4.0 out of 5 stars Nokia Lumia 620 not your average phoner
Think about a Nokia Lumia and the first thing that comes to mind is a `Windows' Phone, lack of apps and no popularity.
Let me bust this myth for you. As a user of the brilliant Nokia Lumia 620, I will say that this phone is an absolute gem.

Published 12 months ago by barbie nemeth

3.0 out of 5 stars good phone but was sent a European charger
Published 17 months ago by Vikash

4.0 out of 5 stars Nokia Lumia 620 not your average phoner, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 620 Black Factory Unlocked Smartphone (Unlocked Phone)

I have been using this phone for over 4 months now and will rate its performance and value for money above both its android and Apple counterparts.

I mainly use this phone for making calls, instant messaging/messaging, internet, music and maps.

Let me breakdown the review for you to construe the the analysis conveniently --

Design: The 620 has a screen size of 3.7 inches which is perfect for a phone, as it gives you the liberty of manoeuvring on the whole screen with the help of just one thumb, something which a Samsung Note won't give you.

The display is great and crisp for a phone of this price.

The 3.5 mm jack and USB outlet is pretty standard.

The UI is fantastic, intuitive, interactive and absolutely classy. THe live tiles means you don't always have to launch the App. Also, it is different from the standard menu systems that other OS's offer. The tile design gives you the freedom to prioritize your applications by resizing them and ordering them, in quite an easy manner. Plus it is simple, colourful and so easy to use. The transitions are fluid and unlike any other OS out there.

The phone's built is solid with a thick back cover and a strong glass. I have dropped the phone at least 10 times during my experience and not once has it needed fixing. It is rugged, compact and quite heavy duty.

Performance: The phone works like clockwork 97% of the time, which is a lot, if you compare it to the lags and errors you encounter in Android or even the fabled iOS.

The whole OS is integrated with the hardware giving seamless perrformance for a 1Ghz processor. The RAM of 512 mb is more than sufficient and handles many tasks without any issues. I have simultaneously used maps, whatsapp, music, internet applications and it has worked just fine.

The networking of the phone is very good too, with the internet working smoothly and messages being delivered instantly.

The phone has not hung once in my experience, and while it has undergone a bit of lag, just press the side button, and the whole system will revitalise without losing any running tasks or apps.

Battery: With 1350 mah worth of battery, you would think it is quite less, but that is not so.

As I mentioned earlier, the whole system is integrated tightly and this means that the battery life is more than good for the performance it delivers.

I mainly listen to music constantly, surf the internet periodically, use whatsapp every 10 minutes and use maps for directions. The battery easily lasts for a whole day. Enable battery saver and you will see that the battery life increases 3 folds.

Still, the usage of 3G affects the battery life, and that is true for every phone. However regular usage with 3G will last you a day easily.

Camera: The 5 mp shooter is the best you can get in this price range. It gives you crystal clear clarity, and is quite better than many point and shoot cameras out there.

Morevoer you can adjust the ISO, Exposure a and such technical details too. Also it gives 720p HD video shooting.

Apps: The main aspect of this phone is the Apps. It is widespread that Windows store does not sport many apps. True, it does not have as many apps as its counterparts, but it has all the essential and regular apps under its belt, and that too comes with a better quality.

While the likes of Android store is riddled with crappy apps that are no good, Windows store is much more streamlined. It offers you good quality apps with a uniform UI base, which means you don't need a tutorial for using them.

All the regular games like Temple Run, Angry Birds, Jetpack Joyride, Where's my water, Cut the rope etc are covered by the app market.

The absence of Instagram is not really an issue since Windows store has Instagram clients like Instance and much more.

IM/Messaging apps like Whatsapp, VIber, Skype are present too.

The HERE maps/drive/citylens feature is terrific and gives you all you need on the go.

The utility section is also covered with all the essentials.

The apps can be downloaded from the phone directly or from your PC/Mac/Laptop and can be installed in the phone without any additional suite or hassles.

Pros:

- Best phone in it's price range; - Great, tough build+Design; - Great App store; - Seamless integration; - Excellent Camera; - Good Battery life.

Cons:

- Not many to mention, but the default music player has a shortcoming i.e. difficulty in creating a playlist

All in all, a superb phone at this cost, a clear winner and a memorable device to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exeeds every expectation, March 28, 2013
This phone is the best value for your buck. Runs like a charm, Windows Phone 8 is wonderful and it DOES have the quality and quantity of apps, don't fall for the anti Microsoft hype. The vendor shipped it on time and I had no trouble with the delivery. All in all, one of the best buys I have ever made, on anything!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia 620 review, August 9, 2013
Software:

These days there are three choices of operating system: Apple's iOS, Google's Android, and Microsoft's Windows Phone 8. Apple phones are overpriced so the competition for this phone should be Android. Windows Phone 8 is a very good system for some people, but not for everyone.
Pros: Slick and attractive interface, very easy to use, maintains good performance, stable, zero maintenance. Microsoft Office included.
Cons: Missing features that professionals and power users would appreciate. Not as many apps as Android and iOS although this it's not a big difference any more.

WP8 is tightly managed compared to Android. It is much easier to understand and navigate, and runs much more smoothly, but is less customizable and versatile. Microsoft went too far with locking the system down and it's basically not possible to manage local user files on WP8 (same as iOS).

Overall I would say that WP is the best choice unless you are 1. a power user, or 2. just need to have all the apps your twitter friends are twittering about. I personally use Android as a power user, but put the rest of my family on WP (Nokia 620) and it was the right choice.

Nokia provides some software for free that you can get from the Windows Phone store. This includes good mapping software with downloadable maps, good for travelling.

Hardware:

The Nokia 620 is an excellent combination of hardware at this budget. The hardware is a very complete, balanced combination. It has a good processor and RAM without being excessive, front camera for video calls (e.g. Skype), NFC for future proofing, a microSD card slot. I found that GPS was very fast, much faster than any other phone or even dedicated GPS devices I have tried. Very good hardware for this budget which does not waste cost or power consumption on extraneous features. (Such as the current marketing gimmick of putting quad core processors in phones.)

The screen while not high end (it's a 480p non-IPS LCD screen) still looks good, and is sharp partly due to the screen size and partly due to Microsoft's subpixel font rendering. At a higher budget the main thing you can get in terms of hardware is a better screen (IPS or OLED, 720p on larger screens). It's a 3.8" screen, good for some, too small for others.

The phone is comfortable to hold and feels well built. My dad managed to dislodge the internal power button on his but it was fixed for free and he was probably pressing too hard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellente device., March 19, 2013
Jeickson Mendoza (San Cristobal, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This is a great Smartphone. Windows Phone Works excellent in this phone. Easy to use and fast. 3G bands 850/900/1900/2100. There is only one problem for latin american customers: This phone don't have spanish, you must use it in english.

3.0 out of 5 stars good phone but was sent a European charger, May 12, 2013
Vikash (Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
I was using a bigger nokia lumia 900 and decided to go for a smaller phone so I went for this one. I got the shipment timely. However I ran into one issue as the instruction manual did not have instructions on how to insert the SIM card took some time figuring it out. Once I got through that then I had no issues and I like the phone. Some people say that it looks like a cheap phone but I don't agree to it and I am happy with the overall experience.
One issue I would like to bring to notice is sometimes when a call is coming and I try to answer it the answer button on the screen does not respond. THe charger that was sent to me was a European charger which is not useful in US

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone and Price, June 16, 2013
Richard D.H. Cook (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Really nice phone and with the addition of a TMobile sim card ($100 per year for talk and text) this phone is a cheap way to get a smart phone.

I turned off the data and only use WiFi only and have no problems checking email and using web apps

The only draw back I have found is the lack of a radio, my wife's WinPhone has one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the phone, May 12, 2013
It is incredible phone, great audio quality, speaker phone is LOUD and wifi sensor works in my big house. Nokia sure knows how to make hardware. Same size as iPhone 4 (my wife has iPhone 4), but comes unlocked and for half the price. With Windows Phone gaining apps everyday, this is a steal at the price. 512 MB of RAM is great. Although I experience some freezes sometimes when too many apps are open, the phone is awesome including battery life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nokia Lumia 620 Black Factory Unlocked Smartphone, April 19, 2013
This phone is factory unlocked, unbranded.

I Installed a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 work great.

It comes with Battery, free hand earphone with microphone, data cable and charger with usb connector 110-220v. It needs micro sim, so I cut mine with scissors. I tested it in Argentina with Claro and everything works greats (3G network, internet, facebook, Skype, etc.)

It comes with 8MB for install applications, you can move pictures, music and videos to SD Card. Memory card is not integrated at OS as before versions, so you can remove this card without format your phone and you can read it in your pc. I preferred memory card integrated with OS because it give more security (In windows phone 7.8 if you lost your phone with code protected if someone removed sd card it cant be easy to read in a pc).

The UI in the new windows phone 8 version is not different from 7.8, some features are missing (as before versions). Writing is better and predictive.

Photo camera is great (as a phone) it not comes with Carl Zeiss lens. Battery last for a working day.

I bought it from HassleFreeCell...no problems, sealed box.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great device for the price! Not easy to get it to work out of the box, January 31, 2014
Now that I have this device working properly I am really enjoying it! Small, light weight and powerful. It really is a very nice phone for the price I paid ($180). Once I got it working I haven't been able to find any features that don't work on this device that work on the bigger phones. I also have Nokia Lumia 920 and 1020 devices that I still use. Really nice to be able to shed the bulk.

This device was shipped to me very quickly. The plastic bubble packaging was sliced open and the SIM holder was just floating around inside the package. I inspected all the pieces though and they seemed to be in good condition. Popped in my SIM card and a 32GB microSD card and the battery and powered it on. Although the packaging looked sketchy out of the box nothing appeared to have any physical damage and no pieces appeared to be missing.

Now, getting the device to connect to and use my US AT&T data plan was pretty challenging! I have written up my experience and the steps I followed on my blog. If you are a US AT&T customer you should take a look first if you really want the device to behave on par with the bigger Lumias on the US AT&T network. Here's the link:
[...]
Good luck. If you can get it working it really seems to be a great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amaizing phone!, April 15, 2013
I love this phone! It is compact, fits in my pocket, yet powerful and delivers a lot for the price. Get it unlockek and use it in US, has great downloadable Nokia maps, no need to pay for data plan to use it as GPS device. Just get it.

Update. The phone works great after two weeks of usage, updates are easy and sound quality is very good. Nokia GPS software is very good. The phone fits perfectly into a pocket and easy to hold - not too big and not too small.