Published 14 months ago by Leroy

3.0 out of 5 stars Phone itself is nice. Very large, but nice. Operating system overall doesn't have a lot of life in it.
The hardware itself is nice. Simple bright red on black with a simple design is very good looking.
The operating system runs smoothly all the time which is nice. From previous time with android and ios systems, I know they don't always perform consistently
The start screen, with how flexible it can be customized, looks really nice as well.
The screen itself...
Published 24 days ago by Ken-G

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT PHONE TO REPLACE YOUR IPHONE WITH APPS YOU WILL ACTUALLY USE, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Very large hi resolution display. Walked out of the store and handed it to my grandson in the backseat of my car. He logged right into Netflix and was watching Hunger Games in stereo, 1080P in seconds on 4G network. AT&T Locker App has 50GB offer right now. Nokia has coupon for $20 of Apps. Only drawback is it takes a few hours to set the phone up to the way YOU want it. But, Apple doesn't give you that kind of choice. Once you customize it is is a big surprise what this phone does for you. Almost everything is automatic and very intuitive. But it lets the Geek use the phone the way they prefer. Integrates completely with a Windows 8 PC. Lots of apps are available and more seem to be coming everyday. I enjoy this phone much more than I ever did any Apple product AND I can add memory, AND it has a USB port. SO, I guess I am not considered too stupid to use this product by the manufacturer. Good bye IPhone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Technology, limited apps, Bing button very irritating, December 2, 2013
C (NEW YORK, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I preordered the 1520 because of the chip, screen and camera. This is my first Windows phone since the HTC Tilt which was top of the line when purchased. My previous phone was Android. I chose this over the Samsung Note 3 because I preferred the better camera to the S pen.
The good
The phone is speedy and easy to use: The screen is beautiful! I have not really put the camera through its paces, but I took a couple of test shots of my laptop keyboard in dim light and every speck of dust showed! This bodes very well for the camera.
I had no trouble downloading Skype (which works on wifi!), Kindle, Audible , Google, Tune in Radio and Netflix. They work almost as well as on my Kindle Fire HD. I hope that Amazon will develop a full set of apps for all platforms.
It did not take long to set up ( similar to Android in many ways).I added a 32G SDHC card I had lying around the house. When (and if ) it gets full, I will upgrade to 64G. It may seem strange in this day and age, but I appreciate the FM radio which uses a speaker cable or headset cable as an antenna. My kitchen is a dead zone for Wifi and until I can solve the problem, the radio is a plus. It also saves data usage on the street at times.
The challenges
First of all when I hold the phone in my left hand, my fourth finger sits right on the on/off/sleep button and I have put it into sleep mode on several occasions. As a quick fix for my very small hands I tried to turn it upside down (with the headset port on the bottom), but even with the screen unlocked, I could not make that happen. I can get landscape mode in either direction, but only portrait mode one way, unlike my android devices.
Since I am not a heavy app user, I did not do my app homework very well. I found that Barnes and Noble had not developed a Nook app for the Windows phone (yet?) Also Pulse News is missing from the app store, although Fuse is not too bad as a substitute. Acorntv has not developed an app for any device. It would be nice if a Windows phone would play Flash.

Addendum:21 Dec

I have now taken off one star because of the Bing "button." It is both unnecessary and too sensitive. Too many times while holding the phone, my finger has brushed it by accident and the Bing Search screen appeared and shut off whatever I was doing. It could be just because my hands are small, but if I could I would disable the button so I could have the real estate at that corner. I would rather have Bing as an icon/app (or not at all). I am going to the Att help center tomorrow to see what can be done although I doubt there is a fix.

I was promised a free case from Microsoft but they were out when I picked up my phone. I will also go over the the Microsoft store tomorrow to pick one up. I have not had cases on my other smartphones, only on tablets. A downside of the 1520 is the limited number of cases available. No really nice leather options.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY big phone, lots to love!, December 12, 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is really big. I really love it but I do feel a little self conscious pulling it out of my pocket to answer a call. I can fit it in my pockets of both my dress slacks for work and my jeans. I carry it in the left hip pocket and it fits well and does not bother me when I sit down.

Having said that about the size, the other side of it is that the screen is awesome. Reading articles, watching videos and even texting are so cool on the big screen.

Other reviews have gone into great detail so I will keep it pretty high level here. I upgraded from the Samsung Focus, a first Generation Windows Phone 7. The operation of WP8 is great. It has all the things I love about WP but has added more features as well. The quad-core processor is really fast and makes taking multiple pictures in a row work rather quickly with very little lag time (I read a review of the Lumia 1020 that said it takes about 6 seconds to load between shots). The updated Nokia Camera app is really cool. It allows for a lot of manual settings if you want to play with your shots and be more creative. Using more than one of the features will slow down your set up time but it does allow you great control over your exposure which I really like. It will likely take just a little practice to get very proficient with these manual settings.

The Nokia apps are some of the best apps on this phone and they come standard. Nokia Radio allows you to create a playlist (similar to creating a radio station on Pandora) and then download the playlist so that you can play it offline. I now have playlists that I can listen to at the gym without having to stream music and use all my data. I removed most of the AT&T apps because the Nokia apps do the same things even better.

I am really enjoying this phone. If they offered the same phone in a 5 inch screen I likely would have gotten that one instead, but having such a big screen has a lot of benefits too. I haven't even touched my Kindle Fire since I go this phone because it operates as my tablet now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Both worlds., December 12, 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Let me start by saying this phone is amazing.This is my 6th windows phone in a span of 1 year. I keep phone maximum for 3 months and sell it with good value. Earlier i had Lumia 1020 which is amazing phone too. I was in market for a mini ipad.Then i came across this phone . So i thought why not buy Lumia 1520 which can be used as a mini tablet and phone.I have no regrets in buying this phone. Below is my experience with this phone.

Form Factor: Yes phone is little big. As this is a phablet category, the size is expected.We cant have a SUV's room in a compact car. So the benefits of large screen is obvious. Also at the same time there will be some inconvinience.

Both Hands: Yes most times you need to use both hands. For instance, you cant use back button without using 2nd hand. But i got used to it.After couple weeks ownership , i dont feel this as a inconvinience any more. It matters most in a CAR where you need to handle the phone single handed. So all the time i mount my phone and i can use single hand.

Screen: Screen is great and retina. But if you use phone screen without any protector then the screen is very slippery.

Camera: Didnt test much but looks as good as lumia 1020 with less zoom.

Slim. This phone is very slim when compared to lumia 1020. there is no bulge on the back so it sits flat.I se phone for movies at gym. Lumia 1020's camera bulge was always a chalange at gym. As 1520 sits flat, it is more secure.

Speed: I dont think i see much speed improvement over 1020. Though it is quad core ,system still takes time to repsond on certain apps.I believe the speed has to do with particular apps then the phones hardware.When i switched to 1520 ,i thought some lagging in 1020 will be gone in 1520/. but certains apps still lagg.

Lanyard: I miss Lanyard of lumia 1020 in this phablet. As this is a big phone, Nokia must have Lanyard option. To remedy this, i added my own . I used incipio air case and added Lanyard to the speaker grill. It works great as the case is strong.

Speakers:It is almost same as lumia 1020 speaker with 10-15% improvement in volume. The clarity is same. Both speakers are great. Ear piece could be louder. I dont know but Nokia Lumia series suffers with low ear piece volume.

Red Lumia. Red is slippery as every one suggested. Incipio case took care of it.

Tiles: Extra column for tiles is a plus. Now one can see more information without moving the screen.

Side Keys: Side keys are too flat. It is quite difficult to find volume keys and lock keys .It could be better like lumia 1020.

Phone in public: Yes it is eye catching. It doesnt look good if you talk on this phablet in public. But who cares.when Iphone first came, it looked too BIG. but it has become new NORM now. So people will get used to it as phablets become more popular.Also it keep you out of crowd.

Pocket: It easily slides into pocket. In my formals and jeans i have no issue in sliding the phone. It fits and doesnt pop out of pocket. As it is slim, the extra length doesnt bother me.

Wireless charging. I am really mad on ATT on removing wireless charging from this phone. Hell with the technology and standards. IF they care too much then why did they sell qi wireless chargers. Now that every one got one qi wireless chargers they removed this from phone.ATT ------ in this regard.

battery: Awesome. It has very good battery life.It is almost twice that of lumia 1020. I tested battery by turning on everything.Even though the location was turned on, the battery drain was not significant. I believe if location is not used by any app then system turns it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an AVID iphone user and former Windows 7 Lumia 920, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
First I will say that windows 8 is AMAZING. I had the Nokia Lumia 920 and likes a lot of the personalization features but it lacked my Pandora, pinterest, myfitnesspal, Spotify, and other apps I use daily so I went back to IPhone.

NOW, Onto the Lumia 1520. I had the IPhone 4S. I liked a lot about my iphone but was bored. Seems like since Steve Jobs passing...theres nothing awing about new phones 5, 5c and 5s. Same ol Same ol EXCEPT now...a lot of my apps are always crashing. My wifi isn't that strong in my room, my front camera quit...and it's almost the same as the first iPhone. A lot of good changes but not very many customization features for me. Plus with apple products...EVERYTHING costs.

BEFORE PURCHASE: I decided to get Nokia Lumia 1520 BECAUSE

1. Supposedly had many of the apps that I previously could not get on my old Nokia
2. More customization with Windows 8
3. Beautiful Big Screen Like a Tablet
4. Amazing Camera by Carl Zeiss
5. Mostly...Side by Side comparison that I did with IPhone 5c, 5s and Lumia 1020.
(if you can do this side by side comparison which I did on AT&T...I would do it because it answers a lot of questions and made my decision 100%)
6. Ability to Expand storage with the miniSD port
7. Ability to get phone in yellow. It was a hard decision between yellow and red because they are both beautifully vibrant but I went with yellow because I love the brighter.

UNBOXING:
Amazed by color brightness, screen brightness, size and beautiful camera.

In the first few days I learned a few more awesome things

1. the Lumia now does SnapShot and if you are or have been an iPhone user this is awesome.
2. There is a driving mode you can set up with a Bluetooth device to avoid wrecks. No touching phone while driving.
3. Some of the apps that were previously said not to be on the windows phones were now there. In face the only thing I do not have that I used a lot was weight watchers...they just have a rinkidink calculator but im sure that will update.
4. I can trim videos.
5. The live tiles are awesome.

Apps that I use a lot that are available that on some reviews were said not to be

Pinterest
Allrecipes
Netflix
Pandora
MyFitnessPal
App folder (to organize all your apps like IPhone)
FREE RINGTONES...NO MORE PAYING FOR THAT CRAP
KidsCorner
Wallet to store credit cards
Run the Map
Runtastic
Vine
YouTubeHD

I have had this less than a week so I know I will learn more and I will rereview or add to it but my current Conclusion is

If you are looking to upgrade and thinking about trying something new...better camera...more customization with out sacrificing simplicity...live tiles...mostly free apps...free ringtones...driving mode...no sacrificing your current apps, free office, ability to back up on skydrive and at&t locker....find your phone...ANNNND SOOO MUCH MORE...

SWITCH! You wont regret it.

Things to know:
1. This phone is huge...6 inches. I LOVE IT...some do not. I can see everything beautifully.
2. Get a CASE! SERIOUSLY This phone is very slippery on the back. You need some kind of protection and grip to prevent dropping it or if you do to help protect from the fall. *Be carefully applying tight cases...do not press hard on display screen because you can easily distort color on display screen*
3. GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR...I recommend armor brand. They have lifetime warranty and less than 10 bucks with amazon free prime shipping.
4. If you want smaller phone..you might try Nokia Lumia 1020...better camera and smaller but lacks some of the specs 1520 has. Do side by side comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got to play with a Nokia Lumia 1520 over past few days and it has blown me away. I have used so many phones/OS that I am fascinated by the diversity of ecosystem. I have used HTC Titan, some previous Lumia series and past Windows Mobile series. After dabbling with iOS, webOS, WM, I have settled on a Android as a primary phone. Nokia Lumia series is elegantly designed. The 1520 is just gorgeous.

I am interested in the specs of Lumia from following parameters. phone: size, weight, resolution, ppi, RAM, ext Storage, camera, CPU, USA SAR rating

Nokia Lumia 1520: 6.41 x 3.36 x 0.34 in, 209gm, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 6.0 in, 367 ppi, 2 GB RAM, microSD up to 64 GB, 20 MP/1.2MP, Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 CPU Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400, SAR: 0.59 W/kg (head), 0.24 W/kg (body)

In my opinion, following are key specs to consider. Most of others are standard or does not matter at all. First size,weight and resolution are part of look and feel. RAM/CPU part of performance. external Storage is part of expandability. Camera is obvious! SAR (Specific Absorption Rating) is an often ignored, but I feel essential to making a buying choice. Manufacturers don’t advertize or mention SAR prominently.

The things that pop out is the screen size and the external storage capability. Obviously weight is a downside. The windows phone 8 operating system has matured to a large extent and most of common apps are available. It does still lag its distant cousins iOS and Android. But Nokia has given a splendid hardware. My experience of using camera (one of the best cameras in the smartphone and a key differentiator), navigation, reading articles, books, listening to music, watching videos were flawless. I highly recommend to anyone interested in windows platform. This phone is something to definitely checkout!

As for a comparative analysis I have laid the specs of other top 2014 phones. I am sticker to useful specs and I find following spec will help you decide the best phone for your use case.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Intl version): 5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 in, 130 gm, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 in, 441 ppi, 2 GB RAM, microSD, up to 64 GB, 13 MP/2MP, Exynos 5 Octa 5410 CPU, Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7, 0.85 W/kg (head), 1.55 W/kg (body)

LG G2: 5.45 x 2.79 x 0.35 in, 143 gm, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 in, 424 ppi, 2 GB RAM, no ext Storage, 13 MP/2.1 MP, Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800, Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400, 0.50 W/kg (head), 0.69 W/kg (body)

HTC One: 5.41 x 2.69 x 0.37 in, 143 gm, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.7 in, 469 ppi, 2 GB RAM, no ext Storage, 4 MP/2.1MP, Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600, Quad-core 1.7 GHz Krait 300, 0.66 W/kg (head), 0.40 W/kg (body)

Google Nexus 5: 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 in, 130 gm, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.95 in, 445 ppi, 2 GB RAM, no ext Storage, 8 MP/1.3 MP, Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800, Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400, 0.92 W/kg (head), 1.23 W/kg (body)

Apple iPhone 5S: 4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in, 112gm, 640 x 1136 pixels, 4.0 in, 326 ppi, 1 GB RAM, no ext storage, 8 MP/1.2 MP, Apple A7, Dual-core 1.3 GHz Cyclone (ARM v8-based), 1.12 W/kg (head), 1.18 W/kg (body)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9000: 5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 in, 168 gm, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.7 in, 386 ppi, 3 GB RAM, micro SD upto 64 GB, 13 MP/2MP, Exynos 5 Octa 5420, Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7, SAR: 0.24 W/kg (head), 0.72 W/kg (body)

Motorola Moto G: 5.11 x 2.59 x 0.46 in, 143 gm, 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.5 in, 326 ppi, 1 GB RAM, no ext storage, 5 MP/1.3 MP, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400, Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7, SAR: 1.17 W/kg (head), 1.06 W/kg (body)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen, most of the big app makers now on this platform, February 4, 2014
Theduck71 (Lenexa, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Great phone, and great platform (Moving from a HTC One, great phone) I just wanted to move to a new device. The screen size is phenomenal. That being said, it can also may be a draw back for some. It does not fit well in a front pocket, but if you can get past that, you will not have any issues. Call quality is good, I have not heard any issues with it thus far. I have had not signal issues with it. Speaker is loud, but coming from the HTC One, it lacks definition. (Hard to compete with the only phone that has two forward facing speakers. Very smooth implantation of Windows, the camera app is excellent. I have only taken a few pictures so far, but they have all come out excellent. (Also moving from the 4 UltraPixel camera (Which was very very good at taking pictures) I look forward to capturing more detail. I have two Windows 8.1 tablets, and a desktop and a laptop all running Windows 8.1, so I have full immersion in this OS. I am looking forward to see how well I like everything being on the same platform.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone with pleasant surprises, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I think Windows Phone 8 and the beautiful large screen really got me to upgrade. This phone has enough of it for me to use it for at least a couple years. It's beautiful, catchy, bright. The screen is great, it takes great photos, the battery life is one of the best on the market. Nokia maps are extremely good, they have everything I need and want. The phone is a "good deal;" not too expensive. I also like the apps for it, Office, Skydrive are there without installs, and my own personal favorite apps, Netflix, Instagram no frills or shills. FM radio, all contacts sync'ed instantly, although I wish my favorites did too. The time displays softly. No glitches whatsoever, durable Nokia build. Pleasant phone to use and have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust Nokia and MS on this one, its a quad-core PC + smartphone, pure awesome, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've tried Android which is glitchy, while never used Apple to stay away from the bandwagon. From the start since i first used Lumia 900, never considered any other smartphone. WP8 is very user friendly, live tiles are awesome, never slows down plus the camera on this phone alone will knock out any iPhone or Android, Samsung phone out there, Nokia camera phones are the best out there in the market, its worth every pennies you paid for. you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's really fun getting your screen to be exactly how you like ..., August 5, 2014
Novel Living (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520, Red 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Second Windows Phone, upgraded from Lumia 900. The 6 inch screen is a little daunting at first but you get over it quickly and you soon find all other screens pitiful and small. I was deciding between large and thin, or smaller and thicker (there is another lumia with comparable specs but smaller screen/thicker. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head). I went for the large and thin. It's a pleasure to hold.

With such a large real estate for pins, it's really fun getting your screen to be exactly how you like it. With the new 8.1 update this phone just got (faster than all other windows phones, I might add), you can make your pins have one unified background picture. Like a puzzle made out of pin pieces. Hard to explain but cool once you see it.

Windows Phone OS is underrated. You can really glance at your phone and determine whether or not you need to actually pick it up. You can read your latest text right on the screen. See your friends' pictures scroll throughout the phone. All the apps you actually use and need are available. This phone has been perfect for my needs. I love having separate email pins: one for work, one for my spam account.

If you can't decide if a windows phone is right for you, find out what apps you really use and see if the marketplace has it.