5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most underated WW2 films of all time!
Published on April 19, 2004 by Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Botched widescreen DVD makes flat VHS version preferable
A side by side comparison of both the DVD and VHS versions shows the DVD to contain no additional video information at the sides of the frame. That means that the DVD image has been matted to a 1:1:185 ratio that crops important signs, not to mention the breathtaking image of Jeffrey Hunter.

MCA-Universal has insisted on transferring every...
Published on September 8, 2004 by Alan A. Pereira

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most underated WW2 films of all time!, April 19, 2004
Dave (Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)
I'm so glad this classic is finally getting a dvd release! While it doesn't have the large-scale battle scenes of The Longest Day, it nevertheless remains one of my all-time favorite WW2 films. Jeffrey Hunter gives one of his best performances as George Tweed, a U.S. Navy sailor trapped on the island of Guam after the Japanese invade in Dec. 1941. There are four other sailors with him, but they are killed off one by one until only Tweed is left to fend for himself. That is, until he discovers the friendly natives, who continually risk their lives (& in some cases give their lives)to protect him from the Japanese occupation troops. He is continually on the move, however, because the Japanese are always trying to catch him. I won't give away the ending, but I will say that this is one of the best WW2 films you'll ever see!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic PAcific-war..., January 12, 2004
patrick (Melbourne Australia) - See all my reviews
Havent seen it for years, sadly, although 'Hell to Eternity' with Jeffrey Hunter is a fairly-frequent TV re-run, 'No man is an Island' seems forgotten. Seen it at a drive-in as a child, scenes which stick in memory were the early part of the movie the shock of the first Japanese attack on Guam, some of his friends killed in Japanese strafing, his remaining friends being killed off one by one as they flee the victorious Japanese, one shot by a Japanese in a million-to-one shot while hiding in a straw-covered cart, another stung by a scorpion, till just the main Jeffrey Hunter character(Tweed , I gather from the other reviews) remains, to stay at large and harass the Japanese as well: the printing-press spreading encouraging-news of the US fighting back with the Dooloittle-raid, the Japanese smelling the news-pamphletts and declaring "ether-Hospital!"(ooops, they are onto them!)
the sword-wielding officer he and the brave Filipinos poison and cover-up, his body dumped on a beach and eaten by crabs,lol, and the final rescue by the US destroyer he warns and saves from the Japanese gun-emplacement on the island.( and the destroyer's sailors racial epithets which dont sit well with this man who has lived and fought for 2 or 3 years with these America-loyal people)
Pacific-war fans dont get the run of films that were made about the German war, but this is one Id put in any selection of top-5 faves. Has 'atmosphere' and good moments, is just entertaining yarn.As an Australian, I always was particularly interested in the WW2 Japanese and these Pacific campaigns, to this day. Good story, and Hunter did a few Pacific-war movies.Classical genre, and above-average.

2.0 out of 5 stars Botched widescreen DVD makes flat VHS version preferable, September 8, 2004
Alan A. Pereira (superior, co United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)

MCA-Universal has insisted on transferring every non-Cinemacope/Panavision movie from the 60s to 1:1:185, including the Doris Day/Rock Hudson comedies, which had their precise aspect ratios preserved intact in their laserdisc releases.

Audiences havn't been fooled by MCA-Universal's misguided widescreen transfers on DVD. The out-of-print VHS version of No Man is an Island sells for infinitely more than the low-priced DVD.

MCA-Universal, get your act together. At least try to achieve the conscientious standard set during the laserdisc period.

4.0 out of 5 stars NO MAN IS AN ISLAND,A REVIEW, April 11, 2001
THIS IS A STORY ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER GEORGE R.TWEED NAVY WORLD WAR 2 HERO.HE SAVED OVER 100 PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND OF GUAM.I RECENTLY JUST GOT A A INTERNET AND FOUND NOT ONLY THIS COMING OUT ON VIDEO ON V.H.S.-HOPEFULLY SOON ON D.V.D.ME AND MY FATHER ROBERT R.TWEED FOUND ALSO WEBSITES ON ROBISON CRUSOE U.S.N.-BLAKE CLARK I LIKE THE FACT OF THE REVIEWS OF THIS MOVIE PORTAYING THE ACTUAL HISTORY OF WHAT IT MUST OF BEEN LIKE FOR HIM DURING WORLD WAR 2.I LIKE ALSO THE FACT THAT THIS MOVIE IS COMING OUT MAY 15,2001.WITH PEARL HARBOR COMING OUT ON MAY 23.2001.I CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM BOTH TOGETHER ON VIDEO SHELVES.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad Points, April 6, 2013
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)
This is a great film in spirit, but sadly, the people of Guam historically do not speak Filipino, which is the language that they are portrayed as speaking in the film. The film credits at the end of the film said it was filmed in the Philipines, so that probably explains the odd combination of language. Ignoring the language issue, the film itself is great, and I can't help but wonder what sort of career that jeffrey hunter would have had if he had not died so prematurely.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Man is an Island, April 1, 2011
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)
This an exciting an intriguing picture with a WWII theme. Stranded on Guam when the Japanese were taking over the island from the US. He managed to survive and fight the invaders with the aid of a little help. The is excellent protrayal. (Unforunately Jeff Hunter, the star, did not live long enough to make more pictures displaying his acting talents). My oldest and closest friend had a similar experience when his destroyer was sunk off of Leyte and he was stranded until rescued by the Filipinos with whom he fought the Japanese until liberation. He felt that it accurately protrayed what happened when he saw just after the picture was first released.

5.0 out of 5 stars No man is an Island, November 26, 2011
One of my favorite war movies,I loved Jeffery Hunter,have all his war movies.An the service I got was wonderfull an it plays great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeffrey Hunter was a very fine actor, April 11, 2011
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)
I was a fan of Jeffrey Hunter when he starred in the movie, "King Of Kings". I also saw "No Man Is An Island" years ago and decided that I wanted to have it in my DVD Library. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you like true stories of WWII.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie..., April 15, 2010
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)
I have always enjoyed this movie; now I have my own copy. Jeffrey Hunter gives as excellent performance and we lost his acting abilities much too soon with his young death. I especially like the whole theme; we do NOT live in this world by ourselves. We CANNOT survive alone. I guess that is why the "reality" shows really are not a good source of entertainment for me. I love and appreciate my fellow "man"...

5.0 out of 5 stars best movie, February 20, 2010
This review is from: No Man Is an Island (DVD)
I absolutely LOVE this movie!! My dad showed it to me a few years ago, and I admit I thought that I would not like it but now it is on my top 5 favorite movie list!! I love this movie so much, and Jeffery Hunter is a great in this movie!!

No Man Is an Island
No Man Is an Island by Jr. John Monks (DVD - 2004)
$14.98 $10.28