Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life (Millman, Dan)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on June 13, 2000
To me, this book reads like a conversation between the reader's mind and Mr. Millman. Mr.M. has interspersed several useful mental and physical(i.e. breathing) exercises amongst the various chapters of this great book, giving the publication a very practical appeal. The use of quotes is also very effective. There is no preachy, judgmental "fire & brimstone" tone to the teachings either. Mr. M. uses examples from his own life, which helps the reader get "closer" to the author.
I like Mr. M.'s approach to self-help issues such as addictions, relationships and success. One begins to realize that it is all up to the individual to CHOOSE their path when faced with ANY circumstance.
My favorite section is "The Time is Now" (pp.291-295) which truly drives home the truth that every moment of one's life can be an unreasonably happy microcosmic "lifetime".
Thank you Mr. Millman!
on January 4, 2000
Dan's writing is clear and concise. While each new idea builds upon previous thoughts, one can read snippets here and there, and still gain great insight. As a Psychiatric nurse, I have used areas of his book to help increase understanding and insight among my higher functioning patients, with great success. Everything he writes is easy to read and understand and put into practice. A very valuable book.
on December 9, 1999
Unlike much of the "it's easy to be perfectly happy" self-help genre, this book offers practical and useful ways to become more aware of each action, each reaction, and each choice we make. None of it is easy, and that is what I appreciate the most - the honesty to say it takes work.
on June 14, 2008
I first got introduced to Dan Millman when a friend gave me "Way Of The Peaceful Warrior" as a birthday gift. I loved the book and the teachings contained within it. In fact I recently re-read it after seeing the movie "Peaceful Warrior" and thought it was as great as the first time.

From a practical standpoint though, it can be difficult to use that book as a guidebook for one's life and incorporate the teachings since you have to extract them from the narrative. This isn't a fault of the book, it's just not written as a guidebook. In fact, much of the appeal of "Peaceful Warrior" is the way the narrative "draws you in".

This book "No Ordinary Moments" fulfills the role of a spiritual yet practical guidebook. It is a compendium of wisdom that is organized in a way that is very easy to use on a day to day basis.

I'm am reading it from cover to cover but certainly one doesn't have to use it that way.

I've been dealing with quite a bit of stress in my life recently and this book (as well as Dan's more recent guidebook "Everyday Enlightenment" which I'm reading for the second time) is tremendously helpful in helping me keep perspective and get centered. I keep the two books in different parts of my house so I have easy access to each of them depending on where I happen to be. :)

What I appreciate about Dan Millman is that he is an ordinary man (has a wife, kids, bills etc.) and therefore has a lot of "real world" credibility for a person like myself. Like him I'm a husband and father with the pressures and stresses of trying to take care of many responsibilities while also trying to stay grounded and more peaceful while growing spiritually.

I certainly also appreciate teachings of spritual masters like the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh, both of whom have dealt with their share of real life issues also (the pains suffered by the Tibetan people, and Thich Nhat Hanh's experiences with his homeland of Vietnam). Still, they are monks who do not live a life similar to mine, so there are areas where I tend to have a "disconnect" with them. Dan Millman's teachings speak from a perspective that resonates more with my personal experiences.

I also felt it important to mention for folks who have read "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" and "Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior" (another great book), that Dan's guidebooks are very different than them. Those are written more as parables where these other books ("No Ordinary Moments"/"Everyday Enlightenment") are written as guidebooks.

This may turn some people off who like the more "mystical" feel of the other books. Those books are a blend of fact w/ fiction and are more "riveting" to read, where the other books are more instructional and applicable to one's daily life.

For me personally, while I enjoy the "Parable/mystical" books, I find the guidebooks have more of an impact on my actual life.

I highly recommend all the books of Dan Millman's that I've mentioned, he has a gift for making these teachings accessible for anyone who is looking for a way to be inspired and connect spiritually.
on August 3, 2007
This book has absolutely changed my life. For the past 4+ years I have been having personal issues that I refused to deal with until they all came at me at once. Dan's book helps you take your first steps on a personal journey of exploration, self-improvement, and spiritual-awakening (as your own beliefs allow). The first section of the book is a new way to look at yourself, a new way of thought, setting goals for yoru life. The next section called "tools of transformation" helps you begin that journey, which is a life-long one.

I have read several books along this genre, scanned through an untold number trying to find that one book that was easy to understand in everyday conversational writing and not Dr speak, and this is that book. It's an easy read, so easy to say "that makes great sense", "i can apply this to my own life by..." We've all seen Phd books, they talk about their practice, their patients...but I've seen so many that are completely not helpful as a guide to starting that path. This book, I can guarantee, is the book.

I'm no longer an angry person, not nearly as impatient as I once was, nor do I take for granted the things I've been given. I have to say...if I hadn't read this book...I'd be in a much worse position than I ever was...downward spiral.

Dan - thank you so much for illuminating the path of my journey.
on August 17, 1996
This book is a excellent book for those that want to
understand themselves, their fears, worrys, and problems in
life and FINALLY have a practical way to cure them. This
isn't your average self-help. Dan Millman is insighful,
funny, witty, and enlightening with his short storys and
object lessons. This is a MUST for anyone that wants to
find their true happiness and understand themselves better.
on February 6, 1998
I just have to say that this is by far one of the most extraordinary books that I have ever read. I actually take this book on all my travels as sort of a guide for me to follow. Every time I read it I get more out of it. I have read all of Dan's titles and have even had the pleasure of seeing him speak recently in Chicago, and I highly recommend this title to anyone that want's to get to that next level of spiritual awakening. To Dan I say Thank You, this book has changed me in so many ways. Sincerely, Cassie Stewart
on October 15, 2015
Part 1 – The Peaceful Warrior’s Way - Chapter 1 includes a poem about the way of the Peaceful Warrior. There is an exercise to see the Face of a Peaceful Warrior. You’ll learn of the Three Selves: 1) The Basic Self; 2) The Conscious Self; and 3) The Higher Self. This chapter includes an exercise for experiencing the three selves. You learn about the body, mind and emotions; the weakest link; a balanced life; courage and love.

Chapter 2 includes ups and downs, the simple life, relationships issues and lessons of daily life.

Chapter 3 includes how life is school and the blessings of adversity. There is also an exercise about hearing from adversity. You’ll learn of the Blue bird’s Lesson, riding the Natural Cycles, The Teachings of Death and Separation and surviving the death of a loved one. This chapter includes an excellent exercise in saying good-bye. This chapter also covers the end of relationships and includes a Separation Ceremony. You’ll also learn how to understand suffering.

Part II – Up the Mountain Path - Chapter 4 is about getting real; Life, illusion and reality. Listed are 8 rules for being human. You’ll learn the hazards of illusion and the short-term and long-term consequences. This chapter includes an exercise entitled Choices and Consequences.

Chapter 5 covers universal addictions and compulsions. You‘ll learn how to understand energy. There is also an exercise entitled Sensing Energy Fields. You’ll learn how the body is a channel of energy, the 3 obstructions (mental, emotional and physical). You’ll learn the 7 gateways of stress release. This chapter also covers fear and high-risk behaviors. There is also an exercise called the Habit Assessment.

Chapter 6 is about the will to change. This chapter covers knowing vs. doing, the 3 selves in conflict and cooperation. There are 4 exercises in this chapter and they are entitled Exciting Memories; Pleasure and Pain; Three Selves, Three Motives; and Pros and Cons – The Decision to Change. You’ll learn how what you imagine becomes reality. The author goes into depth about the process of change, resistance to change and the 6 keys to transformation. You’ll learn how to teach the basic self through the body, the power of commitment, forming new patterns and visualizing the road ahead

Part III – Tools for Transformation - Chapter 7 is about balancing the body. This chapter includes exercises entitled Forgiving the Body; and Back to Nature and Conscious Eating. You’ll learn about the body and natural laws, a Warrior’s approach to diet, systematic undereating and adapting to a new dietary lifestyle. This chapter also includes the 3 benefits of fasting and includes an exercise entitled Diet: Taking the Next Step. This chapter also goes into depth about exercise. It contains an exercise entitled One-Minute Tension Release. You’ll also learn the 3 advantages of getting a massage from someone else and the 4 advantages of self-massage, as well as the 6 principles of self-massage. Concluding with a One-Minute Self-Massage exercise. Balancing the body also includes stretching, breathing and alignment.

Chapter 8 – Liberating the Mind includes 2 kinds of knowledge, objective and subjective. This is where the books get’s interesting. You’ll learn that consciousness is synonymous with God or Spirit. You’ll learn that your mind can be a source of stress and how to recognize distorted beliefs. You will learn 8 principles for choosing the deliberate, conscious and committed practice of meditation. This chapter also includes making decisions and trusting intuition.

Chapter 9 – Accepting Emotions includes the importance of feeling, relaxation and release, reasons to rebalance and expression.

Part IV – The Battle Within begins with Chapter 10 – Self – Concept. Here you’ll learn how you can be a prisoner of self-concept, the limitations of experience, how to visualize the positive, the principles of excellence, pushing your limits, staying open to possibilities and modeling who you want to become.

Chapter 11 – Self-Worth – tells how to master the hurdle, the spectrum of self-worth, key questions of worthiness, the irony of worthiness, origins of self-worth, six steps to healing the past, opportunities for service, taking charge of your life, compassion, forgiveness and four steps for releasing self-judgments.

Chapter 12 – Good Excuses – Tells of the limits of reason, playing roles in the theater of life, four steps to giving yourself a promotion, steps to finding your heart’s desire and excuses large and small.

Part V - The Expanded Life – Chapter 13 – Opening the Heart – You’ll learn about love, language and lies we tell ourselves, it’s only money, anonymous donations, opening the heart and transcending emotional contraction, ways to open your heart, three steps for feeling your heart, steps on how to speak from the heart, how to send an inner blessing, opening the windows of the soul, spiritual hearing, four steps to listen from the heart and emotional needs.

Chapter 14 – The Power of Happiness – Happiness is defined, seeking happiness, where happiness isn’t, the ultimate discipline, unreasonable happiness, three directions of happiness, a shift in perspective and six ways of expanding beyond yourself.

Chapter 15 – The Time is Now – A great recap of the book.

The Appendix – Getting Started is a plan that includes 20 minutes of physical exercise, 20 minutes of spiritual exercise and a purifying one-week diet.

A lot of information packed into one book!
on February 19, 2010
I started reading Dan Millman in my late 20's. That was when "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" was THE book to have on your shelves, and at that time the only one.
Since then Dan Millman has written several sequels to his Peaceful Warrior series and written several more nooks on practical spiritual for everyday folks.
This book was actually recommended to me by a friend, so I ordered it. It was compelling from beginning to end.

I too now recommend this book to anyone who has ever asked the question"Where do I start"? OR used several of the excuses we all use against our own (or worse yet others) spiritual developement.

Well you start at the beginning, you keep it simple, one thing, one day at a time and its not only practical, its DOABLE. A big thing in a small world. Let this book show you how it can be done.
Let the journey begin, today, with the first step.
on July 12, 1998
I have recommended this book to many friends and students-if you've been told you are playing life at 10 and know you really are only playing at 5, then this book will assist you in discovering what's holding you back!