5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome home, Mercy
Published on January 7, 2010 by Terri Doughty

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok
Mercy Gunderson has returned home to her family's ranch in South Dakota. She receives quite the welcome home when a dead body is found on the ranch. The body is a relative. It seems no one really has an interest or they aren't speaking up about the body. It is up to Mercy to find out why there is a dead body on her ranch. It is going to be a shoot um up time...
Published on February 28, 2010 by Cheryl Koch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome home, Mercy, January 7, 2010
Terri Doughty (Lexington Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
Mercy Gunderson is one of the few female Army snipers. Officially, they don't exist but unofficially, women can get into some hot spot better than men. Mercy's been into more than she'd care to admit. Currently, she's on leave at her family's ranch in South Dakota. Her father recently died and she's the executor of his estate. Her remaining family is her sister, Holly and her nephew, Levi.

Bad things are happening in Mercy's little county though. A friend of Levi's is found dead on her ranch. Levi seems to be having problems. Holly has a new boyfriend that Mercy just doesn't feel right about. Rumors of some kind of club on the reservation have people concerned, as do the new people that bought the ranch nearby.

Mercy has her own problems though. Besides not being able to decide if she should sell the ranch, she has medical problems from her last mission. She has the time in the military to retire but she doesn't know if she wants to. If she stays in though, she'll never be able to do the job she's been doing. She'll be forced into a desk job or a training position.

Mason Dawson was appointed acting sheriff by Mercy's father before he died. He plans on running for sheriff but right now Mercy doesn't see what he's doing to investigate the death of Levi's friend. She's not too sure she trusts him either but he is good to look at!

You can't just ease into this story, it comes at you fast and hard with a teenage death in the first few pages. This hard punching story doesn't slow down or quit from start to finish. It's fast paced with lots going on giving the reader a lot to ponder as you try to figure out who's behind all the things happening.

Mercy is not a sweet bit of fluff or even a typical ranch girl. She's hard because she's had to be. She also has standards and a code she lives by. She cares deeply for her family so don't even think to hurt them or Mercy will go hunting. She's a complex character that has so many facets that it would take a lifetime to figure her out. The military left it's mark and that mark helps make up who Mercy will become.

One of the best assets of this book are the descriptions. Ms Armstrong does an outstanding job describing the characters but her descriptions of the land, buildings and community are exceptional. I've never been to South Dakota yet I could visualize the landscape as Mercy traveled along the county roads. Buildings weren't pristine; some needed paint, derelict or just barely together while others were well loved. With just a few words, this part of country came alive.

I didn't want to put this book down. Though I was fairly sure early on I knew who the murder was, I felt driven to see how Mercy would get him and what would happen next. Well, I should have known that an award winning author would have some twists and turns up her sleeve and the answer wouldn't be as easy as I thought. Her ending was much better than I could have ever imagined.

Now, that I've been introduced to Mercy, I want more. It looks to me like life is going to get interesting in that part of the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride!, January 20, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic! I honestly didn't want to put it down--for anything! I've read Lori Armstrong books before, so I knew that I'd have to set aside a day with no interruptions for this book. I didn't realize I wouldn't want to eat, sleep, or go to the bathroom until I finished it.

From start to finish, my attention was held in Mercy's grip and long after I finished the book, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Now I can't wait for the next one to come out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, January 31, 2010
suzatm (PA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
I have liked all of Lori Armstrong's books. I knew when I picked up No Mercy I would have a good read, but this book far exceeded my expectations. This book grabbed you from the beginning and didn't let go even after you read the last page. This author knows how to wring out every emotion there is to feel! The other reviewers have given a recap of the story line - but all I wanted to say is - don't miss this! Hopefully this is the start of another good series. If it's not - I will read and recommend anything this author writes. Excellent book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, February 28, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)

No Mercy is book one in a new series by author, Lori Armstrong. This is the first book I have read by this author. I liked Mercy. She had a take charge attitude and was deadly as well as dangerous with a gun. She is like a modern day wild, west sheriff trying to take down the bad guys. Though I liked this story, I wished that I felt more of a connection with the rest of the characters. This would have helped me have more of an interest in why Mercy was fighting for justice and doing the things she was doing. Overall, I still thought this was a pretty good book and I would check out more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Characters, Strong Story, Great Combination!, April 20, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
Author Lori Armstrong begins a new series with a strong female in the lead. Mercy Gunderson has returned to her South Dakota ranch while on medical leave from the Army. While she finds the ranch in good shape after the death of her Sheriff/Rancher father, the community is not doing as well. Soon after her arrival, a body of a young Native American boy is found on her ranch. When she thinks the new sheriff is not doing enough to track down the killer, Mercy decides to start her own investigation.

When her own nephew is found slaughtered, she pulls all of her Army skills together and goes on the hunt. The deeper she gets into the case, the more evil she finds. Combating racism, sexism, and her own mental and physical problems, Mercy has a huge challenge before her as she works to avenge her nephews death, oversee her sister's troubles, and save the ranch from land-grabbers.

Ms. Armstrong has created a character with enough flaws to impress any reader, and yet Mercy comes across as vulnerable as well. The author has developed her main characters with a depth that causes the reader to care what happens. It is easy to get drawn into this fast-paced, riveting story in such a way that we wish we could jump in and help Mercy out, on her good days and bad.

This is a strong story for women although men will enjoy it as well. It is a harsh story about a life many of us cannot imagine. That said, I haven't read this good of a western in a long time. I was hooked immediately, and had trouble setting the book down for even a short time.

This new Armstrong reader is definitely looking forward to more stories about Mercy Gunderson, our newest PI.

No Mercy: A Mystery

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to read a "cozy" this isn't for you., February 3, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
I usually read mysteries/crime books that are humorous or are classified as a cozy. No Mercy is neither. This book deals with multiple cold realities of life and Mercy and her family have had few good breaks in life. I can't say that I fell in love with the main character, Mercy, but I do respect her and I was turning pages to see how and what she did next. This deals with a complex main character and ghosts of her childhood.

This is an intelligent read. It moves along and there are several very painful scenes. I cried when a teenager was found murdered. Be prepared this read is not for those of us who like to escape and chuckle. Since finishing the book, I have found myself reflecting on the story and Mercy.

I look forward to what I hope will be another book because I am pulling for Mercy as she deals with her immersion into civilian life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't mess with Mercy Gunderson!, January 31, 2010
John Daley (Attica, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
I had never even heard of Lori Armstrong until I picked up this book. All I can is WOW!
The plot is fairly straight forward. There have been two murders on the Gunderson ranch, one a family member. Mercy Gunderson is newly returned soldier. She returns to the ranch shortly after her father dies. She is the executor of his will. So she has to decided what to do with the ranch, and how to handle her troubled younger sister. And since the sheriff doesn't seem to be to interested in solving the murders, Mercy decides to do it herself

The best part of the book is the character of Mercy Gunderson. Andrews has done a fantastic job developing her into a three dimensional character. She is incredibly tough, very troubled and underneath very volunerable.

Anyway, this is a fantastic thriller!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished in a day!!, January 31, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
Lori Armstrong has written another engaging book, another strong, complex heroine. I especially enjoyed that the book is written in the first person. You don't get to know what everyone else is thinking, feeling, planning...you have to wait to see it unfold as Mercy does.

I also appreciated that though this story came to an end, the author leaves threads open that can evolve into new storylines. Bring 'em on!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I will not read this author again, February 24, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
Not if I want to get any sleep.

This is my first Lori Armstrong book, and it will not be my last. The plot has already been rehashed, so I'll just leave you with my impressions. I loved Mercy. She was tough, closed off emotionally, but very vulnerable. I hate the description of 'kick ass heroine', but that definitely is appropriate here. I appreciate her imperfections,strength, and flat out determination.

Lori's description of the desolate landscape that Mercy both loves and hates, and portrayal of reservation poverty put me as a reader in the middle of the story both physically and emotionally.

What attracted me to the story was the premise of a female sniper, and her bouts with PTSD. I applaud the author tackling Mercy's post war emotions without beating us over the head with it. Oh, and did I mention the sheriff? Makes a girl want to go commit a crime.

I can't wait to read more about Mercy and the goings on in her corner of the world, and this author's backlist will be in my kindle without delay.

Thanks Lori, for a great read and a sleepless night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercy is my new hero, March 4, 2010
This review is from: No Mercy: A Mystery (Hardcover)
Lori Armstrong's new mystery is red hot. The actual mystery of dead bodies turning up on Mercy Gunderson's ranch is interesting but it is the complex character of Mercy herself who is riveting.

Mercy is a very tough lady, but Ms. Armstrong is not afraid to show her vulnerability and her awkwardness in coping with major lifestyle changes. It is this transition from closed off solider to new civilian during the course of the book that draws you in and really makes you care about Mercy Gunderson. You aren't always sure she'll make it, but you can't help rooting for her and you have to admire the way she totally kicks ass on people who hurt her family. The other characters are equally complex, if not so finely drawn, and by the end of the novel I was enthralled and anxiously awaiting the next installment of Mercy Gunderson.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

No Mercy: A Mercy Gunderson Mystery
No Mercy: A Mercy Gunderson Mystery by Lori G. Armstrong (Mass Market Paperback - November 30, 2010)
$7.99