4.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set, K'nex
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:39 Mins
Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set

This took about an hour to put together, including adding all the stickers.
Published on October 6, 2012 by Kindle Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating.
I've been playing Mario titles, including the Kart series since they were first introduced. Now that I'm an adult, I still enjoy video games and collect video game related items. I thought that this would be a great addition to my collection.

Published on October 20, 2012 by T. Paslay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set, K'nex, October 6, 2012
Length:: 1:39 Mins

Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set

This took about an hour to put together, including adding all the stickers.
Everyone in my family (aged 8-adult), including myself, had a lot of fun playing with this set. The instructions say from 6 and up and I agree because there are lots of small pieces and the younger kids should be supervised while the track is being put together.
Although we would play this for minutes at a time it is a toy that we all go back to throughout the day. As a parent, I like this factor as the longevity of this building set will outlast a lot of other toys around the house. I also have the K'nex Fire Challenge set and I am going to see if I can combine them for more fun.
The cars take 2 triple A batteries which are NOT included. You need a very small screw driver to undo the screw and slide the battery lid forward; the cars can go off track which adds to the playability of this set.
Here is a video of the track in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Kids Had a Blast Putting this together, November 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Or maybe I should say they had a blast incorporating it into Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set. They tore up part of their existing track and added the ice obstacles into their already existent track. this makes a decent addition to an existing set of track and I can only assume that it would stand alone fine as well, although the addition of two more cars greatly added to the excitement.

Pros
+ Construction took quite a while, keeping boys occupied
+ Mario Theme is perfect
+ Mario Characters are spot on
+ Lots of laughter and activity keeping four cars going on the track

Cons
- Batteries in the cars run down very fast.
- Not as flexible as Legos
- Takes up a lot of room and not simple to break down and throw back together.

Summary
All in all, this is a very good set although it might be small as a stand alone. It is nice to see the tracks get combined and recombined. It was worth it just to see the excitement of the boys building and the laughter of them chasing errant cars that jumped the track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly fun, October 26, 2012
John K. (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I know, you're thinking what I'm thinking, how fun can a little oval track be? Well, my two little boys have been playing off and on with this for a solid two weeks, maybe more, and they still get a kick out of it. It's pretty easy to assemble, and the instructions are in pictures so they're universal. If your kid is old enough, maybe he/she can even do it by him/herself. The only trick is, there are two plastic wheels and two rubber wheels for each car, and the rubber wheels have to go on the back for good traction. Once you get this right, you'll have the cars going around the track really fast. And the cars can go on regular floors too, for even more fun. So I do highly recommend this toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to play with., October 11, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My boys who are 6,6, and 5 really had lots of fun putting this together and playin with it. It does take awhile to get together but they really loved doing this as they like building stuff. Instructions were easy to follow. They also love racing the cars on the track but had more fun playing with them on the ground as the track is only wide enough for one car. Overall a great toy for children who love Mario, racing, or putting things together. It would be lots more fun if the track was wider and it had more cars for all of my kids but I guess that why they want you to buy the other sets and put them together.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating., October 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The interesting thing about this set, that I didn't realize until I received it, is that it is K'nex. It's officially licensed Nintendo and has it all over the box, but it is a K'nex set. K'nex is essentially somewhere between Lego and Tinker Toys, and I was never much of a fan of their products. However, for the most part, this seems to be a decent set overall.

The qualities I'm pleased with is the overall packaging and design of the set. The figures and karts are well made, the little squid and star are cool. The track design is nothing spectacular. The little jump in the middle is kind of cool, but the track is shorter than I thought it was going to be. Shooting the Penguin is a fun concept. Overall, as an item to put up on my shelf and add to my collection, I'm relatively pleased.

In terms of what most people are going to buy this for, a toy for them or their children, it falls flat on its face. The plastic is pretty light weight. If someone were to trip over the set, it probably wouldn't live to tell the tale. As mentioned, the squid and star are cool, but serve no real purpose in terms of actually playing with the set. The BIGGEST problem, as many others have stated, is that this racing set doesn't allow you to race. I assumed this would be similar to the slot car sets we raced as kids, but it's not. What makes it even more frustrating is the picture on the box clearly shows a wide track with two cars racing. The track isn't even big enough to allow one car to pass the other. Essentially you're expected to put one car in the lead and watch it, and the car chasing it, go round in a circle until you're bored. Sticker sheets are always poor design choices for toys. Stickers rarely stick well to plastic and once they start peeling, it makes things look worse than it would have without the stickers.

Another feature that interested me in the set (enough for me to get the Fire Challenge set as well) is that you can put multiple sets together to create larger tracks. How great would it be to be able to come up with your own custom tracks? Again, because the cars don't race each other, it's not very great at all apparently. Overall this set fails in terms of being a toy. For a whopping $60 (more than the actual Mario Kart video games) you have a small racing set that doesn't allow you to race. Under no circumstances can I see this being fun enough for children to justify the price tag.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo mario and bowsers ice, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set (Toy)
The box was open and wasn't sure if everything was there and the shipper said that they didn't have another

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a fun track, but once your cars start to run ..., January 9, 2015
This review is from: Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set (Toy)
My son loves Mario Kart, the penguin blaster didn't work so well, or maybe we just couldn't figure out the instructions. Its a fun track, but once your cars start to run a bit out of batteries then they fall out of the track (I bought good batteries and they run out very fast) the lego type pices fall off very easily. But at the end of the day my son doesn't mind and plays with it all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 year old boy loves this!, April 20, 2013
Ted (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 5 year old nephew loves race tracks and this one didn't disappoint. Although I have to admit the fact that it is Mario and Bowser impressed me much more. It is a cool track that isn't too complicated to set up or have the cars navigate. It is hours of fun away from the Tv if you can't go outside. I would give this as a gift again. Great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Hesitate, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Nintendo Mario and Bowsers Ice Race Building Set (Toy)
You shouldn't hesitate to purchase this for your child if he/she loves building things. That's the extra bonus with this package. Once assembled, it's a rewarding toy to play with. Lots of excitement and it stays together well. Decent battery life and easy to buy additional sets to go with it. My son has played the Wii Mario Kart for a year and loves every second, so this was expanding on the same theme but provides "hands-on" work and experience following directions. It's a fun project to do with your child and really fun to play together too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short lived fun..., February 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For my 7 year old son's birthday, we bought him this Mario racing set. It's been fairly easy to put together, but we did run into a few problems. Some of the wheels need to be put on certain cars, or you'll find they don't move or jump the jump correctly. Basically put one set of wheels on each cart, and you should be fine. The other thing we ran into is that you need to make sure to put in the locking pieces between the track parts. Otherwise, once you get racing, it quickly falls apart. It's a petty sweet toy for a few minutes of entertainment, but that quickly subsides after you watch the carts go around the track so many times. We often find ourselves using the carts separately of the track, and racing them on the kitchen floor. Not that that is a much more entertaining way to do things, but at least its different.

It's a decent toy. Not too hard to put together, and works fine (assuming you get it all put together right). Beyond that, there isn't too much too it. Cars race around a track by themselves. Not much more than that. I've been told there are other sets like this that you can combine this with, but we only have the one. My son continues to play with it here and there, but it isn't a huge hit anymore.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›