5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun~Lot a time to assemble.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:10 Mins
Published on October 19, 2012 by kindred spirit

3.0 out of 5 stars So much fun - if only it would stay together!
Published on October 2, 2012 by Amy Mcfarland

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun~Lot a time to assemble., October 19, 2012
Length:: 0:10 Mins

This set is very large, it is 5 feet in length. It has 665 pieces and it took me about 6 hours over 24 hr time period. I did it alone it would go much faster with 2 people. The instructions are just pictures and at times are not quite detailed enough. The one big suggestion I have is to open all the bags and separate the pieces with like pieces. They are not really grouped together with what they connect to. I didn't put the cars together until last and the bag looked to contain only car stuff. So all the time I was looking for the little black end caps for the guard rails and they were in that bag.

I put it together as the instructions state but I do think it would be great for kids to make up their own tracks too. If you already have K'Nex sets then these will work together. The cars go around quite fast and the track hold together well, I was afraid it may fall apart but it doesn't. The only problem if you can call it that the cars get stuck sometimes under the swinging traps.

I made a short video clip so you can see it in action after waiting 2 hrs for it to upload it told me it was too large.So you get a really fast look and not all the details I had pointed out. I had to put my ironing board by the table as it was too big for the table and I was not up to doing all that work sitting on the floor. There are so very many tiny pieces so beware of small children and pets. One of the wheels fell on the floor and my dog got it, he could have choked had I not seen it right away.

Overall this is a lot of fun. I have always enjoyed putting things together, I will admit at 56 yrs old it was a challenge at times. You will need 4 AAA batteries that are not included. My advice start early in the day to put this together. I do think it will encourage imagination as children can create any number of different tracks. It doesn't come with any ideas but I see the potential. You could make smaller tracks when time is limited. I plan to just take this apart in sections so each time it comes out of the box it will not take so long to assemble.

3.0 out of 5 stars So much fun - if only it would stay together!, October 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son loves legos and Mario, and the idea of combining the two thrilled him! He could not wait to start assembling the track when he saw this box. It really is massive, and takes up a good deal of space in his room. While the box says this is appropriate for ages six and above, I can't see the average six year old being able to tackle this project without a lot of adult help (which is part of the fun in my opinion, but beware!). The kit comes with almost 700 pieces in neatly packaged sections. The instructions are fairly straightforward - there was only one spot where we couldn't quite understand what the diagram implied. With adults and kids working together, it still took about four hours over the course of a few days. It's that big!
The track itself is neat. It comes with two cars and the means to build Mario and Toad for said cars. They are battery powered, and zip along pretty quickly along the track. The cars also zip on wood floors for added fun while the track is being tediously assembled.
Our main issue came with keeping the track assembled. The pieces just don't go together as well as traditional legos or racing track, at least with our kit. Every time my son would move the sliding piranha, that section of track would come detached. We'd get it back together and the little obstacle section would fall apart. It's good for about two laps around the track before some adjustments are needed. My son gets a little frustrated, but still says the track is a lot of fun.
Overall, it's a neat set-up. It has some twists and turns, the Mario characters and two zippy little cars. Building takes hours, but again, it's a nice project to work on together. Aside from the instability issues, I'd recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Occasional Short Sessions, October 3, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Don't get me wrong with my 3 star rating - there's absolutely nothing wrong with this Mario-themed K'nex set. The construction quality is good, the set is sturdy once assembled, and the cars and components will hold up to use over time even in the hands of rambunctious little ones. Assembling the set was fun, probably even more so for dad than for my 7 year old son, as he doesn't yet quite have the patience needed for an hour or two project getting a toy ready for play. The reason that I am not giving this a higher rating is because it simply isn't very interactive. My son was very excited when we finished building it and fired the cars up for their initial laps, and he really loved watching the cars zip around the track...for a while. But after the initial excitement wore off, I've found that he hasn't played with the set very much at all. Aside from watching the cars go round and round, there isn't really much to do with this set. There are a few pieces that you can use to "attack" the cars as they race, but all you're really doing is blocking the car so that it just stops in place. That's about all there is to do with this other than just watch the cars go.

Consider my review in light of your own child's interests and play styles and take it for what it's worth to you. My son tends to like hands-on, interactive, social play activities so this just doesn't really fit the bill for him and he has barely used it since the first day he got it. This will be one of those things he pulls out once every blue moon for a short spell and back in the box it goes. Your child may love it, but for us it's only "okay".

One last thing - the completed set is pretty big, measuring about 4' x 5 1/2'. Keep this in mind as you consider how practical it might be for you & your child.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing..., December 26, 2012
This review is from: Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set (Toy)
My son got this for Christmas. He wanted it so badly. He's a builder (age 8), so he essentially put it together on his own. It took him a couple of hours. He likes building, so for him this wasn't a problem. The big disappointment for us is the carts. They are slow, and Toad can't even make it up the inclines without a little push. Toad also can't make it over the little jump. I've tried putting in fresh batteries (though they were new batteries in the first place), I've tried cleaning the wheels... I don't know what to do to make them go fast. He's still okay with the toy, but the racing part of it is a let down. We'll probably just make our own flat track. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Think of this more as a project/activity than a "toy", December 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you can purchase this at a discount, it's worth giving a look. My interest in the Mario building set was to have a project and spend the time together working on the creation and that's exactly what this set is. It will require time, patience, cooperation and is possible to build on many valuable skills while working on this building set. It is quite impressive upon first sight, though a little daunting. If you/your child want to rush to the end result of racing this could be a source of frustration. I cannot stress enough it is enjoyable more as an activity to do with your children or the older ones to work on with the younger ones. Some people are more inclined to building so I can't say what age kids would really be able to or want to do this independently. All in all I do like this set however I can see how some (parents and children alike) could be disappointed, overwhelmed or just plain frustrated with it. It's a journey not a destination!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not worth the time it takes to set up/take down., October 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This circuit track is much larger than I would have thought and there was no place in my home to leave it fully assembled without it being in the way. So not only is it a pain to put together (especially with the kids attempting to help) but it is equally annoying to take apart to store back in the box. The track, once set up, is fun to play with and does a lot but in the end is not worth the amount of work it takes to get ready for play. You can also end up with pieces flying everywhere if you have an excitable child that might be rough with this, too much for the lower age recommended on this, I think it would be better for much older kids.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Total waste of money!, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set (Toy)
I have been disappointed in toys plenty of times but I have never taken the time to write about it, until now. My 6yr old son LOVES Mario Kart and wanted this set for his birthday. He was thrilled to get it and don't you know we have to immediately assemble it. The directions were less than stellar and no way a 6 yr old could build this, which is fine but it took hours, on & off to complete. Once finished we put brand new batteries is the motorized Karts, and to our surprise, the couldn't even make it around the track, much less get up the incline, and in no way could it make it over the jump. My son was so disappointed in this set it has now been 2 weeks since his birthday and the set hasn't been touched. Huge waste of $50. I was even so disappointed in the quality of the set I sent K'Nex customer service a respectful e-mail...they did not respond at all. Way to stand by your product. I guess it's headed for the recycling.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 21, 2014 2:12:02 PM PDT
Greetings from K'NEX. We are sorry to hear that you have had a disappointing experience with your new set. K'NEX Consumer Services can definitely help. Give them a call at 1(800)KID-KNEX and they will be happy to help with replacing any defective or broken parts.

-Your Friends at K'NEX

2.0 out of 5 stars Some serious flaws, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set (Toy)
Bought this for my seven-year old godson. Very excited about it. Took a good amount of time to construct and that was fine - all part of the fun of a set like this. However, when we were all done and ready to race, neither of the cars had enough power to climb any of the modest hills of the track as designed and built. And we used brand new batteries. Eventually retrieved another K'Nex Mario car from another set we have (slightly different and smaller design of the car) and that car worked. But crazy that this set comes with cars that can't perform on this building set.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't bother, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set (Toy)
After putting this together for 2+hours the cars failed to work properly. Very disappointing and upsetting to my Mario fan.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Feb 14, 2014 8:17:37 AM PST
Greetings from K'NEX. We are sorry to hear that you have had such a disappointing experience with your new set. K'NEX Consumer Services can definitely help. Check to be sure that the softer black tires are on the rear wheels of each kart (they provide the traction) and the hard slick black tires are on the front wheels of each kart (they provide the stability) and that you have firmly locked the kart bodies onto the motors by snapping them down and sliding them forward slightly to lock them in place. If you still need assistance, give K'NEX Consumer Services a call at 1(800)KID-KNEX and they will be happy to help you get your karts operating properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set (Toy)
I was hesitant to purchase this set due to the mixed reviews and price even though I got a deal of the day which was 60% off list. My girls who like Mario Kart love this set and it took them less than 2 hours to put it together with some guidance. The cars are fast but do run the batteries down quickly. Cars have enough power to propel themselves up the ramps. When they can't, it's time to change the batteries or change the course to a single level. This set has enough pieces to make other racetrack courses if you have imagination. It can be combined with other compatible sets such as the expansion set to provide even more options. The quality of this set is good.

Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set