5.0 out of 5 stars "Can You Say Mr. Tinkertrain?" Yes, Actually....
No More Tears(1991). Ozzy Osbourne's Ninth Album.
Published on June 27, 2004 by Will Culp

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his previous work
If you have been following Ozzy's carrer from Blizzard Of Ozz up to No Rest For The Wicked, you'll be sort of disappointed with this material. The whole album has a very commercial, poppish approach, sometimes it even sounds like it tries to catch up with the new trends stablished by the music industry. Perhaps the track called Road To Nowhere is the finest song in the...
Published on May 6, 2004 by Diogo Schneider

5.0 out of 5 stars "Can You Say Mr. Tinkertrain?" Yes, Actually...., June 27, 2004
Will Culp (Greenville, South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
No More Tears(1991). Ozzy Osbourne's Ninth Album.
Around the time Grunge was ruling the charts with Nirvana's Nevermind and Pearl Jam's Ten, seemingly Washed-up Metal God Ozzy Osbourne broke on to the scene, releasing No More Tears, often regarded as one of his best albums, commercially and critically. After the single "Mama I'm Coming Home" claimed the #21 spot on the Billboard Top 40(Ozzy's only Top 40 hit!), No More Tears soon after rode up the charts, claiming a Top 10 spot, reaching #7, and soon after No More Tears was certified Platinum. Ozzy even earned a Grammy for "Best Metal Performance" for the song "I Don't Want To Change The World", and it is the only Grammy he ever received!To this day, the songs "No More Tears", "Mama I'm Coming Home", and "I Don't Want To Change The World" receive radio airplay quite often! Teaming up with Lemmy Kilstener of Motorhead, who wrote 4 of No More Tears tracks, future Alice In Chains Bassist Mike Inez, and the Rightful Heir To Randy Rhoads Throne, Zakk Wylde, No More Tears stands as one of Ozzy's strongest albums, and you can read on to find out why!
Track Reviews-
Mr. Tinkertrain- A song about child abuse, this stands as one of Ozzy's darkest! This songs starts off eerily, with a Music Box playing behind kid's shouts, but soon after Wylde's guitar sweeps in, and Ozzy's sarcastic vocals take center-stage. Wylde and Ozzy are in top-form here, and this is one of No More Tears best songs. The intermission is to die for here!
I Don't Want To Change The World- Wylde's sludgy riff defines the song, with Ozzy's searing vocals behind it making a perfect relationship. Wylde's bluesy solo is one of his best here! Straight-Up Metal Rocker!
Mama I'm Coming Home- Ozzy's best ballad! The soulful Acoustic Guitar behind Ozzy's soulsearching vocals work really well, and you feel compelled to pull out your lighter for this one. The chorus, although a little gospel-y, is one of Ozzy's most memorable!
Desire- Desire is a Heavy Metal rocker in the vein of Alice in Chains, with Wylde's riff slowly building up to Ozzy's vocals, which truly shine in the chorus, where he mixes his voice with Wylde's guitar perfectly. The Alarm Siren and the Demonic Laugh really add to this song, and build up to the wicked solo!
No More Tears- One of my favorite songs, clocking in at over 7 minutes this is truly the album's highlight. Inez's Bass Line and a slow Synth Line start us off, but soon after Ozzy's sarcastic vocals tell the story of Serial Murder like only he can. Wylde is in top-form here, and some of his best work is on this song. GREAT INTERMISSION!
Sin- Don't be fooled by the bluesy solo at the beginning, this is one of No More Tears hardest! A Lightning fast riff from Wylde and equally fast vocals from Ozzy only simmer down in the chorus, a melodic interlude to very Hard Rock!
Hellraiser- Hard Rock at it's finest, Hellraiser is surprisingly slow(As the title might not have suggested), mainly focusing on the chorus, which is sung very soulfully from Ozzy! Wylde is still in top-form here though!
Time After Time- Another slow song, Time After Time reminds us all of Sweet Memories from Long Ago.. Ozzy's vocals are top-notch here, and he sings with an unmistakable flair only he can have. Wylde's heart-piercing guitar riff only adds to Time After Time's depth.
Zombie Stomp- Builds up slowly, with a slow bass line from Inez eventually giving way to Ozzy's vocals, which steal the show, but nonetheless Wylde is in top-form. Ironically this sounds a little like White Zombie, and that's a good thing!
A.V.H.- Starts off with an Off-Tune guitar, but Wylde's guitar swoops in, giving way to Ozzy's vocals, that are at times dark and light! Heavy Metal at it's best, AVH is a Hard Rocker mixed with a Ballad!
Road To Nowhere- Wylde's heart-wringing riff and Ozzy's beautiful vocals make this one of the strongest tracks, and a close second to "Mama I'm Coming Home" for the best ballad! Great!
Extra Tracks-
Don't Blame Me(B-Side to the "Mama I'm Coming Home" single)- Don't Skip this track! One of the catchiest songs, you might find yourself humming right along with Ozzy to the chorus! Almost sounds like "I Don't Know", and that's a good thing!
Party With The Animals(Featured on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer Soundtrack)- Once again, don't skip this song! One of my personal favorites, Wylde's riff and Ozzy's vocals will have you banging your head away! Metal at it's best, Party With The Animals ends No More Tears the perfect way! The chorus is great!
Overall, No More Tears deserves 5 Stars all the ways, and I found NOT ONE WEAK Track! The Bonus Tracks only add to this little gem, and along with Diary and Blizzard, this is one of Ozzy's best! NOT TO BE MISSED!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! FANS OF ROCK, METAL, GRUNGE, AND PEOPLE GETTING INTO OZZY SHOULD DEFINITELY PICK UP NO MORE TEARS, AND I HIGHLY DOUBT YOU'LL BE DISAPPOINTED! OZZY'S LAST GREAT EFFORT!
Also Recommended-
Dirt- Alice In Chains
Blizzard of Ozz- Ozzy Osbourne
Holy Diver- Dio
Thanks For Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy Osbourne - We salute you, March 25, 2006
W87 (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
This is the best Ozzy album. Ever. Superb lyrics (some of which were co-wrote with Lemmy), and brilliant, chunky riffs, replete with squeals. I Don't Wanna Change The World, Mama I'm Comin Home, Desire, Time After Time, Road to Nowhere - these are songs that clearly exert real meaning, for both Ozzy and for the listener. Listen to this album when you're going through hard times, you'll see what I mean.

I don't like Black Label Society much, nor Wylde's love of biker gangs and beards. But this is the album that answers why he is considered one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time.

Personally I find the production ok - it has dated quite a bit (but hasn't everything?) - You can hardly blame them for trying to make an album that catered to listeners tastes at the time.

(And to those people who say Ozzy went commercial here - what do you call 'The Osbournes'???).

In fact, this is not only Ozzy's best, but one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, the best since Randy Rhoads., August 20, 2000
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
Since Randy Rhoads died, all Ozzy albums seem to have had that specter of Randy hovering over them, and they just didn't live up to his work, no matter how good they are. I think that with No More Tears, Ozzy has reached a turning point. The opening track, Mr. Tinkertrain, is a 5:55 straight up rock song, and it's a hell of a tune. I Don't Want to Change the World is great, it's got a real live vibe, meaningful lyrics and he won a Grammy for it to boot. Ozzy showcases some of his versatility on the ballads Mama I'm Coming Home, and Road to Nowhere. The title track, at 7:23, is nothing short of epic, and is an excellent song.
I'll confess that the real reason I bought this album was the fact that on the Ozzman Cometh, No More Tears was edited, and that intrigued me. So I found out. But in the process I loved the album. This is an excellent addition to any Ozzy fans collection. Happy headbanging!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy Osbourne - His Last Great One, December 14, 2010
Steven Sly (Kalamazoo, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
To my ears Ozzy Osborne has made 3 classic metal albums in his long solo career. His first two "Blizzard Of Oz" and "Diary Of A Madman" in the early 80's secured his comeback from being kicked out of Black Sabbath. His later 80's albums were hit and miss, but 1991's "No More Tears" would prove to be one of the best of his career. Listening to this album again, most of it sounds really fresh 20 years later and not nearly as dated as some of it's peers. The album opens with one of Ozzy creepiest characters in "Mr. Tinkertrain" that features some great guitar from Zack Wylde and just enough keyboards to keep it interesting. The album spawned a bunch of tracks featured on rock radio at the time, all of them good, including "Mama I'm Coming Home", "No More Tears", and "Road To Nowhere". Elsewhere tracks like "I Don't Want To Change The World", "Hellraiser" (A Motorhead cover) and "A.V.H." help to round out the rest of the disc. Some criticize the use of outside songwriters on this one (Lemmy from Motorhead Co-wrote 4 tracks), but Ozzy has always collaborated, so to me it is not that big a deal. "Tears" is Ozzy's last truly great album in my opinion and still holds up really well today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy proves his genius yet again, April 21, 2006
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
I'll never fully comprehend why it is that artists put out their best material - whether writing, music, films, art, poetry - during the most depressing times in their lives. ("No More Tears" was made when Ozzy was beset by legal and personal problems.)

It was interesting reading the note on the back of the remastered version (with the two extra tracks, "Don't Blame Me" and "Party With the Animals") that Ozzy "...plays this album all the time and I still think it sounds really good." I can't help but agree.

I popped this in the CD player and didn't realize the time until I looked at the playlist and saw it was nearing the end. I found myself singing aloud and just enjoying the rich sounds that came out of the CD. (I was also surprised to see that I remembered the words after all these years!)

I enjoyed "No More Tears" when it was first released in 1991 as a teenager and I enjoy it just as much today as a 30 year-old. Two particular tracks that haven't gotten as much attention as others that I really enjoy are "Hellraiser" and "A.V.H." Check them out.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with a previous reviewer in that this was Ozzy's last really good album. This is chock full of strong, original material. His later works weren't up to par with "No More Tears" and "No Rest for the Wicked" and, in recent years, he's been living off the residual effect of his MTV reality series "The Osbournes." Through that, he became part of the Establishment with the same people who crucified and vilified him in the past now kissing his derriere (I'm so "old" I remember when I was labeled a "devil worshipper" in grade school for liking him. I'd bet those same people have jumped on his bandwagon today).

In any case, I'll always love Ozzy and cherish his contributions to music (and his love of my beloved Beatles).

Rock and roll forever! - Donna Di Giacomo

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy at His Best, September 7, 2004
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
Ozzy has had more successful comebacks than anyone else in the music business. After being fired from Black Sabbath, he released "Blizzard of Ozz," one of the most influencial albums of all time. He then plunged into depression after his guitarist and best friend Randy Rhoads died in a plane crash, but came back with the decent "Bark at the Moon." He then released the terrible "Original Sin" and although it was an improvement over the previous album, "No Rest for the Wicked" was pretty weak too. "No More Tears" brought Ozzy back into the mainstream, and it was one of his best albums of all time.

1. Mr. Tinkertrain 10/10- The perfect song to let everyone know that Ozzy was back, and a great opening song. Great riffs and vocals, as well an amazing solo by Wylde make this outstanding.

2. I Don't Wanna Change the World 9/10- Great riff and solo make this song worthwhile. Check out the live version, it's even better (and it got Ozzy a Grammy!).

3. Mama, I'm Coming Home 10/10- Ozzy biggest hit is very well written and has great lyrics. My favorite part is the chorus with "Mama.... I'm coming hooooome;" Ozzy and the backing vocalists sound great.

4. Desire 5/10- One of the singles, is forgettable at best. Nothing really special about it, not even the solo.

5. No More Tears 10/10- Ozzy's best song of all time and one of my personal favorites. Haunting bass and keyboards start this out and show up again in the middle right before it gives way to Wylde's best solo ever. If you have only heard the edited radio version you are missing out on alot.

6. S.I.N. 10/10- I still can't figure out what it stands for, but is a good song anyway. Possibly Ozzy's darkest song, but has another great solo by Wylde.

7. Hellraiser 7/10- Has a great chorus but the verses suck as does Ozzy's voice in the verses. Decent intermission and solo.

8. Time After Time 9/10- A decent song that is overplayed on radio stations. Somewhat sappy, I like still like it but can't figure out why it was such a great hit.

9. Zombie Stomp 7/10- One of my favorite intros ever is wasted on a mediocre song and Ozzy's vocals suck.

10. A.V.H. 10/10- Can't figure out what this stands for either but it is possibly the best Ozzy song that no one's heard of. Zakk Wylde has another remarkable solo, but would have been a good song even without it.

11. Road to Nowhere 10/10- At first I thought it was stupid until I really listened to it. The lyrics avoid being sappy and has a great guitar riff and solo by Wylde.

12. Don't Blame Me 6/10- I can see why the didn't put this on the original album, the riff isn't that likeable and the same with the solo.

13. Party with the Animals 3/10- Thank goodness for the skip button. The only noteable thing about this song is that it was on the "Buffy" (the movie) soundtrack.

Ozzy is a genius because even though he isn't that good of a singer (even though I like him) he is always smart enough to make it up by writing great songs and surrounding himself with amazing musicians. Zakk Wylde is one of my favorite guitarists of all time and the bass line in "No More Tears" by Mike Inez is unforgettable, he would later become famous in Alice in Chains; Randy Castillo is decent too. Although "Blizzard of Ozz" is Ozzy's most influencial album, "No More Tears" is definitely his best and I would recommend it for any rock fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic from the True "Metal God", September 9, 2000
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
Like the title says this is another classic album from Ozzy Osbourne. It is a perfect follow up to the amazing No Rest for the Wicked. (Look for a review of that coming soon.) As far as the band goes they never sounded tighter. On this album Ozzy has Zakk Wylde playing guitar, Bob Daisley on bass, Randy Castillo on drums, and John Sinclair on keyboards. They sound amazong together and are the perfect soundtrack for Ozzy's stories about his life as a musician. In my opinion this is the finest example of Zakk Wylde's guitar playing, he is truly amazing, Randy Castillo's drums also compliment the talents of bassist Bob Daisley who played with Ozzy early in his solo career. No More Tears is one of Ozzy's greatest albums.
The first song on the album is Mr. Tinkertrain. It starts off with some children's music like the beginning on Bloodbath in Paradise off No Rest for the Wicked. You can also hear some children playing in the background. After about a minute of this it then kicks into a full blown heavy metal song with a very catchy chorus. The song is also filled with Zakk Wylde's trademark vibrato. The hit I Don't Want to Change the World is up next. It was co written by Motorhead singer/bassist Lemmy Kilmister. Zakk Wylde is amazing on this song like he is on every song he ever played on. The ballad Mama, I'm Coming Home is next. This is one of my favorite songs on this album. It is a very catchy song, and the acoustic guitar sounds great. Bob Daisley also does a fine job playing bass on this track. Desire is another heavy track with amazing guitar as well as a catchy chorus. Next up is the epic title track No More Tears. This song is one of the best on the album. It was co written by Alice in Chain's bassist Mike Inez. The song is truly a masterpiece. It's both heavy and soft. It features The band also shows amazing musicianship on this track. The keyboard part in the middle of the song is especially great as well as Randy Castillo's drumming. The best part of the song however is the guitar solo. It is one big build to the solo, think Stairway to Heaven. S.I.N. has a great chorus and a great guitar solo. Hellraiser is another song co written by Lemmy. This bass heavy song is another amazing track. There's really not much to say about this album, it's pretty consistant. The songs are pretty much all heavy with catchy choruses and amazing guitar playing. Time After Time is a change of pace. It is a power ballad. Zakk Wylde plays one of his most impressive solo's on this track. Zombie Stomp is another bass heavy song. A.V.H. has a very impressive slide guitar intro before kicking into a fast paced metal song. The last song Road to Nowhere is a perfect account of a musicians life. It's a heavy song but it's not a fast song. This is another great song, and a perfect closer for an amazing album.
So there you have it my review of No More Tears. I hope it was helpful and not too boring. It's hard to write a review of a consistant sounding album. For further listening I strongly suggest Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, The Ultimate Sin, No Rest for the Wicked, Tribute, and Speak of the Devil by Ozzy, Stronger than Death by Black Label Society (Zakk's band), and New Tattoo by Motley Crue (another good example of Randy's talents behind the drum kit.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy's definitive Zakk Wylde-era disc, June 19, 2005
Locke Scholar 815 "h-bomb" (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
After a pretty good but not spectacular debut with "No Rest For the Wicked" (which was by no means a bad album), many were intrigued by Ozzy's new guitarist. Some thought he could be the next Randy Rhoads (R.I.P.); some thought he was better than Rhoads. While I don't totally disagree with the first statement, I still feel that there is no replacement for Ozzy's first and greatest guitarist. Anyway, while the guitar work on "No Rest For the Wicked" was good, it was marred by the album's overall muddy production (especially noticeable on the percussion aspect). Fortunately, Wylde was given the chance to shine on "No More Tears," which I consider to be one of the best Ozzy CDs. It really shows how well the band can rock out, and it features some of their most popular music. The opening song "Mr. Tinkertrain" starts out with an intro similar to the one from "Bloodbath in Paradise," but this song goes in a much different direction. It is a great opener, and one of the best songs on the CD. "I Don't Want to Change the World" is up next, and it is one of the songs that brought Ozzy into the mainstream. Although I prefer the live rendition, the studio version is still good. "Mama, I'm Coming Home," another song that everyone knows, displays a mellower side of Ozzy, and the intro has a bit of a Southern rock sound to it. "Desire," another popular hit from this CD, is pretty good, but not on the same level as the previous three. "No More Tears" is the album's seven-minute-plus title track. It starts with an infectious bass intro, then kicks into one of the greatest, albeit disturbing, Ozzy songs ever written. "S.I.N." is the forgotten classic of this CD, and for some reason it has been included on neither of Ozzy's "greatest hits" compilations, even though it is more fit than most songs. "Hellraiser" is another great song which, for some strange reason beyond my comprehension, is often overlooked. "Time After Time" slows things down a little, and it's another one of the more popular songs on the album. "Zombie Stomp" is a cheesy yet irresistable song that you'll want to hear again and again. "A.V.H." isn't really that memorable, but after a few listens it will start to grow on you. "Road to Nowhere" is a sorrowful song in which Ozzy sings about his regrets and how "the road of nowhere leads to [him]". The bonus songs "Don't Blame Me" and Party with the Animals" are decent, but they lack the flair that the rest of the album possesses. Overall, I really like this CD. Sure, it's no "Blizzard of Ozz" or "Diary of a Madman," but then again, how could Ozzy ever match those without the help of Randy Rhoads? Zakk Wylde is still a great player, though, and his ample talents are best displayed here. If you don't own this CD, I highly recommend you purchase it as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy's Best?, February 2, 2008
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
Coming into 1991's No More Tears, Ozzy Osbourne hadn't put out a truly GREAT album, since 1980' s Blizzard of Ozz. Diary of a Madman and Bark at the Moon both sound incredibly dated, The Ultimate Sin was good, but not up to Blizzard's standard, and while Zakk Wylde's guitar work gave No Rest for the Wicked a fresh sound, Ozzy's vocals just didn't seem to really hit home.

And then this happened. A complete album, and the one we've been wanting since we saw what Ozzy was capable of. Zakk's guitar is just massive, here, and Daisley's bass tightly thumps throughout, backing some of Ozzy's best vocal work.

Some highlights:

---Zakk's solo on "I Don't Want to Change the World"

---"Mama, I'm Coming Home"...Ozzy's best ballad since "Goodbye to Romance" and "Revelation" graced our ears on Blizzard, and possibly his best since Black Sabbath did "Changes" on Vol 4

---Zakk's solo on "No More Tears"

---"Hellraiser"...gotta love songs about rock n' roll!

---Zakk's solo on "Time After Time"

...and so forth. Even the laughably ridiculous track ("Zombie Stomp") has killer guitar work...just a joke of a chorus. If they had thought of a better chorus and title for that one track...some lyrics worthy of the musicianship behind it, then this would get a perfect score. As it is...4.5.

On another note:

DO NOT BUY THE 2002 OZZY REMASTERS of his first two albums (Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman)! They are NOT the originals, and have been rerecorded by newer members of Ozzy's band, as a way to screw over the old members who are owed $$$ for the work they did. Seek out the 1995 remasters, instead. Reward the musicians who actually made the music!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, for sure!, May 8, 2000
This review is from: No More Tears (Audio CD)
Wow, what a great album! Ozzy is amazing! You can't even pick out a favorite, all of these songs are great. It's got awesome heavy songs and three incredible ballads. Randy Rhoads is definitely missed, but no one could listen to this and deny that Zakk Wylde was a great replacement. If you haven't bought this album, you simply must. And, if you ever have a chance to see him in concert, do it, it is amazing. I've only seen him with Sabbath and he didn't do any of this stuff, but it was still great. If there's one thing you can say about this album, it's that it rules. Amazing lyrics, amazing guitar, just amazing! Buy now! Oh, and if anyone out there knows what A.V.H. stands for, please E-mail me and let me know.

No More Tears
No More Tears by Ozzy Osbourne (Audio CD - 2002)