Nioxin System 2 Cleanser & Scalp Therapy DUO (33.8 Oz)
Size Name: 33.8oz.Change
Price:$37.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 9, 2013
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
The product in the picture is NOT the product you will recieve. That is the old bottle, old formula and old description (removes DHT). All of the good reviews here were for that product, not the relaunched product Proctor and Gamble now sells as "Nioxin".

I have been using Nioxin for 13 years, and recently noticed my hair thinning again. I can now see my scalp. At first I thought it was me, and then I did some research and found many other people complaining all over their facebook page. I am not alone.
Proctor and Gamble purchased the parent company of Nioxin. They totally destroyed this line, by cheapening the product in a "relaunch" of the "Improved" (read cheapened formula). They also deleted "removal of DHT from the scalp" from the bottles, because it no longer does that. They took out all the ingredients that helped with that and added a bunch of junk Sadly, I am looking for another shampoo and conditioner now that does what Nioxin system 2 used to do for my scalp. Today's nioxin might as well be Pantene. There is barely anything in it now that keeps your scalp from storing DHT around your follicles which eventually causes hair loss. It may thicken what you have on top, but if it no longer penetrates to the root to with DHT inhibitors..then it no longer works. It took my scalp about 6 months to change fully to this worsened condition due to their new "improve" formula.

RIP NIOXIN.

Here is the OLD ingredient list:

The current Nioxin Cleanser formula is: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Benzoate, Salicylic Acid, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cystine Bis-PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Lecithin, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Extract, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Blue 1, Biotin/Folic Acid/Cyanocobalamin/Niacinamide/Pantothenic Acid/Pyridoxine/Riboflavin/Thiamine/Yeast Polypeptides,Yeast Extract, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Phenoxyethanol. What a huge difference by comparison. This is no longer the same product.

Proctor and Gamble bought the name and changed the formula!
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
I have bought this shampoo in the past to help combat hormonally related post-partum hair loss. It helped a lot. So with my latest baby born and my hair falling out, I bought some again. Right away I noticed the bottles looked different. When I used it the shampoo felt more watered down and I needed more to wash my hair. Also, my scalp didn't 'tingle' at all when I left it on for a few minutes (like it used to). I was suspicious so I dug out an old bottle of the same type of shampoo to compare the ingredients. They had reformulated the product so that it no longer inhibits DHT production in your scalp. So it is basically useless- over-priced, watered-down junk. If I had known they had made the shampoo basically ineffective I would not have bought it.
on March 25, 2012
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
I am in my mid 30s and my hair is starting to shed a lot every morning.

I've been using Nioxin for the last 3 months and it seems to keep my hair from shedding.

It is very cost effective because you get a lot for your money. The bottle is HUGE!!!

The only thing is, this shampoo contains SLS (Sulfates)

If you're into more organic or natural shampoo (or is allergic to SLS) for hair loss problems, I can also recommend Pura d'or Hair Loss Prevention: Premium Organic Shampoo (16 fl. oz.). It is a sulfate free shampoo without harsh preservatives and contains a lot of herbal ingredients proven to slow down hair loss and prevent it also...
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 7, 2012
Size Name: 33.8oz.
Since Procter & Gamble moved production to Mexico, the product doesn't seem to be nearly as good as it used to be. The Scalp Therapy used to really tingle on my scalp and now it doesn't do anything other than just sit there. Apparently, they closed down the U.S. manufacturing plant and started producing Nioxin in Mexico. It appears to me they may have also changed the formula. Either way, I don't perceive the same thickening effect it used to have. This is unfortunate because I used to really love this product line.
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
After getting a recommendation at a hair salon, I used Nioxin System 2, happily, for eight years. It first saved my hair, then became part of the ritual of my morning shower.

And then this new-style bottle arrived in November 2012. You can look over some of the other reviews to explain how the ownership, bottle, and formula changed from a former gem to something that smells and like mint doused with acetone. No telltale scalp tingle to tell me that my follicles are being renewed. Just stench and disappointment.

Having spent my entire adult life rescuing my hair from extinction, I thankfully already have a backup plan in Nizoral. It smells almost as bad, but I can at least be confident that it'll help me save my hair.

I'll miss you, System 2. I hope you come back some day.
on November 8, 2014
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
At the place where I get my haircut (a high-end mens salon), they sell this stuff for double the price at half the size. So I get it here.

Regardless, this stuff works. I'm on HRT and it has thinned my hair significantly (due to a rise in DHT levels). I went through a duo of this stuff a few months back and it worked great, I went from being able to shake out maybe 25 - 30 hairs onto a piece of white paper, to not being able to get a single hair to fall out after a few weeks of use. It's common to lose 100 hairs a day regardless of male pattern baldness, so I was surprised as to how strong this stuff is considering I couldn't make a hair fall out. (and by shaking my hair, I mean digging all of my fingers into my scalp HARD and vigorously scraping my scalp.)

A few weeks after finishing my first duo of this product, I began to once again notice hair in the drain after showering, on a daily basis. After about three days of this is I quickly placed another order. Since restarted the product my hair is once again shed free and I can only say great things about this product. The girl who cuts my hair also noticed that it's thicker, and I can see less of my scalp.

I was made skeptical by some reviews posting about the changing of the formula, but regardless, this formula works great for me.

Now I must explain the proper way to apply this product as I believe it can greatly increase its effectiveness.

Obviously I begin by shampooing. It's important to vigorously, and I mean as hard as you can, scrub the scalp as best as possible. One shouldn't be concerned with causing hairs to fall out during this, as the objective is to save and nourish the actual root in the scalp, not so much the hair itself. Even if it causes the hair to fall out through scratching/breaking it, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the DHT buildup in the root is removed, allowing for a grow friendly environment for future hair.

I also began using a "Scalpmaster Shampoo Brush" (also bought on amazon) which is great for opening up the pores/roots.

After rinsing, I apply the conditioner, and again, VIGOROUSLY scrub the scalp, almost trying to force the conditioner into the skin. I do this with my finger tips as well as the brush. I then let the conditioner sit for about 5 minutes in my hair. This is when you get the minty/menthol cooling effect on the scalp. I usually brush my teeth for an extended period of time in the shower to pass the time before rinsing.

Rinsing using my method is NOT for everyone, but it certainly dose help. I rinse out the conditioner using the coldest possible water my shower offers. As you know, conditioner is more oily, in a sense. And when rinsing oil off of anything, (cookware or plates for example) it's best to use hot water.

But here, the point is to actually retain some of the conditioner in the hair and scalp, so cold water is your best option.

On top of the coolness off the conditioner, the cold water hitting it can be borderline brain freezing.

While rinsing, I also lightly scrub the conditioner out, making sure the hair retains some oily feel. I aim to leave just enough in my hair so that the cool sensation can be felt for a few minutes after getting out of the shower.

With my method, this product has been a life saver. Beats the hell out of Propecia and those side effects. I hope this helps.
on January 27, 2010
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
I have used this stuff for a while now. If you have thinning hair I definatly recommend it. After a month or two you really begin to notice new hair growing all over, not just on your crown... And if you buy the large bottles on Amazon its cheaper than Rogain too!
Size Name: 33.8oz.Verified Purchase
My wife has had problems with thin hair for a long time. She has very thin hair and you can see the scalp in some areas. Her hair looked healthy, but she was loosing hair in the shower daily..not just your normal loss. She has tried expensive hair applications with no luck. Her hair was so thin that the extra hair would just slowly come out. After extensive research I found this product. It was very expensive in the salons the I found, so I looked all over the internet and found the best price at my trusted Amazon.com! Since she started using this she has thicker healthier hair. It has also filled in and grown a few inches..its outstanding and I will be making another purchase! I'm glad she finally found something. This product has helped her confidence 10 fold. Now she loves to flick her hair on a regular basis...and I love it too!
on June 9, 2014
Size Name: 33.8oz.
I am a 26 year old female. I started losing my hair when I was 18 due to health reasons. I tried a bunch of hair regrowth products and found my savior in Nioxin. I used it happily for years. My hair got so long and healthy that I decided to start dying it again. I bleached it and destroyed my hair. I had to chop it all off.. BUT it didn't start falling out again until recently (a year after the bleaching).

So I started the Nioxin again. It felt different this time. I didn't have that tingly feeling anymore when I washed my hair and my hair was very dry and dull. I kept using it since I knew from past experience that it takes time to work. It's been 3 months since I started using it again and my hair has not gotten any better, if anything it has gotten worse. It keeps falling out and I've started getting this very itchy / burning sensation on my scalp that has been giving me headaches.

I decided to do some research. I learned about the production being switched to Mexico with a new company. I checked my bottle and sure enough it says Made in Mexico not USA as it said on my old ones. I checked the ingredients. They are all completely different as well as the product description which no longer states the inhibition of DHT.

I have been using Garnier Fructis Forifying Triple Nutrition Shampoo and Conditioner for Dry Damaged Hair for a week now. It has avocado, olive oil, and almond oil in it, all of which are known to help hair growth and repair damage. After the 3rd time using it I was amazed. My scalp doesn't burn anymore. My hair looks and feels almost like it did before I bleached it. I hope that with it becoming healthy and strong with this new system that it will also stop the hair loss.

There is a review on here that lists all the different ingredients in case you don't read that one.. here they are..

OLD PRODUCT: Water, (Nioxin Complex), Aloe Vera, Panthenol, Extract of Burdock & Comfrey & Quassia & Buckthorn & Chaparral & Cranesbil & Rosemary & Sage & Nettle & Hops & Horsetail & Chammomile & Yarrow, Jojoba, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Mucopolysaccharides, Tocopherol, Wheat Amino Acids, Biotin, Niacin, Sorbitol, Linoleic Acid, Arachidonic Acid, Acetamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, TEA Lauryl Sulfate, Lauramide DEA, 6-(N-Acetylamino)-4-Oxahexyl Trimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Proplparaben, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid FD&C Blue #1.

NEW PRODUCT: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Benzoate, Salicylic Acid, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cystine Bis-PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Lecithin, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Extract, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Blue 1, Biotin/Folic Acid/Cyanocobalamin/Niacinamide/Pantothenic Acid/Pyridoxine/Riboflavin/Thiamine/Yeast Polypeptides,Yeast Extract, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Phenoxyethanol.

This is no longer the same product and at least for me does not work anymore and in fact has been making my hair worse. Use this new product at your own risk!!! I hope they change it back to how it was.
on January 17, 2012
Size Name: 33.8oz.
I've been using Nioxin - stage 2 for about 8 months now. I bought it more or less as an impulse purchase at my local Great Clips because the stylist recommended it and it was on a pretty substantial sale.

Once I used it, I noticed a difference almost immediately...NOT in the sense of "regrowing" hair or even stopping the loss of hair, but in terms of how clean my hair seemed to feel. Once I had this experience, I started to scour the internet to find out what others were saying. What I found out is more or less consistent with my experience with these products.

First, the Nioxin folks NEVER make the claim this product will "regrow" hair. There is a misconception about this because the products were developed to assist those going through chemotherapy in terms of "thickening the appearance" of their thinning hair due to the treatments.

That being said, this product has - in my experience - given the illusion and feel of thicker - and "more" - hair. I'm guessing for most people, the "illusion" is what is important - so this product should work for them. If - on the other hand - you are looking for a medicinal solution to pattern hair loss, my recommendation would be to look elsewhere. I really don't think that is what this product claims or hopes to be. But if you're looking for a REALLY good shampoo and conditioner that "likely" will give the illusion and feeling of having a more robust head of hair, I would urge you to consider trying this.

To summarize...my conclusion is simple: I was using grocery store shampoo before I switched to Nioxin. I will STAY on Nioxin because if I buy it right, I can make a liter-size bottle of this last almost six months and it becomes very price-competitive. Go through the math - this is very high quality hair care for about the same - or less - than you'd pay for Suave at your local Publix grocery store. But use the regular stuff one day and Nioxin the next. It won't take you long to determine the difference - if you feel your hair is thicker and more vibrant, to me - that's just a great bonus.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations