5.0 out of 5 stars Works on 2 legged Weasels Too
We bought these to keep away weasels from killing our chickens and keep away the herd of deer that was feasting on our landscaping.

The good news is that they worked! No more dead chickens and deer have stopped eating our landscaping - However, the neighbor's landscaping is looking poor.

NOW for the Best News!

I ordered a pizza and when...
Published on January 18, 2011 by Glen V Armand

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work for raccoons
This product DOES NOT work for raccoons. In fact, they laughed at me for wasting $20 on this device. They completely ignored the flashing LED and dug up my grass directly in front of the device. I've uploaded a picture into the customer images section for your viewing pleasure.
Published on May 10, 2012 by ac650

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on 2 legged Weasels Too, January 18, 2011
Glen V Armand (Warrenton, VA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nite Guard Solar NG-001 Predator Control Light, Single Pack (Lawn & Patio)

NOW for the Best News!

I ordered a pizza and when the delivery guy showed up (after dark) and saw the blinking red lights, he asked what kind of laser security system we had. I told him no worries I had turned it off before he drove up.

A week later my wife a ordered a pizza, different company different driver, same result. He asked about the security sensors.

3 more pizzas since then... same thing each time.

Our neighbors have even commented on the new security system we have and the menacing blinking red lights.

Best purchase we have made in a while.

Get some. They work on 4 legged and 2 legged weasels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only keeps my chickens alive...saved the compost bin from raccoons as well!, July 28, 2010
We actually think of our chickens as pets...they come to me when called, they eat out of my hand, they listen attentively, do tricks for cottage cheese, and crack me up. Yet, unlike our other pets, they make me eggs for breakfast and fertilize the yard at no additional charge.

So I want to keep em around.

Unfortunately, our house backs up to a prarie and deep woods so everything from coyotes to deer to raccoons etc are visitors...

Although our coop is very secure, raccoons can get into most locks you wouldn't think possible, dig under the coop, and so can coyotes. And if a coyote finds your coop, you will rarely be able to EVER keep him out again. Possums can also get in very tricky ways.

So we had concerns. I just read about this in a magazine I shutter to admit I read called something like Backyard chickens. Although there is an ad for it in the mag as well, it was cheaper here. Then a worker at the feed store mentioned it. So I got it on Amazon.

So here's the test. We keep the coop purposefully by our house so the chickens are less seen, heard and smelled to the wrong predators as they would be in the very back of our yard. But one attack would be too much.

To test it? I knew raccoons had found our compost bin at the very back of our yard after I had left it open and were coming back to visit every night, with pawprints even on our deck after we grilled. So I first put this on the compost bin, knowing they'd return. They haven't touched it since and it was OPEN for the taking. Good news.

That said, in order to be most effective read the directions about placement height and everything I read says to periodically move it around a bit on the coop so no animal gets used to seeing it, consequently, making it seem less risky to them to explore.

If there are a few ways a predator might get to your pen, you may need more than one.

Works via a red blinking laser light...I have no idea why unless word is out in the animal world that that is what a hunter's laser looks like... :-)

Runs on solar power and turns itself on and off. It is NOT activated by motion...but, though I thought this was the case, I guess it's better that it's not because by the time they are THAT close, chicken meat may smell too good to resist and this way they don't have to pass in front of it to be thwarted by it. Just seeing it keeps them at bay.

P.S. Have a free range area with an open top? I continue to read that crossing fishing line across the top then putting streamers of bright orange tape hanging down to flap will keep hawks from carrying away your hens, as well as climbers.

Negatives: Best to have several yet it's just too pricey to stock up as I wish I could for all sides of my coop. However, this appears to be the only manufacturer.

Positives: That's obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, no more fights with my dog, November 6, 2010
I was sceptical at first, but ordered 2 units, Within a week I ordered 2 more. My dog, a Siberian Huskie, has full access to a fenced in yard. he has battled with skunks, possums, racoons and even Bears. In New jersey every time your pet does battle with these animals he must get a rabies shot booster. three so far this year. Since installing these units there have been no more encounters with these animals. Coincidence or they actually do work. Read the directions as far as to the height installed for the type of animal to keep away. So far, no more visitors to my yard. ( Note: my Huskie did not actually fight with any bears but would chase them up the closest tree.) They operated the very night after installing them. On at dusk, off at dawn as advertised. Of course, I do not know if they will last three years but hope so.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work for raccoons, May 10, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product to thwart coons, possums, and other predators!, September 17, 2010
The price is better than through the poultry houses. We have three of these in use and have noticed a significant drop in the number of losses to predators. I don't know how or why they work, but they do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver for chickens and ducks!!!!!, September 13, 2009
Nite Guard completely stopped the loss of my ducks and chickens. I was loosing poultry at the rate of three a week once "whatever" predator was getting them had found out he had a food supply. Once I put the Nite Guards out, following the manufactures instruction, I have not had anymore of my poultry disappear. I was sceptical and my husband actually laughed at me when I told him about the product, but these have proven themselves for six months now. I do recommend anyone buying the Nite Guard first familiarize themself with the types of predators it deters and where to place the lights to scare off your type of predator. The information can be found at their [...]. You can't blame the lights for not working if the directions are not followed or if it doesn't claim to deter the type of predator you have. I know this review makes me sound like I work for the company, which I don't, but maybe should, since I am so impressed by the simplicity and effectiveness of this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Racoons love it, July 20, 2011
A momma raccoon and her three babies used this thing as a sort of disco light while they munched on the bird seed and corn in our back yard. For me, this thing didn't work at all. I think the reviewers who love it and say how good it works are employees of the company. I tried it in several locations. Raccoons, foxes, cats . . . they all love how their hair looks in the warm red glow of the little blinking light. It does NOT work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work, June 19, 2011
I tried these to ward off deer and other wild animals...so far, they don't work. Tried all types of heights and locations, the solar charge works well...the red light works well...just doesn't deter my wildlife.

2.0 out of 5 stars Night Gaurd Solar Powered Light Predator light, January 1, 2011
I bought 4 night guard lights because I had a weasel getting my chickens and ducks. I installed the lights so they were visiable in all 4 directions and moved them around the 3rd day and the weasel still got 2 ducks and 3 chickens since I had the night guards up. Finally caught the weasel in a trap. Don't recommend for weasels. Called night guards predator control expert and she had no real answer.

1.0 out of 5 stars worthless for my raccoon problem, February 27, 2011
I have always had a raccoon problem. They have eaten just about everything in my garden at one time or another. I have chickens and have always closed them in the chicken house every night. The coons have been getting into the feed that was left in an outside feeder at night and even forcing the lid off a metal garbage can that I keep the feed in. I thought I'd give this device a try to keep them out of the feed and garden. I set it up as per instructions. The feeder and garbage can were about ten feet in front of the Nite Guard. It made no difference. The coons continued to get into the feed like it wasn't there. I can only conclude that it doesn't work.
Update;
A couple of days after I wrote this review I set a Havaheart trap about 15 feet in front of the Niteguard and the next morning I had a coon in it. I don't know why the other reviewers are having a different experience than me. Maybe it was a blind coon.
Another update;
The Nite Guard started to get dimmer after a couple of months and at this point (about a year later) is completely dead. What a worthless piece of junk.