Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 4 oz.|Change

on April 5, 2015
If you're a person of color wondering if this will work for you, then you're in luck. I'm a 29 year old African American male.

Since I was 15, I've always dreaded getting my hair cut. Simply because getting my hair cut meant that the barbers and the customers in the barbershop would see dead skin fly all over the place whenever the clippers touched my scalp. I've had some barbers literally moisturize my scalp with moisturizer before cutting my hair. Embarassing. One guy wet a towel and let it sit on my head halfway through a haircut. I've even had some tell me in the middle of a cut that my flakes were out of control and that I seriously had to do something about it. I'd just nod my head and agree just to get out of the seat.

For over ten years, I've tried multiple products to get my flakes under control. My dad was a big fan of Head and Shoulders, but that did nothing but dry my scalp. Selson Blue (extra dry scalp edition) would work for 10 mins, then again, my scalp would dry out and the flakes would return. I've once read about "Black Tar" shampoo and how it was the holy grail in an Amazon review, tried using that, and nothing happened.

I began to think that I just had a moisturizing problem, ( i've never moisturized my scalp) so I tried different moisturizers. No dice. My scalp would indeed be moisturized, but the flakes would just sprout from under the moisturizer after 15 mins. Like always, I'd rub my hand over my head or brush it, and the dry skin would be everywhere. I'd just watch the flakes fall to the ground in disappointment.

2015 is the year in which I eradicate everything that I don't like about myself, (skinny, acne, dry scalp, etc) so I was determined to get my dry scalp handled. I went through another dozen of shampoos and conditioners until I saw someone mention "Nizoral" in a dermatologist forum.

Thank god for the internet -- you would never find something like this in your local Rite Aid/Wallgreens. According to others, Nizoral was the real deal. The shampoo for people like me, who had dandruff problems for years. People who've just accepted their dry scalp. People who were on the verge of going to a dermatologist. On April 3rd 2015, (two days ago) I remember being in the shower, sighing and saying "well, here goes.."

I immediately liked how easy the shampoo lathered. It was easy to spread, had a pleasant smell, and didn't feel like a bunch of chemicals on my head like the other shampoos. I massaged the shampoo on my scalp for about a minute, brushed it in with my exfoliating shampoo brush (highly recommended, 5 bucks on Amazon) and rinsed it out.

I've never felt my scalp feel like this before. Ever. An incredibly clean feel. I felt like that there was no gunk, flakes, dry skin, dirt on my head anymore. The itchiness I've had before I got in the shower? Gone.

Most importantly, this shampoo didn't irritate my skin. I've always broke out easily. My back, arm, shoulders, face. Two days later, no breakouts.

If you've been struggling with a flakey scalp for years, give Nizoral a try. I think people who flake easily like me, have something like a scalp fungus, or a skin condition, not something just as simple as a dry scalp. This is the shampoo for people like us. This shampoo saved my life. Two days later, my scalp is still moisturized, it looks healthy and I couldn't get my scalp to flake even if I scratched it.

Shout out to Johnson and Johnson for creating such a great product. For the first time in my life, I can go to the barbershop with my head held high.
1111 comments|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2015
Holy crap. It works. I'm writing a review to give back to to the eczema community which has helped me find this product.

Background: In summer 2014, I went on vacation to Seattle. While there, I started getting dry spots on my face. Though Seattle is a rainy city, the air, when not raining, is very, very dry, so I attributed the cause of my skin problems to that. Unfortunately, my skin problems followed me home. I had these strange, rough patches on my cheeks and chin that refused to be moisturized. I had never had anything like this on my face before. Nothing helped. I still believed at that point that it was related to weather. I just kept slathering on oils and lotions.

Then I started getting bumps on my hairline. And then my jawline. And then they got worse. I thought they were pimples and I didn't understand what was causing them-- I have always used oil to moisturize without a problem. I had no idea what to do since my skin was both dry and pimply. I didn't know what was going on-- my eczema flare-ups had stopped long ago and I never had an acne problem.

Now, 2015, a few months ago, my jawline bumps were getting out of control. Like I said, I thought they were pimples, so I put acne medication on them, which made them much, much worse-- they went from being mildly weird to causing huge scars. I started getting terrible scabs on my scalp from night time itching.

And a few weeks ago, I noticed that I had a serious dandruff problem. At first, I thought it was not a big deal since I have dark hair, and skin sheds-- I thought it was normal. But every movement would send flakes flying and brushing my hair was like being transported to Fargo. I would find flakes and scabs on my shoulders. It was scary and it was painful-- I didn't know what was wrong with me. At this point, I had no idea that my dandruff problem and my skin bumps were related at all.

Finally, I decided to do something about my dandruff problem (I didn't decide to do anything about my skin bump/dryness problem because I had already resolved to this being my new skin "type"). I did a bunch of research and got Nizoral. I started doing more reading and to my surprise I found out that my dandruff and other skin conditions were very likely related, both part of an issue called seborrheic dermatitis. Dandruff? Check. Jawline, hairline bumps? Check. No wonder the acne medication wasn't working... it wasn't acne.

Okay, getting over the disgusting fact that I had facial fungus, when I got in the shower, I took a scalp brush and applied Nizoral. It was really easy to ply into the hair unlike some other shampoos. After I rinsed my hair, I used a tiny bit of Nizoral on my face, to see what would happen. I hypothesized that because the skin issues had the same cause, that the treatment would be effective for both.

It worked. Holy crap. I can't believe it. After one application. I thought I'd have to wait for two applications after reading the reviews, but no. I usually start seeing large flakes in my hair a couple of hours after I shower. I haven't washed my hair in 3 days. My hair is not oily at all. I have seen 3 tiny flakes on my head. My head is not itchy at all. The bumps on my face have shrunk like crazy. I cannot believe it. I'm really happy. I'm so happy to start seeing my old skin again. This has really improved the quality of my life.
on December 23, 2003
I found out about this product several years ago when my doctor gave me the perscription formula for a bout of dandruff. It eventually became available in the non-perscription (1%) formula and for me, on the occasions that I need it the non-perscription formula has worked perfectly.
It is a very nice shampoo, aside from the anti-dandruff properties. It has a tingly (not burning or caustic feel) fresh feeling when you are using it and lathers extreamly well even in the hard water I have at home. After using it my hair has a very clean but not dry feeling.
I will use it from time to time as needed (usually in the fall) and I just had my son use it as well. It worked very well for him too and after the first use, the flakes were pretty much gone. Typically I will use it about a week and than I won't need it anymore. I also try to leave the lather on a few minutes to give it a chance to *work*.
I have to say that if you are in the market for a dandruff shampoo chose this one. The price is anywhere from a lot to a bit higher than the others but I haven't had to go out an buy anything else if I bought this first. I can't say that about the other products so in the long run this is most cost effective for me.
99 comments|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2014
This product is the only thing that works for my scalp psoriasis. The way I use it is I use one of those little 3oz container for traveling. I put a nickel-size amount in there, mix it with warm water and apply to my scalp BEFORE I hit the shower. Since you want max contact with your scalp for about 5-10 minutes, this method works great. If you use it while in the shower, some of the shampoo gets rinsed off and doesn't contact your scalp long enough. My way also minimizes too much of this product on my hair. This is for the scalp, not hair.
on April 22, 2008
My head. What was wrong with my head??? I say this because I never had problems with dandruff until my late twenties, when all of a sudden my skin started flaking off when touched. My eyebrows, my scalp, and even my ears! Friends would make fun of my ears and say I have wax in them, but it was really just loose skin flakes.

I gave it some time (a few years) hoping it would pass, trying different washing procedures, shampoos, etc. Basically, anytime I'de go in the shower.. I'de get out, dry.. and my skin would quickly follow with dryness, redness and flakes. It was ugly.

Finally, I get the nerve to see a dermatologist - and I say this because I dont like doctors much. The dermo told me that I needed to treat the problem, sebhoric dermatitis. Gave me a bunch of Neutrogena anti-dandruff samples and what not. I didnt like them and pretty much threw them in the garbage. They looked and smelled very chemically and I dont want that kinda stuff on my body.

A few months later I did some more research and found ingredients on Wiki about what relieves dandruff. I searched for that ingredient and found that Nizoral uses that same ingredient in their shampoo. Google + amazon = nizoral shampoo. Click to buy, a day or two later its delivered to my door and I used it that same day. Within the first, second or third use my symptoms were gone. I could care less about price, its cheap compared to the 80 dollar dermatologist visit which got me nowhere. Like everyone else said, its very foamy and cleans well.

I wash my hair every 3 days and quickly scrub it in and rinse it out, I dont care to leave it in. Basically, its in there long enough to do what it needs to do - and it does it well.

Since then, I've been dandruff free thanks to Nizoral. It appears that Ferrari and Nizoral are now two fabulous products that come from Italy.
33 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2013
* During the past five years, Nizoral has only been available via a "black market" of sorts.

* Sellers have been asking for mind-boggling amounts of money for bottles of the original, "gold-standard," Belgium-made-formula - taking advantage of buyers upset over the horrific red tape issues involving manufacturing standards associated with its makers, McNeil, Inc. in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania - and with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This created endless shortages and massive "hoarding behavior" throughout the United States.

* These issues have now been resolved!

* What does this mean to you?

* It means no more daily checking at eBay or at other sites to buy this product at a cost equal to dinner at a five-star Parisian restaurant. No more pain to your wallet, no more paying through your nose to get Nizoral.

* Just check Amazon and/or Drugstore online and watch prices drop to under $16 for a hefty 7-ounce bottle.

* The reasons Nizoral 1% ketoconazole - is still preferred EVEN over the always available (by prescription only) 2% generic ketoconazole - are legion. Its blue-silver-colored creamy 1% formula is silkier to the touch, lightly scented and soaks the scalp in ways the red-orange or other syrupy alternative formulas cannot match. For thousands of people, it's been the only thing that WORKS to treat scalp issues, which in turn created buyer desperation when it disappeared from store shelves, causing "after-market" prices to shoot to the moon.

* Hence breathe a sigh of relief and shop around! If you see a bottle of Nizoral at a retail store this week, don't worry about "stocking up" as if you were at a Costco or a Sam's Club preparing for the Armageddon.
1818 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2014
I have had itchy and flaky scalp issues for well over thirty years! I have used various dandruff shampoos during this time, and never had much relief from this chronic problem. After watching an episode of Dr. Oz I learned that dandruff comes from fungus eating the oil on the scalp, so you need an antifungal product to kill it (never knew that ). I then googled best rated anti fungal shampoos online and Nizoral AD had great reviews. I went to my go to place, Amazon and read the more reviews and thought I would try it. I ordered nizoral hoping I wouldn't hate it, and wasn't going to have to spend more money on a useless product. Well, I waited several months to write my review because I wanted to try the product for several months so that I can give an accurate assessment. Based on the directions and other reviews, I decided to use it about twice a week and leave it on my scalp and hair for five minutes. I wash my hair everyday and use a moisturizing shampoo in between using nizoral. I also use a lot of conditioner on the days I use nizoral. I have color treated hair and didn't want too much dryness or color fading. I am thrilled with the results. I have noticed at least an eighty percent improvement in itching and flaking and my scalp feels much cleaner and less oily. My hair feels clean, but not totally fried, dried or stripped. also I do not have bad hair days when I use it like other dandruff shampoos. It doesn't smell terrible and my hair isn't totally unmanageable after using it too. Some dandruff shampoos make my scalp sore, but this does not! I really wish I knew about this product years ago, but I'm glad I finally found something that truly works and doesn't ravage my hair, smell bad, or strip color in the process. I also have been noticing less hair loss since using NIzoral a.d. I have been using rogaine for the past few years, and notice even less hair loss since using this shampoo. Rogaine tends to make your scalp a bit flakier because of the alcohol in it, so this shampoo has been a life saver. I have had great results for the past few months using this product, and will continue to use this as long as they make it and sell it! Please do not change this product or stop selling this. the price is a bit high, but well worth every penny to me because it works!
on January 2, 2013
I turned to Nizoral after several failed attempts with other dandruff products. After a few days, I noticed improvement already. First went the itching and then the flakes also disappeared. It is quite expensive so I try to use it as little as possible. I found that by using it once every two weeks along with a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner which I use daily, my dandruff and itchy scalp became completely cured.

I did initially try using my regular head and shoulders shampoo in between washings with the Nizoral but I felt I had more dandruff coming back so I tried the tea tree oil which I learned is great for dandruff and especially dry scalp -Organic Health Invigorating Tea Tree Oil Shampoo & Conditioner + FREE Tea Tree Oil Soap Bars by Herbal Authority. My hair in general has become more shiny and full, love the smell of the tea tree shampoo too! If you're struggling with dandruff, I would suggest using some type of tea tree oil based shampoo along with this product as a long term affordable solution.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
This product needs a 6 stars review. I have to start saying that I'm a hairstylist and I have worked with top of the line products, including anti dandruff shampoos and treatments. This is the ONLY product that works.
Dandruff is cause by a fungus that works similarly like a yeast infection. When there's an imbalance the scalp reacts causing dandruff. Can be hair dyes, hair products, even stress.
When you have a fungus you need an anti fungal medication and ketokonazole is that. There's nothing else in the market without prescription that can help you out. Other known shampoos like the ones containing salicylic acid only exfoliates the scalp but can't kill the fungus.
Some reviews said that it made the dandruff worse after 1 or 2 shampoos and stopped using it. This is a TREATMENT, ideally you wash your hair 3 times a week with this shampoo for the first 2 weeks. You will see more flakes coming out the first 2 or 3 times, it means you are getting rid of it. And then less and less, trust me.
For those that says it leaves the hair dry I tell them you only use this shampoo on the scalp, you don't rub it on the ends. You can use your regular shampoo to mid shaft down. Hope this helps.
on May 20, 2014
i read on the internet that this will grow hair, or at least stop hairloss. i've been using 2x per week with a scalp massage brush http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028R4SRO/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_5 and leaving it for a couple of minutes. i swear i can see baby hairs on my hairline and my scalp is less visible through my hair than it was. it will take awhile so be patient, especially if you've been balding awhile; it's best if you do it when you are just starting to lose hair though. for women, balding is unacceptable and this really helped me.