Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on November 21, 2012
Adding an update now that I have been using the phone for a couple of months solid. the bluetooth issues were completely resolved by the Microst update that came last month. bluetooth works great! battery life is still not great, but I have learned how to tweak some apps and just have a car charger with me, its workable, very, very happy with the phone. i strongly recommend it,

********
Bought the Lumia 820 after years as an iPhone user. I have been getting bored with iOS and its lack of major innovation, and Android just never felt right for me. I was excited about the prospects of Windows Phone 8, and for good reason.

The OS is very well done. Great layout, easy to personalize, and things just work well.

But... there are two major problems that I just cannot overlook with the Lumia 820 that keep it from being a great phone:

1. Battery life is totally hit or miss. Some days a full charge will last all day, some days a full charge will last four hours or less. I always keep Bluetooth (see issue 2) and WiFi off, and have absolutely no apps running in the background, and still the major fluctuation in battery life. This is not just me, Windows Phone forums are full of people with the same experience. Apparently there are some apps (most notably Nokia Drive (which I love, btw) continues to run even when there is no indication of it anywhere on the phone. What other apps are doing the same? Not sure.

2. The phone does not support all bluetooth profiles. Again, WP forums are packed with frustrated users who cannot use BT in their cars, some older (mine is 2007) and even some brand new. Also cannot consistently use BT with my Monster HD mini speaker. This is baffling that in todays world dominated by bluetooth use that Nokia/Microsoft did not include support of all BT profiles. Windows 7 phones reportedly did not have the problem, it is only the new generation. To their credit, Microsoft is working on the issue and has been very responsive of support requests. Nokia on the other hand immediately blamed the car manufacturers and told me to go to my dealer... ugh.

On the positive side though, there are plenty of great things:

1. The WP8 interface is fantastic.
2. The camera quality is outstanding, even if it does not have the same upgrades that the 920 does, quality is just fantastic on both pics and video.
3. Nokia apps are across the board very useful. Especially Nokia Drive and Nokia Music.
4, Office app integration! Word, PP and Excel and OneNote with included Sky Drive storage space.
5. Wireless charging (when the pods and cases finally come out, should be in the next week or two.
6. Voice recognition works very well, especially in conjunction with texting. Can have full text conversations without ever touching the phone, which comes in very handy.

Conclusion: Its so close to being an amazing phone! I contemplated returning it (today is my last day to do so at AT&T without major penalty), but decided to stick with it in hopes that MS will offer a fix for one of the two problems above. Overall, the positives are outweighing the negatives. I am at least a somewhat happy user of the Lumia 820, with hopes of it turning to a very happy user once updates come out. Such is the life of an early-adopter.

UPDATE: Bumped review up from 3 to 4 stars. The battery issue is for the most part resolved. Per Microsoft's suggestion, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Facebook and Skype apps and it made a huge difference in battery life of the phone. It is still not great, but I can survive the entire work day without charging, which is dramatic improvement over how bad it was. Also, I have been informed that an early 2012 there will be an over the air update that should include resolution to the bluetooth issues. Hopefully at that point I can get it up to five star review.
on December 5, 2012
I have used iOS and also Android. In fact, I just purchased a 3rd generation iPad and love it. I bought this windows phone because I was curious about the new operating system.

The phone itself is very well made. To me, it is a great size. not too big and not too small. It has very clean lines and easily fits into a pocket. The screen is very bright and easy to read. The viewing angles are awesome. I actually think they are better than the 920 when I compared them in the AT&T store.

The operating system is very cool to use. it's definitely a different experience than Android or iOS, but I believe a lot of people would really like it if they gave it a shot. Everything runs fast and smooth. It is a VERY easy operating system to get used to and enjoy.

I really like the Nokia included apps, especially the mix music feature. It's like Pandora, but you can download music for offline listening which I like. I also like podcasts and it is easy to find and subscribe to my favorites. There are plenty of apps out there to meet my needs. The game selection is pretty good.

I put a 32 GB micro SD card into the phone so I have plenty of storage. I also like that there is a removable battery in case I need a replacement.

All in all, I think it's a great phone and hopefully more people will give Windows Phone a shot.
on November 13, 2012
Love it. While the app selection is not as robust as android, I found plenty of alternatives for what I was missing. Especially with nokias extra apps. Will never go back to Android.
on November 21, 2012
The WP8 interface is fantastic.
on December 9, 2012
This is a great device, which I found to really exceed the reviews and attention it has received. I was originally hoping to get the Nokia 920, but it was not offered by Verizon. After a careful review of the specs between these two phones, I came to find that they are virtually identical with 4 main differences.

822 has over the 920: Removable battery (very important for me as I use my phone for tracking long bike rides and hikes using GPS and need to replace the battery) and Expandable Memory using a micro SD card.

920 has over 822: Improved screen (not really that noticeable side by side), image stabilization in the camera optics.

This phone does everything I want. The NFC (Near Field Communications) is great for sharing photos and contacts with a friend. Its very fast and snappy, and the Microsoft Windows 8 software really impressed me. Everything (settings, photos, videos, etc) syncs to my private web storage on Skydrive, so when I take a photo, I can easily access it via the web site. The integrated Microsoft office is also really a nice feature.

This phone is a great combo of quality hardware and well designed software. I'm really pleased with my switch from Android to Windows Phone 8.
on January 8, 2013
First off, I own this phone. No I did not buy it through Amazon, but I am also not just an "Apple fanboy" trolling the reviews. I have no particular love for Apple nor any other corporation. I'm not brand loyal on anything, I buy what I like.

With that out of the way, I will keep my comments about this particular phone short and sweet. There's no shortage of reviews around the web of both the features of this phone and of the Windows 8 OS, so I'm not getting into all that. I will say that personally I am very pleased with both WP8, as well as the Nokia Lumia 820 phone in terms of physical look and feel. What I do not like, and what is ultimately keeping me from recommending this phone however, is the inexcusably poor battery life. I am currently on my 3rd warranty replacement phone and 5th (!) warranty replacement battery through AT&T and I still cannot manage to get a simple 8-10 hours out of a full charge, even with minimal or no use of the phone. To give you an idea, if I unplug my Lumia 820 at 7:00am after charging all night, do not touch it at all during the day -- not even unlock it to check the time -- by roughly 8:00pm it will go into automatic shutdown due to a fully-drained battery. If I make even 2 or 3 calls during the day, or God forbid use the internet browser, it won't last past noon. And before you comment: Yes I have all the latest phone updates, no I do not have Facebook or Skype accounts, and I've never even played Angry Birds. I have done all the "tips and tricks" for long battery life and have had each of my warranted phones checked at the AT&T retail stores to ensure there weren't any apps running in the background draining the battery. There weren't.

So in conclusion, did I just happen to get a bad batch of batteries? Or maybe a bad batch of phones? Both? Doesn't matter, regardless of the possible cause(s) it wouldn't change the fact that this phone cannot be considered at all reliable for daily use, and therefore I do not recommend it.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2012
I was expecting to purchase the Nokia 920 (or the HTC 8X) but when my daughter purchased the Nokia 820 (because it was larger than her Focus Flash yet small enough for her pocket), I seriously considered getting one myself because I could install additional memory, it had replaceable backs, the camera was perfectly adequate for my needs and it had the same processor as the 920. After reading a few favorable reviews, I bought one and have been extremely satisfied with the phone having used it now for 2 weeks.
on January 30, 2015
Not to much of a downgrade as I thought.
I have a Nokia lumia 920 , but unfortunately the screen stopped working.
I wanted a windows phone that was under $100 and all i could find was this , the 635 ,630 , and 520 .
They all were really bad down grades every other windows phone under $100 is a 5 mp camera , which is bad in today's standards of a smartphone.
So when I saw this phone for only $49 used I was wondering what the catch was, i mean its almost identical to the 920 , the insides are exactly the same , so this phone is a fully functional flagship phone that can run windows phone 8.1 , and It has a 8.7 mega pixel camera , almost identical to the 920, the only down grade is that pure view tech isn't in this phone, but that really isn't so bad, i still get amazing photos , and videos on this phone. Picture attached was taken with the Nokia Lumia 820
Would recommend
review image
on October 4, 2014
I have had my lumia 820 for a little over a year now and I still love it. The only 2 complaints I have are 1)the battery on this device is inadequate, and it got worse after the 8.1 update. I am managing but it really gets on my nerves when I am out away from a place to get a charge. If I play a game or do some browsing because I am bored it can suck 30-40-50% in an hour or two, seriously! I have totally lost a charge in a just few hours with normal use (no games, light browsing to look up a phone number, checking emails and reading some news). Anyway it needs a bigger battery. And 2)which has nothing to do with the phone itself, is the frustration with finding specific apps and watching everyone shoot out apps for android and iphone while I stand there appless. I could mention a few companies here but I will be nice except for one which is going to be shocking! MS Money or a good app that can track accounts and bills and PAY bills too (MINT is only good enough-it lacks so much not to mention a nice UI)! I am 40-something, I dont have a phone just to text with my BFFs and play video games, I like real-world functionality which is why the live-tiles are so awesome. I will say thanks to a little company called PRIZM! They are small but working hard, it can track and pay your bills from your phone. A huge thank you to those companies who have invested in apps for the windows phone. I love the windows phone, the live tiles help out by SHOWING me something rather than constantly sending me alerts and beeps. Picture quality improved greatly with the 8.1 update, another complaint I had which is now resolved. Again- battery life (phone issue) and apps (microsoft issue). Other than that I will be hanging on to this phone and hoping the two major complaints I have resolve themselves (magically). The Calendar app in 8.1 is better but still sucks when it comes to customization and having real access to calendars from competitors like Google (hello?)!

And if you havent changed out the back cover for a wireless charger you are an infidel. It will totally change your life. And the 8.1 update allows you to have a smaller gig phone (mine is 4GB) add a large SD card (I added 32GB) and install apps to the sd card, as well as save pics and video and what-not to the sd card instead of the phone, preserving valuable phone space. That helped a lot too (another complaint that was resolved).

I still have the original screen, of course, I dont sit down with it in my back pocket. As far as I know the phone is still in pristine condition. I have kept a cover and a screen protector on it and it is still as nice as the first day I bought it and I use it constantly every day.
on June 3, 2016
I should have put my review here, rather than on another product page, as my phone is specifically an AT&T model.

After trying out a Lumia 520, I decided to upgrade to a higher level WP8 phone. I have been using my 520 as a media device with my primary phone being an Android. Although the 920, 1020 and 1520 seem to be excellent devices, what made me go with an 820 is that while it may not be the best at any particular feature, it has all the features that I'm looking for. I have the AT&T Deathstar version.

1. 4G LTE
2. At least 1 GB RAM
3. Replaceable battery
4. MicroSD slot expandable to 64 GB.
5. AMOLED screen
6. Glance
7. Wireless charging with a shell
8. Front Facing Camera
9. Camera Flash
10. Decent Camera with Carl Zeiss lens
11. Relatively low cost (I purchased mine used for $65)
12. Compass
13. Here+ vs. Here (although with the latest news, the 520 will get Here+)
14. Audio Equalizer. This has Dolby.
15. FM radio
16. Double tap to wake
17. NFC
18. Gyroscope

The screen is beautiful. I love AMOLED's. Glance is a great feature. Call quality is good. Fast web surfing. It feels solid in the hand. I think the 820 is currently the best all around WP8.1 phone. WP8.1 is a good, smooth, lag free phone OS. Sound is great through headphones (disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile and just listen to mp3's (obviously, not the highest quality recordings)). Speakerphone volume is decent. The only downside is the relatively poor app store. Very few Google apps, which I rely on.

The battery life so far is good enough for me. The camera, again, while not the latest Nokia masterpiece like the 41 MP on the 1020 or 20 MP on the Icon or 1520 takes decent pictures.

For the money the phone is a 5/5. Compared to other phones (high end included), it's more like a 4/5.

Update 4/23/14: I updated the OS the WP8.1 Preview for Developers. The phone is even more awesome with 3 columns, action center, and Cortana. So far, it's running well with WP8.1.

Update 7/27/14: I purchased a wireless charging shell and use it with a Nokia Fatboy DT-901 wireless charging plate. Wireless charging is sweet!!! I have also purchased a Sony SBH-52 bluetooth headset, which works great with the 820. The forward/back track buttons work with the Xbox music app, Pandora, and Cloud Muzik (Google Play client).

Update 6/3/16: I'm still enjoying this phone. Although WP10 isn't officially supported, I installed WP10 through the Windows Insider app. I use this device as a media device, rather than my primary phone. I put my music, recorded podcasts and radio shows on my microSD card. I have several low-cost Android phones as my primary phones. I'm disappointed that the Google Voice client, Metrotalk was taken off the Microsoft Store, and no longer works. It's a shame as that was a deal breaker for me using this as my main phone. Compared to any other WP phone on the market, this is the only one that has AMOLED, replaceable battery, wireless charging capability, NFC, double tap to wake, Glance, physical camera button. Of all the phones I have had, I've kept this the longest. My other Android phones (Nexus 5, Moto X 2014) have been sold. I've owned this for > 2 yrs.