Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Noble Beginnings: A Jack Noble Thriller (Jack Noble #1)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 18, 2012
This New novel by L.T. Ryan is about Jack Noble and his best friend, and fellow Marine, Bear.
It is a story that takes place BEFORE the Noble Intentions Series...
Again, Ryan does an Excellent job with the Writing and Characterization and Plotting and So On!
It's a Fast-Paced Novel, and much More than a War Story!
I don't wanna give away anything, So I'll just Suggest you read it!
For those that have Read the Main Series Already, It is a Great Background that explains where Jack Noble came from...
IF you haven't Read ANY of the Noble Stories, then I suggest you read them this way:
The Recruit (Short Story)
Noble Beginnings (Novel)
Noble Intentions: Season One (Episodes 1-5 Complete)
That way they'll be chronological for those New to Jack Noble...
Either Way, This is One of The Best Damn Series I've Had the Pleasure to read!
Now, I'm just waiting for Season Two to start...
Thanks, Mr. Ryan!
44 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2014
This book was bad for a number of different reasons.

1. The main character, Jack Noble, continually mouths off to his superior officers, MPs, interrogators, and many others. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but the things he's saying are immature. I just have trouble believing that a highly trained Marine and CIA operative would stoop to such a level.

2. This book is attempting to be a realistic military book with regards to weapons and tactics. In the beginning, it even goes so far as to point out that they are using M-16 A3s instead of A4s. However, when this is stated, the author writes that the M-16 A3 has several different fire modes including semi-automatic and single shot. Now, this can be taken two ways. Either the author is saying that there is a fire mode on the M-16 that requires the charging handle to be pulled back for each shot (there isn't), or he is using two different names for the same function (Semi-automatic). If this were done at different places in the book, it wouldn't be an issue, but here it's within a few words. That is just shoddy writing! This one stuck out to me because it is just a few pages into the book. The author is making an error while shoving how "real" this book is in our faces.

3. Jack Noble is released from prison, despite the fact that he is being accused of murder, assaults several people while in the prison, and gets into a fight with two MPs. I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that any CO on the planet could get a man released from prison after that.

4. We are asked to accept things that we are never told. By this I mean we are asked to assume that things have happened without seeing them happen. For instance, in one scene we are told that Jack draws his pistol. Now, out of context that seems fine -- but he draws the pistol when he should not have one in the first place! He has just been on a commercial flight and been in military prison. While it is stated that he is given a bag of weapons, we are never told that he opened the bag and are just asked to assume that he just has a pistol for some reason. It seems like lazy writing to me.

5. The plot makes little sense. Why would the government need to frame two marines for a murder, when it is explicitly stated that they could easily kill the Marines themselves and get away with it? Why would they be able to kill two Marines (who have a lot more documentation as to their whereabouts than the actual victims), but not be able to murder a random Iraqi family without repercussions?

6. The sentence structure is choppy and disjointed. Overall, this style is very hard to read.

I didn't even finish the book. It just wasn't worth the effort.
on February 15, 2013
Noble Beginnings: A Jack Noble Novel
I only made it through 21% of this book. The story is disjointed. The characters are unprofessional, unlikable and not believable. The way they are treated while under arrest by the CIA doesn't make any sense. The way Jack runs off at the mouth is very immature he sounds like a preteen. I expected him to say "I know I am but what are you?"
VINE VOICEon February 1, 2013
Trying to read this book was just painful. The sentence structure is horrible with short and choppy being the predominant format. It reads as if it was written as an 8th grade creative writing project and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where all these glowing reviews come from. Possibly one of the worse books I've attempted to read this year and in the interest of full disclosure, could not get more than thirty pages into it before it just became too painful to continue. Fortunately, the price was right at free because I would have been sorely disappointed if I had actually paid for this mess.
99 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
This was the first book that I have read by L.T. Ryan, but it won't be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed Noble and Bear. They were killers on a mission, and ones with a heart as well. I loved their comradeship. It was an action packed, keep you reading to the end type of story. Strong believable characters, and a story line with a punch. All I can say is look out Lee Child and Reacher, it looks as if you have competition.
on January 7, 2014
Ryan appears to have written this book as a"bait" book - to get you into this series and then sell you his Kindle chapter books. If you have any knowledge of Marine training or Special Operations you will spend the entire book going "what the *#?" If the author has any military experience it was gained in junior ROTC. Stay away from this story line and his kindle chapter books.
on August 29, 2013
This is not worth the time it takes to read it. I recently read an old John LeCarre novel and there is no comparison to this. Marginal writing, poor character development, unrealistic situation where the main character is demolished in a fight, and a couple of hours later is completely recovered. In a word, Ridiculous.
on February 11, 2013
My thirteen year old grandson writes just like this. Definitely not a Baldachi , Grisham or Jeffery Archer. Lots of action .
on August 6, 2015
Very entertaining fast paced thriller about two Marine Corps boots recruited out of basic training at Parris Island to participate in joint Marine Corps/CIA Special Operations Unit during the Iraq war. Refusing to participate in an unsanctioned murder of an Iraqi family, Jack Noble and his sidekick Bear, are arrested and returned to the brig at Camp LeJuenne, NC by rogue CIA agents intent on framing the two Marines for the murder. They get released but are hunted by parties unknown for mysterious reasons. Jack and the Bear fight back in a desperate attempt to find the truth of the conspiracy and clear their names. My military thriller reading GR friends will very much enjoy reading how these two well drawn characters confront overwhelming odds to not only survive but find who set them up and why.
on May 26, 2014
I had a tough time liking Jack in this first book of the Jack Noble series. If I hadn't already read further into the series about Jack, I doubt I would have wanted to after reading the first book. But, as I had, I have now read 6 books in the series and l look forward to the next one.
I recommend these books by L.T. Ryan to all readers who like Thrillers. You may or may not like Jack all the time, but you will like the characters who surround him, such as Bear. The books are definitely worth the time spent reading them. I am well into the series now and look forward to the next book. I sit down to read and generally read the whole book in one, sometimes two days. Give them a try, you will like them