5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful surprise!
I received this cookbook as a gift and was at first skeptical about making any of the recipes. Growing up eating and preferring Asian food, I thought to myself that I wouldn't find aything I would like in this book since it wasn't an Asian cookbook.

Published on May 23, 2011 by dc

3.0 out of 5 stars I Liked the Cookbook, but it's Not Perfect
Published on June 18, 2011 by C. A Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful surprise!, May 23, 2011
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)

My 3 children convinced me to give some of the recipes a try. (Later I found out that my children had an ulterior motive. You see, they were tired of eating Asian food all the time.) They each picked out several recipes and we tried one or two a week. What a pleasant surprise we all soon discovered!

Our family never really liked lasagna since it was always too heavy whenever we ordered it. We also don't eat alot of dairy products. My family loves the 'Chock Full O Veggies Lasagna' with bechmael sauce. It has the right balance of creaminess to it without it being too dense and heavy. Even the grandparents, who would never touch lasagna before, love it too.

Another favorite is the 'Piping Hot Peanut Butter Soup'. The recipe title threw me off at first but my son who loves peanut butter insisted that we try making it. We can't get enough of this soup and you don't even realize there is peanut butter in it. As the recipe says the taste is hard to describe. This soup is truly delicious!

This cookbook includes so many ways to make a meal healthier and the recipes are loaded with lots of vegetables without hiding it. It has given me inspiration to venture outside my normal cooking and we continue to happily try new recipes each week ... and we haven't been disappointed yet. We even bought another copy that my daughter will be taking with her when she's away at college.

PROS:
* Simple and easy to follow recipes
* Loads of vegetables incorporated in each recipe
* Kid tested and mom approved recipes
* Packed with lots of tips for ingredient substitutions and picky eaters

CONS:
* The green teal sections with the same but bold font color can be hard to read sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a Busy, health-conscious mom like me!, October 26, 2010
Jennifer M. Ohlendorf (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
I got this book 2 weeks ago, and I've already made several recipes from here! They're healthy, tasty and easy to make. What more is there to say? I have 3 children 6 and under, and they ate everything I made--and they've picked a few more recipes out of the photo section they want to try! If you get this book and haven't checked out their website, blog, and podcast--you must do that immediately. I bring things I make from their first book to events all the time and get tons of complements. These Moms have made our life healthier--they can do it for you too!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Whine with Dinner - Sound Advice, Simple Recipes, February 23, 2011
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
No Whine with Dinner (don't you just love that title - it just makes me giggle!) is cookbook number two for the Meal Makeover Moms dietitian duo, Liz Weiss and Janice Bissex. Book one is The Mom's Guide to Meal Makeovers. This book, actually part cookbook and how-to sensible feeding guide for kids, has Janice and Liz's energy written all over it - from the front cover to the back page.

Liz and Janice, who are both moms of school-aged kids, whose joint mission is: to help busy families eat better. In all their efforts, including No Whine with Dinner, they get the time pressures and challenges moms (and dads) today are saddled with to feed kids healthfully day after day. There's no doubt about where this dietitian duo are coming from. They layout their premises upfront: "What we aim to present in No Whine with Dinner a whole new family food dynamic - one that fosters excitement and appreciation for fresh, nutritious food which gives children a choice and a voice in what's for dinner. We don't believe in `kid food'. (Amen, I couldn't agree more! Feeding kids this narrow list of foods we've come to call "kid-friendly foods" simply limits their palate and rich experiences with foods.) The Meal Makeover Moms also don't believe in this stealth health notion (sneaking in vegetables and other healthy ingredients). They prefer "subtle additions" of healthy ingredients. They realize that taste is king for kids (as well as adults).

No Whine with Dinner contains about 150 recipes. The book is divided into a logical flow from Morning Makeovers, to Lunch Box Winners, to Pasta and Pizza Favorites, to Sips and Smoothies and, of course, Dreamy Desserts.

A few new additions in this edition, all of the recipes are kid-tested, mom-approved. The last chapter offers 50 secrets from moms across the country to get picky eaters to try new foods. Plus they pack in tips for making enough for easy leftovers (simply a must for time efficiency today), simple substitutions and serving suggestions.

Kudos to Janice and Liz for getting book number 2, No Whine with Dinner on the market. It's another winner bound to help us busy parents more easily and sensibly feed our kids healthier. I just don't think enough parents (and grandparents and other kid care providers) realize how big a deal this close to home effort of raising our kids with healthy habits, really is!!

5.0 out of 5 stars another hit for the moms!, December 5, 2010
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
I have been a big fan of the "Moms" since their first book a few years back, so i have been anticipating this followup book and it has not disappointed. I make a lot of meals in the slow-cooker so was happy to see they dedicated a whole chapter to the Crockpot! Particular favorites are the "Mile High Spinach Lasagna" and the beef stew. Hurray for the moms! My kids are even enjoying going through the new cookbook with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Advice You Can Trust, May 6, 2011
TinaTheTraveler (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
At a time when anyone can be called an "expert," it's difficult to know who you can trust. This is especially true when it comes to health and nutrition. However, parents can rest easy if they own a copy of No Whine with Dinner written by two of the nation's most respected Registered Dietitians. Liz Weiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissez, MS, RD created an easy-to-use, easy-to-love cookbook featuring more than 150 recipes bound to win over the pickiest of tweens and teens. Who wouldn't be tempted by Oodles of Orzo Zucchini Bake or Polka Dot Squash Quinoa? Nearly all of the recipes feature ingredients that you have in your pantry; every recipe comes with a nutrient analysis, and the "Mom's Feedback" section at the end of each recipe includes a helpful tip, hint or creative serving idea. Brilliant! As a Registered Dietitian and author (The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet), I tend to look at nutrition, health and cookbooks with an extremely critical eye. No Whine with Dinner passed my scrutiny with flying colors! It's a book I'll buy for friends and recommend to clients. It's a must-have on every parents book shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Few pictures, great recipes, it's a trade off., November 3, 2011
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
There are few pictures in this cookbook and even fewer in color. Most are poor quality black and white photos. Nevertheless this cookbook has some great recipes. There's a pantry list and if you have any questions you can contact them at their website (mealmakeovermoms) and they'll get back with you.
The pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes were delicious. I had my doubts about the Peanut Butter Soup but it has become a family favorite. These ladies know what they're doing that's for sure. I loved the Luau Chicken with pineapple and carrots, it was a little bland so I made a salsa of jalapeno, pineapple, cilantro and onion and I rubbed the chicken with mustard first.
Most of their recipes call for using low-fat, low-sodium, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, etc. so you know you're getting nutritionally sound meals.
I wish there had been more serving suggestions or combinations with the other recipes to make complete meals. If you're familiar with Super Suppers Cookbook she has additional serving suggestions on each page that correspond with other recipes in the book. Maybe the next edition of this book, that could be added??
Overall, cookbook delivers on what it says, but the lack of pictures really hurts. The pages are matte so if you get splatters on them, they're staying. I would not give this as a gift, if you need a wedding gift get Betty Crocker Cookbook (Bridal Edition Betty Crocker Books).

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, January 4, 2014
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
I cannot say enough good about this book. I was desperate to get my 2 year old to eat something other than chicken nuggets and noodles but was skeptical that he would try any of these. He is very suspicious of new foods and anything that is made a little different. For example, a quesadilla with cheese is ok, but add anything in there and he freaks. So I was skeptical of the zucchini quesadilla recipe but tried it. He ate 3 slices. I have cooked something from this book for breakfast and dinner for the past two weeks. He has eaten every recipe except one or two.

Some of the reviews say that the changes are too basic and everyone knows them, but I had no idea how to make regular dishes into something he would enjoy. Every dish is made to cater to children with strict tastes, so I know something won't taste weird or too strong. We have also enjoyed the recipes, so I don't have to make two different meals.

Another good point: Alot of the recipes use the same ingredients, so I just needed to stock my pantry and fridge with some staples instead of having to buy new ingredients for each recipe. I also like comments from moms about how to change up the recipes, which is one downside to paper cookbooks - not being able to read the comments on how people have changed ingredients.

My only complaint is that in the past two weeks, I have spent a huge amount of time in the kitchen. It seems like these recipes are very time consuming, even though there will be a comment about how quick they are. But if I need to chop a bunch of stuff and puree some other stuff, then assemble it, that takes time, which takes time away from being with my child who is too young to help for longer than a couple of minutes. I will have to do alot of prep at night when he is in bed in order to make it work for the long term.

However, I feel better than I have in a while from eating these meals, and I notice tantrums and snacking have decreased. I had never seen their blog but looked it up and found that all of these recipes and more are on their blog for free, so if you want to check them out before you buy the book, you can. Or you might just save your money and use the web, but I like having a cookbook in front of me versus a computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, March 3, 2011
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this cookbook. It is excellent. I love that the food is healthy, but not prohibitive or restricting. By using these recipes, I don't feel I'm depriving my sons of tasty food in favor of purely healthy food. The information above each recipe is very informative about the nutritional benefits of the ingredients. I consider myself fairly well-read on the subject of nutrition (but not an expert) and I learned a lot from those sections. My sons are picky about textures, and the fact that the authors of this book faced that same challenge with their own children went a long way for me. I made the granola bars, and pulsing the ingredients together in the food processor makde them much more appealing for my boys, but they still got all the nutrients from the ingredients without knowing they were really there! I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Liked the Cookbook, but it's Not Perfect, June 18, 2011
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
After reading the race reviews I quickly ordered this book looking for alternative ingredients for some common recipes. I was happy to find the recipes simple with suggested alternatives to make meals healthier, which has been my goal the last three years since having children. I liked how they included recipes from other mom bloggers in the back so you were introduced to other moms who had common beliefs and goals. However, for the price of the book, I wish there were more recipes and I was disappointed with the peanut butter and jelly recipe. A whole page was devoted to a quick paragraph on the recipe we all know and a suggested change to the bread to keep it healthy and add flavor. If the whole page has been devoted to 5 quick fixes/changes to common recipes, I would have been fine, but a whole page for 1 recipe did not impress me. However, I have used several recipes and have found the results yummy, but not fantastic (compared to other books written with a similar premise). I hope as I continue to try new recipes, I am not disappointed and can add some new flavors to our growing repertoire. If this is your first time trying some alternative/healthy changes to your dinner meals, then I think this book is a great way to start. Ciao

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these recipes!, February 9, 2011
This review is from: No Whine with Dinner (Paperback)
The Meal Makeover Moms help me make healthy, quick, nutritious meals for my family. I am always looking for healthy snack ideas that my picky kids (4 and 7) will like. A family favorite for us are the Chocolaty Pumpkin Bars. I use them for snacks and even a quick grab-and-go breakfast. The best part, my kids ask for them. I can feel good knowing my kids are eating something that's good for them.