5.0 out of 5 stars No Ordinary Moments:A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life
Published on June 13, 2000 by Abu Mazen

3.0 out of 5 stars NO ordinary moments , ordinary book
No ordinary moments , ordinary book.

Sorry Dan , Loved your intial creation , but was not in tune to this book.

Yes , you write all the correct ideas , yes I , do belive in the turthfullnes of the content , but some how felt it was a mass collection of guidance without a clear message

Lots of love
Wishing you only the best...
Published on March 1, 2010 by Guy Yagish Alter

5.0 out of 5 stars No Ordinary Moments:A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life, June 13, 2000
This review is from: No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life (Millman, Dan) (Paperback)
To me, this book reads like a conversation between the reader's mind and Mr. Millman. Mr.M. has interspersed several useful mental and physical(i.e. breathing) exercises amongst the various chapters of this great book, giving the publication a very practical appeal. The use of quotes is also very effective. There is no preachy, judgmental "fire & brimstone" tone to the teachings either. Mr. M. uses examples from his own life, which helps the reader get "closer" to the author.
I like Mr. M.'s approach to self-help issues such as addictions, relationships and success. One begins to realize that it is all up to the individual to CHOOSE their path when faced with ANY circumstance.
My favorite section is "The Time is Now" (pp.291-295) which truly drives home the truth that every moment of one's life can be an unreasonably happy microcosmic "lifetime".
Thank you Mr. Millman!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Ordinary Moments, January 4, 2000
Dan's writing is clear and concise. While each new idea builds upon previous thoughts, one can read snippets here and there, and still gain great insight. As a Psychiatric nurse, I have used areas of his book to help increase understanding and insight among my higher functioning patients, with great success. Everything he writes is easy to read and understand and put into practice. A very valuable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars No ordinary book, December 9, 1999
Unlike much of the "it's easy to be perfectly happy" self-help genre, this book offers practical and useful ways to become more aware of each action, each reaction, and each choice we make. None of it is easy, and that is what I appreciate the most - the honesty to say it takes work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down to Earth and Practical Wisdom, June 14, 2008
I first got introduced to Dan Millman when a friend gave me "Way Of The Peaceful Warrior" as a birthday gift. I loved the book and the teachings contained within it. In fact I recently re-read it after seeing the movie "Peaceful Warrior" and thought it was as great as the first time.

From a practical standpoint though, it can be difficult to use that book as a guidebook for one's life and incorporate the teachings since you have to extract them from the narrative. This isn't a fault of the book, it's just not written as a guidebook. In fact, much of the appeal of "Peaceful Warrior" is the way the narrative "draws you in".

This book "No Ordinary Moments" fulfills the role of a spiritual yet practical guidebook. It is a compendium of wisdom that is organized in a way that is very easy to use on a day to day basis.

I'm am reading it from cover to cover but certainly one doesn't have to use it that way.

I've been dealing with quite a bit of stress in my life recently and this book (as well as Dan's more recent guidebook "Everyday Enlightenment" which I'm reading for the second time) is tremendously helpful in helping me keep perspective and get centered. I keep the two books in different parts of my house so I have easy access to each of them depending on where I happen to be. :)

What I appreciate about Dan Millman is that he is an ordinary man (has a wife, kids, bills etc.) and therefore has a lot of "real world" credibility for a person like myself. Like him I'm a husband and father with the pressures and stresses of trying to take care of many responsibilities while also trying to stay grounded and more peaceful while growing spiritually.

I certainly also appreciate teachings of spritual masters like the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh, both of whom have dealt with their share of real life issues also (the pains suffered by the Tibetan people, and Thich Nhat Hanh's experiences with his homeland of Vietnam). Still, they are monks who do not live a life similar to mine, so there are areas where I tend to have a "disconnect" with them. Dan Millman's teachings speak from a perspective that resonates more with my personal experiences.

I also felt it important to mention for folks who have read "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" and "Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior" (another great book), that Dan's guidebooks are very different than them. Those are written more as parables where these other books ("No Ordinary Moments"/"Everyday Enlightenment") are written as guidebooks.

This may turn some people off who like the more "mystical" feel of the other books. Those books are a blend of fact w/ fiction and are more "riveting" to read, where the other books are more instructional and applicable to one's daily life.

For me personally, while I enjoy the "Parable/mystical" books, I find the guidebooks have more of an impact on my actual life.

I highly recommend all the books of Dan Millman's that I've mentioned, he has a gift for making these teachings accessible for anyone who is looking for a way to be inspired and connect spiritually.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book, August 3, 2007
This book has absolutely changed my life. For the past 4+ years I have been having personal issues that I refused to deal with until they all came at me at once. Dan's book helps you take your first steps on a personal journey of exploration, self-improvement, and spiritual-awakening (as your own beliefs allow). The first section of the book is a new way to look at yourself, a new way of thought, setting goals for yoru life. The next section called "tools of transformation" helps you begin that journey, which is a life-long one.

I have read several books along this genre, scanned through an untold number trying to find that one book that was easy to understand in everyday conversational writing and not Dr speak, and this is that book. It's an easy read, so easy to say "that makes great sense", "i can apply this to my own life by..." We've all seen Phd books, they talk about their practice, their patients...but I've seen so many that are completely not helpful as a guide to starting that path. This book, I can guarantee, is the book.

I'm no longer an angry person, not nearly as impatient as I once was, nor do I take for granted the things I've been given. I have to say...if I hadn't read this book...I'd be in a much worse position than I ever was...downward spiral.

Dan - thank you so much for illuminating the path of my journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for curing lifes problems...A must for some., August 17, 1996
By A Customer
This book is a excellent book for those that want to
understand themselves, their fears, worrys, and problems in
life and FINALLY have a practical way to cure them. This
isn't your average self-help. Dan Millman is insighful,
funny, witty, and enlightening with his short storys and
object lessons. This is a MUST for anyone that wants to
find their true happiness and understand themselves better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!!!, February 6, 1998
By A Customer
I just have to say that this is by far one of the most extraordinary books that I have ever read. I actually take this book on all my travels as sort of a guide for me to follow. Every time I read it I get more out of it. I have read all of Dan's titles and have even had the pleasure of seeing him speak recently in Chicago, and I highly recommend this title to anyone that want's to get to that next level of spiritual awakening. To Dan I say Thank You, this book has changed me in so many ways. Sincerely, Cassie Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars There ARE no ordinary moments., February 19, 2010
Joy Andis "Angel Joy" (Ware, UK and Sedona AZ) - See all my reviews
I started reading Dan Millman in my late 20's. That was when "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" was THE book to have on your shelves, and at that time the only one.
Since then Dan Millman has written several sequels to his Peaceful Warrior series and written several more nooks on practical spiritual for everyday folks.
This book was actually recommended to me by a friend, so I ordered it. It was compelling from beginning to end.

I too now recommend this book to anyone who has ever asked the question"Where do I start"? OR used several of the excuses we all use against our own (or worse yet others) spiritual developement.

Well you start at the beginning, you keep it simple, one thing, one day at a time and its not only practical, its DOABLE. A big thing in a small world. Let this book show you how it can be done.
Let the journey begin, today, with the first step.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy living in the moment,rather than for the moment!, July 12, 1998
By A Customer
I have recommended this book to many friends and students-if you've been told you are playing life at 10 and know you really are only playing at 5, then this book will assist you in discovering what's holding you back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, June 27, 1997
By A Customer
This book is excellent. It made be realize who I am, and gave me more confidence. It's a sword for the daily battles we all face. I saw life in a new perspective; a better one. Every day was worth enjoying

No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life (Millman, Dan)
$12.95 $9.93