Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 11, 2003
I thought this was really well written for kids to understand. The illustrations are also very nice and decorative. This story would let little kids know what happened with the big flood in a short, easily understandable way. This is also a new version too. There are other versions out there in children's books that tell the story about Noah's Ark. But in my opinion, this beats all the other ones by far. The text is pretty descriptive. This helps so that little children can understand and picture the story easier in their minds. The story also illustrates how strong Noah's faith had to be to go and build an ark and all. The story sets a prime example of how everyone's faith should be. Noah didn't quit building the ark, he had faith and continued his mission from God.
on April 19, 2010
This is a faithful interpretation of the biblical story, rendered in breathtaking watercolor paintings which earned this book a Caldecott Honor in 2003. If I were forced to choose one version of the story, I would probably choose Peter Spier's, but Pinkney provides an original, memorable perspective, allowing the youngest readers to experience the dramatic grandeur of this story. I especially appreciate a striking images of whales, sharks and fish swimming through the submerged human cities.

The text does take a few artistic liberties -- there is greater emphasis on humanity's failure to steward the planet than our failure to live a life pleasing to God -- but this is a rather minor matter, and the great strength of this book is its masterful artwork. An outstanding addition to any child's library.
on December 28, 2012
Bought this book for my almost 4-year old for Hanukkah. I read all the reviews of the various Noah books and chose this one because of the illustrations and message (emphasizing the need to treat the Earth and others well, without emphasizing the harsh nature of the Flood).

The illustrations are gorgeous and so detailed that they draw both me and my daughters in -- we spend lots of time picking out each animal and discussing all the "action" on each page. Noah's family is also presented in a very close, almost cozy way, working together and showing how they interacted with the animals on the Ark.

This book will never be as "catchy" or popular as some of our other books because it's a more serious subject matter, but for a Biblical story, it is a beautiful addition to our library that we will read for many years to come.
on October 27, 2013
I chose this book as a Christmas gift for grand child because I love everything illustrated by Jerry Pickney, an African American artist. Mr. Pickney's illustrations are beautiful, rich and detailed. He has won many awards including the Caldecott Medal. Through Amazon, I actually bought five different books, written and/or illustrated by Mr. Pinkney. He was in a nearby town recently for a museum showing of his other artistic works. I was able to get all of the books autographed. I am sure that all of the grand kids will love them, share them and cherish them..
on September 23, 2013
I bought tickets to see Noah at the Sight and Sound theater in Lancaster, PA. I planned to take my granddaughter who was four years old. I found this book on Amazon and her parents read it to her several times before the play. That foundation insured that she knew the story and she really enjoyed the entire production. She even knew what was going to happen next and was very proud of herself. Without the book, I do not think she would have enjoyed the show as much as she did. The illustrations are works of art.
on September 6, 2008
I have given this book to two new parents at a shower with a personal note written inside. The illustrations are wonderful, and there are several decorating products utilizing the Noah's ark theme for nurseries that would be great as additional gifts. I am a personal fan of Jerry Pinkney, and as a former elementary media specialist, find this a very well-done children's book with which to begin a library for a special child. B. Gail Smith
on January 16, 2007
This is a wonderful illustrated book about the biblical tale of Noah's Ark. When the rest of the world laughed because Noah followed God's orders to build an ark.... he was saved from the washing cleanse of the flood. A\A wonderful reminder of why to follow the Divine Plan.
on April 29, 2012
This is a great book with beautiful artwork. I especially like the ark being built with a double page rendition of the ark's framework, giving small children the visual of the enormity of its size.
on January 31, 2011
This is a book that captures the imagination of my children. The illustrations are beautiful and lead to a joyful reading of this classic Biblical tale.
on June 9, 2013
most beautiful illustrations! a joy and a family keeper.everyone in church has raved about this book. great gift. thank you for this bargain.