Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on May 7, 2007
I originally purchased this book through my son's Scholastic book order. When it got ruined we needed a replacement since it was one of his favorite books. The version we recieved is very different from the one available through the Scholastic market. The text isn't the same. The version i recieved through Amazon is great for a child who has lost a parent or loved one...but not for my purpose. The words changed from "What about when you're far away..." to "What about when you're dead and gone". We have since located the Scholastic version...but be aware of the differences when you purchase this book.
on February 26, 2005
Although this book smacks of the same ideas behind the books "I'll Love You Forever," "The Runaway Bunny," and "Guess How Much I Love You," it's a heartwarming favorite nevertheless.

"No Matter What" is about a little fox endearingly named "Small" and his mother, "Large." Small is very grumpy as he's getting ready for bed, and he can't understand how his mother could love him when he's acting this way. He questions whether she would love him even if he were a different animal or lived far away. His mother ensures Small that she would love him "no matter what." The book "No Matter What" may be based on a trite plot/concept, but at least it's one worth repeating.

The illustrations in this book do more than simply reinforce the text, for the text is simple and and abstract in some places, particularly toward the end of the book. The illustrations give concrete images to the abstract concept of love, while providing humorous details and asides. The pull-toy that Small breaks, for example, becomes mended on the page where Small asks if love can be fixed or patched. Circular lines provide a unifying motif throughout the work's illustrations, and the bright colors lend to the book a feeling of warmth.

I recommend this book. The illustrations and rhythmic text, in particular, are delightful. The only drawback I noticed was the slight breakdown in voice toward the end of the book, where the text drifts into the abstract concept of love. But at that critical shift in text, the illustrations remain compelling, and thus, so does the book.
on October 15, 1999
Possibly the only children's book that has moved me to tears (well, for quite a long time!)- deeply reassuring for "older children" like me as well as younger readers. Beautifuly illustrated, and a bonus of visual "did you spot thems?" to keep adults entertained through a gadzillion repeat readings....
on October 2, 1999
"No Matter What" has a very simple message, but one that every parent needs to reinforce to their children. That their love is unconditional. Debi Gliori's illustrations are warm, vibrant and beautiful. This book is a keeper, and a great gift item.
on May 4, 2015
Annoyed, because the ending of this book is different from the one I brought my sons up with. Beware, there are TWO different texts, the UK and the US versions. The US version ends on a completely anodyne note, the UK one teaches life lessons.
Small asks: " What about when you're dead and gone ?" Large takes Small outside and says " See the stars, how they shine and glow ? Well some of those stars died a long time ago, but still they shine in the evening sky, because love, like starlight, never dies"

I actually bought this for the children of friends who'd lost their grandparents. I wanted the correct ending !~!!
on October 4, 1999
This lovely picture book is charming for both children and adults. As a children's librarian, I am always looking for books parents and children can enjoy together. this story, about a parent reassuring a child that love will endure no matter if the child were an alligator or any other creepy thing, touched the heart, and will reassure young listeners. I heartily reccomend it!
on July 18, 2000
The guidelines at the top indicate 4-6 years old but my 2 year old loves it. And I love reading it to her. The message makes me feel good but the illustrations are the clincher - we both love looking at it. A great edition to your child's library and a great gift item!
on July 16, 2015
Was not informed that this was an abridged and highly edited version of the original...I read this book to my children when they were young and we got it for a friend and when I read it for old times sake saw it was changed a lot...It is not an issue to use the line "But what about when you are dead and gone? Will you love me then does love go on" That line is not there, and it actually changes the content as well as true meaning of the book, using the word "Dead" in a childrens book does not hurt the child, it actually helps them to grow and understand the entire cycle of life...very upset at the editing!
on December 26, 2015
I got this book to help my son understand that even though he's in a rambunctious phase where he seems to be grumpy more often than not, I want him to know that we all love him no matter what. He loves the story and the pictures are suitably silly enough to get a smile out of him. It's so important to teach our children that love is not conditional especially when they misbehave or have feelings that are too big for their tiny bodies.
on December 20, 2000
An excellent book for all ages. My 1st copy was bought to send to my 22yr old son. He is in the Navy and stationed away from home. 'No matter What', let him know unconditionally that he is always in my heart, loved 'No matter What'. He called and told me the book was like being home with us, especially as he had just come home from the Mediteranean Sea Area. (He serves aboard the USS Cole) Thankfully he was not injured. We are in the process of ordering copies for the rest of our children. Ages 19,14 & 5. Everyone young and old should have a copy for themselves. The story line is easily followed by all ages and the illustarations just add to the enjoyment of the book. My youngest will recite the story using the pictures alone. Thank You for a great story.