5.0 out of 5 stars Induction Charging Dock for Wii-motes
We were going through batteries like toilet paper for the Wii-motes. I was a little skeptical about how well this charging dock would work but I have been very pleasantly surprised!

Published on February 19, 2010 by Amy Y.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but beware of timer based charging
This product charges the included batteries when they are on the Wii remote even with the plastic protective sleeve and wii motion connected.

The main weakness of this product that I did not know until after purchasing it is that it charges based on a simple timer system.

If you place the battery on the base it will charge for 2 or 3 hours (I have...
Published on April 19, 2010 by positivethinking

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but beware of timer based charging, April 19, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)

If you place the battery on the base it will charge for 2 or 3 hours (I have not measured it) and the LED will turn from red to blue to indicate that it's fully charged. If you then take the battery off the base and immediately return it then the light will change to red and charge the battery for another 2 or 3 hours before the LED turns blue again. The battery gets very hot.

I'm very disappointed with this, I thought it would work like a regular battery charger and only top up the charge for the time required.

It means you cannot store the wii remotes on the base, returning them to the base each time you finish with them so that they are always fully charged. I think that doing this could damage the batteries and significantly reduce the life of the batteries.

I think I am going to use the batteries until they go flat and then recharge them. This is going to mean that we are going to at times find that the battery is flat when we want to use the wii and will need to either wait until they charge or change the batteries.

Very disappointed, for a dollar or so more in the manufacturing they could have fixed this problem and then it would have been an excellent choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Power Base Quad ~ answers to some other's concerns, August 26, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
Saw mixed reviews on this. Figured, "$30 bucks, it's worth a try". Here are my thoughts/comments, and trying to include my thoughts to others concerns.

Regarding the comment that charge is timed, not "monitored" for charge: One other person commented, and I agree..you can lift it off the cradle and place it back down, and if fully charged it'll quickly stop charging (light indicator turns from red to blue). This is not a concern.

Regarding batteries not charging: All 4 batteries work fine from the start (1 caveat, "downside" comment below). I fully charged all 4 batteries before taking them off the charger. I use them down before recharging. It's too early to tell long term, but so far so good. We play all evening without needing a charge (sometimes 2 nights...maybe 6-8 hours). I looked everywhere for the power, battery pack itself says 600 mAmp

Downside (and maybe what some folks are referring). I have 4 Wiimotes; 2 without Motion+ attachment, 2 with (so they are longer). The 2 without (so standard size) fit on the cradles just fine, and charge in full in less than 2 hours from depletion. HOWEVER, the two with the Motion+ attachment are longer; there is a lip on the edge of this charge which elevates the middle of the Wiimote from the charging area. With the skins on, the light has not shown fully charged (it stays red). I noticed when full, the red light will blink on and off occasionally. I took the skins off (which I don't want to do, that's the point of induction charging), and the light immediately turned blue (indicating fully charged,and I'm assuming charging stopped)......so the lip is creating a gap, and messing with the charge monitoring functionality (I'm no scientist, but it's clear to see what's going on). I am curious if some of the folks that had battery problems had Motion+ attachments, as it appears the batteries keep charging, and thus burning them up. I am going to get my Dremel, and see if I can shave some of the lip off the base unit (at least 2 cradles), and will let everyone know. I won't be taking the skins off everytime, that's a pain.

And a nice bonus is that you the base as an on/off button. So no vampire power, and if I wanted, I could judge my Motion+ Wiimotes charge based on the non-Motion+ units so I don't burn out the Motion+ unit batteries.

In conclusion: I highly recommend this for folks that have standard Wiimote, or the newer built-in Motion+ Wiimote (no attachment). For those with a Motion+ attachment, I'd still buy, but be cautious to overcharging if you leave the skins on. Motion+ with skins off appear to be OK also.

******** 12/18/2011 Update **********

4 months now, all batteries working fine. We only charge after a couple of nights use, and 30-60 minutes later fully charged.

Regarding our 2 Wiimotes with Motion+...as I mentioned above, I think the charging issue with some folks are the Wiimotes with Motion+ and sleeves. I took my Dremel, and with a medium grit sanding wheel I ground the lip closest to the front on the two center cradles. The first one took me a few minutes as I was on a slow speed and being cautious. The second I did in about a minute (took longe to clean up the fine plastic particles); the lip was "extra" plastic, so there's no holes or anything. I am VERY happy to say that now the Wiimotes with Motion+ work PERFECTLY. No more "flashing" lights when they get charged, and no fear of overcharging. After we use them, (1, 2, 3 or all 4), I just turn on the charger (power button is very nice feature), place them all in their spots (standards in the outside slots, Motion+ on the inside), and when I notice all 4 lights are Blue (they start Red), I turn off the unit. The Wiimotes that weren't used/didn't need charged turn from Red to Blue in just seconds.

our battery usage as gone down bigtime! Sorry to ramble, but I must say if you have Motion+ built in, or don't use sleeves, this is a great item. If you have add-on Motion+ and use sleeves, if you have a Dremel and 5 minutes, it's a winner too!

*** 1/17/2013 update ***
Happy to report 1 1/2 years later, all 4 rechargeable batteries still going strong. Batteries hold as good a charge as they did new. We've probably charged them 100 times. A full charge will last a couple of days for a couple hours of play at a time. and they recharge in about an hour if totally depleted. I do let them almost deplete (Wii give "low battery" warning) before I charge them

*** 12/10/2013 update ***
2+ years now, and batteries finally wouldn't hold a charge. Couldn't find any replacements by DreamGear or anywhere else. Before throwing out, tried to pry one of the battery cases apart just "to see". Couldn't pry off at first, but figured out center was held. Pulled the little label off, and VOILA, there's a screw there. Unscrewed it, and saw 2 cheap Chinese AAA batteries, green in color. Found them online very cheap, but thought I'd try to find some better. Ended up buying 8 pack of Phillips 900mAmp AAA (originals were 600mAmp) NiMH rechargeables online for about $10. Trick to replacing...open 2, but only take the batteries out of one; that will give you a guide on how to replace. Repeat with other set. First charge took a couple of hours, but they work perfectly now. The charges last longer, but take a bit longer to recharge if depleted. Still love this thing. $30 to buy originally, lasted over 2 years, and spend $10 more on batteries. Way cheaper than what we were doing by replacing batteries every week or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Induction Charging Dock for Wii-motes, February 19, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)

First, you take the batteries and battery cover off the wii-motes and replace with the special rechargeable battery packs. Plug in the charging station and lay the controllers in the depressions- they'll be charged and ready to go in no time.

My husband and I tried to figure out how much playing time you get from a full charge. It is difficult to say because it seems to depend on what you are playing. We figure somewhere in the realm of 20-30 hours of playing time.

The dock is flat and there are lights at the base of each depression- when you place the controller on the dock, the light will flash. When it stops flashing, the controller is completely charged. This is saving us money already. We are so glad we opted to try this. I like that you can just set the controller on the dock- no monkeying around trying to get it plugged in, taking off the sleeve so it will fit in a dock, etc.. Easy enough my 7 year old has it figured out.

The dock is about the size of a sheet of paper(then a couple inches thick). We don't mind the size- it holds 4 controllers at once which is perfect for our family. We keep it in our entertainment center and hardly notice it. If you have tight space this may not be the most effective charging apparatus- there are others that are smaller that the controllers fit into vertically. Since the controllers just lie on top of this dock, it is only possible to use in the horizontal position. Still, entirely happy we went with this. Have had it for a couple months now and I have not noticed any deterioration of the batteries, taking longer to charge, retaining less charge, etc..

This is a great deal if you play your Wii extensively- or have kids who do. Save yourself some batteries!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, January 8, 2010
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
After researching for hours we fell into this newly released charger for our Wii remotes. We have 3 remotes and have been having a ball playing the Sports Resort Frisbee Golf and Bowling. Since Christmas, we have had to replace batteries three times but that is to be expected when you play from early afternoon until 3 or 4 AM LOL.

We learned there is a new technology that allows you to recharge your remotes without removing skins or the Motion sensor.

Dreamgear just released this model of Induction charging dock. We learned Nyko will be releasing a 4 station dock in early March after a phone call to them.. they will also release the induction charging dock in black for 2 and 4 remotes. We almost decided to wait but further reading and calls to Dreamgear lead us to buy this one.

There are some advantages to this Dreamgear charger station. 1. Just lay the remote down when you are done.
2. Battery packs can be charged by themselves. When they release a battery pack for sale this will be great! Spare batteries charged and ready to insert in case your dies while playing. 3. uses a wall AC adapter, 4. Appears to be charging the black model but we have to check.. the lights still blink but I suspect it is charging fine. I plan to update this as soon as we can verify that the black remote charges with skin on but that the blue light does not come one indicating the charge is complete.

The cons are that when you hook it all up and place a controller on the dock, the lights blink red then turn to solid blue when done. The little instruction booklet never mentions red blinking lights. It states that the lights will blink blue and then turn solid when done. I plan to call them to let them know this is a big error because we thought we had either a defective unit or battery packs, or where placing them down the wrong way.

The other minor issue you need to be aware of is that the battery packs are really tough to put on. The batteries are attached to the cover and you have to lay the controller flat and use just the right angle and pressure to get it to click in so you can close the cover.

There is no word on what to do when you need to replace the battery packs but if they follow suit with all other chargers, there should be packs available in the near future.

Overall, Induction is the way to go for your Wii. No removing skins or motion sensors and the advantage I see over the Nyko (without owning the Nyko) is that Nyko only has a 2 controller induction stand for sale right now and theirs is a stand up cradle. I am afraid it will get toppled over and that the cradle will snap after lots of use. The Nyko also does not allow for charging extra battery pack to be charged on their own out of the controller that I am aware of. They do state that the same issue with the black skinned controller is similar. The lights to indicate full charge do operated properly but the batteries are being charged. This is a quote from their support team.

We have the sports pack Nerf set on one controller and that requires and additional plastic snap on jacket making is a bit wider. No problem with the Dreamgear charger. We just lay it down like the others. I was concerned it wouldn't fit well in the Nyko cradle.

This looks to be a great item and we are looking forward to not having to change batteries.

I will update my review as we put this to the test. Power Base Quad Induction Charging Dock

5.0 out of 5 stars Charger, February 10, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
I think this is the best charging dock. It charges the remotes quickly and effeciently. You can have your sleeve on and the WMP and it will still charge. I can't say how long the charge lasts, since we always put our remotes there when we are doing using them. The blue light is not too bright and neither is the red one. It's small and compact design make it easy to place anywhere. The cord is longer than I would have thought, so plugging it in is not a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
Three of the four batteries seemed to work okay. The fourth battery, while the charger said it was charged, never turned on any of the wii remotes. I tried it in all four. When I try to charge it in the remote the pad blinks red. Read the instructions four times to try and find out what a blinking red light mean, nothing.

DreamGEAR's customer support is non-existent. I e-mailed the technical support address on the instructions a week ago, still haven't gotten an e-mail response. I called and left a voicemail, per the instructions. Waited the instructed 48 hours for a response, nothing. I tried to call again and this time the voicemail was full.

While I'm sure I would have liked this if all four batteries worked, the fact that I couldn't get a response from DreamGEAR makes me not want to do business with them. I'm in the process of returning the whole thing. It would have made me happy, and been much simpler, if they just provided me with a new battery. Not only have they lost this sale, but any future sales from me. Customer support like this is just not acceptable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, April 3, 2011
hummingbird314 (TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
I was looking for a charger to charge all 4 remotes at the same time. It looked great because you can leave the jacket in place. It worked for about 2 weeks.
This charger ended up ruining one of our remotes. The remotes would turn off during the middle of play even though they were fully charged. At first I thought it was because the kids weren't placing it on the charger correctly. Even after I did it myself it didn't work. Steer clear of this. It's now going in the trash and I'm buying the Energizer charger.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Longer Working, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
I got this charging pad after having one that was good, but wasn't always easy to line up the contacts on the remote & charging base. I needed something easier for my young daughter to be able to do on her own.

I thought this one would be good because you just sit it on the pad, there is nothing to line up. It worked good for a couple months, then it stopped charging some of the batteries. Now it won't charge any of the batteries anymore; the base recognized that a batter is there, but won't charge it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 4 months, September 15, 2010
Stlopus "Malibu Pat" (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
Worked great for 3-4 months. I keep it on all the time and leave all four controls resting on the base.

The base charger stopped working and smells like burning. Electronics do these things.

I'll try the Energizer one this time.

Update after a year: The Energizer charger is still going and going...

1.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, horrible implementation, September 6, 2010
Mark B. "--Mark B." (Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad (Accessory)
I was surprised to see so many good reviews on this product. All four of the battery packs that came with this would cause our wii remotes to turn off, then back on. At first it almost seems like there is a delay, but then you notice the remote turns completely off, then back on. It usually occurs when you're swinging the remote around, but thats kind of the point of the wii. I would not recommend this product to anybody, very frustrating for me and the kids!

Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad
Nintendo Wii - Power Base Quad by DreamGEAR (Nintendo Wii)
Out of stock