Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on May 3, 2012
Sizing:
Took me a while to figure out about all the sizes. I would recommend getting out a little tape measure and use these size measure's from the niteize website:
Size #.5 dimensions: 1.31" weight rating: n/a
Size #1 dimensions: 1.56" x .56" weight rating: 5 lb.
Size #2 dimensions: 2" x .88" weight rating: 10 lb.
Size #3 dimensions: 2.63" x 1.13" weight rating: 25 lb.
Size #4 dimensions: 3.5" x 1.5" weight rating: 75 lb.
Size #5 dimensions: 4.38" x 1.94" weight rating: 100 lb.

I got the #3 size, and i think that its the perfect size for my use. I have on there, a gerber Shard tool, a streamlight nano flashlight, 4 keys. all on the biner, without needing a keyring attached on there. For keys, i would think that the 0.5,1, or 2 might be a little tight. #4 is prob good if you have a jail warden-like set of keys, or if you want to hang a paintbucket from your pants (good luck keeping your pants on)

Only thing i don't like: One of my keys has the isosceles triangle shape for the ring hole and it because of its shape and the shape of the biner, it doesnt have any room to rotate around, making the rest of the keys sit kind of stiff. This is only an annoyance to me because i don't want to add on any key rings onto the biner, but obv. if you have a key ring that your keys hang from, its a non-issue.

This biner holds up pretty well, and im enjoying the s-design much more than traditional keychain biners. Why 5 stars? It does what its supposed to do, hangs on my beltloop nice and strong, easy to remove if i need it, and it holds a nice amount of weight.
review image
33 comments147 of 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 13, 2010
Overall I like them and find them very useful. It's just right for keychain/pocket use. I am constantly adding and removing things from my keychain so I find a standard o-ring slightly cumbersome to use. It's quick and easy to snap open the s-biner and add or remove things. It will hold roughly the same amount of stuff as a standard o-ring and is fairly durable. Some of the black color is starting to wear off, but otherwise it's in good shape after 5 months of use.

The one glaring problem is that it's way too easy for it to accidentally pop open. There have been several instances where I've realized a key was missing. Luckily each time the key was in my pocket or right there on the floor. There is unfortunately no lock to keep it from opening accidentally. Either that or a stiffer spring would have made this a 5-star product. If you use the s-biner carefully it is a useful product. But if you have something of particular value, I would not recommend using it because you have a higher-than-average chance of something accidentally falling off.
22 comments104 of 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
These S-Biner double-gated carabineers can be addictive. This Nite Ize SBHLF-2PK-11 S-Biner, Stainless, 2-Pack is the smallest of these widgets, but very handy when you're looking for a super-small (1.31" x .5") double-ended device for attaching things.

Please note: The package on each warns that none of these, plastic or stainless, should be use for climbing or where "disengagement could result in bodily injury or property damage." Enough on that, but just let common sense prevail. On a personal note, just be sure that the gate spring is properly engaged with the hook and you should have no problems.

The S-Biner is a small, handy thing that is a sort of double-ended carabineer, constructed from "2Cr13 Stainless steel for the body and 202 Stainless steel for the wire gates" according to the manufacturer. The hooks are slim and handy enough to use to attach to a variety of items, as you can see from the photos here, and they're available in black, stainless or "spectrum" (multicolored) finish... if you look for the right one.

But be careful before you order these. My gripe here is that the manufacturer doesn't provide adequate descriptions on their own Amazon page, and the lack of descriptions can be not only misleading, but also even irritating when you're trying to find the right one. I made a mistake while ordering a couple of these, so I went to the manufacturer's site and pulled down what is available. Will try to summarize the ones made from stainless steel here:

Nite Ize SBHLF, Size #.5  - dimensions: 1.31" x .5" weight rating: 3 lb.
Nite Ize SB1, Size #1 - dimensions: 1.56" x .56" weight rating: 5 lb.
Nite Ize SB2, Size #2 - dimensions: 2" x .88" weight rating: 10 lb.
Nite Ize SB3, Size #3 - dimensions: 2.63" x 1.13" weight rating: 25 lb.
Nite Ize SB4, Size #4 - dimensions: 3.5" x 1.5" weight rating: 75 lb.
Nite Ize SB5, Size #5 - dimensions: 4.38" x 1.94" weight rating: 100 lb.

Finding the right one can sometimes be confusing, as the manufacturer seems to have a really irritating hodgepodge on how they organize their products here, but if you get lost in the above links, try going to the Nite Ize SB3-03-11 Size-3 S-Biner, then pick from the finish and size that best fits your needs. They also offer a handy Nite Ize S-Biner Ahhh Carabiner Clip Bottle Opener in two versions, a double-ended gadget like the regular S-Biner gadgets except that it has a built-in bottle opener. One of these is on the strap of my camera bag for emergency use in the field when trying to hang things in tricky situations.

This manufacturer also offers some light weight but sturdy glass-filled nylon S-Biners with stainless steel wire closures, handy where you might not want to scratch more valuable equipment, such as photo gear. The Nite Ize SBP2 Plastic Size #2 Double Gated Carabiner, Black might be a good place to start, but you'll have to look for them. These can be found in the following sizes:

> Nite Ize SBP0 Size #0, plastic - dimensions: 1.18" x .49" x .14", no weight rating.
> Nite Ize SBP2 Size #2, plastic - dimensions: 2" x 1" x .3" weight rating: 10 lb.
> Nite Ize SBP4 Size #4, plastic - dimensions: 3.5" x 1.5" x .3" weight rating: 25 lb.
> Nite Ize SBP6 Size #6, plastic - dimensions: 5.6" x 2.6" x .45" weight rating: 50 lb.

Cannot fault these products. You could probably just use a garden-variety dollar store aluminum carabineer as a substitute for these, but if you value your gear, these are well worth a look. Might suggest that if you're going to use them where they will result in metal-to-metal contact, the plastic versions might be a better choice. Have use both the #2 and #4 sizes with cycling and for photo use as noted above and so far they have held up admirably.

Over the last few years I've bought a number of these, and have used the S-Biners for attaching items to a rack on the back of my mountain bike, as a replacement for the junky carabineer on water bottle lids, as a handy belt-loop clip for temporary devices, and to attach a tripod to my photo backpack for quick release. The uses for these are only limited to your imagination. Have bought a number of these both for personal use and as gifts for those who already seem to have everything, can only become one of the handiest gadgets that I've seen. The uses for these are only limited to your imagination, but be sure that the gate spring is properly engaged with the hook!

9/11/2012
0Comment61 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2009
I am feeling pretty good right now. Why? Because I am about to save hundreds of people the misery of losing their keys, favorite pocket knife, flashlight, thumb drive, etc... I have owned and used both the size 1 and 2 "S-biner"s on my keychain and they consistently (I was going to be ironic and say 'reliably') release/drop whatever is attached to them. I carry my keys in my pocket and have repeatedly found, on the ground, my $50 LED flashlight, 8GB USB drive, house keys, etc. I kept switching what I used the S-biner to hold thinking that it must be good for something because it is so cool. I even switched from size 1 to size 2. Finally after having that sick feeling of finding something I needed or that has value or was brand new on the floor about to be left and lost forever I gave up on this product. I give two stars because these actually are very nice, just not useful outside the safety of your home.
1010 comments165 of 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2009
I use them to attach my car key and micro tool to my main key ring. They are very hand but I do have one nit pick. I wish the tension on the wire gates were a bit more. Sometimes things unintentionally become unclipped because of the lack of tension.
22 comments31 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2012
I initially bought the next size up of these clips because they were the smallest in-store. I wanted it for a flash drive I keep on my key chain. It was nice but I wanted something smaller and less obtrusive. I only found the smaller size here on Amazon. This clip is strong for the size and does the job well.
review image
0Comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Once in awhile you run into a small item that may seem unworthy of reviewing, but it's so handy that you come back for more. The Nite Ize Size-1 S-Biner is such a product.

First discovered these in a camera store in New Jersey one weekend after paying for my purchases, and they looked interesting enough to make me go back for a second look. I'm glad that I did, as they were my first ones. Since then I've purchased a number of them for various purposes, including here on Amazon.com, as I'll explain.

First some general observations on this interesting product. Had seen a small write-up in Backpacker Magazine in a doctor's office a couple of years ago where they gave it an Editor's Choice Award, and said: "Don't ask yourself if you need this useful little widget. The question is: How many?" I thought that is was an interesting comment and made a mental note to look for them... then promptly forgot about them until they were encountered in that camera store.

Since then I've bought a number of them, and have used these gadgets for attaching items to a rack on the back of my mountain bike, as a replacement for the junky carabiner on water bottle lids, as a handy belt-loop clip for temporary devices, and to attach a tripod to my photo backpack for quick release. The uses for these are only limited to your imagination.

The S-Biner is a small, handy thing that is a sort of double-ended carabiner, constructed from "2Cr13 Stainless steel for the body and 202 Stainless steel for the wire gates" according to the manufacturer. The hooks are slim and handy enough to use to attach to a variety of items, as you can see from the photos here, and they're available in black, stainless or "spectrum" (multicolored) finish.

It's hard to figure out what size might meet your needs. I made a mistake while ordering a couple of these, so I went to the manufacturer's site and pulled down what is available. Will try to summarize here:

Size #1 - dimensions: 1.56" x .56" weight rating: 5 lb.
Size #2 - dimensions: 2" x .88" weight rating: 10 lb.
Size #3 - dimensions: 2.63" x 1.13" weight rating: 25 lb.
Size #4 - dimensions: 3.5" x 1.5" weight rating: 75 lb.
Size #5 - dimensions: 4.38" x 1.94" weight rating: 100 lb.

The manufacturer also offers a handy S-Biner Ahhh Carabiner Clip Bottle Opener (look it up), which is a double-ended gadget list like the regular S-biner gadgets except that it has a built-in bottle opener. There are a number of other innovative versions and styles, including a handy KeyRack Key Holder with S-Biners, with a stainless steel carabiner clip holding six different colored plastic S-Biners, and sized to hold 6 separate keys.

They also offer some light weight but sturdy glass-filled nylon S-Biners with stainless steel wire closures, handy where you might not want to scratch more valuable equipment, such as photo gear. These can be found in the following sizes:

Size #0, plastic - dimensions: 1.18" x .49" x .14", no weight rating.
Size #2, plastic - dimensions: 2" x 1" x .3" weight rating: 10 lb.
Size #4, plastic - dimensions: 3.5" x 1.5" x .3" weight rating: 25 lb.

The package on each warns that none of these, plastic or stainless, should be use for climbing or where "disengagement could result in bodily injury or property damage." Enough on that, but just let common sense prevail. On a personal note, just be sure that the gate spring properly engaged with the hook and you should have no problems.

I cannot fault these products. You could probably just use a garden-variety cheap aluminum carabiner as a substitute for these, but if you value your gear, these are well worth a look. Might suggest that if you're going to use them where they will result in metal-to-metal contact, the plastic versions might be a better choice. Have use both the #2 and #4 sizes with cycling and for photo use as noted above and so far they have held up admirably.

After having bought a number of these both for personal use and as gifts for those who already seem to have everything, can only become one of the handiest gadgets that I've seen this year. Am calling the S-Biner a 5-star Handy Widget of the Year... and I just ordered a few more.
1414 comments25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2013
After seeing the picture of this hooked on a water bottle, as well as the price, I bought this. I was intending on using this to hook gear to my backpack when I go on hunting trips. When I opened the package I was very surprised! These things are TINY!!! I have a similar water bottle sitting right next to me and these are about 1/3 the size in the picture. See my customer picture for accurate size.

Now, for $4 I might not send them back to Amazon, however, I will contact them to try to get the picture changed or removed.

All in all, if I was looking for a tiny carabiner, I would buy these again, however, I can't really see any reason for a one this small.
review image review image
11 comment22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2012
I use the stainless (metal) ones of these in size 2 for attaching sets of keys to my belt loops. The keys are attached together on a keyring, and I can easily slide the ring on and off the s-biner. Since the s-biner has 2 sides with their own openings, I don't have to worry about the keys sliding off while I'm pushing the other side open to attach it to my belt loop. I can also remove and re-attach the keys one-handed, while leaving the s-biner in place. I haven't had the problem which some other reviewers have mentioned, of the springs being too weak and things falling off. The springs aren't overly loose or overly tight; for me they are just right.
on May 18, 2008
The S-biner is a great concept, but the springs holding the clamps in place are far too weak. Key rings, car fobs and my Fisher space pen have all fallen off and been lost at some point using this keyring.

Until they can improve the quality of the springs to make them less prone to opening in your pocket, stay away.
33 comments30 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse