5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, January 18, 2009
This review is from: Nirve Forty-Nine Men's 3-Speed Cruiser Bike (Sports)
Love the bike! It is good quality, Nirve had great customer service, it was easy to assemble (just wheels and handle bars), and it is a better value than the Electra bikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike!, July 18, 2011
This review is from: Nirve Forty-Nine Men's 3-Speed Cruiser Bike (Sports)
This bike is great! It was easy to put together, comfortable to ride, and looks awesome! I was worried that 3 speeds wasn't going to be enough but it is. First gear is easy to peddle but doesn't go very fast. Second gear is okay. And third gear will get up to a decent speed.

I was worried I might be too heavy for this bike at 300lbs, but it handles my weight fine. It is a BIG bike. I only wish I had bought it when it was on sale!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Bike, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Nirve Forty-Nine Men's 3-Speed Cruiser Bike (Sports)
Fun to ride and very smooth. I try to ride it at least twice a week. Assembly was not difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having a puppy - expect to be noticed., August 25, 2012
This review is from: Nirve Forty-Nine Men's 3-Speed Cruiser Bike (Sports)
As soon as I saw the Nirve Forty-Niner I wanted it. It's like a bike version of a Les Paul Studio Classic guitar: works great - built to last - looks fabulous. I got the 3 speed black 49er and she got the pink Lahina 7 speed. We've only had them a week as of this writing and mine has about 30 miles on it. Not long enough to speak to durability but so far we are loving these bikes. The 7 speed works well though for me anything beyond 3 for a cruiser is overkill.

Buy from a quality bike shop if you can, to avoid the assembly issues others have written about and for the tuneup services and accessories like a quality lock.

More background:

My wife and I wanted cruisers to ride to LA Fitness and around town - mostly flat suburban riding. We had a budget of about $400 per bike and wanted whatever we chose to be fun, sturdy, and made in the USA if possible. We found out about Nirve after searching the Internet for a while and the retro look of their bikes hooked us immediately.

Nirve is headquartered about 20 miles from us which came as a surprise since we never heard of them. We weren't up for assembling anything, so we decided not to order online. Besides, we wanted to see and test the different models before buying. As far as we can tell this bike is designed in the USA (Huntington Beach), but made in China.