Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: No Baggage
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon September 7, 2009
No Baggage is Dolores O'Riordan's second solo CD, and I think it is an improvement over her debut Are You Listening?. She has changed quite a bit on this CD including record labels. She is now on Zoe Records home to one of my favorite artists, Sarah Harmer. However, she and Dan Brodbeck produced both CDs, and she wrote the songs on both so the differences would seem to be more artist driven than by the label.

Cranberries fans will find this CD much to their liking. A lot of what you hear sound like it could have been recorded with O'Riordan's old band mates circa Bury the Hatchet. One of my favorites on this CD is "It's You". It mixes electric sounds with acoustic jangle, and it has a tinge of sadness that isn't explained until the end as O'Riordan advises "Don't wish your days away" as she has done at times. "Stupid" is a piano driven song that also has a very distinct Cranberries feel to it. She seems to be wrestling with something that she can't get out of her mind.

Other tracks also suggest this to be a cathartic effort as "Switch Off The Moment", "Skeleton", "Be Careful", "Lunatic", and "Tranquilizer" all seem to point to something deep and dark within. It is not clear if she sings of herself or someone close to her, but it is clear that she has been a part of a number of struggles in some form or fashion. I thought that one of the best usages of instrumentation to create the mood that goes with the lyrics was on "Lunatic". Here the piano playing builds to a crescendo with the right chords to create the tension to go with the lyrics - "There's nowhere you can hide".

One song that has less of a Cranberries vibe is the first single "The Journey". The electric guitar has a brighter sound and the riffs seem fresh. Another more unique track is "Throw Your Arms Around Me". It starts with instrumentation that seems to suggest a jungle or island location.

Finally, I found it odd that No Baggage includes one carryover song from Are You Listening? in "Apple Of My Eye". It was not one of my favorite songs, and a second recording has not changed things. Fortunately, this is the only real low point on No Baggage.

Overall, No Baggage is a very good CD from Dolores O'Riordan. What is somewhat puzzling is why she created a CD that could easily be 75% Cranberries in form with different musicians. Adding further to the confusion is that The Cranberries are getting back together for a tour in which they will play both their old material and songs from *this* CD as well. In the end I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's good music.

Download this: It's You
on September 16, 2009
I'm new to Dolores' music. I learned about her through her single, The Journey, which was very inspiring to me. Since then, I've chatted with her some on her web page, learned more about what inspires her and seen a few of her interviews. There's something very intriguing and inspiring about this woman and her voice...yet, it's her words, a spiritual yearning for something more in life and for othes that I hear in her songs which is also what draws me to her music. I have been very touched by her first single (The Journey) but now, having listened to the rest of her album, it's one of the best that I have really ever heard. It's a tenderness mixed with strength. An introspection on the difficulty of life combined with a message about what is better that brings a sweetness to her songs.
on December 1, 2013
I highly suggest that you pick this up if you like The Cranberries and/or Dolores O'Riordan's past works. I would say this is a better album than "Are You Listening?". Some of the best songs are Fly Through and Switch Off the Moment, but I think the whole album is well rounded and consistent with almost no filler.
on June 26, 2010
I am a big fan of The Cranberries (Dolores O'Riordan's band) and I was desperate for some more of their music. I found out Dolores had solo albums so I thought I would give this one a try. This album sounds very much like a Cranberries album, but it also still has a unique quality about it. I love her unique voice. There are some really great songs on this album (Stupid, Apple of My Eye, The Journey, Tranquilizer). Apple of My Eye is my favorite and also my husband's. The other songs are decent but don't stand out to me the way those four do.
on November 13, 2009
I think it is a great album. I can't wait for the Cranberries reunion tour next year I hope they come to Colorado.

She isn't the first to go solo while the rest of the band takes a break 'like Fergie Ferg'. I know alot of people say her solo music sounds like the Cranberries, but what do they expect, I can say that about almost every artist that went solo like: David Gilmore (Pink Floyd), Phil Collins (Genesis), Peter Cetera (Chicago), Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden) and so On. And she hasn't lost her touch on me. No Baggage
on September 26, 2009
After the first listen, I was pretty disappointed with this album. I think it was because I was going into it expecting it to be a copy of her first solo album, "Are You Listening?". Yet, as with many other albums that I've come to absolutely love, "No Baggage" took several unbiased listenings to truly appreciate. Everyone has the right to his or her own opinion, but try to ignore the blasting reviews that a couple of people gave this album and give it a couple of listens if you're a true Dolores O'Riordan fan, and I'm pretty sure that you will see that there's more than just a little bit of good stuff to be enjoyed. My faves are the darker, more solemn ones--Lunatic and Stupid, but I also love a couple of the more upbeat ones, like "Fly Through" and "Switch off the Moment." Plus, "It's You" is a sweet catchy tune that reminds me of O'Riordan's Cranberries days, which is nice, of course.
on June 22, 2011
From the Cranberries first album until now, she just keeps on singing. Some days she just background music, other days she's all I want to hear. I hope she graces us with another solo album. I have both Listening and Baggage, along with most of the Cranberries.
on November 26, 2009
I don't own this CD. I'm luckier than most in that I saw the Cranberries in Toronto last weekend and they did some tunes off of this album. I'm without a doubt one up on any of you who have not seen this tour. To say that the show was great would be so much of an understatement it wouldn't be fair. I've never seen such an amazing show in my entire life and I'm talking about Pink Floyd in '88, The Who in '82, Rush Moving Pictures, The Clash in '82, Elvis Costello.......everything that I thought was great was all of a sudden thrown into the back seat. Spend the money while Dolores's voice is still absolutely perfect. The entire band is so talented, it's awe inspiring.
on August 25, 2009
No Baggage is Are You Listening part two. I love her voice. She is one of the best vocalists, and songwriters of our time. I love Are You Listening, so I couldn't wait for her to release another album. I like all the music she has done. I have been a fan of The Cranberries, and Dolores for many years. Her music is amazing. If you like Are You Listening, you have to have No Baggage. This is one of my favorite albums of 2009.
on January 7, 2010
alone or with company... Dolores always sound great!

waiting for the cranberries concert here in Santiago Chile!
I love the previous album, and this one is also great!

hope she things some of her solo projects during the concert! =)