okay, different colors aren't great, but it is pretty snazzy.
-Very fast loading times. TAKE THAT Sony and Microsoft!!
-EXCELLENT first party support. Nintendo has Mario Kart: Double-Dash, an awesome game, all sorts of other titles.
-Many original games that none others have. Pikmin, Double-Dash, F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Zelda- with a new one coming up soon!- Star Wars:Rogue Squadron, the list goes on and on!Also many third party support, and other games which are on other consoles, many of them are also on gamecube, like Need For Speed: Underground, Tony Hawk Underground, Splinter Cell, SSX 3, etc.
-Has a great controller... give it a chance, it is very wierd at first but I love it now. Much better than ps2 controller.
-Beautiful Graphics.
-It has the GameBoy Player... GameBoy games on the bigscreen!
-CONS-
-No online play except Phantasy Star Online or whatever... *SNIFF*
-Not as big of a library, although most titles are very high quality.
-Gotta buy memory card, not THAT bad though.
-Doesn't play DVD's and CD's. This isn't as bad as it sounds, and not really a negative. Even though the media seems small, it houses enough space. Get a DVD player if you wish to play them that much, they are only $40 if you look... almost the price of the little doo-dad that you have to buy to watch DVD's on the XBOX (it is about $20). If you are complaining about not playing CD's on it, you should not be reading this. :)
-Okay, some of the games are "kiddy" games, but who can't resist a little Super Monkey Ball or Mario.
Overall this is a great system at a cheap price with an awesome library of amazing games. Get yours today!
on June 19, 2002
The Nintendo GameCube. The first thing you'll probably say when you see this system is, "I didn't know it was that small!" But please, don't pass this one by because of it's size. This system is incredible, and the black color looks great. Sure, it may not be the most powerful or have the most games (yet), but it sure is fun!
I've had my GameCube since the day it came out, and I still play it nearly every day, if I get the chance. The system is just so fun, and you would never think that cute little thing on the ground in front of your television would be capable of creating such a great time.
I'll start with the controller. This controller is the best ever. It fits nearly perfect in any size hands, and it causes no pain at all to fingers (unless you have arthritis I guess) or hands. There is now an enlarged "A" button for games where a single button is used often. The "L" and "R" shoulder buttons now fit perfectly with your index fingers. There is now a "C-stick" instead of the previous "C" buttons on the N64 controller. It moves very smoothly. There are easily accessible "X" and "Y" buttons on top of the "A" button. The "Z" button has been moved beside the right trigger, and that is probably the single worst part about this controller. Overall, the controller is excellent, with only one major flaw (the "Z" button).
Next, the memory card. This memory card is alright, but it doesn't really compare to its counterparts. The XBOX has a hard drive, and the PS2 has a much larger card. The standard Nintendo-brand memory card carries 59 blocks (hence the name Memory Card 59). The average GameCube game can use from three to fifteen blocks, but some of the seasons on sports games can be pretty high, with blocks over the limit of the card. This card definitely needs some improvement, but Nintendo is coming out with the Memory Card 251, with an improved archive of two hundred and fifty one blocks.
Now, for what I consider the most important part of a system: the games. I consider Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II to be the best game for this system at the time. It combines the classic Star Wars movies with a whole new experience for a ton of fun. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is the next best game in my opinion for this system. Whoever has played the Tony Hawk series in the past must have this game, and whoever has never played this one has to play it. It is a skateboarding game, but not just any skateboarding game. It is fun for all players, whether you like skateboarding or not. The whole Resident Evil series has been and is currently in the process of being remade for the GameCube. The original Resident Evil is already out, and I rank it the third best game for this system. Many people have bought a GameCube simply for this game. It has the best graphics EVER for any system I believe. These are just three of MANY other great games for this system. Other greats include Fifa 2002, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros. Melee, NBA Street, SSX Tricky, Super Monkey Ball, and Sega Soccer Slam. There are many more great games for you to choose from, other than the ones I mentioned.
Now, for all you techies like me, I'll give some specs for the system. You don't have to read this part if you're bored already. The GameCube uses a Custom IBM Power PC processor (Gekko). The clock frequency is 485 MHz, and the pixel depth is 24-bit. The System LSI is a Custom ATI ("Flipper"), and all the sound related functions are incorporated into it. The real-world polygons (assuming everything is already textured, lit, etc.) are 6-12 million polygons per second. The media that is used by the GameCube is a 3-inch mini disk that holds approximately 1.5 Gigabytes of data. There are four controller ports, two memory card slots, two high-speed serial ports, one parallel high-speed port, one analog AV output port, and one digital AV output port.
The Nintendo GameCube is an excellent system for all ages. I would recommend it for anyone who is looking forward to having a good time with any kind of video games. Whether you've been playing video games all your life, or you are completely new to them, the GameCube is a great system to have. Nintendo's next-generation system has just received a "Mission Accomplished" in my book. I hope this review could sway a few opinions about the system. And no, I am not an XBOX or a PS2 basher. I love both of those systems too. Thanks for reading this review.
Mark Williams
on August 27, 2004
First off,I AM a female gamer,which may give off the idea I'm serious about this,but hear me out....I'm NOT going to bash X-box or PS2 here.I've played my friends X-box,and it's pretty fun,along with my cousin's PS2.But GameCube reigns superior.

I will admit,the X-box's graphics are a tad better than Gamecube's,but not by much.The graphics are sharp and clear,easily seen.The size of the GameCube is also a plus.It's easy to pack up for vacation,or when your stuck at Grandma's for a weekend.

One of the biggest controvetcies is the DVD/music players.I hate to say it,but who really cares?Nintendo isn't trying to assemeble the 'super-system'.They're staying true to only the best games,and don't NEED the frills to put out quality games.

Games bring me to another topic...I've read complaints from buyers that Gamecube's games are 'childish' or 'cheap'.Maybe it's because I'm a younger gamer,but the games aren't childish,they're FAMILY.And older players can have fun the traditional games...Just last night my parents and myself were taking turns playing the Zelda Collector's Edition (older,but you can't beat 4 games in one disk),proving adults can enjoy the traditional games if they just give 'em a chance.I'll be the first to agree that X-box and PS2 are better for 'mature' games and sports,but they can't even TOUCH the family fun Nintendo brings.

For the bottom line,forget the fanboys.Most aren't even willing to THINK about the pros of other systems.The Gamecube is great fun for a great price.Give it chance,people...You'll most likly like it...;)
on May 23, 2005
It's just beyond me why everyone thinks that NGC is for "little kids" Who really cares if the games aren't violent? Do we live in a society where we can only get fun by blasting guys' heads off? I don't think so. Nintendo makes awesome games like Mario and Zelda that are fun for everyone.

They say the controllers are small. I got news for you, they're almsot the exact same size as a PS2 controller. I own both. Hold up the controllers together, and you'll see. I have pretty big hands, and I think that the controllers are perfect.

Another thing I often hear is that it doesn't play CDs. IT'S A VIDEO GAME CONSOLE! Why on earth does it need to play CDs/DVDs? A game console is meant to play video games. That's what nintendo does. Sony seems to want to make some kind of super multimedia machine. I'm glad that nintendo focuses on the original point of video game consoles.

The only big problem I have with GC is that it doesn't have online capabilities, and no hard drive.(keeping track of all those memory cards gets annoying)

Other than that, don't believe all the stuff you hear about this being a "kiddie system" Unless you're the type who can't enjoy a game that doesn't involve loads of cursing and violence, you'll enjoy GC
on October 19, 2002
The Nintendo Gamecube is an almost flawless system. With new, hip games like StarFox 2, Need For Speed 2, and Super Smash Bros. Mele, it makes it a great system!
The downside is that sometimes the disk readers malfunction. It is a pretty rare thing, but when it happens, it will agitate you greatly. My advice is GET THE WARANTY!
on June 22, 2005
//////////////////////////////////

//Nintendo Gamecube//////////////

////////////////////////////////

Out of my experience with the system I found the system very well made overall. It comes in a few colors indigo (purple a good choice for the female gamer), platinum, and black.

Nintendo's gamecube will pack all users of the system with a varioty of different games for the males and females of different ages.

Here were some of the top games users will be likely to enjoy. (Game Ratings Displayed on side)

1 Player

-Metroid Prime (T)

-Resident Evil 4 (M)

-Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door (E)

-Pikmin 2 (E)

-Eternal Darkness Sanity Requiem (M)

1-4 Players

-Super Smash Bros Melee (T)

-Metroid Prime 2 (T)

Top Female Game

-Animal Crossing (E)

Most Inovated Games

-Donkey Konga (E)

-The Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (E)

-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (E)

-Mario Kart Double Dash (E) (this game can go online go to warppipe.com for more information)

-Super Mario Sunshine (E)

Overall Best Game

-Metroid Prime (T)

Top Exclusive Franshises

-Legend Of Zelda

-Super Mario

-Pikmin

-Star Fox

-Metroid

Overall this system is sort of in the middle of the other consoles. It's less powerfull than the xbox but more powerfull than the ps2, and it comes at a fair price of 100 dollars.

Also for those who don't have the eyes for the game boys there is a useful accessory called the game boy player that hooks on the bottom of the gamecube and lets you play game boy games on the big screen.

If you can wait a year Nintendo's Next Generation system right now called the revolution will be able to download any nintendo game from nintendos 20 year catalouge of games and it will be able to play your gamecube discs.

Also in the future the following are likely to be big hits on the nintendo gamecube

- The Legend Of Zelda: The Twilight Princess (RP) (best in show at e3 2005)

- Geist

- Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix

- Battalion Wars

- Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance

I'm happy if you took the time to read this review I have written.
on June 12, 2002
Like many people, I didn't know which system to buy. Theres Xbox, PS2 and the Gamecube. I've heard bad things about the Xbox like theres not enough good games and the games that are good don't last long. I've also heard it freezes up and over heats. I automatically said no to Xbox. Then theres the PS2. I've heard MANY good things about this system. There are many good games and has a DVD player right out of the box. I don't have a DVD player so that would be a huge advantge. It also plays old PS1 games and I have a Playstation. This sounded like the console to get. I almost forgot about the Gamecube but then I rememberd it. I heard it doesnt play DVDs or CDs or any old Nintendo games. Thats bad. But I rememberd the old NES, SNES, and N64. I had always liked those the best (SNES is my favorite system of all time). I also looked at the Gamecube games. They all looked great. Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Rouge Leader, Pikmin and others that were Nintendo exclusives. Then theres many othere great games to look foward to such as Super Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario Tennis, Mario Party 4 and many other great titles. The Gamecube is also going online. I decited to buy a Gamecube. I haven't regretted it for one second.