5.0 out of 5 stars I'm getting ready for all the negative reviews.
Published on April 7, 2002 by eddiesbloodbrother

2.0 out of 5 stars 1st disappointing album from Iron Maiden
THE BAND: Bruce Dickinson (vocals), Dave Murray (guitar), Janick Gers (guitar), Steve Harris (bass), Nicko McBrain (drums & percussion).

Published on April 2, 2003 by R. Gorham

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm getting ready for all the negative reviews., April 7, 2002
"eddiesbloodbrother" (The edge of the world) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Prayer for Dying (Audio CD)
I am just writing before all the other people start talking about what a horrible album this is. What is so horrible about it? Absolutely nothing. The production is great, you can hear every instrument just right. There is someone else on guitar with dave, someone who is crazy on stage, and has a very mean guitar sound, it isnt adrian thats for sure. It is the most highly underrated guitarist probably to date, mr. jannick gers. The song writing is powerful, really deep, and is based on alot of personal issues.
If you think this album is not very good, then you shouldnt be a fan of killers, the # of the beast, piece of mind, and powerslave. Because this is the exact same concept with those albums, only there is a different outstanding guitarist on ending of the golden years for maiden. This is a simple album, it isnt a very complex one, yet it is filled with power driving riffs, and greatness. Nicko's drums are unstoppable, bruce is very heavy, I can understand if some people do not like his singing in this, I dont think it sounds like there is acid in his throat, but is just very raw.
Harris delivers his intense songwriting and bass playing as usual. Every song on here is worthy to listen too, there are favorites but every song is enjoyable. Last note, for all of those who are jannick haters, lets see if you can play the solos from tail gunner, holy smoke, run silent, run deep, and bring your daughter to the slaugher. Just try to play these 4 solos, and you will see what im talking about. I have been playing guitar for awhile now, and I know that gers is an awesome guitarist, and clicks with dave so sensationally. Thats why they recruited this man, it should be obvious. Anyway, im ready to see how unhelpful my vote is, ect. Just wanted to try and prove a point, hopefully at least 10 out of 100 people will see my review helpfull,and to the rest of you who dont, just try to play gers's riffs, and really listen to this album better. Cause yes it is definitely up to the normal maiden standards. UP THE IRONS!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars 1st disappointing album from Iron Maiden, April 2, 2003
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)

THE DISC: (1990) 10 tracks clocking in at just over 44 minutes. Included with the disc is a 14-page booklet that contains band pictures, song credits/titles, song lyrics, and thank you's. Recorded at Steve Harris' Barn somewhere in England on the Rolling Stone Mobile. Cover art by Derek Riggs. Label - Epic. *The digitally remastered version (on Sanctuary Maiden label) released in 2002 offers more in the way of liner notes and videos for your PC.

COMMENTS: It's hard for me to write this review, since I've been a fan of Iron Maiden from the beginning. I have their entire collection on disc - Iron Maiden has so many great releases. Some of those ("Number Of The Beast", "Powerslave", and "Piece Of Mind" to name a few) are all-time British metal classics... as well as all-time heavy metal classics. However, there are so many things wrong with "No Prayer For The Dying". What the heck happened after 1988's "7th Son Of A 7th Son" (less than 2 years prior)? The sound (production) is flat. Much different from previous albums - Steve Harris' Barn and the Rolling Stone Mobile I'm sure has something to do with it. This was a first for the band recording here (most of their classic 80's material was recorded in the Bahamas or France). Guitar wizard Adrian Smith is gone... working on solo projects and beckoning Dickinson to join him (a few years later he got his wish). For the most part, the melodies are forgettable. And most importantly, the lyrics are silly, or don't fit with the song. Several reviews here trash Dickinson's vocals. I disagree - I think he sounds fine, but the lyrics just don't go with the guitar licks and melodies... leaving an awkward feel to most of this album. "No Prayer For The Dying" is also missing a trademark epic song. It doesn't have to be a 13-minute "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner", but something lengthier than "Mother Russia" (the longest song on the album at 5:31) would have been nice. Steve Harris is an amazing bassist, but the questionable bass playing on "Run Silent Run Deep" simply baffles me. The original album cover artwork features Eddie reaching out and choking a man... on the remastered edition, the man is gone and (background) colors are slightly changed. The band's most recent "live" albums ("Death On The Road" and "Rock In Rio") feature NO songs from "No Prayer For The Dying"... what's that tell you! On the plus side, the songs "Holy Smoke" and "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter" made it to their "Essential" (2005) and "Edward The Great" (2002) best-of compilations. The latter of the two also made it to "Best Of The Beast" (1996). While these two songs are easily the best songs on the disc, that's not saying much... they're both weak compared to anything the band did in the 80's. The 3rd best song is "Tailgunner" - good tune with unconforming lyrics. I've kept the original disc and opted not to trade in for the remastered version - even with better sound quality, it's still an album I won't listen to much. In my opinion, Iron Maiden really struggled in the 90's... two sub par albums with Bruce ("Fear Of The Dark" was the other one), and two with sad replacement singer Blaze Bailey ("X Factor" and "Virtual Xi"). I've tried repeatedly to get "into" this album over the years... and I simply can't do it (2.5 stars).

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Maiden All the Way!, October 8, 2005
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
I have been a Maiden fan for a long time(since i listened to Powerslave and got hooked.) Everyone who has reviewed this album are not true iron maiden fans. All the puny two and three stars that you guys gave this cd are screwed up. I had this albunm burned for me a couple of weeks ago and I was hooked as soon as I put on the headphones. From Tailgunner to Mother Russia (a should have been greatest hit) all 10 songs are sweet. Killer solos, catchy verses and chorus', and pounding drums, this cd kicks huge butt. Here is a review on this cd from number 1 to number 10:

Tailgunner: This song is really sweet! The killer intro goes for a 1:20 or so and the rest is maiden all the way. Its got interesting lyrics, driving riffs, and pounding drums. While not the best song on the cd, tailgunner is a great opener to NPFTD. 9 out of 10 stars.

Holy Smoke: This greatest hit is definetly deserved! the verses, chorus', and everything about this song is insane! The driving riffs are catchy, the lyrics are Bruce at his best, and the solos are Maiden All The Way! A 10/10!

No Prayer for The Dying: When the screwed up reviews were naming th "ok" songs on NPFTD they forgot to mention this one! This title track is my favorite song on the whole cd! Its slow, its meaningful, its got sweet solos, its got great lyrics, the drums aren't "Phil Rudd" funky primers, and i cant beleive its not a greatest hit! 11/10

Public Enema Number One: Its a good song, but not a great one! I think this song is pretty good, but lets just say its not the first song i go to when I pop in the cd. I listened to it once: Ok, moving on. Then I listened to it again: When is this song over again? I think you get the picture! 6.5-7/10.

Fates Warning: This is a pretty cool maiden song, but its hard to hear the vocals on a lot of the parts. It was definetly a releif from Public Enema, but its not like th title track. Its got strange but cool lyrics and great guitar riffs. 8.5/10

Assassin: I love this song! Its my top three on the album and I think it should have been a hit. I love the solos and the lyrics are sneaky Bruces style completely. You better Watch Out, cause this song will grab you by the ears and pull you in! 10/10

Run Silent Run Deep: Another great song that has an incredible intro! Even after I listened to the song, I replayed just to hear the intro again. The lyrics are meanfulful, though this is not a slow song, and the guitars are awesome! The drums are good and its one of my top five on the cd! 9/10

Hooks in You: This song starts off good, but theres something about the chorus that just doesnt "hook me in." I like it, but then i dont. It could have been a lot better if Bruce would have come a little stronger with the vocals. Still it has a sweet solo and good guitar riffs. 7.5/10.

Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter: This song is a greatest hit but i dont think its better than NPFTD or Mother Russia which were not hits! Dont get me wrong, the riffs, drumming, and Bruces vocals are sweet and Iron maiden at their finest, but like i said, a little over-rated. Still a classic, and a perfect song for a horror movie. 9/10

Mother Russia: I love the intro, the drums, the insane solos, the short but strong lyrics, and the humming. This song ends No prayer for the dying very strong. You will love it and will want to learn the words quickly. 10/10 all the way!

Hoped you like my review. Dont listen to anyone if they say this cdis bad and if they say im a fool, just look at how long it took me to write this review! *** UP THE IRONS!

2.0 out of 5 stars 1st disappointing album from Iron Maiden, August 10, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., October 15, 2002
"apollo5710" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
No Prayer for the Dying is Iron Maiden's 1990 follow-up album to the Seventh Son album, a hugely successful album. Steve Harris wanted to take a step back to the basics and produce more of a "Garage" type sound, instead of expanding on the huge and progressive nature of their last two albums, "Somewhere in Time" and "Seventh Son". Adrian Smith disagreed with this approach and left the band. Janick Gers was brought in, and indeed brought a much more raw and hard edge to the rhythm and overall sound. The contrast between Gers and Dave Murray on guitar is extremely big. The two styles are extremely different, almost two much so. Harris' vision is understood, but the result is a rather poor and lackluster effort from a band that we came to expect so much from. Not that it's a bad album in anyway, just not up to the calibur of their previous seven albums. The first three songs are actually pretty good. "Tailgunner" is this albums fast paced energetic opener, followed by "Holy Smoke" one of the two singles from this album, a very good song with a great back to back solo where you can clearly hear the differences in style of the two guitarists. The title track follows and is a more melow but good song, similar to "Children of the Damned" from the "Number of the Beast" album. The album now proceeds to descend into a series of songs not worth mentioning. Assasin is just not a good song, not up to Maiden calibur. It does, however, pick up towards the end with the last three songs. "Hooks in you" is indeed a catchy song, with a cool chorus, and characteristic creepy vocals from Bruce Dickinson. Great guitar work as well. "Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter" in next, and was the other single released. A very catchy chorus with hysterical lyrics. "Mother Russia" is a descent attempt to end the album with a Maiden characteristic epic finale, but it falls short compared to "Alexander the Great" or "Hallowed be thy name". In general, it's a good album as far as Rock and Roll goes, but the worst Maiden album up until that point.

2.0 out of 5 stars How Far the Mighty Have Fallen, April 1, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
I gave this album another listen the other day, and I remembered why this is my least favorite Maiden album. While albums like Piece of Mind and Powerslave offered intelligent, imaginative lyrics, Maiden often resorts to cliche here. Subject matter varies from the atypical heavy metal attack on televangelists ("Holy Smoke") to an uninspired song about aerial combat ("Tailgunner"). By the way, "Tailgunner" is a carbon copy of "Aces High" from Powerlave. "Mother Russia" is Maiden's inevitable attempt at a history lesson. It is even more formulaic than "Alexander the Great" from the Somewhere in Time album (another stinker), and is definitely tacked on. They are not nearly as musically ambitious as they were on past efforts. It used to be that Maiden kept you guessing, but the music on No Prayer for the Dying is so predictable it is depressing. This album lacks hooks, melody, and Bruce Dickinson's formidable vocal range is never even challenged. The only reason to buy this album is to fill out a collection. If you are looking for great music, get Piece of Mind, Powerslave, or Live After Death. Listen to Maiden in its glory, and you will realize why this album is so embarassing.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hated it, then I loved it!, August 6, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Well I loved all of the Iron Maiden stuff I heard before I bought this album, I could safely call myself a devoted fan. I heard this was supposedly one of thier really not so good albums. I'm one to give a great band a chance, so I bought it. The first couple spins I gave this album, I REALLY tried to like it and I just thought it was very bland and unenjoyable. I was ready to sell the thing, until it started to grow on me a little. Then it grew on me a lot, and I play this at least once every day. I can't get enough of it. My favorite track is the ultra catchy "Hooks In You" with the title track coming in second place. The only tracks that after so long have not caught on to me, and I still find to be not that great at all are "The Assassin" and "Run Silent Run Deep". So if you love Maiden's other stuff, give this one a chance!

4.0 out of 5 stars UNDERrated, January 14, 2011
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
i always liked this album. i never really understood the backlash it gets from the maiden fans. what's the problem? it's a great album! is it their BEST album? no. but it's not their worst, by far. sure their are a few filler tracks on this album, but as a whole, it's a very good maiden album. it has all the hallmarks of the maiden sound and a lot of killer tracks.
'tailgunner' 'holy smoke' 'bring your daughter..' 'run silent run deep' and the EPIC 'mother russia', among them. again, not a perfect album, but a damn good one.
most maiden fans point to albums like NUMBER OF THE BEAST and PIECE OF MIND as maiden classics, but even those albums have their filler tracks. can anyone honestly tell me that songs like 'quest for fire' 'sun and steel' and 'gangland'(among others) aren't filler? come on now. those are some weak tracks.
my point is this, every album has its filler and every album has some killer. this album has more killer than filler. NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING is a great album that is criminally underrated by most maiden fans. give it a shot, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Maiden highly underrated, April 14, 2010
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
No Prayer for the Dying is a really good addition to any Maiden fans collection,It contains the opening blistering "Tailgunner" which is one of my all time fav Maiden songs.As well as great rockers like "Holy Smoke".I know some dont like this album but you should check it out and make your own decisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and Powerful, March 14, 2009
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
This album gets little aclaim but,this cd rocks! Shorter songs,power chords that will rip your head off and Bruce Dickensons tarzanian vocals add up to a effort that will grab you and never let you go!

ARRAY(0x9e958804)

No Prayer for the Dying
No Prayer for the Dying by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 2002)