Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

on November 10, 2009
I wrote one of the original reviews on this can. I purchased both the 2-1/2 gallon one and the 1-1/4 gallon one in 2005. Both worked as advertised and I gave the can a rating of 5 stars.

In the Summer of 2010, I found this one to leak. A small crack had developed in one corner due to repeated expansion and contraction due to temperature chanegs in the outdoor garden shed, where this can was stored. The crack leaked gasoline all over the floor of the shed. The second one developed a similar kind of leak withon a month or two of the first.

The original ones had "lifetime" guarantees. I had purchased another 6 months before. I believed that the warranty had been reduced to 3 years.

I decided not to contact No-Spill although I know that they would honor the warranty.

The first ones had a tendency to leak if the cap was not tightened a certain way. The newer ratcheting cap ones are less likely to destroy the gasket, when tightened due ta "champhered" section in the cap. I have not confirmed it, but I've been told that the flat gaskets have been superceeded by "o" rings.

I would recomend this gas can, but expect to replace it every 5 years. I am currently testing Blitz, Scepter, Wedco and Midwest cans in the same garden shed.

The Scepter ones appear to be holding up the best. In 2 years, none have leaked. Older plastic gas cans were not vapor tight to 20 psi, so they do not expand and contract as the new CARB approved ones. They vented themselves at low pressure. I've seen them that are over 10 years old. Don't expect the current ones to last that long.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2012
Since I've been using outdoor power equipment a lot more lately - and I was getting tired of bathing in gasoline every time I overfilled my Stihl chain saw, I decided to invest in one of these "No-Spill" cans I saw a video advertisement for at my local hardware store. (Maybe you've seen it - the typical "cheesecake" girl demonstrating how you can fill up a tank, or even a shot glass, and the flow stops by itself)

Anyway, it works pretty well, IF the can is full or nearly so. When the can is 1/2 full or less, there is too much "give" in the vacuum created when the tank being filled is full, so the fuel will *still* overflow. This is especially true in small tanks like chainsaws or trimmers where the difference between "full" and "overflowing" is only a few ounces. This is just a limitation imposed by physics and I doubt that any tank of this style could do much better.

A bigger problem is that because this can is "No-Spill" - and advertised NOT to allow fuel vapors to leak in your car while being transported - is that it is NOT vented to relieve excess pressure or vacuum. As a result, temperature changes from sun/shade, or day/night create pressure and vacuum that will either "bloat" the can so that it rocks on a round bottom and the sides bulge outward - or - the sides will suck inward, partially collapsing the can. Though this looks to be just a cosmetic problem, as another reviewer has noted, the resultant flexing of the can causes cracks in the plastic after a while and a the can will leak.

An annoying though tolerable problem is that it's just plain tough to remove or replace the cap. Not only is the thread very tight and hard to get started straight, that you can only turn it 1/4 turn at a time, then you have to let go and get a new grip on the ring, it's just a pain in the but. Holding that little ratchet lock while trying to unscrew the cap is also a pain - and and a good way to gouge one hand with the fingernails of the other. A little study of ergonomics would go a long way toward improving this.

I suppose that since we now have these stupid rules about valves on gas cans, that this is an unintended consequence. Though the old steel cans DID have drawbacks, they were unlikely to leak unless they got rusty or run over, and that they would make your car smell like gasoline was a fact of life.

I guess if you can keep your No-Spill gas can in a temperature-controlled environment 24/7, and keep it full enough that the vacuum in the can won't overflow your chainsaw tank, you'll be pleased with the No-Spill gas "can." Otherwise, hold onto those old $2.00 metal gas cans with the flexible metal spout: Not only are they collector's items now, but they still work as designed and will last you a lifetime.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2009
After reviewing reviews on this product and knowing that Honda is highly recommending it, I purchased 3 different sizes for 3 different applications. After receiving them, I agree that they are probably the best on the market. There are some products that are very good, but require certain sized gas tank openings to work properly, whereas, the no-spill gas cans work on any size opening. It is a pleasure to pour gas without having to unscrew a gas can cap and not spill a drop.
on June 8, 2011
The last gas cans I owned were of the newer, allegedly-environment-friendly no-vent, no-spill type. And they sucked. There actually was a vent, of course, which was built into the spout, and so poorly designed that no matter how delicately you approached the fueling task the gas would gurgle and hesitate and gush, and you would invariably end up spilling almost as much gas on the mower as ended up in its tank.

I happened upon the No-Spill (brand?) on Amazon, ordered two on the spot, and received them two days later. The old cans were cleaned out and tossed into the recycling bin three days after that. These cans Just Work. Easy to use, little or no gurgle from the in-spout vent, and very easy to control flow - I've yet to spill a drop fueling the mower and various lawn implements. The only caveat is that you have to remember to give the fill button a quick press to equalize pressure before you pick up the can, otherwise you might get a short, uncontrolled gush of gas on a hot day. Five stars; excellent product; no complaints.
on December 4, 2010
I love this gas can because of the awesome nozzle that truly is a no spill spout.

The problem is that I've discovered that the plastic container that comes with this spout has some issues regarding not being totally flat on top at their seams.

To solve that take some sandpaper and rub across the top and smooth out where the base of the nozzle goes over the can itself and you'll fix the leak.

The spout itself is awesome and I don't even get any drips once done pouring.

If the body of the can didn't have this issue I'd give it a 5.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2013
Needed a new gas can for 2 cycle mix. After reading the great reviews for this can I figured I'd try it. After filling it I put the cap on and tightened it to about 3 or 4 clicks. As I was driving I could smell gas and noticed it was leaking out around the cap. I had to tighten it waaaay beyond the clicking part to get it to stop leaking. I ended up cutting off the clicky thing cause it was such a PIA. Today, filled it again and tightened it as much as I could and it still leaks. I like the no-spill nozzle, but I also want a no-leak can.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Pros: Easy to use. Very convenient for putting gas into a chainsaw.

Cons: The can gets completely sucked (concave) when cooled down. The plastic is not thick enough. I can tell already that where the plastic bends, it's going to fatigue and break. It's not designed to last. It's designed to flex then crack. Very disappointed for a relatively expensive product.

I bought this can because I was tired of the evaporative emissions from my old fashion 1gal can making my car interior smell like gas.
Well, it solved that problem, but where my old looks perfectly good after 15years of use, this new can is probably only going to last 1-2 years. I'm already seeing the plastic turn white in places from expanding on contracting. It's just a matter of time before it breaks.

Notes: Other people talk about it being difficult to unscrew the cap. It's not supposed to be tight. It should be loose. The o-ring seals and doesn't need to be compressed like other can designes. Just screw it tight enough for the racheting black plastic to lock.
on December 12, 2013
Its simple, Its difficult to unlock, hard to lock & it spills in my car. I would like to find a gas can that really doesn't leak & handles easy.
Too many engineers involved to make it complicated.
on July 17, 2014
Just like the other reviews say, LEAKS all over the place and is extremely dangerous when filling a hot mower. It went from the Amazon box the trash can in 3 minutes.
on December 7, 2013
Does what it says as far as I can tell but grossly over implies ease of use.

It is definitely NOT for those with arthritis, especially in the hands. it is one thing to hold down the "green button" to release pressure but a totally different matter to HOLD it down to dispense the gas.

Even those with GOOD hands would find it difficult to release the "lock" on the main nut to be able to fill the container but it is virtually impossible for someone with arthritic hands to do that (unless they use a tool -- like a BIG OPEN wrench).

We'll keep it because we don't seem to be able to find anything better according to current laws but we may have to "work around" the limitations just to be able to use it.