Published on November 16, 2008 by Midwest Book Review

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this based on previous reviews...
Published 7 months ago by KSBass

5.0 out of 5 stars Directly addresses a very common psychological problem among both kids and adults - the compulsion to be perfect, November 16, 2008
Though written for young people ages 8-12 (grades 3-6), Nobody's Perfect: A Story for Children About Perfectionism is more than a storybook; it directly addresses a very common psychological problem among both kids and adults - the compulsion to be perfect. Young Sally Sanders feels like a failure if she can't be the best; as a result she procrastinates, avoids new experiences, and relentlessly compares herself to other. Her teachers and mother try to help her overcome her inferiority complex, and she gradually learns the fun of relaxing and trying out new things without worrying so much about being the best. "Sally was surprised to hear her mom say that it was important to work hard and have fun... 'But I might not be any good at soccer,' Sally added. It was the real reason she didn't sign up. She felt embarrassed to admit that she might not be good at something... 'That's okay,' Mrs. Sanders assured her. 'Imagine all the fun you'll miss if you let that stop you.'" The thoughtful handling of an important real-life issue makes Nobody's Perfect highly recommended, and an absolute must-have for children's grade school and public library collections. Nobody's Perfect is also available in a paperback edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6 year old likes this one!, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Nobody's Perfect: A Story for Children About Perfectionism (Paperback)
I'm trying to subtly get my kindergartener to loosen up and enjoy life as she can be a bit uptight. She is a perfectionist, and also shy. {Or should I say shy, but also a perfectionist. Which is more perfect?} Anyway, I pulled the book out of the box and she asked what it was. I order from Amazon way too often so my kids know it is usually something fun for them. So I had about 10 minutes before an appt. and decided to start reading it. I wasn't sure how it would go since it's a chapter book. We read one chapter and she asked me to read another. We read until the appt. and as soon as we got home she snuggled up to me and asked that I read the rest of the book. She enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Start to Dealing With Perfectionism, February 10, 2009
This book does a good job of defining extreme perfectionism in a short, confortable story. The main character is hard for kids to relate to because she is an extreme example, but the book is a good start to understanding what perfectionism is. We followed it with the book What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough: The Real Deal on Perfectionism: A Guide For Kids which goes further to give kids strategies for dealing with their issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Examples, September 15, 2011
This book provided many examples for children who have a perfectionism. What I loved most about this book is that it shows how perfectionism affects the main characters relationships. For instance, one story in the book relates to a volley ball game that the main character plays with others. The main character is focused on winning and not on having fun. In turn, it affects her relationships with her peers!! This book has helped my child with this issues. My child and I continue to read this book together and explore and discuss the issues presented in each story!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT BOOK! Pardon the pun, but it is fantastic!, January 12, 2013
Our Daughter is 8 and suffers from a Neurological Disorder that causes, the same effects in the brain and as presented, with Bipolar Disorder, and various anxiety disorders under OCD. Feeling like she needs to do everything perfect, or not at all, getting frustrated and crumpling things up; describes some symptoms she needed help with!

This book really helped her to understand on a level, and in a way Children can relate too. She felt like everything was alright, and everything didn't need to be perfect afterall. She wouldn't so easily accept this realization from Adults, or Therapy, the book was perfect!

Lots of ongoing improvement has been noted since!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good reading for a child that needs everything perfect, July 19, 2013
This message is well told and is easy to read and internalize for a 6 year old or older. My daugher quotes parts of this book back to me - and to herself when she is obsessed with perfectionism. I recommend the book if this is an issue you want to address with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the message!, July 18, 2013
Love the book, got it for my granddaughter. She seems excited that we will be reading it together.
Going to help make a great summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conversation starter, February 23, 2013
C. Frederick "bigswell" (St. Croix United States Virgin Islands) - See all my reviews
This is a great little book to help kids understand performance anxiety and perfectionism. I read it to a five year old and she has asked to read it several times. The main character is sympathetic but the author allows her to be quite imperfect, which is quite unusual in most media for the heroine! Sally is no Snow White. Not every chapter is tied up neatly, and the reader is given plenty of room to draw his or her own conclusions.

We found this book very helpful, and very unusual. The illustrations are excellent at expressing emotions. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Type A?, February 28, 2013
Connie Marolt (Park City, Utah USA) - See all my reviews
Hopefully this will offer helpful hints on children who are pleasers and want to do their very best. Cant hurt!

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this based on previous reviews..., December 14, 2013
....and Im disappointed. Unless you plan to sit down and read this with your child in one sitting, there is a lot of disappointment ahead. I started reading this to my 4 year old perfectionist daughter the day we got it in the mail. I was really hoping it would help her realize that EVERYONE makes mistakes, and its okay to lose/come in 2nd/have messy handwriting/etc.
We read a chapter a night before bed and then talk about it, and it seems as though the situations Sally is dealing with are A) a bit over my 4 yr old's head. Not so much that I cant explain it to her level, but enough that it requires extra topics on top of the anxiety I was trying to address with this book. And B) Sally's (the main character) feelings of frustration continue to mount as the book goes on. So she doesnt exactly get the whole "nobody is perfect" message until the very end of the book. Even though there are great opportunities for her to learn along the way.
The chapters are short and the pictures are okay. We will get to the deeper issue at hand, but it will have to wait til the end of the book. Not a bad book, but definitely for a 3rd, 4th, 5th grade audience.

Nobody's Perfect: A Story for Children About Perfectionism
Nobody's Perfect: A Story for Children About Perfectionism by Ellen Flanagan Burns (Paperback - August 15, 2008)
$9.95 $8.95