5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing case for an amazing phone.
Published 18 months ago by bryssa

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: Not As Advertised
Published 15 months ago by Nabil Abou-harb

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing case for an amazing phone., February 28, 2013
While the Lumia 920 is often portrayed as being a nearly indestructible tank of a device, in reality it can be quite easy to cause superficial damage but simply not notice it. The polycarbonate shell is amazing at hiding micro-scratches unless put under direct light and examined closely - I was genuinely shocked to notice a mere week after owning it that the glossy red back looked like it had been dragged across cement once I reflected light off of it. I still don't know how it got so scratched up.

I realized pretty quick that I needed a case or sleeve or something to prevent it from being damaged further. I picked out a lovely suede sleeve to temporarily protect it and started researching what cases were available, how protective they were, and how expensive they were. For the most part I was pretty disappointed by what I found.

Lumia 920 cases tend to fall into two categories: 1) Cheap hastily made plastic that don't even fit the phone properly or 2.) Extremely expensive hand crafted leather cases. There are exceptions of course, but none of them were very appealing to me personally (the Otterbox cases are over the top and make the phone huge, the Incipio cases didn't fit properly with the curved glass front and none of the colors were appealing, etc). While the leather cases were indeed beautiful, I wasn't keen on the idea of paying more for the case than I paid for the phone itself.

The sad truth is that as brilliant of a phone as the 920 is the accessory market is pretty niche, with most preferring to cater to Apple or Samsung device owners. It sucks, but that's the market.

Then I stumbled across reviews for Nokia's previous gel case for the Lumia 900. Reviews were universally positive and praised the build quality and fit and, victory!, they were indeed going to come out with new cases for the 920. Unfortunately, they were backordered for months. The price was certainly right though so I took the chance and trusted in Nokia's build quality. Considering at the time of this review these cases are still listed as taking months to get in stock, is the wait worth it?

Abso-friggin'-lutely.

The case fits like a glove. At first glance and use you don't even notice that there's a case at all, it simply looks like a matte red 920 instead of the normal glossy variety. I still can't get over how perfectly the case fits, even around the curved edges that touch the glass. It is also much, much easier to grip the phone with the case as opposed to the normal slippery gloss, with very little added weight to the phone itself.

It also adds very little bulk, especially compared to some of the other cases I tried and returned (the Trident Aegis was nearly Otterbox huge, it felt like I was holding a walkie talkie!). This means a truly catastrophic drop won't be as protected compared to other cases but at that point superficial damage is probably the least of your concerns.

The richness of the case's color deserves a special note. If the red case is any indication fellow owners of the brightly colored varieties of the 920 will be very very pleased. The benefit of the case being straight from Nokia is that the colors are perfect matches to the phones themselves, so you're not covering up the eye catching shades of yellow, cyan, or red in order to protect it. Envious black or white owners can also dress their 920 up and pretend those colors weren't sold out for so long as well. I admit that I'm tempted to nab a yellow and cyan just for a change of pace in the future.

There are a few downsides to this case but they're all fairly minor.

Obviously this case won't protect the front glass from a fall or particles in your pocket but it also doesn't offer any additional protection when the phone is placed face down. Many cases like this are designed to elevate the device a bit so the glass isn't flush with the surface but Nokia went in a different direction. The 920 has beautiful curved glass that flows into the rounded polycarbonate body seamlessly when you brush across the screen, with this case that refined design is upheld. While it doesn't feel quite as smooth with the case the illusion of being a seamless device remains the same. Whether this is a negative or positive is up to personal preference.

The physical buttons can also be harder to press. The 920's buttons are raised away from the phone and make it easy to brush your thumb along the side and blindly find and press what you're looking for. While the case does have recessed spots for them, the buttons become nearly flush to the side of the device. The buttons still depress smoothly but that tactile feel has been lost. This is likely a tradeoff for the case not being bulky as making the case any thinner around the buttons would make it too flimsy.

Due to the excellent fit it can actually be a bit difficult to get the phone out of the case once it's on. I've found that starting at the middle of the top or bottom and gently prying one corner out at a time is the best way to do so. Compounding that, the sim tray wasn't given a cut out. This is more of a minor nitpick by itself but if you're someone that swaps sim cards often it'll be a pain to constantly remove the case to do so.

For $12 there isn't a case on the market that can compete with this build quality and fit, so those downsides are pretty easy to overlook.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: Not As Advertised, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Nokia 02733P4 CC-1043 Cover for Lumia 920 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I don't know what happened, but the cases that Amazon is now shipping are not the Nokia CC-1043's that we've all known to love and enjoy. They are shipping cheap knock-offs. I've notified Amazon and they are looking into it - but please do not buy these unless you love the questions: "What? What?!? I can't hear you! You sound muffled! Am I on speaker phone? Hello?!?".

I purchased a Nokia CC-1043 cover from another retailer and received the phone case in hard plastic Nokia packaging. The case is absolutely beautiful and you can barely tell there's a case on the phone. The colors match amazingly and all your calls come out crystal clear.

I decided to buy some more for my mother (and get some different colors to boot) and saw that Amazon had the best price for them. I bought three of them. A black, a yellow, and a cyan. (Mom has the cyan and I have the yellow)

What I received in the mail was three cases in cheap plastic bags. No retail packaging what-so-ever and a card-board cut out of a Windows Phone 7 device with big numbers printed over it: 820.The cardboard cutout isn't even a Nokia device.

I pulled the cases out and they do, indeed fit the phone really well, just like the ones I've known to love, however, the craftmanship is horrible. The case isn't one piece, but you can see the seams where the top and bottom must have been smashed together. The case was greasy and had fingerprints on it, and the plastic on the bottom of the phone wasn't even cut correctly (there were extra plastic tidbits on the bottom of the phone that you'd have to cut off with an exacto knife).

The yellow case and cyan case don't even match the phone's colors. The yellow case is a dark mustard color and the cyan is a darker blue than the phone itself.

Best part about these fake Nokia cases? The cut outs aren't even the same!!!

There is no cut out for the microphone on the top of the phone so none of your calls come out clear. There is now a new cutout for the SIM card. Personally, I hardly ever take the SIM card out, but I know a few people who would be very happy with that addition. There are no cutouts for the volume, power, and camera buttons, and to top it all off, there are new cutouts for the screws on the bottom of the phone. That's right. You heard me correctly. THE SCREWS. Seriously?!? Do you know a single Nokia Lumia 920 user that needs easy access to the screws?!? I'd really like to meet the product designer who made that design decision. (He should be fired)

When you put one of these cases on your phone, they look like poop. I called Amazon about this and they were convinced I got sent the wrong the cases. They sent me replacements. Those came in today and they were the exact same thing. Either something is wrong with Amazon's labeling at the warehouse OR Nokia has hired a new cheap as hell company to take over construction of their cases. Whatever the case may be (pun intended) these cases are terrible and I do not recommend them.

I hope they get this sorted out because I really want to buy the proper Nokia cases that we've all grown to love.

-Nabil

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a fraud !, May 29, 2013
As some other reviewers did, I received a very bad quality imitation.

The product I received is NOT the Nokia case that is being advertised. I received a case that is very badly cut, without cuts for the buttons and the upper microphone, and with lots of extra plastic at the bottom which could even harm your finger if you are not careful.

I don't like the case at all, and I'm not happy at all.

I have been a victim of fraud.

UPDATE 30/05/2013:
I contacted Amazon customer service and got a prompt reply apologizing for the inconvenience and offering a refund. Don't hesitate to let them know about this issue, if you received the wrong product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Gel Case!, January 15, 2013
Much like the CC-1037 for the Nokia Lumia 900, the CC-1043 is a perfect gel case that is designed to SNUGLY wrap around the device and offer maximum protection while adding little to no bulk to the device itself. While it's not going to offer the amount of protection of an Otterbox or extreme case, the CC-1043 does an amazing job of protecting the device from everyday wear and tear, and as well as the occasional drop. The case fits up perfectly up to each of the buttons, with the openings of the buttons being almost flush with their faces. The face of the device is protected by the raised lip that bumps right up against the screen, allowing you to place the phone face down and not worrying about screen becoming scratched up. The case is a bit of a job to get on at first, but becomes easier as time goes on. Overall, it's an incredible gel case. Most people who have held my phone with the cover on, have not even noticed the case itself. A must purchase for ANY Lumia 920 owner!

1.0 out of 5 stars Color not as displayed, May 8, 2013
I purchased the yellow one for my yellow Lumia 920 and the yellow color of the case that arrived here is not even close to the picture shown. The yellow color is hideous and unfortunately I purchased 2. I am just going to throw them away. If you are looking for yellow and expect it to match your yellow Nokia Lumia 920 - or look like the picture shown... don't bother. The yellow case that arrived here is a deep yellow, more like mustard and it makes it look cheap because the color is so ugly. Now this review is not about quality - the quality appears to be fine (but I haven't tested as it is too ugly to use) it also arrived on time. But I do believe the picture of yellow is beyond misleading. The picture they used is the standard picture for the Nokia CC-1043 yellow case but what arrived here did not have the Nokia packaging - if this was from Nokia it should have the same packaging that says "Nokia" which I have Googled and seen.

They are telling you it looks like this: (click on the yellow one)

But the color you are getting looks exactly like this one:

I saw that case and didn't buy it due to the yellow color not being right.

I feel totally ripped off - thank goodness it wasn't much money. But still not right in my opinion... Hopefully this will warn others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yellow case is OFFICIAL., December 7, 2013
Ordered the CC-1043 (yellow) case and I can confirm that it was the official product and NOT the knock-off that was being shipped earlier this year to some customers. Amazon definitely corrected this problem and now sends you the official one in it's Nokia packaging. That is of course if you buy directly from them and not third party sellers. The case is great as It has the cutouts where they need to be and the color matches the phone casing 100%. Of course I can only speak about the yellow one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the BEST case for your 920, January 28, 2013
poddie (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This case takes advantage of the fact that Nokia has all exact dimensions for the device and its button/port placement. They have manufactured this case so that the edges come exactly up to the screen edge, making it look like there is not even a case in place. The buttons are also an exact and tight fit. The only way to tell it is in a case are the openings at the top and bottom for the headphone/mic/speakers/USB port. These will obviously reveal it's true nature if examined closely, but they are so nicely cut that nobody will ever notice.

I have tried many of the knockoff cases and sokme of them are quite tol;erable, but this one is simply in a class all by itself.

Also note that this DOES have a cutout for the small secondary microphone holes on the top of the phone, unlike many of the third party cases that cover these up.

Put simply, there is just no way this case could be made any better or more attractive. Simply perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, wish it had slightly elevated sides, January 5, 2014
Fits great, people don't believe there's a case (looks just like the phone). I do wish the edges were slightly taller so that the phone could sit face down with no glass/screen protector contact. Overall, I like it much better than my old bulky case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, genuine NOKIA cover, December 5, 2013
Bought two covers, Yellow and Cyan. The quality is great and they fit perfectly. Does not have the shiny rubbery feel that you get from the other covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, nice color options, slim fit!, November 28, 2013
I have three of these on our various Lumia's and love them! There is only one drawback, if you work in a dusty or dirty environment the fine stuff will get between the case and the phone and wear into that pretty finish on the phone. Take it of occasionally and blow or rinse the dust out and you'll prevent that.

Rate and Discover Movies