Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - BlackChange
Price:$305.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 26, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - Black
Outstanding amounts of effort have come from Nintendo, all into this one console. With new, HD graphics, the console is looking better than it ever has before. And apart from working smoothly, it looks cool too! The games are great, run smooth, and are the perfect piece to a 'house party.' Nintendo has something very special, something very unbeatable, and honestly, I think all of that has been combined, all in all, to make the Wii U console even more fun.
on October 9, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - BlackVerified Purchase
Considering I had a Wii before I bought this, the Wii U's backwards compatibility came in handy for keeping my save data and Wii Remotes from my Wii. In addition, I actually have the option to purchase many of the titles available as downloads rather than go out and buy them (even if they're expensive), and that's not counting the indie games available and forthcoming. I would love to gather some people to play with me sometime soon.
on October 22, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - Black
The Wii U has majority of the games coming out for other platforms but what makes it the best platform on the market is that it has and will have even more Nintendo exclusive games such as Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid, etc. it has many apps such as a great internet browser and an app for YouTube, hulu, Netflix, and Amazon instant video so it is more than just a game machine! The Wii U has a free online service unlike the other platforms so no monthly online fees. you can download classic games from the old era Nintendo games to the ones being released today right to the console. And if you need the extra hard drive space you can connect up to 2 external hard-drives via USB that are 2 TB as long as there powered by an ac adapter for themselves. It also plays all Wii games and all your content can be transferred from the Wii to the Wii U so you dont lose anything if your upgrading you can also play almost every single game on the gamepad screen without the need for a t.v which is another great feature for your living room. Definitely my gaming platform of choice and many Great games are still on there way for it from Nintendo.
on April 4, 2015
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - Black
Most of what could be said about the Wii U and its shaky history has already been said, so I'll do my best to focus on the basics. I'm just going to tell you why I enjoy it and why it isn't an unpowered piece of trash like the internet has tried to make it out to be over the years.

I think many people, myself included, were left confused and somewhat apathetic after Nintendo's announcement of the Wii U. We all thought the name was dumb and we thought the controller would be unwieldy. We were skeptical about the console's graphical power and its status as a legitimate next generation console compared to the inevitable titans that Sony and Microsoft would release. And, of course, there was one big thing on our minds at that point...

Where are the games? When are they coming? Will third-party developers finally support it?

Naturally, many of our concerns were answered with reality, and thus far, the Wii U has few retail games available, even less of them being from third-party developers.

And I think that's a shame, because aside from that one problem, the Wii U has actually proven to be a pretty damn good console from Nintendo.

Of course, we have to keep in mind that if you're planning on purchasing a Wii U, you aren't purchasing it because you want top of the line graphics and a wide assortment of third-party games to choose from. Don't even think about buying this if you want to play multiplayer shooters (although there is a Nintendo themed shooter coming out called Splatoon that is going to be totally different take on the genre).

Rather, you're purchasing this console because you like Nintendo games, or because you have a family with younger children who you might want to play with. Try playing Dark Souls with your kids and see how they like it :P

All joking aside, the fact is that the Wii U has very limited appeal. But that doesn't mean the console is bad. It's quite the opposite, provided you know why you're buying it and what you're getting into.

The controller's design is somewhat misleading. It seems like it's too big and clunky to be useable for most games, but after trying it out for myself, I quickly got used to it. I don't even notice it when I'm playing games. Despite having a giant screen in the middle, it feels about as comfortable as your standard Nintendo or Playstation controller (I've never owned an Xbox system, so I can't comment on their controllers).

It's true that the touch screen isn't revolutionary or innovative. Touch based games have existed for a long time now and Nintendo was one of the innovators of touch and dual screen gaming systems back when the DS first came out. It's nothing terribly exciting and there aren't many games that use it as a primary means of control, but personally, I like it better that way.

I think a lot of people are looking at the Wii U's touch screen in the completely wrong light. Many think it has to do some revolutionary thing to justify its existence. I disagree. Things like touch screens and motion controls aren't strong enough on their own to completely replace traditional control schemes. They're best used as a supplement to traditional controls, by which I mean that they're best used to improve traditional gameplay experiences instead of replacing them.

Nintendo has been smart about this since the days of the Wii, and with a few exceptions, they haven't tried to completely do away with what works. There have been occasions where Nintendo and other developers have tried to force gimmicky controls in games that don't need them, but if it's implemented subtly, I think it serves to make the game better.

For example, I really enjoyed playing Zelda: The Wind Waker HD using the gamepad because it serves so many different functions. You can use it to aim your bow and hookshot more accurately compared to most previous Zelda games. You can use it as your map when you're navigating the great ocean, which if you've played the original game, means you never have to pause to check where you're going. It also functions as a real time inventory, meaning you can drag and assign items to your buttons on the fly instead of having to pause the game constantly.

I'll be the first to admit that outside of Wind Waker, I haven't seen too many uses for the controller that have surprised me, but I also don't think it's necessary. The Wii U controller has another great function in the form of Off-TV play. If you want, you can play most games on the controller itself instead of having to turn on the TV. This might not seem like much at first, but I really appreciate it because I've always been more of a handheld type of player. It's nice to just relax in bed with a game rather than having to get up and turn on the TV.

The Wii U isn't as powerful graphically as the other two current generation consoles are, but I can't say I notice a difference, nor do I really care. I hate that the modern games industry has become so hyper focused on graphics and specs because a lot of games coming out these days have no imagination. They're either derivative of whatever else is popular at the moment, or they're made to look bland and forgettable in order to sell more copies. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of modern games for what they are, but graphics are never a deciding factor in my enjoyment of a game. Art direction means infinitely more to me, and fortunately Nintendo is still good at that after all of these years. I personally don't think a PS4 could make Wii U games look significantly better than they are now.

Ultimately, it's the games that matter the most and I think the Wii U has some top notch games. I haven't been disappointed with any of the games I've bought so far, but I mostly stick to Nintendo's first-party games. Thus far, the only third-party games I have are Darksiders II and Rayman Legends. I also have Deus Ex coming to me in the mail sometime soon. Both are great games, even though you can get them on other consoles.

As far as first-party titles go, I have Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros., New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3. All of them are excellent and have provided me with hours of fun, especially Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart if you like online games. I also have Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 from PlatinumGames, which are excellent games if you like off the wall action games like Devil May Cry (which was created by the same developer behind these two games).

It doesn't end there. The Wii U also has a back category of Nintendo games throughout their history as a game company, all the way back to the NES. They recently began adding Wii software to the eshop and have started coming out with Nintendo 64 and DS titles. Donkey Kong 64 is coming back soon, so if you've waited years for it to come out on the Wii virtual console, now's your chance to get it.

Technically, it's also the only current gen console that's actually backwards compatible with its previous system. All of your Wii games can be played on the Wii U. Better yet, Wii remotes also work with the system, and many Wii U games actually support them.

With all of that said, are there any downsides to the Wii U? For the most part, I can't think of any, but there are a few minor things to gripe about.

It currently isn't possible to buy the controller in stores, so if you break it, you have to fork over a hefty price to get it replaced by Nintendo. Fortunately I've never broken mine, but only time will tell. This also means that no games for the system support two gamepads, and probably never will. If you want to play multiplayer games, you'll have to either have Wii remotes or a pro controller.

The virtual console has been very slow to update, so this means that a lot of games I want to buy haven't been released yet. It's been nearly two and a half years and I'm still waiting for a lot of games to come out for the system.

Finally, and I guess this is kind of a silly complaint, but I really can't stand saying Wii U out loud. It's just such a silly name and it doesn't roll off the tongue well. There are about a million things that would have for a better name for the system. Again, it's a silly complaint, but I just think the name sounds too childish to be taken seriously.

I'll end this by saying that I totally recommend this console as long as you know what you're getting into. If you want to play all of the latest games with top notch graphics, get a PS4 or Xbox One. Those are good systems as well, but they have a different focus. The Wii U isn't the most sophisticated console on the planet and it isn't meant to be. It wanted to go its own way with a focus on games first and as far as I'm concerned, they've succeeded. It's true the console hasn't been selling so well, but unfortunately, it's simply a sign of the direction the video game industry is heading in.

I think if more people were willing to look past their prejudices and give the system a chance, it would be far more successful than it is right now. I've been more than satisfied with my purchase and my expectations were exceeded by Nintendo's quality software. Yes, third-party options are slim, but personally, that doesn't bother me because I don't care for most of the games that third-parties are trying to release these days. I just want to play a good, fun game, and that's where Nintendo's strength lies. They know how to create games that are both simple and complex with wide appeal. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of third-party games as well, but I wont pretend that some of the mass marketed stuff appeals to me.

Go ahead and get one if it's what you're into. If people have tried to turn you off of it by calling it horrible, don't listen to them. Some people just like to complain and will irrationally hate anything that doesn't appeal to them, so you can't let much of the extremist thinking on the internet persuade you because a lot of it isn't accurate. I've gotten nothing but enjoyment out of this console and I think you will too.
on March 4, 2014
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - Black
Well, they sure took their time, but it finally came. Nintendo games in HD. Yeah, they were the last to the party, but when it comes to Nintendo does that even matter? After 30 years of the same characters, the same plots and essentially the same games re-made time and time again, Nintendo's games have still managed to outsell both PlayStation and Xbox combined.

I love my classic Nintendo characters, and being able to play them in High Definition is really easy on the eyes. Because most of these games (Mario Bros, Donkey Kong etc.) don't rely on intense visuals like many PlayStation and Xbox games, the characters look perfectly rendered. The Wii U, which I still think is kind of a dumb name, features it's variety of games with the potential to perform at 1080p and 60 fps. While there technically aren't any Wii U specific controllers the new console has implemented the Gamepad, which I think is unique and effective. The Gamepad provides a great 5th player experience and is used in a variety of neat ways.

One of the things Nintendo has done better than anyone else is allow the use of backwards compatibility to the fullest extent. The Wii U is the only next-gen console able to use discs from it's previous console (the Wii). In addition, many of the past Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo and NES games are also available on the Nintendo Store. Like it's prior incarnation, the interface on the Wii U is very similar to the Wii, the difference mainly being that it's much sharper. Also like the Wii there is no Blu-Ray drive, but there are video apps such as Netflix that do support other HD video playback.

When it comes to a Nintendo console, the Wii U offers pretty much everything you could ask for in a Nintendo gaming machine.
on March 15, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - BlackVerified Purchase
Nintendo really did itself this time! I always played Wii at friends houses, but never owned one myself. I did have to buy a couple of Wiimotes so I could play the old games. What fun! But, of course I HAD to have ZombieU, New Super Mario Bros.

There's no option to go to the Miiplaza when you go in Wii mode. I thought it would be nice to hang out there with Wii friends. You can't email them either. Its' like a neighborhood you can't visit. But, you can still shop at Wii store. Why would I want to buy Wii games if I can't play with anyone online??

Downloading at Nintendo e-shop is fun too! The only thing I don't like about downloading is you can't trade the games in at you local game store. And, if the game is discontinued or you delete your Nintendo Id, not only won't be available for download anymore, but you lose all your money you have on account at the store. Huh....not very good! I only plan on purchasing cheap games at the e-shop. Lots of folks at the Miiverse downloaded Lego City: Undercover. Its a 22 gig download, $50 game that can take 4 hours or more to download! Isn't it easier to just buy the disk??

There are USB ports so you can have a external hard drive, but I'm not sure you can keep an uninstall copy of the downloaded software on it as a reserve copy. I think its just for saved play. Any advice someone can give me on this would be appreciated :)
There is no Ethernet port on the back, none....I was quite unhappy with this. I like options. But, you can buy a Wii Lan adapter ($24;) you insert in the usb port on the back then your Ethernet cable in that! Viola! You can get online without wireless if you choose to.

Lots of people are complaining about the battery. Dies after 2 hours? People play for more than 2 hours?? I don't have to worry about that I don't have 2 hours just to play games, so I'm good! LOL!

Anyway its still Merry Christmas to me in March! LOL!
You can even watch tv while someone is playing with the game pad, play your old Wii games on it (not Game Cube though).
on February 25, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - BlackVerified Purchase
Nintendo always seeks the innovation in their products, that is why it is an attractive option always, "Gamepad" provides new possibilities to developers with a new touch screen control. If you want new experiences Wii U is the best option at the moment.
Deluxe versión included Nintendo Land that is actually a set of mini-games that will help us to familiarize ourselves with the new Gamepad and discover its functions, between them the asymmetric game, that is the possibility that the player who has the gamepad has a different perspective than the other 4 (wiimotes), It also includes a promotion for digital content.
While it is true as soon as they appear to be competitors in terms of power it will be exceeded, the hardware is the most powerfull in consoles at this time, I have no doubts that has much potential; If you are a long time player in know found in Nintendo products.

Nintendo siempre busca la innovación en sus productos, es por eso que es una interesante opción siempre, con un nuevo control "Gamepad" brinda nuevas posibilidades a los desarrolladores. Si quieres nuevas experiencias Wii U es la mejor opción al momento.
Viene con el juego Nintendo Land que en realidad es un conjunto de minijuegos que nos ayudarán a familiarizarnos con el nuevo Gamepad y descubrir sus funciones, entre ellas el juego asimétrico, que es la posibilidad de que el jugador que tiene el gamepad tiene distinta perspectiva que los otros 4 (wiimotes). Además incluye una promoción para contenido digital
Si bien es cierto en cuanto aparezcan competidores en cuanto a potencia será superada, el hardware es más potene que las consolas en este momento, no me quedan dudas que tiene mucho potencial; si eres in jugador de mucho tiempo sabes que encontrar en los productos Nintendo.
on February 21, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - Black
Ordered this last week and it came today, I chose the 32 GB because it was a better value. I mean 32 GB + Nintendo Land + Gamepad Charger + Gamepad cradle + Wii U stand + Black color for 50$ more? Hell yeah.

I only played the game "Nintendoland" (the game it came with) so far and I love it! It's a whole new gaming experience. It's innovative and most importantly F-U-N!. I can tell right now when the new Zelda, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros come out I'm gonna have a blast. I can only imagine how aweseomely they're gonna incorporate the gamepad into these big titles and future original games.

Nintendoland, first off, is a great game when your with your family or friends. It shows off what the gamepad can do. However, I would not recommend buying this separate as it is NOT worth 60$ as you'll find everywhere online. I think it should go for 39.99 separately. Tops. I recommend the deluxe set where it comes free.

Some of the best NintendoLand Games to play with your family are:
-Mario Chase
-Animal Crossing: Sweet Day
-Pikman Adventure
-Luigis Ghost Mansion

The main reason I got this system, is because of the New Super Mario Bros U. I'm a die hard fan and I NEEDED to play it. I tried selling the Nintendoland (unopened) online so I could get money for the Mario game. But it seems everyone is putting their Nintendoland game up for sale! So if your trying to sell Nintendoland online, good luck. Also if you want to trade it in at a local gamestore. TOPS they will give you, even if it is factory sealed, is 10$... Yeah, I know. They gotta make money somehow right? Haha...

Anyway I'm gonna list some pros and cons.

Pros:
-The OS (Operating System) is very welcoming and smooth.
-The gamepad is very responsive
-Stunning graphics. (1080p ... Finally) HDMI Chord included!
-It's up to par, if not beyond, the graphics of the PS3, and Xbox 360
-The gamepad controller isn't too heavy or too light, it feels very comfortable in your hands.
-The gameplay is beyond any you'll find on ANY other gaming system.

Cons:
- System update takes about 60-90 Minutes. (Only have to do it once and your set)
- Gamepad and Wii U attract dust easily. (I'd recommend a case and screen protector for gamepad)
- Some long loading screens when the system is being set up.

Other than that, I can't think of any other cons. It truly is a great gaming device. It's fun to play with friends and family. It's also fun to switch from tv to controller in less than half a second. I'd recommend buying this now because I know there will be great games for it in the future.

Update 3/7/12

Finally purchased the New Super Mario Bros U game! I have only beat the first 2 worlds and all I can say is WOW! Hands down THE best (2D )Mario Game ever released (Super mario 64 will always be my favorite and have that special place in my heart).. Haha but anyway, first off the graphics are crazy good! But like the director of Nintendo said... "It's not about the graphics, it's about the gameplay!" And I agree. Remember when the first 8-bit super mario came out? Everyone was blown away. I think the graphics have been perfectly updated for the time we live in.

Graphics aside.. The gameplay is awesome! You can switch from TV to gamepad in a matter of seconds!
The game is an overall win and I can't wait to beat it:)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - Black
I got the Wii U because I started to seen games that my attention. The graphics are awesome, the gamepad is so cool and the interation level is great. I have Zombie U, Darksider 2, Super Mario HD, Nintendo Land, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Just Dance 4, Lego Undercover, COD Black Ops 2, Injustice, and pretty much all the exclusive from the E-Shop and don't regret it. I also preorder all the games that where anounce at the E3 including third parties (Batman Origins, AC4, Splinter Cell, Rayman and more)

This is how hooked I am with the Wii U. About space I added a 1 TB Hard drive from amazon that cost like 80 dollars so there is plenty of space. All my all downloads from the Wii where transfer and I had no issues. I recommend the Wii U to anyone, trusth me, it is a great system.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2013
Edition: 32GB Deluxe - BlackVerified Purchase
Wii U is great for every Nintendo and non Nintendo fan, is innovative and cool. It has had a slow start since it has just a few titles since launch. But in a while it will be the ultimate consolfe for gaming with entries like Super Smash Bros. and the Zelda series. Recommended.