Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nintendo Mario Circuit Ultimate Building Set
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This set is very large, it is 5 feet in length. It has 665 pieces and it took me about 6 hours over 24 hr time period. I did it alone it would go much faster with 2 people. The instructions are just pictures and at times are not quite detailed enough. The one big suggestion I have is to open all the bags and separate the pieces with like pieces. They are not really grouped together with what they connect to. I didn't put the cars together until last and the bag looked to contain only car stuff. So all the time I was looking for the little black end caps for the guard rails and they were in that bag.

I put it together as the instructions state but I do think it would be great for kids to make up their own tracks too. If you already have K'Nex sets then these will work together. The cars go around quite fast and the track hold together well, I was afraid it may fall apart but it doesn't. The only problem if you can call it that the cars get stuck sometimes under the swinging traps.

I made a short video clip so you can see it in action after waiting 2 hrs for it to upload it told me it was too large.So you get a really fast look and not all the details I had pointed out. I had to put my ironing board by the table as it was too big for the table and I was not up to doing all that work sitting on the floor. There are so very many tiny pieces so beware of small children and pets. One of the wheels fell on the floor and my dog got it, he could have choked had I not seen it right away.

Overall this is a lot of fun. I have always enjoyed putting things together, I will admit at 56 yrs old it was a challenge at times. You will need 4 AAA batteries that are not included. My advice start early in the day to put this together. I do think it will encourage imagination as children can create any number of different tracks. It doesn't come with any ideas but I see the potential. You could make smaller tracks when time is limited. I plan to just take this apart in sections so each time it comes out of the box it will not take so long to assemble.
55 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son loves legos and Mario, and the idea of combining the two thrilled him! He could not wait to start assembling the track when he saw this box. It really is massive, and takes up a good deal of space in his room. While the box says this is appropriate for ages six and above, I can't see the average six year old being able to tackle this project without a lot of adult help (which is part of the fun in my opinion, but beware!). The kit comes with almost 700 pieces in neatly packaged sections. The instructions are fairly straightforward - there was only one spot where we couldn't quite understand what the diagram implied. With adults and kids working together, it still took about four hours over the course of a few days. It's that big!
The track itself is neat. It comes with two cars and the means to build Mario and Toad for said cars. They are battery powered, and zip along pretty quickly along the track. The cars also zip on wood floors for added fun while the track is being tediously assembled.
Our main issue came with keeping the track assembled. The pieces just don't go together as well as traditional legos or racing track, at least with our kit. Every time my son would move the sliding piranha, that section of track would come detached. We'd get it back together and the little obstacle section would fall apart. It's good for about two laps around the track before some adjustments are needed. My son gets a little frustrated, but still says the track is a lot of fun.
Overall, it's a neat set-up. It has some twists and turns, the Mario characters and two zippy little cars. Building takes hours, but again, it's a nice project to work on together. Aside from the instability issues, I'd recommend it.
on October 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Don't get me wrong with my 3 star rating - there's absolutely nothing wrong with this Mario-themed K'nex set. The construction quality is good, the set is sturdy once assembled, and the cars and components will hold up to use over time even in the hands of rambunctious little ones. Assembling the set was fun, probably even more so for dad than for my 7 year old son, as he doesn't yet quite have the patience needed for an hour or two project getting a toy ready for play. The reason that I am not giving this a higher rating is because it simply isn't very interactive. My son was very excited when we finished building it and fired the cars up for their initial laps, and he really loved watching the cars zip around the track...for a while. But after the initial excitement wore off, I've found that he hasn't played with the set very much at all. Aside from watching the cars go round and round, there isn't really much to do with this set. There are a few pieces that you can use to "attack" the cars as they race, but all you're really doing is blocking the car so that it just stops in place. That's about all there is to do with this other than just watch the cars go.

Consider my review in light of your own child's interests and play styles and take it for what it's worth to you. My son tends to like hands-on, interactive, social play activities so this just doesn't really fit the bill for him and he has barely used it since the first day he got it. This will be one of those things he pulls out once every blue moon for a short spell and back in the box it goes. Your child may love it, but for us it's only "okay".

One last thing - the completed set is pretty big, measuring about 4' x 5 1/2'. Keep this in mind as you consider how practical it might be for you & your child.
on December 26, 2012
My son got this for Christmas. He wanted it so badly. He's a builder (age 8), so he essentially put it together on his own. It took him a couple of hours. He likes building, so for him this wasn't a problem. The big disappointment for us is the carts. They are slow, and Toad can't even make it up the inclines without a little push. Toad also can't make it over the little jump. I've tried putting in fresh batteries (though they were new batteries in the first place), I've tried cleaning the wheels... I don't know what to do to make them go fast. He's still okay with the toy, but the racing part of it is a let down. We'll probably just make our own flat track. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
on February 10, 2013
My son loves building toys, race cars and Mario, this product should have been a winner. Construction wasn't that difficult, but the fact is that once constructed, the product was barely functional. After running through several sets of fresh AAA batteries, none provided enough power for the car to get up the ramp without a manual nudge by my son...and once the car did make it up the ramp, more than half the time the car jumped the track and ended up on the floor next to the track. If not for the fact that there are about 100 stickers that we applied as part of the construction, I would be inclined to take it apart and return it for my money back. What an extraordinary waste of money!
on September 8, 2014
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas last year and she loves it. Took about 45 minutes to put together (connecting the tracks and support, building the chain chomp and flower, etc). My daughter loves playing with the cars and watching them race around the track avoiding the chain chomp, flower, and jumping over the gap. I will admit the way they built the K'NEX to have the cars split in the wider part of the track was pretty cool. Disassembling was easy, I disconnected in the middle of the wider section of track (across from it was the gap so didn't have to disconnect anything on that side) and put it under the bed. The star, trophy, mushroom, and POW block is a nice touch. Being able to move the chain chomp and flower back and forth was a good design. The only issue, as many pointed out is battery life. It quickly goes through batteries, I gave up on rechargeable AAA that I have as I was charging them every other day. Potentially using bigger batteries would help, or use a different motor mechanism.
on January 1, 2015
My 9 yo was thrilled with this track. He wanted a much more expensive one at a local store--it was more like a train set and way out of our budget. This K'nex set allows him to build it and play with it for hours. He needed something that would get him away from the computer; ironically it's based on video game characters. He loves Mario Bros. He's played with it every day since Christmas.
on February 6, 2015
Got this for my son's 10th birthday, and he couldn't have been more excited. This was his 4th track set. He said the piranha plant is a much better design that the one he got a year ago. He had it set up in a couple of days and has been playing with it ever since. Great product!
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 30, 2013
My 6-year-old and 2-year-old grandsons love this toy, and so do I except for the fact that batteries don't last very long in the cars. After putting in a new set of batteries, the cars will slow down noticeably after about 5 minutes, and they won't have enough power to climb the hills or make it across the jump after about 15 minutes of running. I use the same brand of batteries in their battery-powered train, and the train will run for hours without slowing down. I would have given this toy a 5-star rating if I didn't need to replace the batteries every 15 minutes. It's also a bit hard to get the battery covers on and off.

The track itself went together fairly easy and it is durable enough to stand up to a 2-year- old. My grandsons especially like the obstacles that they can operate.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Greetings from K'NEX. We are sorry to hear that the set was not what you expected. If you are still having trouble with the battery cover, K'NEX Consumer Services team can definitely help. Give them a call at 1(800) KID-KNEX.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 1, 2014
I have been disappointed in toys plenty of times but I have never taken the time to write about it, until now. My 6yr old son LOVES Mario Kart and wanted this set for his birthday. He was thrilled to get it and don't you know we have to immediately assemble it. The directions were less than stellar and no way a 6 yr old could build this, which is fine but it took hours, on & off to complete. Once finished we put brand new batteries is the motorized Karts, and to our surprise, the couldn't even make it around the track, much less get up the incline, and in no way could it make it over the jump. My son was so disappointed in this set it has now been 2 weeks since his birthday and the set hasn't been touched. Huge waste of $50. I was even so disappointed in the quality of the set I sent K'Nex customer service a respectful e-mail...they did not respond at all. Way to stand by your product. I guess it's headed for the recycling.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Greetings from K'NEX. We are sorry to hear that you have had a disappointing experience with your new set. K'NEX Consumer Services can definitely help. Give them a call at 1(800)KID-KNEX and they will be happy to help with replacing any defective or broken parts.

-Your Friends at K'NEX