5.0 out of 5 stars An objective look at our society

2.0 out of 5 stars Rambling and Deception
Published 1 month ago by Enigma

5.0 out of 5 stars An objective look at our society, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Noam Chomsky - Crisis And Hope: Theirs And Ours (DVD)
This video is not for people who think there is only "good about America, capitalism and the free market," but for people who realize that true patriotism requires gauging with clear eyes the distance between our aspirations as a society and our reality. Sorry for the welter of ill-formed metaphors, but Noam Chomsky is the well-polished mirror we need to perform the self examination for cancer that will increase our chances of survival. Not for children, though may be part of growing up. Highly recommended. And who formulated this moronic list of "Tag Suggestions" on Amazon: "propaganda, marxism, diatribe, christian zionism, evangelical, christianity, zionism, justice"? Only "justice" has the slightest bearing on Chomsky's discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars If this makes you mad........., December 4, 2011
This review is from: Noam Chomsky - Crisis And Hope: Theirs And Ours (DVD)
If this makes movie makes you mad at Dr. Chomsky- you are the problem. If this movie makes you mad at our past and current actions - you are the solution. See it and find out which you are.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rambling and Deception, December 14, 2014
Enigma "Cheers" (Constantly Moving) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noam Chomsky - Crisis And Hope: Theirs And Ours (DVD)
Not good for many reasons. First off this was supposed to be about the 2008 financial collapse (crisis) and what we could do to fix it (hope) but it never really discussed either of these issues. Instead Noam would casually mention the crisis and then go on a rant about Nigeria’s Natural Gas fields or political turmoil in Haiti. In the end the audience looked bored and someone lost and I must admit that my wandered quite a bit as I tried to wallow thru the disconnected points. To help a new viewer out I would suggest you skip the first 16 minutes, unless you like hearing Amy Goodman prattling on and on and on. My review will start with comments from Noam.

Noam starts off his talk with a bold faced lie about the Wiwa V Royal Dutch Shell Co., claiming that the evidence was strong and incontrovertible. This is false, the only evidence was the words of two men who had already lied under oath numerous times and were now claiming something other than what they had initially claimed and swore was true. Neither side disputed that they had lied or changed their stories numerous times but WiWa’s attorneys were proclaiming that this time they were telling the truth. The only reason Shell settled this case was because of the expense and poor publicity they would receive from it. So they settled it in a very public open settlement by setting up a fund to help the Ogoni People. I think any reasonable person realizes that if Shell would have been found guilty they would have lost 200+ million dollars, so when they settled out of court for 15 million it shows just how weak the prosecuting attorneys knew there case was. Shame on Noam for starting his speech with a big fat lie.

The next startling and glaringly false claim by Noam in the film is that 30-40 million people in the US are facing death by starvation. After doing an in depth search of death by starvation in America I was hard pressed to find more than a few each year. They were usually children starved to death on purpose by their parents and there were a few cases of people with Anorexia Nervosa that died. I think I am very safe in saying that actually amount of people who starve to death in the US each year is less than 20. The sad part is Noam makes specious claims like this every time he talks and no one seems to stand up and ask for proof but that’s because Noam only talks in echo chambers of likeminded individuals. He refuses to debate anyone and turns down speaking engagements when there is a possibility of moderates challenging his far flung claims. Because Noam has been doing this for so long he has gotten bolder in his age issuing forth proclamations that are undeniably false but he knows his audience is either to ignorant or to cult-like to challenge their leader.

Noam then goes on to talk about Haiti and gives a made-up-history that bears little resemblance to reality. For example Noam claims that it was America, Bush in Particular, that overthrew Jean-Bertrand Aristide and installed a military government, but there is ZERO evidence for this. In fact America put sanctions against the military government immediately and in 1994 American forces went into Haiti under the “Operation Uphold Democracy” and peacefully removed the military dictators and restored Jean-Bertrand Aristide as president. That is history and easily verifiable, Noam’s story is nothing more than a fable he made up in his head. But once again nobody challenges his falsehoods.

Chomsky continues his tirade on Haiti, proclaiming that Reagan, Bush I and Bush II harmed this country. No mention of Clinton who was the only president who stopped ALL aid to Haiti and no mention of Bush II Aid’s package which was the most generous in history. Also Chomsky forgets to mention that American has given over 15 Billion dollars to this nation in last 30 years or approximately $ 15,000 for every Haitian citizen. Haiti has received more money per citizen than any other country yet Noam claims not enough I done. And let us compare this to international aid which amount to a paltry 41 million to Haiti and I would say that America should be given an award as the Humanitarian Aid Champion of Haiti. However Noam, in his hate everything American, doesn’t see it that way.

Noam then doubles down on the lies and proclaims that the 2008 food crisis in Haiti was done at the behest of America’s rice producers. There is once again ZERO evidence for this. The rice crisis was mostly to blame on India and Vietnam governments (not the producers Noam, the government) restricting rice exports which caused an unprecedented worldwide shortage. Remember the US also saw skyrocketing rice prices and some types of rice were almost impossible to find. Let’s not forget that the stratospheric rise in oil costs played a small contributing factor too. The second food crisis in 2008 also had nothing to do with the US as Noam Claims. The fact was, Haiti was pummeled by storms in late august and early September 2008. These storms ( Tropical Storm Fay, Hurricane Gustav, Hurricane Hanna and Hurricane Ike) killed 331 people and decimated Haiti’s crops just before harvest. Noam is really relying on his audience to be clueless, let’s hope the Amazon audience is slightly more informed.

30 Minutes into the film Noam bring up the point that we (the US) are killing people in Nigeria because we are getting natural gas from them. This is another claim of his that is 100% opposite of the truth. This is from the Energy Information Administration: “The United States did NOT import any natural gas from Nigeria” [emphasis added]. Sorry folks but this guy will bold face lie about everything.

After this Noam began to ramble on without much focus, even the audience looked bored and I lost interest in copying down all of his inaccuracies. One thing though that did strike me odd, especially coming from a linguist professor, was his absolute loose use of language. For example he conflated constitutional republics and federal republicans with democracies. His use of the term climate change and man-made global warming as synonyms was also equally troublesome. I really would have expected more precision from a linguist.

Near the end Noam breaks down into far flung conspiracy theories. Maybe he is getting senile. According to his theory, the computer I am using to type this review isn’t something I needed or wanted to buy. Instead it was state/corporation conspiracy to destroy the planet that forced, through advertising, me to buy this machine. The same goes with my little sub-compact car, it’s all a conspiracy by government/corporation collusion to destroy the earth. It has nothing to do with the fact that I need the computer for my job or the car to get to that job. No, no, no, that’s what the nefarious “they” want me to think I need, once I agree with them I will willingly go into debt (which “they” also want) and they get to destroy the planet (which is what they really want). Pluuuuuuueaseeeeee, this is just kookiness.

BTW do you know why you take an airplane from New York to Los Angeles instead of a train? According to Noam it’s because the defense industry in collusion with government denies you a choice of taking a train, instead they force the airplane or interstate system on you in order to rape and pillage the earth and use up all of its resources as quickly as possible. Perhaps Noam has never heard of Amtrak or the fact that it loses money every year because more people “choose” to fly or drive. Or maybe Noam thinks we aren’t really choosing this and instead have been co-opted by the government fluoridation program and corporations beaming us subliminal message through the air.

But it gets even stranger, Noam says that corporations, by their very design, thrive at wasting energy and at the same time do all they can to stop efficient options. Really?????? Let’s see I bought my car because it gets over 35 MPG, my laptop can be used on battery power for 7 hours because it’s highly efficient. LED light bulbs are the rage, solar is everywhere, electric cars are in use, heck I was in Europe and rented a Twizy, an all-electric car while I was there. The fact is people buy what makes sense for them. A rancher who needs a big truck for his work is not really worried about gas mileage and a gaming enthusiast doesn’t care about power consumption of his ultimate gaming platform. There is no conspiracy as Noam wants to claim and it’s disturbing to see all of his devotees lapping up his crazy theories.

This was close to the end and I was tired from my trip to crazy land. I understand that there is a small audience for the like of pseudo-intellectual Chomsky. There will always be low-information people who need to be led and will believe anything, the sad part is he once was a professor who inculcated the young and uninformed with his claptrap, who knows if they ever did any research on their own before they became to intellectualized lobotomized to think for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there still hope?, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Noam Chomsky - Crisis And Hope: Theirs And Ours (DVD)
This is an interview with Noam Chomsky about current political events and economical situations around the globe.
It is good to see an intellectual who still stays positive about all the negative things going on in the world today so Is there hope? yes

Noam Chomsky - Crisis And Hope: Theirs And Ours