on November 20, 2012
Some people are a little clueless.

The WiiU was intended to use the Gamepad and your existing Wiimotes/nunchuks. Nintendo then decided to make this Pro controller for the many games that won't really need the Gamepad's screen but still might be better suited for dual analog typical controller (hello Call of Duty and really any AAA 3rd party game).

NintendoLand was made for Gamepad Wiimote as it requires motion and many times touch screen.
NSMBU was made for Gamepad Wiimote as it requires motion.

Both of those games were made for the original idea behind WiiU and its new user interfaces. A more classical controller simply wont' work.

Now, all the other big games: Black Ops2, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, ZombiU, Madden, FIFA, Rayman, Trine2, Bayonetta2, and I could really go on with a long list of AAA 3rd party games here... all work perfectly with this controller OR the Gamepad alone (off TV play is sooooo awesome).

So any reviews saying its limited or useless are 100% wrong and plain out ignorant.

The controller is VERY comfortable. Has superb battery life of ~80hrs. Has a long USB cord for charging. Has rumble. Its simply a perfect "traditional" controller. The only negative is people who love simulation racing will want a wheel as the triggers are digital on this controller. But really, who loves simulation racers and doesn't already buy wheels/pedals?

My only complaint is really on Nintendo for not allowing this controller to be used in place of the Wiimote/classic controller for all the virtual console content. But I am looking at a 3rd party controller that claims to have this functionality. (its here on amazon too)
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2013
EDIT: It appears that some people are receiving fake products and others are getting the real deal. Despite what the product page says, my controllers were not shipped from and sold by Amazon, which is where the issue lies. Not everyone's seller is the same and mine just happened to be of the shady type. I recommend buying hardware such as this from a local store.

Before reading any further, please Google 'fake wii u pro controllers' and visit the first link, which will direct you to the nintendolife forum.

I ordered two of these controllers and at first glance, they appeared to be genuine Nintendo hardware. The controllers I received both had faulty left thumb sticks, rendering them unusable. This left me feeling quite disappointed in Nintendo. I've never, in all of my 15+ gaming years, ever had a problem with a piece of Nintendo hardware until now... or so I thought. After doing some research, I've discovered that these are NOT real Wii U Pro Controllers made by Nintendo. The thread on the nintendolife forum will prove this to you. A few of the distinguishing features of these fakes are:
A silver colored screw, retaining the battery cover (the authentic one is black)
A black colored charging cable (the real one is grey and has Nintendo's logo on it)
A discolored box (mine came dull in color)
Faulty buttons or thumb sticks (mine thumb sticks came broken)

Please, for the sake of all potential buyers, help me get the word out that these are NOT the Nintendo-made products they masquerade as.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2013
The Wii U Pro is essentially an upgraded version of the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii with full wireless and rumble capabilities. Compared to the gamepad, it's more comfortable to hold, simpler to pick up and play with, and generally preferable for any game that doesn't make extensive use of the touchscreen or motion input (which is 90% of the Wii U library).

The Wii U Pro has no motion sensors, speakers, TV control, or NFC built in, which may negatively impact the way some games play- for instance, Wind Waker HD is clumsier to navigate without the inventory and map screens. That said, most titles play comfortably on the U Pro without any sacrifices.

The grips are fuller than on any other Nintendo controller and have similar contours to the Xbox 360 pad (but without the obstruction of the 360's battery pack). The D-pad is exceptionally good- responsive and tight without feeling stiff or clicky- and works far better than the D-pads in any competitor's offerings. The Z shoulder buttons are more narrow and trigger-like than on the gamepad and L and R are modeled after the 360's bouncy shoulder bumpers. The face buttons are the same as the gamepad's, with a softer "click" and tighter grouping than those on the CC Pro. The buttons themselves are a little heavier and have thicker plastic than past Nintendo controllers, giving them a higher quality feel. All of these changes are big improvements over the CCPro.

The analog sticks are the same clickable type used in the gamepad, which resemble Nintendo's Nunchuk/CC Pro sticks but have much smoother movement. They're the best sticks Nintendo has ever used and I would even argue that they're preferable to the 360/PS3 sticks, though the quality control is very disappointing; of the two U Pro controllers I own, only 1 of the 4 analog sticks actually centers and responds correctly. The other 3 sticks all have miscalibrated center points or problems reaching the maximum values on at least one axis. This isn't a problem on the Wii U, where the OS automatically calibrates the controller upon connection, but it is a pain to deal with on PC where there are no effective tools to recalibrate gamepads.

Many have complained about the placement of the buttons below the right stick, but this is the most comfortable layout possible. Many titles tend to make heavy use of the right analog for aiming/camera control while using the triggers to attack in order to keep the player's thumbs on the analogs, leaving the face buttons used for occasional tasks like ducking or reloading. Giving the right stick a higher priority makes sense considering that a player's thumb will be resting on it more often than the face buttons for most games, even if it is awkward to adjust to the change. It also preserves the symmetry of the D-pad and face buttons when playing virtual console titles.

The Wii U Pro is fully wireless and has its own rechargeable battery. Nintendo's claim of 80 hours of life (without rumble) is accurate- it takes weeks of casual play to reach the lowest battery bar. The WU Pro only has one rumble motor, housed in the right grip, but the rumble is evenly dispersed and feels smoother than the gamepad's.

There are a few subjective problems with the layout of the U Pro; the smaller and more narrow design of the ZL and ZR buttons seems like an overt attempt to copy the triggers of the Xbox 360 controller, the issue with this being that the ZL/ZR triggers on the Pro are not analog. Using digital triggers on a hinge feels somewhat awkward as they don't protrude as far as analogs and must be depressed at their bottoms to get a firm click. This hinging actually allows for faster trigger pulls, but I find myself wishing ZL and ZR were wider (as the gamepad's triggers are) to allow for a more stable grip.

Another problem is that the XYBA buttons seem poorly placed. On a normal diamond button layout, the user's thumb falls vertically across the B and X buttons with Y and A a short distance on either side. This is true with the gamepad as well as the CCPro, SNES, Xbox, and Playstation pads. The U Pro instead has the user's thumb come in at an angle that's 45 degrees rotated from normal, with the thumb landing straight in between all of the buttons (parallel to X-A and Y-B) without resting on any of them. This results in X and A being fairly easy to press, but Y and B require such a downward stretch that it's awkward to access them.

The lack of any real USB connectivity is also disappointing, as it would be nice to have a lower latency connection as well as an adapter-free connection method on PC, but the bluetooth connection works fine regardless.

Despite a few minor complaints, the Wii U Pro is a solid, comfortable controller that is superior to the Classic Controller Pro in every way and can even hold its own against the more fully featured Xbox One and Dual Shock 4 controllers. It can be a great alternative to the gamepad for those who want something more conventional and it can even serve as an arguably superior substitute for the 360 controller when connected to a PC. With a few slight alterations to the face button layout and stick quality, I'd easily consider it the best controller ever made.
on March 18, 2014
I essentially bought this controller for one reason: when my wife and I game together, she insists on taking the gamepad and I prefer a standard controller to the wiimote+nunchuck for games that don't require the motion sensors. This one is similar to the classic controller, which doesn't work with new new Donkey Kong Country, but is wireless rather than needing to be plugged in to a wiimote.

A few people have mentioned counterfeit products going around, so I was careful to ensure that I was ordering with Amazon as the seller. I received the remote last week and have probably spent around 8 hours playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze with it.

The controls are placed similarly enough to the gamepad that it was easy to pick this up and jump right in (actually I've not used the gamepad since getting this one). I've died many times, but that's due to my lack of skill; I haven't had any occasions when I've felt that the controller wasn't responding correctly. (A few times I've apparently hit the L/R buttons by accident, but I did that with the gamepad as well). The controller fits well in my hands; actually it's probably the most comfortable controller I own. I charged it when I got it and haven't bothered plugging it in again since then; I'll update this review after I've used it a while but from the other reviews I expect to be able to finish the game on one charge. The rumble seems fine. This controller obviously won't work for games that take advantage of the various sensors in the wiimotes, but for non-motion-sensitive games I believe it's going to work just fine.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2014
This is a very good controller for the WiiU. I like it better for most games over the WiiU gamepad.
on March 29, 2014
Don't bother trying to save money with the generics. This controller is much more durable and all around a better feel. I would recomend it for sure. My children actually prefer these ones over the game pad and Wii remotes.
on May 22, 2014
I just received an excellent Original Nintendo Wii U Product and with a really good price. My son loves it. Thank you so much.
on April 19, 2014
i bought this because i transferred my wii to my new wii u and on my wii i bought old school games and could no longer use the game cube controller that we use on the wii.. and it said that we needed a classic controller so i thought this one would work... but it doesn't.... u need the classic controller for the Wiii not the wii u... the one that plugs into the wii remote ... but other wise this controller works well and its kinda nice because i prefer this type of controller over the wii remote.. much easier!
on April 11, 2014
I love the button placement the controller stick placement might seem weird but i find it very fitting.
I also really like its shape and size it's pretty slim and it fits great in your hands.
It's battery is great it lasts a long time I charged it halfway and it lasted super long. It can last a total of 80 hours on one 2-4 hour charge.
Overall this is one of my favorite controllers ever. With great button placement and an amazing battery this controller is a great buy.
My only complaint is that it gets a little ugly from fingerprints but you can hardly notice.
on December 26, 2014
Man, THIS is how I like to play a console! I'm definitely not a fan of the Wiimote's or that massively oversized tablet that comes with it. I prefer controllers to be as they always have been and this controller hits the mark perfectly! If you have a Wii U, get this controller!