5.0 out of 5 stars Life on the bright side
As the Kirkus Review so aptly put it, this is "an upbeat chronicle of a life that has been lived on the bright side of the road, its ruts beveled by naked love." Having known and loved this family for 20 years, having been along with them for the ride, I have to admit to a certain partiality. So I leave it to others to be objective and I think their reviews give credence...
Published on April 12, 2011 by Judith

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read about Motherhood
Published on August 8, 2012 by N. Larsen

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, April 25, 2012
This review is from: No Biking in the House Without a Helmet (Hardcover)
The writer paints a very realistic picture of her journey filled with struggles, second thoughts, and happy times throughout the adoptions of her children. It was very refreshing to read an adoption book in which things were not all perfect and happily ever after as most people would paint the picture to be.I enjoyed this book very much.

I ordered standard shipping and I received the book in a little over a week with very little damage to the edges of the book ( to be expected ) from shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 13, 2012
We read it for our book club and found Melissa's message informative, worthwhile and written well with humor. It's a light read with substance.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, June 29, 2011
This review is from: No Biking in the House Without a Helmet (Hardcover)
This was a wonderful book. It flowed well and was easy to read. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can identify!, October 16, 2014
Couldn't put it down! This is a wonderful book, and it makes you want to hear "the rest of the story" after all the kids have grown up. Having lived in the Atlanta area for 23 years where my kids attended an elementary school with 43 different nationalities, I could certainly identify with the international flavor of their school. Also, having sponsored two refugee children from Romania who became soccer stars in high school and college, I enjoyed reading about the Ethiopian teenagers. I heartily recommend this book to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the picture of a blessed Granny just like me, September 26, 2014
As we have an adopted granddaughter, I could relate to so much in this book.I loved the picture of a blessed Granny just like me! I enjoyed the book so much that I bought it for my daughter. I know that she goes through the thoughts and emotions that Melissa Fay Greene experiences. I take my hat off to the families that travel this route but I also know that the Blessings you receive are many. Melissa Fay Greene writes with an amazing sense of humour, even when it is hard to see the humour in the situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it; one small caveat, July 6, 2011
This review is from: No Biking in the House Without a Helmet (Hardcover)
As a mother of children by birth and adoption, I love stories like this one.....stories of large families, including adopted children, coping, laughing, and journeying through life together. I found this to be a very engaging book, and there was much in it which was inspiring and comforting. All of her children shine and are extraordinary in their own ways; I was particularly impressed with Lee, an amazing young man.
There was one troubling detail for me. When young Molly, absorbed in the punk scene as a teenager, explains to her mother the meaning of "Nine Inch Nails", I so wish her mother had taken this opportunity to talk to her daughter about respect for other faiths and sensitivity to others' sacred images. As a person of faith herself, I was surprised that the author didn't initiate this discussion (or maybe she did, but did not include it in the book). The image of Christ on the cross is deeply sacred to many, and it made me very uncomfortable to see it treated in so flippant a manner.
Otherwise, I really loved and appreciated this lovely book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read about Motherhood, August 8, 2012
This review is from: No Biking in the House Without a Helmet (Hardcover)
I am a mother of three young boys, and I appreciate this perspective on heartfelt, fun, and practical parenting. But this is just the side story! Melissa fills the book with thoughts about adoption, AIDS, Ethiopia, Atlanta, being Jewish, and surviving family pets. I'm laughing at loud as I read at night while my husband snoozes next to me. I sneak away during the day to read another chapter. Then, I find my kids again, hug them and laugh (instead of yell) when they drive me crazy. What a gem!

UPDATE: Now that I have read the entire book, I can say that the first 300 pages were exactly as I described, with many poignant and/or funny stories to absorb. The book degenerated in the last 50 pages. Melissa's beautiful writing wasn't as thought-provoking or well-written. Strange family events that didn't resolve and long lists took over. I couldn't see what her point with the book was by then and skimmed to the end. Too bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing story written by an amazing author, October 6, 2014
This is an amazing story written by an amazing author. It is nourishing to read with moments ranging from humor to poignancy, sadness and struggles. Every family member is a hero in his or her own right, whether its parenting children through life successfully, accepting new siblings with compassion or appreciating the value of every person's culture. I recommend it to every reader I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars my summer read, June 7, 2014
first I read Praying for Sheetrock and enjoyed it so much that I went on a search for other books by the author. This seems like a good book to include on my summer reading list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, May 5, 2014
Simply put, I loved this book. It was honest, heartbreaking and hysterical. I am anxiously awaiting the sequel with further adventures of this marvelous family.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

No Biking in the House Without a Helmet
No Biking in the House Without a Helmet by Melissa Fay Greene (Hardcover - April 12, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01