Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2012 10:13:19 AM PDT
I was wondering how much this is going to task my connection. I have a 10Mps connection (usually runs 4-6Mps with speed test) and will have 3 of my friends comming over to play on the 16th. With no LAN option should I expect much lag. I understand the DRM but why not enable LAN play with loot and DRM controlled by Blizz so my network is not so tasked?

Posted on May 9, 2012 11:34:37 AM PDT
From what I've read and heard this game is quite eh 'light' and should not give any problems on that setup. And things in the game are being controlled by the servers of Blizzard its not just a DRM online only thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:49:17 AM PDT
Awsome, thx. Well here is hoping servers can take opening day load!

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:14:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 12:16:06 PM PDT
Niice

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:30:43 PM PDT
A. Pielaet says:
I've ran the beta on a 8mps, 15mps, and 30mps connection. I didn't have problems until 3 people were trying to play all at once on the 8mps line. I've also heard it said that the game can be played on a tethered 3G connection, with little to no lag except during really mob intense areas.

The reasoning behind not allowing LAN and offline play is because by using a client-server architecture, and keeping much of the code server-side, instead of client-side, the code is encrypted and not public, which makes hacking and duping much more difficult. They don't want the game ruined by botters and spammers and such like the previous games, and this is a great step in that direction. I just wish you could log into battle.net as invisible if you wanted some super-happy-fun-diablo-time alone...

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:57:11 PM PDT
Well you can play alone if you want to. You have some options when you create a game.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 1:31:18 PM PDT
A. Pielaet says:
Playing alone is different than playing in "appear offline" or "invisible" mode... People can always see that I'm on, they can always see if I'm in the menus or if I'm doing this quest or that. It's not such a big deal for me, but I can understand how people would like a little privacy every now and then, blast some tunes and kill some baddies without being troubled by that guy steve from work or whoever else might be a bit nosey...

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 5:11:06 AM PDT
Google battle.net invisible. Havent read it myself, but did see someone post a way to sign in and set yourself so no one can tell your online. Dont kill me if it doesnt work, as all I really remember seeing was a forum post title on the D3 forums I believe.

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:13:54 PM PDT
I was just thinking it would be nice for DMG and toon placement to be controlled on my LAN but still just be connected to the DRM and loot drop on the servers to cut down on lag. Just seems like they could have cut down the bandwidth requirement ALOT.

Posted on May 11, 2012 12:15:33 AM PDT
kaori says:
Bandwidth shouldnt be an issue, uses a lot less, if you guys were play WoW, now Wow actually uses
quite a bit. Ah anyway, I REALLY HATE THEY DIDNT ADD LAN FEATURE. There will probably be a ways around it as usual, people always find a way.

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:56:46 PM PDT
Spaxspore says:
preordered this game and torchlight 2. Torchlight 2 has LAN fyi.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Diablo III - PC/Mac forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  May 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III - PC/Mac
Diablo III - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X Intel, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.4 out of 5 stars   (3,709)