on February 5, 2013
T Mobile has decided not to provide windows 7.8 update for this phone. Phone is ok otherwise. If you are ok with win 7.5 features it is a good buy.

I am giving one star. because t-mobile refused to support its customers with this key long awaited update, while all other carries & Nokia is providing his update.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Nokia Lumia 710 is a fully featured smartphone at a bargain basement price.

I've used iOS and Android on mobile handsets, but I personally prefer Windows Phone for my needs. The Lumia 710 matches up some pretty good hardware specs to go along with a Windows Phone experience that you'll find on any WP 7.5 handset. Other people have different needs, but the key points for me were MS Office, Xbox Live integration, and Zune functionality....all of which are on the Lumia 710. This Lumia (and all Windows Phone 7.5 and up models) sports true compatibility with MS Office as well as SkyDrive. I'm able to put together my lectures on Power Point on my computer, automatically upload to SkyDrive, and access the .ppt file at any time with my phone. This allows me to view and practice my lecture ahead of time on my small screen, but all of the functionality is there. Images are rendered correctly, and, this is key, animations all work as they're supposed to. Combine this with great Word and One Note sync'ing, and having a Windows Phone makes a lot of sense for me.

On to the hardware of this particular phone, though. The device is small by today's standards where Galaxy SIII's have giant 4.8" screens. But I find the 3.7" screen to work well with the 800 x 480 resolution, which provides a good pixel density at that size. The screen is a solid performer and has a good feel when typing on the on-screen keyboard. I prefer capacitive buttons on the bottom of my phone, but hitting the back arrow on the hardkey "button bar" does have a satisfying click to it. The device feels comfortable in your hand and it's extremely easy to reach all corners of the touchscreen with a thumb. The camera on the back is one of the best 5MP shooters I've seen on a phone, but again, it's only 5MP. This is obviously fine for most of your camera phone needs, but there are substantially better options out there for you on other phones if photography is your biggest concern. Unfortunately, with a budget phone comes the one omission--a front facing camera for video chat. Other than that, for the price, the hardware exceeds all expectations for me.

Since other people have outlined the Zune software and other aspects of this phone is great detail elsewhere, I'll just highlight a couple of the key advantages to owning this device. First, it's a T-mobile device with "4G" speeds. No, it's not LTE, but the T-mobile "4G" download speeds can hit 75% of Verizon LTE speeds. I've had great luck grabbing strong T-mobile signals and good download speeds in the areas I live and frequently travel. However, since it's on T-mobile, you can buy this phone outright for $299-$349 upfront without a contract and then get T-mobile's aggressively priced no-contract monthly plans that are a good $20-40 cheaper per month than the other Big 3 wireless networks. Do the math (include taxes!) and you'll probably find that you can save yourself a couple hundred dollars over the course of 24 months by going this route. Additionally, you can use the Nokia Internet Sharing feature to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot with the same plan.

The other key advantage to have this phone over other windows phones is the collection of Nokia centric apps. There are some apps that only work on Nokia's Windows Phone, such as ESPN's fantasy football app. However, the biggest advantage of this phone over ALL other phones, is the option to download the (free!) Nokia Drive app. This is ~2GB app that provides US maps for all the states and is arguably the best phone driving GPS app on the market. Google maps is good, but if your internet connection on the road is shady, it can take forever to re-route accurately. Additionally, only the latest Android versions of Google maps let you take a portion of the map offline. With Nokia Drive, it works perfectly offline and can re-route you much faster because it doesn't rely on an always-on internet connection. If you use your phone as a GPS a lot, I would argue that you would have to at least consider a Nokia Windows Phone. It's such a huge competition advantage, especially if you're driving on rural roads that don't have the best 3G or 4G signals.

Overall, I really like the Lumia 710. It's an outstanding budget smartphone for people who don't want to open their wallets, but still want to get a giant bucket of features. If you don't want to spend $199-300 for an on-contract ($599+ off contract) phone, I think you should at least consider what the Lumia 710 has to offer. Or if you want a valuable GPS phone, regardless of your budget, the Lumia could work for you too.
on July 7, 2012
The very first thing I noticed about this phone after one use is that it is hard to operate while it is laying on a desk. Not all of the time I want to physically pick my phone up to use it if I'm just checking a txt throughout my workday. Since it does not have a flat back, it makes it unstable to utilize in this manner.

The onscreen keyboard (like most: iphone, etc) is extremely horrible to use. I can't imagine trying to be productive on this phone. I guess if you like to watch media on your phone, I'm sure it would work good, but I actually need to use my phone to get stuff done (emails, txts, etc).

The third thing that really pisses me off about this phone is that when connected to the computer, it is not read as a drive, meaning that in order to get files to and from your phone, Microsoft has decided to put their crappy Zune software in the way of you and your file management. This sends me through the roof because the user should decide how to manage their content, NOT a third party software.

I will be returning this phone and going back to my Blackberry and will hold on to my Blackberry until the company is 100% out of business which may be sooner than later, but at least sending a typed message on a BB doesn't take 10 minutes. Now I know why texting and crashing has gone up in the U.S.: On-screen keyboards. Horrible, horrible, horrible.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 23, 2012
I was sent a Nokia Lumia 710 to review and I have spent the last few months using it. My first impression was that it felt light and easy to hold in my hand. I could easily talk on this phone for hours if needed. The initial setup was very easy to go through and within a few minutes I was ready to make calls. I've never used a Windows phone before so it took a few min. to learn where everything was located but Windows has done a great job of simplifying the user interface so you have quick and easy access to the apps you use the most. I found the phone to be quick and I didn't experience delays when navigating around. The touch sensitivity was sensitive enough that I didn't find myself pushing hard on the screen or having to redo motions because it didn't register. The phone has three main navigation buttons on the front; a back button, home button, and search button. I really like the back button as it works in all the apps and in navigating the Windows screens.

The Nokia comes with a HD lens for taking 5 Megapixel high quality photos and 720p video. In good light the photos and video come out great. The biggest grip is when working with limited light. The camera has a hard time focusing and figuring out the best saturation level to give you the best picture. It does have a built in flash which makes taking pictures in zero light still possible. Overall the camera is good enough for daily use.

The phone comes with some pre-installed apps. For example the social app called People is great because it organizes all your social media outlets (facebook, twitter, etc...) in one hub making it easy to get the latest information at the touch of a finger and without the need to browse different apps. My favorite app is the Nokia Drive, which is exclusive to the Nokia phone. Its easy to use interface gives you turn by turn directions which are easy to understand. Even in rural areas like Northern Idaho I found the maps to be detailed and up to date. The only issue I had with the phone was with finding and installing apps. There is a section called App Highlights but it only gives you access to a few of the most popular apps available. In order to access all the rest of them you need to use a computer to log into Microsofts App website to find and purchase apps. From there they are sent to your phone. I don't like that fact that a smartphone requires a separate computer in order to access all the available apps for it.

Overall the Nokia Lumia 710 is a well built and easy to use phone. Having a built in HD camera allows you to keep your purse/pockets free from having to carry around an additional device. Microsoft has done a good job with the Windows mobile OS giving users a great alternative to the Iphone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Heather - We're glad to hear you're enjoying your Nokia Lumia 710! With regards to you comment about finding and installing apps, you can access and download apps directly on your device (without using a computer). Tap on the Marketplace icon - it has a shopping bag image. Or you can find it under the app list. From there, you can search and download apps. Thanks! @NokiaCareUS
on April 17, 2012
Like this device very much, despite its low price it seems well build and feature-wise it is practically identical to its bigger brother, the Lumia 800. The WP is very smooth and snappy, and Facebook integration works better than in any other OS. Also the proprietary Nokia Apps are a big plus against other WP7 devices, especially the free turn-by-turn navigation.

Screen performs nicely in the sun, but viewing angles could be wider. Camera is only average, but I think that is excusable given the price of the device.

All in all a great buy, would definitely purchase again.
on April 12, 2012
Love it! Had to replace my beloved blackberry. Didn't think I would ever fall in love again. I am a pretty loyal phone owner. I was so surprised! This phone does it all. I even downloaded the piano app. Not sure why I will need it, but am so in love. Just went on a trip to Nevada, and we forgot to get the directions to the hotel. No worries, the adderess was all my phone needed to give us point by point directions, even though we didn't follow them exactly. This fact alone made the phone worth MY weight in gold. Gave us directions for local restaurants, weather. Just like having your own personal assistant. Can't wait to see what else it can do. Just be conscious of the battery life. It can get away from you. I now just turn the phone on if needed... Like it really SHOULD be used in the first place! Long live the Lumia!
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This phone surprised me. As a long time android owner and fan of androids, I really didn't expect to like the windows phone 7, but I did. A lot. While there aren't as many apps in the marketplace, this phones tight integration with facebook was a pleasant surprise - facebook chats show up in the same place as text messages, so there's no difference between sms and facebook chat, which is super convenient. Also, these phones are very responsive - no lag, they never bog down, and they never lock up. The camera quality is adequate, but seems to have a hard time focusing. Games play excellent with no slow down at all - angry birds, fruit ninja, etc. all play flawlessly for hours with no issues at all. Multitasking also works very smooth with no snags - you can just quickly pop out of one app into another, then pop back in with no hiccups - I like that too. Also, as a long time android user, I already had my calendar, mail and contacts set up with google, and surprisingly, these phones were able to sync with all that with no issues. The phone looks great - it doesn't look expensive, but it doesn't look cheap either. Another bonus, is the dedicate camera button that automatically launches the camera app when pushed - ve3ry convenient to pull it out, push the button and snap the picture. Overall, these phones are an excellent value, and since they are selling for much cheaper than most androids, then I's say this could be a legitimate option for those not wanting to shell out for high end androids, but who still want a zippy responsive smartphone with a decent screen size and resolution.
on May 21, 2012
Had this phone for a few weeks now after upgrading from 5-year-old Motorola Razr (ancient, I know).

I won't comment much about the Windows Phone OS, other than to say it is mostly excellent. The main thing I think is missing is the ability to sync and share to do lists. Yes, there are third party apps that do this, but it would be nice to have it built into the already excellent native calendar and todo app.
There aren't as many apps for Windows phone as Android or iOS, but the selection is growing quickly, so I don't think this will be an issue for long.

For the phone itself, build quality is excellent. It feels very solid and well made. The soft touch material on the back is very nice the the phone is just the right size for me - not to big or small, and not too thin. I've read complaints about the hardware buttons being too stiff, but I haven't had a problem with this, they feel just right to me. In fact, the hardware buttons are part of what attracted me to this phone as this is a rare feature these days.
The screen is beautiful with good color and resolution. Spec-wise, it doesn't match up with the high end Android phones or iPhone, but don't let that deter you -- it is an excellent screen. It's also larger (3.7" vs 3.5") than the iPhone screen.
This phone doesn't have a quad-core processor like every other Android phone these days, but it's plenty fast for me (though I don't play many games). Every day use is fine and very snappy, and actually faster than many other phones (thanks to the well-designed OS).
A nice feature is the real GPS that doesn't require a data connection. Maps are downloaded to the phone so you can use maps and navigation without a SIM card.
Since this is a phone, you might use it to make occasional phone calls. :) The call quality is good, I've had no problems.

A few downsides.
Battery life is not great. I get 1-1.5 days without charging, but I understand this is typical of smartphones.
No front facing camera. Not really an issue for me, but might be for others. The camera is good, but not great. Defiantly better than the 1 MP thing on my Razr.
Limited memory. Come on Nokia, couldn't you give us at least 16 gb? With 16 GB cards selling for $8 on Amazon, it could have been added quite cheaply. An expansion slot would have been even better, but I think that's a limitation with the current version of Windows Phone.

Overall, I really like the phone (and the Windows Phone OS). I highly recommend it.
on March 28, 2013
The phone is nice and cheap and I love using it but the Battery Life SUCKS big time. It doesnt even last 12 hrs and I need to keep it on charge if there is a plug point or am with my laptop. I won't recommend it to anyone because of the battery life.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2013
My original review is below. The last time the phone crashed I called T-Mobile and actually got someone to listen to me. I explained the problems and the customer service person made a few adjustments to how the phone communicates with their network, six weeks later and the phone has been perfect.

I bought my Nokia Lumia 710 from T-Mobile. The first one lasted 34 days and in the middle of calls would stop allowing you to hear the caller. Then you couldn't use it because you couldn't talk on it. T-Mobile replaced it and now 90 days in to the replacement, when I make calls it automatically beeps like the called line is busy. It also will allow me to send text messages but will not deliver them, sometimes it won't tell you this for as many as 12 hours. I love the Windows operating system but absolutly hate the phone because I have to reset it from 0 almost weekly right after I get everything set back up.

T-Mobile also will not honor warranty problems since this is the second one.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations