Nintendo Makes Fun Games thats all that Matters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2012 6:11:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 7:26:01 AM PDT
this is the most excited i have ever been about a game machine and i have been arount since the atari. Nintendo Entertainment System that is what it is all about not pixels and polygons GPUs and CPUs it nice yest but at the heart of it is the joy of gaming, the "Entertainment" Something most kids fail to understand. Hardcore is what you make of it playing to 100% compleate is hardcore, not a game with explosions that the story sucks and the only reason it is ever played again is multiplayer like Halo (Or Most FPS) and why is uncharted so popular? has anyone everplayed tomb raider 'cause far as I see its a copy, sorry off topic but im tired of the `Hardcore' who do not realize that they are not because anygame can be casual or hardcore it depends on who is playing and what you do in the game. Beat the Original Pac-man Thats HARDCORE or play a few levels thats CASUAL

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:20:52 PM PDT
ILoveGadgets says:
Same here. I am really looking forward to this console. I can see where the new controller can add some really interesting dimensions to game playing. I too have been around a long time, since Pong consoles actually. I also read a review from a journalist who was at E3 and wrote that for those who bothered to play NintendoLand at E3 would have found a really great set of games in there. Most the other stories I read had written off the game nearly immediately. And, if any of the rumors that have been floated turn out to be true, the next gen consoles from the others aren't going to be backwards compatible. If that turns out to be true, then only Nintendo is considering the customer's needs and past investments in games. I was talking with a co-worker who agrees. If it's fun or entertaining, that's all that really matters. It's nice to read something that is positive for a change and not all hater.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 5:23:50 AM PDT
Too many people get caught up with the stats and forget the gameplay. And truth be told there are very few games that push any of the current generation of consoles to their limits. If game designers aren't pushing the current gen consoles to their limts then why build new consoles with higher limits and a higher price? I think Nintendo is on the right track. Hardcore gamers who want the absolute best performance can buy gaming PC's that put any console to shame and pay the premium for the level of performance they want. For more mainstream gamers the current gen consoles are perfectly adequate and fairly affordable. At $150 for an entry level X Box 360/Nintendo Wii and $250 for an entry level Playstation 3 you've got some pretty affordable consoles now on the market. If Microsoft and Sony deliver $500 or higher new consoles that have very impressive stats then they may price themselves out of the market. You like to think Sony learned that lesson with the PS 3 which reportedly cost over $800 to manufacture on release and they still had a hard time selling at $500. When you're selling something for $300 less than it costs to make it and people aren't lining up to buy it, it's a sign that you went the wrong way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:19:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 7:29:36 AM PDT
Agreed XBox might, might have reached its max potential, but there is NO way PS3 has, X-box is holding back its true potential, due to lazy developers not building from ground up and just porting. I can See MS announcing a new system in a few years, but IMO Sony would be foolish to do so. People would buy it yes, but at a high price not too many, it will not last long and they will have to sell at a loss (like all their other systems) PS3 is just turning a profit. I can see a Dreamcast effect for Sony. Best system out there way ahead of its time but came too soon after the Saturn and too expensive. Everyone expects them to annonce a new system, but correct me if im wrong, even at E3 they were sticking to the 10yr life cycle, and I think that will benifit them. The grafics are allready BA, what else can they do?

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 7:21:13 AM PDT
Sony did say they were sticking to the ten year life cycle, but Sony has a history of keeping their old consoles in production long after the new one launches. The original Playstation launched in 1994 and was still available through 2005. The Playstation 2 launched in 2000 (six years after the PS1) and was still available through 2011. The Playstation 3 launched in 2006 (six years after the PS2) so if you go by their history, we're in the window for a Playstation 4 launch. It's been six years since the launch of the PS 3 and that's the window Sony typically uses. They'll likely keep the PS3 in production until 2016/2017 for the ten year lifecycle, but if you go by their history then it's about time they launched a new console.

I read something interesting the other day about the suspected stats for the new Wii U. The article said that they believed that the Wii U had two to three times the capabilities of the current gen consoles and was only limited because Nintendo was under-utilizing the CPU to conserve power, minimize heat, and extend the life of the consoles. That tends to imply it should be relatively simple for Nintendo to boost the performance of the Wii U in the near future by simply unleashing the CPU. I wouldn't be stunned to see a Wii U Plus come out in a couple of years where they simply add extra cooling and unleash the CPU. It should still be backwards compatible and be better equipped to go head to head with the other next gen consoles. It could be a pretty effective strategy on their part.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 3:59:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 6:21:07 AM PDT
Majin says:
I was introduced to gaming in the NES era but my first console was Sega Genesis. Gaming has really changed dramatically over the last couple of decades. New and innovative ideas are critical towards the survival of consoles. PS4 and XBOX 720 or whatever the hell people want to call it are definitely going to be more powerful systems - but they will need to not only incorporate but improve upon what the Wii U offers. Both companies took years to develop their own motion technology just to try to steal some of Nintendo's thunder. PS Move is pretty much a Wii Motion+ clone. Kinect is a work in progress at best.

Online, we're bombarded by the voices of trolls and people who really don't know what they want. Its a minority of people who run these anti-Nintendo campaigns but their voices easily reach the masses due to the internet. And they're not even truly content with the games on the other systems. Imperfect people demanding perfection. Also there are just far too many games coming out. Players just rush to beat one then move onto the next. There's endless previews and a massive build-up of hype for a game for over a year. It comes out and then shortly after its pretty much forgotten. Aside from a select few on each system, there's little replay value or long-lasting appeal. I feel like developers are taking in feedback from the wrong group of players. Now there's this stereotype where ultraviolence and extreme sexuality make you a hardcore gamer while anything else makes you a casual game. To me, a Mario game is always a source of fun and challenge while games like Call of Duty, Gears of War or Final Fantasy 13 just get stale and redundant. I've been playing Ocarina of Time for like 15 years now and I still love it! Nintendo makes games that pass the test of time and they change the way we play.

Wii U is awesome.

One thing though I have to say regarding the release dates of the new consoles is that Nintendo is releasing this system while the economy is still in the dumps. Top economists have stated since back in 2008 that the financial crisis wouldn't make any significant improvements until 2014-2015 which is when the rival consoles will be out. Fortunately Nintendo does have a head start so perhaps they'll be even have a price drop around the time the other systems arrive to lure in more customers.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:31:50 AM PDT
hey, majin, i couldn't have said it better.

one thing though, people all of the time say that the ps4 and 720 will no doubt have better specs, but, nintendo always delivers better games and game changing experiences. i never understood that. the wii was the only console that had worse specs. then others from that generation. the N64, better then ps1. (i'm not sure about the other systems out at the time) gamecube, better then ps2, but no where near as good as the original xbox. so, tell me again why it is expected that nintendo will have the worst specs? i mean, if they said second worst, i would shut up. because, that could be true. but THE worst. i just don't get it.
it's like even the fan boys of nintendo, (who i hate talking with, because they are irrational) will not even see the truth, when they're defending nintendo.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:58:01 AM PDT
No one outside of Nintendo really knows what the stats will be for the Wii U, just like no one outside of Sony or Microsoft truly knows what the stats will be for their new consoles. The manufacturers just aren't releasing that information at this time. With the Wii U at least we know some of the details of the hardware and based on that people are assuming the Wii U will be the worst of the three next gen consoles. In truth though every console made for the mass market will be worse than a gaming PC. If you're buying a console for the stats, then you'd be better off buying a gaming PC.

Console makers have to balance a lot of factors in their decision as to what hardware to use. If they use the absolute state-of-the-art hardware then the price of the console would soar to $2000 or more to manufacture. Sony's PS3 just now is making a profit on console sales and it's a small profit. Originally they were believed to be losing over $200 on each console sold. Losing money on the hardware is not a smart move if it can be avoided.

Nintendo is upping the stakes in the console hardware war with the Wii U. It's generally believed to be superior to the hardware now in use in the PS3 and the X Box 360. The tablet controller gives gamers some interesting new gaming options. People who want to dismiss it are saying that the hardware in the new Microsoft/Sony machines will be superior and it may well be, but even their hardware will be inferior to a gaming PC. I personally think Nintendo's approach is sound. They've developed a game console that's superior to everything else currently on the market, they've kept the cost reasonably low, they may even make money on each console sold. If the Wii U sells like the Wii sold and Microsoft/Sony price themselves out of the marketplace by using more state-of-the-art hardware, then all of the talk of Nintendo being the worst will be quickly forgotten.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 1:22:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 1:10:57 PM PDT
Kirk Travel says:
@ David W. Trojanowski, Donald A. Shinn, Kennith L. Blankenship, ILoveGadgets, & Majin

I feel that every whom has posted here. Has a valid idea of what Nintendo does, which should be: "making games". That what is their business is built on, delivering pure entertainment that equates to quality fun at low costs. However I do love both my Wii and my 360, but heck I still love my Dreamcast even more! It is possibly one of the greatest consoles ever released. It had introduced us to many now rare and great games from Sega and was only short lived because of the PS2 launch up ahead in March the next year of that faithful Christmas, where I felt the DC dying at 60$ a pop. If it wasn't for the DC we may not have online gaming on consoles & handhelds today, among other nice things. Usually DC owners fondly remember it, because it was good.

Get to know the DC a bit better and understand why it fell apart, Maybe you'd get a better idea of how these giants do make consoles- each with their own marketing schemes, quirks, and strategies. All I know for sure is that once you sell the 'razor'(system/console), you gotta sell the most 'blades' (games) for the right price. Which is a hard thing to do, it involves a lot of guess work and evaluation.

Since were all feeling quite nostalgic check this out, its a show called Play Value on you guessed it- The Evolution of Video Games:

http://www.youtube.com/user/playvalue/videos

Here is the DC video I recommend watching: (also from Play Value)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awg3UZs9J_E&feature=plcp

*Note that the show is now defunct, but still is open to public for viewing :]

I hope you enjoyed what little insight I could provide. FYI: I might not have been born in the same time frame as those of you from the Atari and Magnavox Oddessy days, but I grew up with that too- much like Majin but unlike him maybe. I did "the whole nine yards" from the Arcade to Home Consoles and PCs & moved up to the NES and then each one after each other and so on. So I do indeed get the point of view here & sense a bit of frustration with the younger gen like I do, but I usually keep it to myself. Unless otherwise out in a circumstance for where it'd be required. Also, in case you wondered I was late 80's born and 23 going 24 sometime this August.

I'm actually happy for Nintendo for the Wii U, I hope it does well. :]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 2:51:25 AM PDT
To me, the Wii U seems like it will be the best Nintendo system since SNES...

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 6:13:34 AM PDT
The Wii-U has a ton of potential. I think the games that come in the future will be even better as developers really start to explore the dual screens and play with the capabilities. I'm especially intrigued by the possibilities with two players each with the tablet controller. Nintendo added that capability a bit late for the launch games, but in a year or so we should be seeing games developed with that capability in mind and that could really open up some interesting options. I suspect that games like Madden 2013 will exploit the two controller option and other games will quickly follow. There's a lot of potential there.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 1:44:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012 1:48:59 PM PDT
Kirk Travel says:
@ Donlad A. Shinn:

It has much to offer indeed, but whether a developer chooses to utilize it's full potential or not depends on the games they put out and whom buys them (target audience). If you looked at the Wii market right now vs its early life- I feel that there are less in-house Nintendo games than the usual bevy since the N64- which is why the Wii is often picked on, for better lack there of Nintendo games or the like.

There also happens to be the matter of the motion tech being held back, but they did it so that we could get in on the Wii waggling fun earlier and eventually released Motion plus while apologizing formally for this not being there in the first place. Whatever our new Wii-U companion winds up doing, I hope it adds good improvement and functionality overall to the basic Wii we already know and love. All that aside the usual shovel-ware complaints for the Wii itself. I think the Wii-U is the great little device that could help change the way we play, its only true "competitor" is of course the Smart Glass software app by Microsoft. I'd imagine both will offer things differently and the Wii U having an edge with its dedicated hardware in addition to the Wii itself.

Right now I admit the only reason for me wanting a Wii-U at all is the new Pikman 3 game, but its all good! I'd be sure to pick up a Wii-U later or even sooner enough, just give me at least a good supply of Pikmen Wii-U, Mario Bros Wii-U, Kriby_Wii-U and Legend of Zelda Wii-U titles :D

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 7:17:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 7:18:41 PM PDT
Momiji-k says:
David W. Trojanowski, Thank you!! You've said exactly what my husband and I say all the time. I HATE the whole "hardcore" gaming label. What the heck does that make me? I've been playing video games for almost 30 years. I started with Intellivision and kept going. I LOVE video games for what they are, something fun! I don't care about graphics just fun games. My favorite games these days are JRPGs and other anime style games (and anything Nintendo brand)... but I used to play EVERYTHING back in the days of the old systems. Atari, NES, SNES, Turbografx-16, the list goes on. Those were the days when games were all about fun instead of blood and bullets. Who's hardcore now?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 11:22:39 AM PDT
R. Pickman says:
I've always said, a system is only as good as its game library. I don't care how much memory it has, how beefy the processor, if no one is developing anything for it, it's just a fancy doorstop. I don't care whose logo is slapped on the front of it, if it's got a solid library, I'll take it.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:21:54 AM PDT
the wii u wont just have fun games it will also have better graphic then the other 2 consoles on the market this is already a fact even though the sony boys wont agree there already hurt nintendo took monster hunter..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:40:03 AM PDT
I love MH Japan gets it day one we have to wait till march :( they also get DQ 10 right away, but I prob wont get DQ unless it has an offline mode as well.. I just cant see paying $13 every month for a game I have paid $60 for, Square need to do what Capcom did with MH and make it free to go online!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:00:25 AM PST
M. Quimby says:
Those were the days when people published garbage and everyone ate it because there was no alternative. There were a lot of great games, but if you go through those old libraries of games without rose-tinted nostalgia glasses you'll see that the good games then are still being made now - still the SOS - If you compare good games vs. garbage on those systems - you're going to see at least 10 garbage for 1 decent game. Name 1 good game and I'll counter with 20 horrible games from said system. The Wii was the modern day equivalent with more shovelware built around a gimmick, and if the Wii U does 1/2 as well as the Wii did for the first 2 years, you're going to see a repeat. If you're cool with buying a system for a handful of first party games stretched over a 6 year period - be my guest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:05:46 AM PST
M. Quimby says:
Great - you know last year Nintendo wrote-off Gamecube backwards compatibility to save a few dollars in hardware on the Wii right? That's considering a customer's needs right there. I was talking with a vegetable who agrees. If it's fun or entertaining that's the ONLY thing that matters - and since the Wii hasn't had that for years with the exception of like 2 games - I better buy the new system!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:06:24 AM PST
M. Quimby says:
Yes, that's why the 360 is still outselling everything else - in terms of both hardware and software.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:57:05 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Better hardware leads to better games, and more possibilities for storytelling. The very fact you bring up the NES illustrates you know that fact-The NES could do things the Atari VCS couldn't. The SNES more, the PS1 more, etc.

Yes, "fun games" are what matters, but 1) everyone has a different sense of what's fun, and 2) the Wii U will be like the Wii-because they're using currently current gen and soon to be last gen technology, most serious game development outside Nintendo will hit the true next gen systems. Buy it for the exclusives, but don't expect anything but a repeat of the Wii for game support.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:14:16 PM PST
WHat I don't understand is why did they release 2nd Wii and then make the Wiiu and it doesn't interact with the second wii. Nobody has money to keep running out buying new systems, it doesn't make sense. I understand it's a bigger and better console but now everybody that went out and brought the 2nd one has to sell it to get the wii u. Why didn't they just make a 4gb system to interact wii the 2nd wii? At lease people could upgrade the system instead of having to buy a whole new system, work with your customers, it's bad enough it doesn't do the things that the PS3 or Xbox doesn't. And why isn't there more programs to work with and interact with on the internet like there is on the PS3 and Xbox?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:25:21 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I'm not sure what you mean by a "second Wii". The Wii was released in 2006...it's basically a Gamecube in terms of hardware, but has it's own software. Wii U is of course this year. Nothing in between.

Don't know what you mean about "doesn't interact with".

I have serious problems with both systems-they're using gimmicks instead of releasing modern hardware-but they shipped 6 years apart which is totally normal for consoles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:26:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 10:04:22 PM PST
I think the second wii you mean is the 2nd model Wii, which was not a new system, more of a redesign or a slim model. It played all of the retail games from the original Wii.
The Wii U is a completely new system, not a new controller. If you bought a Wii but really want a Wii U, you can transfer your Wii system data (Mii characters, save data, downloaded titles) to the Wii U, regardless whether it is a original or slim model.
I am not sure what you mean by interact with the internet. The Wii U has a internet browser, video services (like Youtube & Netflix), a social network (Miiverse), and recently received the update to begin use of the TVii service. That seems like a lot of internet functionality to me.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:52:27 AM PST
Back on topic bump.

Which recently revealed games is everyone looking forward to. For me it is Yoshi Land U (is the name really confirmed as Yarn Yoshi?) and Mario 3D U (i loved the Galaxy series, can't wait to see what they do next).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 2:32:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2013 2:34:09 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Green Eggs & Yoshi:
Heh, I guess Nintendo is still using the console in a title as apart of the label for almost every game. NES didn't do that nor the SNES, it actually started w/the 64 ex: Super Mario 64, then the Wii and now the Wii U shortened to the U. Here come the 'U' jokes, I know it. Wii had been picked on cause of the name, in various ways that I dont need to point out.

Also I haven't played a great Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island 64 which got re-named to Yoshi's Story. I will look forward to a full blown Yoshi game again. Yoshi-Land U looks like fun one. like Yoshi's Island 64, it too probably got renamed. As this is not uncommon for projects still in development.

Yarn Yoshi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_Yoshi

To give a straight answer, yes it does seem to have a goal of emulating the Kirby's Yarn theme. to a certain point I'd guess. It doesn't bother me as long as I can enjoy it.

I've said this before Pikmen 3 Wii-U is my primary goal for Wii-U! :]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - White
Nintendo Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - White by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (230)