Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Size: 33.8 fl. oz.|Change

on July 28, 2013
I've been using this product for many years. A couple of years ago, Nioxin switched production to Mexico, making a watered-down, inferior product but selling it for the same price (as many reviews here note). Even though it's inferior, I've continued buying it because I wasn't sure what else to use.

With my most recent order, I received the original Nioxin that is made in the US, and which deserves 5 stars. Hopefully, this means that the company that makes Nioxin heard consumer complaints and has decided to spend the money necessary to make a better product.

I have both bottles next to me and will now describe how you can tell the difference between the good stuff and the crappy stuff.

1. The good bottle has an all-black cap. The Mexican version's cap is black on the outside but the entire top is white.

2. At the back of the bottle, all the way on the bottom, the American bottle says "Made in U.S.A." The Mexican bottle says "Made in Mexico."

3. The ingredients are different (proving the recent negative reviews are onto something). The first 5 ingredients on the American bottle are: "Aqua/Eau/Water, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetydimonium Chloride, and Cetyl Alcohol."

The first 5 ingredients on the Mexican version are: "Water/Eau, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Quaternium-18, and Stearyl Alcohol."

Thus, when the maker of Nioxin acknowledges that they moved production to Mexico but have kept the same formula, don't believe them. This is clearly a different - and presumably cheaper - formulation.

4. The better stuff has it's labeling information printed directly on the bottle. The cheap stuff has a label that you can peel off; nothing is on the bottle itself.

Hopefully this helps people know the difference between the good and crappy stuff. If Nioxin has indeed gone back to making their bottles in the U.S., I'll continue to buy their product. But if the next bottle I buy was made in Mexico and has the watered down formula, I'd appreciate any recommendations for good competitor products.
on May 29, 2007
I used to have the worst dandruff, and my stylist recommended Nioxin, (system 1) shampoo/cleanser and conditioner/scalp therapy. I had heard it was for thinning hair, which I do not have. She reassured me that conditions causing thinning hair can also cause dandruff... so I tried it. That was 6 years ago, and I still recommend this stuff! It is great, and I regret every time I have run out!
on May 21, 2013
I have used Nioxin since 1997. Literally. I recently bought the number 4 and thought that formula was useless. It did nothing. So, I went back to my good old number 1. This formula is not the same. Something is very wrong. It is not the thick, green, wonderful stuff that works. It is a watered down, crappy conditioner that makes my hair fall out more. I hate Nioxin now and will NEVER buy it again. They have changed their products and lost a loyal customer of over ten years. Goodbye forever you horrible company.
on May 10, 2008
I've used this product, along with the matching shampoo, for over ten years.

Bottom line: my brothers both are balding/thinning; yet my hairline isn't showing any signs of receding at all. I'm convinced.

It's not cheap, but in my book it's worth it.
------------------------------------------
Update--I no longer use this. The company was sold (to P&G I believe), and they changed the ingredients. In fact, they started using an ingredient (sodium laurel sulfate or something like it) that a Nioxin representative had said was a possible contributor to hair loss. So I have no idea how good this product is anymore.
on November 9, 2009
I'm a 30 yr old female with long fine hair. I had destroyed my hair through dying it and wearing hair extensions so even though I stopped all that many months ago, my hair was still suffering and I could see all these short pieces where my hair had broken off. I also noticed hair was coming out from the roots when I brushed it trying to get the tangles out. My hair has always been very easily tangled, so I'd usually end up with a clump of hair in my hand at the end of each shower where I had used my fingers along with conditioner to comb out the tangles..and I was very gentle. I was also on occasion getting clogged pores in my scalp. I figured it was from using too much conditioner or detangle spray, since they have oils in them, but I couldn't keep just ripping my hair out. Anyway, I decided to give the Nioxin 1 shampoo/cleanser and conditioner a try (I chose system 1 since I'm not dying my hair anymore). I was pretty shocked that the first time I used it, I had significantly less hair in my hand at the end of the shower..about half as much. My head felt refreshed from the menthol like I could really feel the product working. My hair didn't have as many tangles and it doesn't seem to cause the pores on my scalp to clog. It smells so good, too. It reminds me of this chocolate chip mint body butter I have...yummy. I also got this follicle booster stuff to use after I shower to put around the hairline or wherever I'm losing the most hair. I don't know if that's helping or not, but it doesn't change the look or feel of my hair in a bad way like a lot of leave in products can do, so I'm going to keep using it. I still have some hairs that are coming out with the root attached, but it's significantly less than before. My scalp seems to be healing also. No more bumps on my scalp from clogged pores. My hair looks healthier though it's still not back to the way it was when I was 18 before all the dyes and hair extensions. Still this is a REAL product that has worked better than anything I've ever used (including Aveda and Amplify which I was using prior to this stuff). I bought more already and I'm going to keep using it to see if my hair and scalp keep improving. I had no idea that my hair problems could actually be scalp problems till I started using this. Thanks Nioxin!
on February 21, 2013
The Nioxin products made in USA are great. I used them for years. Some of them I bought from Amazon. The last bottle I got was also ordered thru Amazon.
That was a big disappointment.
The bottle was taped over with a piece of scotch tape. When I tried to take it off, prints from both sides of the bottle completely peeled off. I noticed that label said it was made in Mexico. My previous products were made in USA.
The content of the bottle also seems very different from the product I was using before.
I feel like I got something fake. I can't believe that Nioxin manufacturers would lower standards and produce something so low in packaging and quality.
on April 16, 2016
I've been using Nioxin for years. My hair is very thin in places and this is the only system I found that makes my hair look thicker. Almost like there is nothing wrong. My doctor even recommended it.
on July 31, 2015
I really love this product. It claims to work on fine hair...or starting to thin hair. What it seems to actually do is to "swell" the hair that you have already. It does not grow hair. The peppermint extract in the product does "cool" the scalp a bit. (Cancer patients can keep from losing their hair through "cold cap therapy.") I rinse well to rid my skin of any residue, and use every day.
on April 24, 2016
I have been using this conditioner for years. I love it. Leaves my hair soft and scalp tingly. I love the minty scent as apposed to perfumey scents of most brands. My fine hair tangles easily and the difference this conditioner makes is amazing. Much easier to comb when wet and brush when dry. Also seems to help a lot more than others for preventing static.
on December 15, 2015
Just started using there is definitely a noticeable difference it does not smell that great, but it seems to be making my hair feel more nourished. I love it so far I also purchased the shampoo. I have been using this product because my friend who is going through chemo recommended it and my hair has been falling out due to issues with my thyroid.