5,746 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Story from a Boots on the Ground Perspective
Published 22 months ago by Victor Cheng

3.0 out of 5 stars 3-star book, 5-star author
Published 22 months ago by Warren Shady

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Story from a Boots on the Ground Perspective, September 4, 2012
In No Easy Day, you see an account of the raid to capture or kill Osama Bin Laden from the eyes on someone who was there - one of four team leaders on the ground that night. The account is most definitely gripping, I could not put it down and I skipped sleeping to finish it - yes, there will be hell to pay at work tomorrow. But, nowhere close to as much hell as the operators in DevGru (aka Seal Team 6) undertook to get into DevGru and to stay there.

The first thing that struck me was just how elite a team the US sent on that raid. To be a member of DevGru you have to ALREADY be a Navy Seal. Most who apply don't make it, but they go back to being a "regular" SEAL which has nothing regular about it. For the Bin Laden raid, they essentially assembled an All Star team of the most seasoned DevGru operators from multiple teams and put them together on a team consisting of the best of the best of the best.

My next takeaway on the actual raid itself was how many things actually went wrong. Here you have the best of the best taking part in a historic mission, and all kinds of things start falling apart. Yet, amazingly (to me), despite all the problems, it still worked out. Thats because everything that could have gone wrong was previously anticipated, contingency plans made, and all back up plans were rehearsed multiple times. While I considered the mission to be successful, the impression I get is the members of DevGru thought they could have done it much better. (I'll leave out the details as to avoid spoiling the story).

This leads me to my next takeaway which is just how devoted to perfection and exceptional performance these operators seem to be. One thing that surprised me is how much they train when they aren't deployed. If they aren't jumping out of helicopters on a real mission, they are jumping out of real helicopters for practice. The missions are abroad and the training sessions are state side but often away from home too.

In short, these guys don't ever seem to be at home very much, it just takes that much work and training to be as good as these guys are. I for one am glad they are on OUR side and my appreciation for them has certainly gone way up after reading this book,

No Easy Day very much gives you a view into both the Bin Laden raid but also the years and in some cases decades of demanding work that led up to it... And the title IS accurate, there doesn't seem to be ANY easy days as a member of DevGru.

Overall a gripping story on the Bin Laden raid with excellent perspective on the life of the operators in DevGru (Seal Team 6).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. An intense, well written, and captivating memoir. I finished it in one day., September 4, 2012
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am usually a very slow reader and my attention often wanders, especially with non-fiction. This book though kept my attention completely. From the author's opening notes about how nothing in this book violates secrecy or operational security to the very last chapter I was completely captivated. The writing is superb and the flow of the book is great.

I highly recommend that you read this book. It is excellent not just as history, or a story, but also a book about how winners think. Guys like "Owen" look at challenges and life completely differently than average people do, and reading this book gave me a wonderful insight into his head. To get an honest view into the thought processes of someone like "Owen" is a unique and incredible opportunity.

I really enjoyed this book and feel like I learned a tremendous amount from it. I highly recommend it.

People who are bashing the book for being a sell out or violating secrecy either have not read the book or are looking at it from a very unique and odd perspective. I find it especially perplexing that some people are bashing him using his experience to gain fame and profit. Considering he wrote under a pseudonym and is donating a majority of the book's proceeds to charity, I can't really understand these accusations. He explains throughout the book that he was motivated to become a SEAL, in part, by reading a similar book about missions in Vietnam. I think that his primary motivation in writing this book is to inform the public, especially those very very few who might make up a future generation of SEALs and Delta operators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hero's Never Use the Term for Themselves, September 4, 2012
"No Easy Day" by Mark Owen (a pseudonym) is published by Dutton Adult. It is the story of a Navy SEAL, an elite special operations warrior with its climax in the story of the raid and death of Osama Bin Laden.

Immediately striking is the author's ability to picture himself as a real, flawed person. He shows appreciation for others in his line of work without painting them as either unbelievably superhuman or as some kind of fringe military extremists. The characters are revealed to be dedicated to an intense level of self-discipline and while admitting to errors in performance, they have the persistence to improve their skills at the highest levels of military training and preparation in the world today. It is the very humanity of the characters that brought me into the story. It's a book about struggle and those who find the work-arounds to defeat.

There is nothing in my reading of this book to signal the author is being deceitful or embellishing his role in warfare for personal gain. The author was straightforward in the introduction by informing the reader that he has taken necessary precautions for preventing the inadvertent release of classified information. He neither sets himself up as a some kind of national hero or as a potential platform for a future political career. It is smoothly written without being crass or overly graphic.

As becomes evident, the author is motivated out of a desire to positively influence other young men to pursue their dreams regardless of whether it works out as military service or not. Owen's personal tale begins as a young man who was profoundly influenced by the reading of a book about a special operations predecessor. The author, if the story is to be believed, wanted nothing more to hone his skills and to experience the most he could by overcoming his weaknesses with the help of others. Indeed, iron sharpens iron.

I have known similar men (Hal Moore and William Wingett, for example), with whom I've disagreed with their refusal and reluctance of being called "hero." One theme that runs through my discussions with them is that even though the story is about their experience, they are more excited to describe the successes of those around them. They don't boast about themselves, but about camaraderie, struggle and the willingness of those around them to take on the most hazardous experiences with the sole determination of overcoming any obstacle. They show their heroism by stressing the success of others. And those of us who come after them learn we can achieve the seemingly impossible, because, quite simply, these guys have done the same and more.

Overall, this book has provided me with great insight into how courageous people behave and think. This book provided me with a number of opportunities to reflect on what I perceive as heroism. This book by Mark Owen was inspirational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tip of the Spear, September 6, 2012
No Easy Day by former U.S. Navy SEAL "Mark Owen," a pseudonym, is the story of Operation Neptune Spear and the killing of Osama bin Laden. Owen was part of the elite Seal Team 6 which is actually an older name for DEVGRU (Development Group) which has now been changed to another name which is classified. Owen was honorably separated in 2011 after serving more than 10 years and 13 deployments. Due to writing this book one thing is certain which is this former DEVGRU operator has been ostracized by the men of DEVGRU. Owen will forever be persona non grata by his former teammates for writing about his former unit.

While the book is subtitled, "The Firsthand Account of the Mission that Killed Osama Bin Laden" the beginning of the book of focused more on Owen's life to include some very basic information of his time growing up in Alaska. He discusses how he learned to responsibly use a firearm at a young age. How reading the book Men In Green Faces by former SEAL Gene Wentz inspired Owen to become a SEAL. Also discussed is the selection and assessment process known as "Green Team" for DEVGRU along with very basic information on their training. Mental toughness is briefly discussed and it becomes very apparent that it is a significant factor that cannot be underestimated and is not only required to be a SEAL but must be finely honed to be a member of DEVGRU. He spends time discussing his gear commonly referred to as a "kit" and how he meticulously organizes and takes care of all his equipment in an OCD-like manner. He has a separate color coded bag for close quarter Battle (CQB), high altitude-high opening parachute jumps (HAHO), and his combat swimmer dive kit. All of his equipment kits were organized and ready for use should he be called for duty. DEVGRU had the added benefit that he could get any gear he needed and have the gear modified without going through a difficult bureaucratic process. He discusses his time with Seal Team 5 and some of the operations that he participated in Iraq and Afghanistan. Owen discussed the operation to save the captain of the Maersk Alabama which was hijacked by Somali pirates. That chapter was very bland and provided very little insight that was not covered in the news. For example, you will not get any information on how the three SEAL snipers fired simultaneously to kill the pirates.

When Owen starts talking about the mission to get bin Laden the story gets very entertaining. Again, no secrets are revealed but you get a sense, from his perspective, of what it was like to be part of this process. He discussed the extreme amount of training that went into the mission. How they had to wait to see if it would actually get approved. How the downtime and waiting can be the hardest part. In Chapter 16 titled Geronimo it is interesting to note how bin Laden never put up a fight. Owen states:

"Bin Laden knew we were coming when he heard the helicopter. I had more respect for Ahmed al-Kuwaiti in the guesthouse because at least he tried to defend himself and his family. Bin Laden had more time to prepare than the others, and yet he still didn't do anything. Did he believe his own message? Was he willing to fight the war he asked for? I don't think so. Otherwise, he would have at least gotten his gun and stood up for what he believed. There is no honor in sending people to die for something you won't even fight for yourself."

I believe that quote is profound on a host of levels. In the end it shows that bin Laden was a coward who would not even defend his wive's, family, or himself. Yet, he repeatedly sent messages for other to fight the infidel's and Americans to the death. He failed to follow his own advice.

My thoughts and insights on the book are as follows:

- The amount of dedication and commitment required by SEALs is amazing. They are away from their family and friends for long periods of time often with little contact. It is not uncommon for SEALs to be away from their family for over 300 days per year. SEALs are ordinary men who regularly perform extraordinary tasks.

- When not operational they spend an significant amount of time training and honing their skills.

- I did not find Owen to be egotistical or self-aggrandizing. I felt this book was really ones persons perspective that could apply to many SEALs.

- I was expecting Owen to really bash Obama but he did not.

- The book does not give away any tactics, techniques, or procedures (TTP's).

- Many of the stories are entertaining but leaves out so many details that you are left wanting to know more of the specifics (without giving away classified information.)

Then there is the issue of Owen writing this book without going through the proper vetting process considering that he signed Non-Disclosure Agreements. It is not up to me to judge Owen on this and my review is based solely on the content of the book. Owen was part of a close knit group and he clearly knows the possible repercussions for writing this book and how the SEAL teams will view him. As stated earlier he will more than likely be persona non grata which is a sad end to his honorable service. But, I don't get to decide this; his former teammates do. Owen clearly knows that he will be held accountable and responsible for his actions. I suspect that by writing this book he is willing to take whatever may come his way. About writing this book Owen states:

"One of my first projects after leaving (the Navy) was this book. Deciding to do it wasn't easy. No one at the command thought much of the notoriety that came after the Bin Laden raid. We watched it with amusement at first, but that quickly turned to dread as more and more information leaked. We always prided ourselves for being quiet professional, but the more I saw coverage of the raid, the more I wanted to set the record straight.

To date, how the mission to kill Bin Laden has been reported is wrong. Even reports claiming to have the inside story have been incorrect. I felt like someone had to tell the true story. To me, the story is bigger than the raid itself and much more about the men at the command who willingly go into harm's way, sacrificing all they have to do the job. Theirs is a story that deserves to be told, and told as accurately as possible."

Only Owen will know if writing the book accomplished his goal!

It should be noted that the majority of proceeds from this book will go to the following charities:

+ All In All The Time Foundation
+ The Navy SEAL Foundation
+ Tip of the Spear Foundation

The Navy SEAL Foundation has released the following statement:

The Navy SEAL Foundation has received numerous inquiries regarding receiving potential proceeds from the sale of the book No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden. The Navy SEAL Foundation is committed to providing immediate and ongoing support and assistance to the Naval Special Warfare community and their families. With this principled mission in mind, the Foundation will not be accepting any donations that are generated from the book or any related activities. The Department of Defense (DOD) is considering pursuing legal remedies against the author. As a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, the Foundation is not involved with any of the actions taken by the DOD. The Navy SEAL Foundation honors our warriors and protects their families.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a Veterans Perspective, September 5, 2012
Brad81 (Blue Bell, PA) - See all my reviews
I, like many Americans, were anxiously awaiting the release of the book yesterday and I finished it this afternoon. I am also a 70% (mainly PTSD) disabled OEF & OIF Veteran (Airborne Infantry) and am so thankful that Mr. Owen published his firsthand account of what happened. People might not like the idea of a Team 6 member disclosing certain aspects of this landmark mission but I am very happy that I now know what exactly took place.

However, reading this book was therapeutic for me and provided me with a much broader sense of closure than what was provided to me by the President on the night UBL was taken out. While these guys were on a different planet than I was from a militaristic standpoint, I could feel the anxiety and emotions and could easily relate. So many Americans and families have sacrificed so much and they deserve to know what happened. They need to know that they didn't lose their loved ones in vain. I, myself, needed to know that I didn't lose buddies for nothing. This might not be the book review people might be looking for but for me the book was the single, most important book I have ever read. I am relieved that I now have a picture painted of the raid and that will help me sleep a little better tongight.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3-star book, 5-star author, September 4, 2012
This review is from: No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission that Killed Osama Bin Laden (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, author, Mark Owen, is a five-star hero. My three-star rating of the book should not take away from that fact. This is the only story of the UBL raid as told by someone who was boots-on-ground. The hype surrounding the pre-release is completely unfounded; there are no politically scathing illuminations or resentment against the "establishment" within these pages.

Secondly, three-stars is not a bad rating; I recommend this book for people who enjoy reading about the professional life of Navy SEALS, but there are volumes of books written about this subject. The story of the UBL raid was secondary to the professional story of a post 9/11 Navy SEAL. In a way, I believe Mark Owen was trying to get that very point across; aside from the immense, historical significance, the mechanics of the UBL raid was essentially like the hundreds of other raids in which he was involved. Furthermore, Mark Owen acknowledges that many other Navy SEALS were just as qualified to accomplish the mission, but he happened to be in the senior position at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Ignore the Criticism and Judge for Yourself, September 14, 2012
Steve Dietrich (Santa Ynez Valley and Santa Monica CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The author takes us through his career as a Seal including his time with the exclusive Seal team tasked with the most difficult missions.

A number of the deployments are routine to the extent that being deployed to remote areas in two wars can ever be considered routine. The reader is taken along on multiple missions in Afghanistan and Iraq and gains a better appreciation of the life of a Seal outside the wire.

This is a great story of a warrior's career. Like an NFL career it takes a heavy toll on the body and the mind. Unlike the NFL there's no long off season, no benchwarmers ready to provide a break and no semi retirement playing second to a star.

Hardware freaks will have severe envy as the author discusses their equipment and the virtually bottomless armory and talented personnel available to provide them with highly personalized weapons for any occasion. Not the James Bond stuff but the best of the military and civilian world.

Perhaps 20% of the book is devoted to the mission to get OBL. It provides great insight into the intelligence and planning, the preparation and finally the raid. The raid itself is a classic case study of why the Seal way of waging war works. Inserting into OBL's compound the helo looses control and crashes. The Seals are not were they are supposed to be. Yet they are able to continue the mission and succeed.

Yes, the author does disclose sensitive military information - that the administration has neutered much of their effectiveness through political correctness and excessive involvement of those who do not understand what they are doing or the need for real time decision making. There are warriors ready to do what's needed but suddenly required to make powerpoint presentations to attorneys who will decide the mission and make the rules. Beyond this it's hard to find anything of tactical or strategic value to those who would like to convert or kill us. It's apparent that the author left a lot out of the story of the bin Laden raid to avoid some specific areas.

Instead, the author takes us on a decade long involvement with the best of the best. If there is something disappointing about the book it is what the author does not say. More than a decade of service, 11 deployments, tens of thousands of hours of training and then it's time to leave. But there's no (zero) retirement benefits, no pension... nothing other than the skills and friendships he developed.

The book is also a great book on organizational culture. The absolute focus on competence and commitment to the team and an advancement process that focuses on merit. At the top of the pyramid the organized conditioning exercises disappear, those who have risen to this level can be trusted to organize their own physical conditioning. The team training never stops as each lesson learned is tested to see how it should modify the way they do things.

My guess is that over the next few years it will become clearer why certain things were included in the book.

This is a great read...........................

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever in their debt: Easy to Read - Couldn't Put It Down, September 13, 2012
I saw "Mark Owen" on 60 Minutes last Sunday and was duly impressed by his demeanor and humility. The book was an additional reflection of the same character. I am honored to be an American and call Mark and his buddies "brothers". I downloaded the Kindle version late last night and read until I couldn't keep my eye open. I finished the book today and have to tell you that the writing is excellent. The stories are so down to earth and their willingness to give their all for our country is heart warming. I am glad to know that there are plenty of dedicated, expertly trained, well-equipped warriors who are at the ready to respond and defend our constitutional freedoms.

Interesting to note: I knew there was a difference in training and skill between Seal Teams and wasn't sure if Team Six really existed. Now I understand BUD/s training makes you are Seal and earns you a Trident. Green Team is nine more months of rigorous training and learning to operate in the worst conditions with precision and skill. Being a Seal is no small honor, being a Team Six operator takes it up a few notches.

Only a certain breed can dare make those sacrifices and I for one thank God for such heroes. Thanks for all veterans of every stripe and level of service. I am proud of you and thank you again for your service.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Easy Review, September 6, 2012
Many of these reviews base their rating on the appropriateness of the book being written in the first place, how much a hero you regard the author to be, or the importance of the Bin Laden mission. This review is not one of those; it's a look at the book itself, in the context of similar books.

Before my review gets bashed, I'll preface by saying that I've read many SEAL and other SpecOps books and regard all of these guys as heroes who sacrificed much, sometime everything, to do a job for their country that mostly goes entirely unrecognized. But my opinions of a guy's heroics have little to do with the quality of his book.

This is not the first SEAL book to have been written, nor is it the first by a former Seal Team Six/DEVGRU member. After reading it, I would not put it among the top tier of those books. It suffers from what I see as a fatal attempt to balance several conflicting priorities in writing it. All of these have to do with deciding how much detail to include or exclude.

First, the security restrictions were an obvious (and oft-stated) concern of the author's, and, just as obviously, the cause of much of the ensuing controversy. In my opinion, the author erred on the side of being overly cautious when describing his missions, though not as much in the Bin Laden raid. The missions from his background are described in such generic terms that they could have conducted by any special ops personnel, anywhere. After reading many of them, I was left wondering why most of them were included in the first place. Yes, they were probably representative of his career, but most lacked drama in their telling and seemed perhaps overly breezy. The author clearly did not wish to get into too many operational details for running afoul of the security censors, but we're left without the insider-type details that are so rich in other accounts. It's the details that make a reader feel like he's really watching the boots on the ground, not just hearing a guy tell watered-down stories at the bar. The Maersk Alabama incident is a good example. The author was part of this high-profile mission, but the only new information we get was a small bit about the interrogation of the one captured pirate. The rest was already covered in open news sources. In my opinion, other (DOD-reviewed) books have gone into much greater detail, so I can't see what there is to complain about regarding security breaches.

Secondly, despite some of the uproar from the SPECOPS community, the author seems overly humble in his book. He comes across as the epitome of the "quiet professional" during his career. He lives for the job, for his teammates, and being the best SEAL he can be - for the team. It seems he advances through his accomplishments, not force of personality or politicking. He deliberately limits his career to stay in an operational capacity and on those ops, he's either leading by example, or just a well-functioning cog in the machine. But those impressions do him and the reader a disservice. We like old-school heroes and this guy clearly had the "right stuff" but he'll never come out and say it. He spends too little time being introspective about his role in the SEAL's successes and has an almost apologetic tone when including himself at all. I really would have liked to get to know the guy better in his book, other than his penchant for telling bad jokes and his case of OCD.

Thirdly, the book seems to be aimed at as broad of an audience as possible. This is probably had as much to do with the lack of details as the security issues. Either the author, co-author, or publisher seemed afraid to let the minute details into the book that give it the real air of verisimilitude. Every once in a while we might get a brand name for a knife or his boots, but otherwise very little. Some may argue that those details bog down the narrative, but the typical reader of military memoirs lives for that kind of stuff. It's what allows the reader to live vicariously through the author's eyes. Without those, the book could well have just been written by an informed journalist (such as the co-author), rather than a guy who lived and breathed this stuff for a decade, and for whom details were everything. Might that have turned off some of the mass audience who were otherwise drawn in by the Bin Laden angle? Probably so, which is unfortunate.

Finally, the biggest draw of the book was of course the Bin Laden raid (or UBL, as the book puts it). The book clearly struggles to balance how much of the author's career to include as preface to the climactic raid. In my opinion, there was not enough of the former. Yes, many books have covered BUD/S training that sailors go through to become a SEAL, but each man's experience there was unique. The author gave his time there the short shrift. In other SEAL books, that time was critical to finding out what really motivated a man and what his strengths and weaknesses were. In the author's case, he pithily describes his motivation as just getting to the next meal, a fear of failure, and always wanting to be a SEAL. We get no sense of where he struggled or succeeded, other than a few mentions of his marksmanship. Once he gets into his missions, many of them seem to be more typical recollections than really critical moments in his career. That may be because they were breezily told so they lacked weight or significance beyond their military value. It felt like prelude to the "good stuff" at the end, so I found myself hurrying to read through much of it, not because those sections were so grippingly told, but because I felt like I was waiting for the real story to start. In the best of this type of book, I find myself racing to get to the end of a chapter to find out what happened in each mission. Again, the first decade of his career (the UBL raid essentially ended it) felt unfairly glossed over at the expense of the UBL raid. I guess that was to be expected given the title.

I came into the book with high expectations from reading similar titles, but these unbalanced priorities left me wanting more from all of the parts up to the Bin Laden mission. Once he hits that part, though, things really took off. The mission was told in much more detail than earlier operations, so you began to feel like you were down in the weeds with the SEALs. The narrative was told suspensefully and with details that we haven't seen or heard before. Those details, incidentally, became the focus of the security uproar, but seem to actually give little away in terms of tactics or operationally-sensitive information. It seems more that the details differed from the official narrative and were thus uncomfortable for some in Washington. I doubt many terrorists are gaining new insights from facts like the SEALs no longer land on top of a target, that they use military dogs, or have $65,000 night vision goggles.

The Osama Bin Laden mission saves this book from being a (relatively) unremarkable entry in the genre of special operations memoirs. The mission itself is a draw, regardless of how it's told, but the author manages to tell a great story about it. It's unfortunate that a confluence of other factors weakened the earlier parts of the narrative. Given the title, I suppose I should expect the non-UBL-related parts to be de-emphasized. I'm sure many lay readers will enjoy it and not notice what I found lacking, but the typical informed readership, I feel, is going to be disappointed. I gave the book 3 stars because the first half (or more) was a letdown, while the end was outstanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars This isn't a review based on what I heard from others, September 8, 2012
montanaman (Helena, Montana) - See all my reviews
The reason that I titled my review as such, is because I can't believe some of the negative reviews because the author supposedly had an ax to grind with the President. There were about 2 1/2 paragraphs critical of the President. There were about the same number that were complimentary towards the President. There was much more time and space dedicated to the author's opinion that both parties should be ashamed of using this mission for their own behalf politically. The rest of the book was about the author's career as a SEAL. Of course, the highlight is certainly his version of the mission that captured OBL. I felt the book wasn't poorly written, but there were a few editorial errors on the kindle version. My recommendation is to read the book and make the decision yourself. I was able to finish it entirely in about six hours.

Rate and Discover Movies