5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect
Seriously, you cannot buy a better smartphone at this price. I purchased mine at my local corporate AT&T store for $99 during the pre-sale. I received the phone on Friday the 6th and as someone who has had Blackberry's, Windows Mobile (old versions), several Android devices and even tried an iPhone for a while, this is the best phone I have ever used.

The...
Published on April 8, 2012 by K. Struck

3.0 out of 5 stars Former Android and iPhone user. One of the best phones you haven't tried
I am a long time Android user and have had at least five Android phones including original Galaxy S, G2X and Galaxy S2. I would consider myself a power user having tried many custom roms including CyanogenMod, software mods, Voodoo Sound, and themes on my Android phones. Android is the best for those that love customizing their phones. You can customize pretty much...
Published on May 7, 2012 by audigy

‹ Previous | 110 11 1246 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone I Have Ever Owned, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Went from a gen one Iphone to a 3g, then to a Samsung Focus, lost the focus at a Mavricks game so i went into the store and lo and behold Nokia of all mother-loving companies has a new smartphone out. Having owned Nokia phones in the past quality of construction is guaranteed (the focus was cheap and plasticky). Picked it up right away (for free i might add) and never had any of the problems others are reporting. Still I applied the software update through zune (actually a really good software suite, another huge surprise) never can be too careful.

Best parts of the phone,
1) Design. I love the way this thing looks, i got the black version but the blue one really pops.
2)Speed. This phone is blazing fast ive never seen internet so fast on a phone before. Every app loads up really fast and youtube works like it never has before for me on a mobile
3) App ecosystem. The best apps are designed for Windows Phone 7 specifically, and when they are it really shows through in the unity of design. USA today app, Flixter, IGN, and IMDB are some of my favorites they look and work great. I finally found pandora on the phone as well, wpPandora works great (though i still hope for official support)
4) Battery life. Thats to be expected with such a fricken huge battery on this thing, my old focus would die after just a few hours of heavy use, don't even get me started on the anemic original 3g iphone. This mamma jamma can go all dang day without needing a wall socket.
5) I was worried if the phone was going to be as well supported as the Iphone, but nokia and MS having come out with a software fix and offering a 100 dollar credit less than a week after the phone launched was the deal sealer for me. If they are willing to admit immediately that there is a problem and then FIX IT a company has my support.(unlike apple and its grip of death B.S.)
But this phone BEFORE the 21st of april and you essentially get it for FREE. Its really the best darn phone I've ever used.

Android users. Stay away, you cant customize anything other than the color of the livetiles and the lock-screen so you will probably hate it. Though honestly i like a more controlled ecosystem than the chaos that is android.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS PHONE!, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Quite simply LOVE the phone! Easy to use. Simple set-up. Totally different than any other OS I have ever had before. People hub is very cool and the maps are great. Intuitive and very easy to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone on the Market, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I just picked up one of these phones. I have used Android and Iphones in the past and Windows Phone has the best e-mail, calender integration for outlook. The interface really fast. I highly recommend this phone to everyone.

This is my first Nokia phone and the build quality is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the Lumia 900!, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Coming from an HTC Trophy on Verizon, i have already had experience with Windows Phone. I love the OS and feel it brings a lot of new ideas to how a smartphone should operate.

The phone is incredibly fast, feels great, and looks incredible. The brightness of the screen in the daylight is the best on any smartphones i've owned by far.

My wife switched from a Droid and has had this phone for about 4 days and she loves it as well. The biggest thing for her is getting use to the Windows Phone OS, as she came from a droid. So far it has been very easy for her, and she hasn't had to ask me too many questions.

If i had to pick a con for this phone, it would be the 8MP camera. It takes great pictures in good lighting, but isn't that great in darker settings. The auto-adjust feature works well, it takes nice pictures, but it isn't the best camera on a smartphone that there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away... Amazing phone, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was weary getting a Windows phone because no one says anything nice but can never tell me why Windows isn't as good as IOS or Android. I decided to take the leap and was truly blown away and have fallen in love with this device. Having switched from the iPhone and no longer being tethered to the horrid iTunes application Windows phone is the platform of the future. Please give me an Air-Play equivalent for X-Box Microsoft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about Epicness!, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I'll start by saying i am a developer who create application for Windows Phone, Android and iOS.

That being said, for that reason, i own Smartphones from all Mobile OS.

Windows Phone is, for me, an incredible joy to use and develop on.

- As a user i find the OS crazily fast, stable and responsive. I am not even talking about the gorgeous and delightful UI/UX here.

- As a developer, i think that the Microsoft development tools are probably among the best, if not the best, and most mature on the market.
- Developing for Windows Phone is pain-free, headaches-free, fast and the Emulator is accurate.
- You can get from 'Visual Studio / Windows Phone SDK Installation' => 'Deployment of first application' in almost no time. C#, XAML, Silverlight and XNA, all is there for your development journey, for both professionals and hobbyist developers.
-Thats another market and potential buyers right there, in your pocket!!!

Concerning the Nokia Lumia 900 device... just... WOW! If you want the best and most delightful experience on Windows Phone, the Lumia's line of devices is the way to go!

Good Job Nokia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hardware..excellent software..excellent network speeds, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am an AT&T customer since 2002. I was due for an upgrade for at least a year, and I was holding on to it as I was not impressed with anything out there..until Nokia Lumia 900 showed up. I pre ordered it on 4/2 from AT&T and received mine on 4/6. I have been using this phone heavily for the last one week, and here are my impressions:

Pros:

- Excellent build quality, it feels solid in your hand. The polycarbonate shell is just amazing. It feels real premium in your hand, you have to hold it in person to understand what I am trying to convey.
- Signal strength on this phone is absolutely amazing. If you have trouble with getting adequate signal in places that matter, I will absolutely recommend this phone. Nokia pedigree shows.
- Great battery life. With above average use, 3 email accounts, bluetooth on, WiFi on, I have 20% or more juice left by the time I go to sleep.
- I am on conference calls often, and the speakerphone on this phone is real good.
- I am not a blind follower of any OS, but Windows Phone 7.5 Mango is very intuitive, easy to use and real fluid. It is designed in a way to reach your most used tasks in 2 to 3 clicks. This takes away some of the extreme customizations you can do on some other OSes, but for most users, this will be a nonissue.
- The data speeds on LTE is blindingly fast. If you are in an LTE area, and use data on the go, this is the phone to get. It works well on AT&T HSPA+ network also, so don't hesitate to try if you are not in LTE area.
- Nokia provides a free turn by turn Navigation on this phone with downloadable maps. This is pretty cool as you don't need a data connection to use this. Very helpful for people who travel to Europe.

Edit: Another reviewer just reminded me of another pro. The circular polarising ClearBlack display helps you read better in direct sunlight.

Cons:

The cons on this phone are very minor from my perspective. However to bring some balance to my review, here are some:

- The camera is great for outdoor shots, but not that great indoors. A lot of this I believe is due to user error, ie. getting used to the 2 step camera button. If you can get into the manual settings and tweak, you can get much better shots. Normally, Nokia issues software updates for their phones to improve the camera over time, I hope this would be the case.
- The piece of metal around the camera scratches pretty easily. There are some gel cases that snugly fit without taking away the beauty of this phone that could help ease this.
- Screen attracts finger print easily, but I guess that is the case for all touchscreen phones.
- App store for Windows is still in a growth stage. There are some 80000+ apps in there, but a lot of them are poor quality (same with other OSes too). I found most of the 20+ apps I need, but if you are looking for a lot of apps, please check Microsoft Windows Phone webpage if your favorite app is available.

PS: Did I say this is an absolute beauty? The word stunning will be an understatement in my opinion. I mean there is nothing like it, and if you are looking to stand out of the crowd, this is the one to pick. Once you hold it, everything else looks so boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely awesome, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
First off let me say that this is my second windows phone with the new windows 7.0 plus.... I just bought 6 months ago the galaxy skyrocket and while I loved the phone I always missed my Samsung focus because i just loved the windows OS. The one thing that stands out to me about this phone is the the screen... Considering that it only has a 400*800 screen resolution and it is the same as the skyrocket this screen just looks so vibrant and at times almost looks like picture is in 3d its amazing !!!!! The polycarbonate shell is amazing the gorilla glass screen really is the best glass on any phone its awesome not to have to worry about spending money on a screen protector and this is the first phone I've owned that I don't want to put a case on cause to me this phone is gorgeous and im actually not worried for once about knicking up the body...why ? Well the color goes right to the core of the casing I have the black cyan wasn't available but I really like the black my job gets dirty so I wanted black plus with the black the screen looks like it's part of the body not like the blue or the shiney white model

Performance wise I've been overly impressed I love the Zune pass I love the web browser, the marketplace keeps growing everyday
So in the end I can tell anyone for a hundred bucks this phone is hands down the best buy you can get... The sheer look of this phone is stunning...all I have to say is remember when the iPhone came out and people bought cause it looked like nothing else out there well here comes Nokia with this amazing looking and performing device with the hands down clearest and loudest phone quality I've had in my experience with smartphones oh yeah and its finally nice to actually get through an entire day with out actually having to charge my phone and I am a heavy user all day with about 4 hours of talk time,texts galore, YouTubeing emails, and web browsing im not sticking this awesomeness on the charger till around 830-9 thank you Nokia !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Premium WP Hardware, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
So I've gone full circle since my first cell phone, a Nokia 5165. Since then, I've had a Sony Ericsson, Nokia 6070, Motorola V300, Sony Ericsson w200, Nokia E71, the first Google Nexus, Dell Venue Pro, Samsung Focus, HTC Radar, and now back to Nokia with the Lumia 900.

As most people would agree to, Nokia is known for its great hardware. My E71 was elegant and well-built, but it was bogged down by an archaic OS in Symbian, with settings buried in layers upon layers of menu.

Nexus was my first touch-screen phone; it was a premium handset at the time, but I found the Android OS to be less than stable with some apps crashing. Dell Venue Pro had great screen and physical keyboard but it was unstable before the NoDo update - and I bricked it trying to upgrade the micro SD card! Samsung Focus was the best of the first-gen Windows Phones with a great screen and upgradeable micro SD; I bought it unlocked and used it on T-Mobile, but that kept me from getting 3G speed. So I changed my prepaid TMo plan to unlimited 4G and got the HTC Radar with "4G" capability. It is very well-made with its own unibody; I actually like its camera with HTC features (panorama, face detection, burst mode); the drawbacks are the screen with a regular LCD sized at less than 4 inches, and it had only 8gb of storage.

With the Lumia 900, Nokia delivers another great hardware complemented by a great OS in Windows Mango. It is the best phone I have ever owned/used - for now at least. I've been using the Lumia 900 since 4/11/12. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:
1. Mango OS - simple, intuitive, and stable. Sure, Android is more configurable, but that makes it more complex to the average user, and it is less stable with more applications crashing. I've never owned an iPhone, but I've used it; surely it is simple and buttery smooth, but the UI has gone stale with the static icons. Windows Phone is more dynamic with the live tiles, with less emphasis on apps and more on getting your tasks done by having what apps do separately on other OS get done in one place.

2. Screen - colors are vibrant, blacks are deep black, and easy to view in direct sunlight. It looks awesome indoors! Gorilla glass makes it virtually scratch-proof. 4.3-in screen is just right for Goldilocks - not too big, not too small.
3. Unibody design - it stands out from your typical Android bricks and iPhone glass cases. It's sturdy and elegant at the same time.
4. Nokia Apps - Drive navigation app is well-done, and the fact that it is free and does not use data makes it even better.
5. Battery - before the update, battery lasted for about 8 hrs.; the update fixed that issue, and now I get 24 - 36 hours on average usage (email, internet-browsing, Facebook), and about 12 - 15 hrs. on heavy usage (audio/video streaming). This is even without using the battery saver mode.
6. Call/signal quality - Voice sounds clear, not muffled. Signal has not gone below 3 bars. Wow, it is a phone after all.
7. Find my Phone - Not many people mention this (or maybe are not aware of it), but with any Windows Phone you can locate/ring, disable/lock, or erase your phone online should you lose your phone, or should someone steal it. The website has some kinks, but it does work.
8. Price - an LTE device with all of the above attributes for $50 plus a $100 credit? How can you beat that?

CONS:
1. The micro-SIM tray is flimsy. It should not be a major problem unless you switch SIMs frequently.
2. The Nokia apps are not pre-installed. This does not make sense at all. (The US map [1.8gb] took me half a day to download on Wi-Fi.) The good thing is they are free and of good quality.
3. Only 16gb of built-in storage. Surely it is nice that Skydrive gives you 25gb in cloud storage, but -
4. Skydrive does not let you stream a music/video playlist without a third-party app. You have to play your files one at a time. Hopefully this gets fixed on the next OS update (Apollo).

NEUTRAL:
1. Camera is okay, nothing spectacular. Then again I have never used a smartphone with a life-changing camera, including the iPhone. Waiting for Pureview on WinPhone!
2. Number of apps - Do people really need 500k apps??? I have all the apps I need on Windows Marketplace. Some apps are overpriced, but the prices should go down once there are more apps (which means more competition).
3. I don't mind the lock button in the middle of the right side. I'm getting used to it, and I find that it's easier to unlock/lock the phone with my right thumb than having to lock/unlock it with my index finger if the button were on the top. The location is supposed to make it easier for left-handers.
4. LTE speed on ATT network - The speed obviously depends on where you are. I get usually 3 bars at my apartment (in Culver City, CA), where I get 5-7 mbps on average. With 5 bars (in Westwood/UCLA), I was able to reach 15 mbps (the maximum on the Bandwidth app I am using). The speed should get better with LTE expansion.

The phone is great overall. It's not perfect (no phone is), but it does the job for me and more. Welcome back, Nokia!

5.0 out of 5 stars I paid $49 for this phone!, April 14, 2012
Luc (Waltham, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is a work of art. The hardware is slick and the functionality is excellent. I waited to can my Blackberry for this phone to come out & I'm glad I did. Since we run a Microsoft Exchange shop at work the Lumia 900 becomes our #1 supported corporate phone very soon.

‹ Previous | 110 11 1246 | Next ›