5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect
Seriously, you cannot buy a better smartphone at this price. I purchased mine at my local corporate AT&T store for $99 during the pre-sale. I received the phone on Friday the 6th and as someone who has had Blackberry's, Windows Mobile (old versions), several Android devices and even tried an iPhone for a while, this is the best phone I have ever used.

The...
Published on April 8, 2012 by K. Struck

3.0 out of 5 stars Former Android and iPhone user. One of the best phones you haven't tried
I am a long time Android user and have had at least five Android phones including original Galaxy S, G2X and Galaxy S2. I would consider myself a power user having tried many custom roms including CyanogenMod, software mods, Voodoo Sound, and themes on my Android phones. Android is the best for those that love customizing their phones. You can customize pretty much...
Published on May 7, 2012 by audigy

‹ Previous | 14 5 646 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My Very First Smartphone - It Was Worth The Wait!, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Friends and family have been making fun of my ancient clam shell for the past 5 years or so. "You still carrying a pager?" Well, this will stop with the Nokia L900. I've never owned a smartphone before but my wife has an Iphone 4 which I play with or use once in a while. The Nokia blows it away IMO. I love the Live Tiles and polycarb casing. When I go back to my wife's Iphone, the screen seems too small now.

One of the things that my clam shell did well was it never dropped calls and voice quality was never an issue (this was the main reason I kept it for so long). Rest assured, this is also not an issue with the Nokia...calls come in crystal clear. It is, afterall, a phone still and call quality is very important to me. But what really compelled me to get my first smartphone was the price and the fact that it is a Nokia. Can't beat it. It should be selling for 2 or 3 times more. But not complaining at all. Friends will be envious now.

For all clam shell victims, please go out and check out this phone and stop being victimized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia back in the game ..., April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
It was always going to take a lot to lure me away from my long-term relationship with iOS devices (from 3 to 3GS to 4), but this phone is it. I took delivery on Friday 6th April (thanks to AT&T's slightly early shipping), and very hesitantly powered off my iPhone for the last time to make the switch. I am 4 days into using the phone and absolutely love it. I know there will be people wondering about the switch from an iPhone 4 - the stand-out aspects are speed (both performance and connectivity with 4G LTE), the camera (it's as good as a quality compact), the interface (I love the live tiles in WP7), integrated Outlook and Office (OneNote being particularly handy) and the look and feel (Nokia *know* hardware). Another surprising aspect were the number and availability of applications - I found many of my old favorites were already available, and *definitely* looked and feel better through the WP7 interface. This was always the reason I held back from moving to another platform, but hasn't been an issue at all. Having had experience with a number of other devices, I just don't know why anyone would consider an alternative - particularly with incredibly low handset cost (on contract of course). This phone definitely looks like a game-changer, and Nokia stepping up to the plate with a home run. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars New to smart phones, May 28, 2012
Carol (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I finally gave up my old flip phone for a smart phone. After reading reviews and looking at phones in the store I choose the new Nokia Lumia 900 because Nokia is reliable. I LOVE IT. It's very easy to use. No manual provided but there is one online so you can research what you can't figure out. It's very fast. Other people who have i-phones and androids are amazed at the speed, set up and ease to use. It looks great. I've been calling, emailing, texting, checking facebook, accessing the internet, downloading apps and games. I've even used the camera and uploaded to facebook. So easy. I purchased it at Costco for $69, free activation and a free accessory kit. Clarity and crispness is amazing. Plenty of apps available for me. I'm reading the reviews to find out what else I'm missing out on. So happy I purchased this phone. As you can tell, I'm not tech geek, just a middle-aged woman. So, if I can use this phone anyone can. Highly recommend this phone. Still learning what all it can do so I'll be even more impressed each day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the iPhone/iOS, time to switch, April 28, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The user interface on the Windows Phone is more intuitive and cleaner than the iPhone. Press and holding down on an icon to gets you a context menu. The "Back" button allows you to navigate back a page just like a browser. Holding down the "Back" button to see a list of apps running and reopen any app on the list. It just makes sense.

Integration with Windows Live allows me to easily update my calendar, contacts from my desktop and see it everywhere desktop/laptop/phone. I can also sync Lotus Notes from work to GMail and have it seamlessly integrate into the phone's calendar and mailbox. Work calendar entries can overlay on the same calendar color coded for work versus personal calendar entry. It's really a great OS.

As for the Lumia 900, it's fast/very responsive. The screen is bright with great contrast. Try watching Netflix on this phone at 4G LTE speed on this large screen and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it is an iPhone killer, April 26, 2012
Surendra Naik (Cupertino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I pre-ordered my Cyan Lumia 900 from AT&T on-line. Received it by Fed-ex overnight on 4/6, 2 days before it was officially introduced and now enjoying it for 3 weeks. I think it is simply a superb and sleek design. WP7.5 OS is great, Metro interface with live tiles is amazing compared to dead tiles on the iPhone. I find a lot of Apps that I need. It is the quality of Apps that matters,not the number. would like to have Pandora, Saavan, Schwab, CNBC though. Skype works great. 4G/LTE data connection glitch was a big issue that got quickly resolved. After the OS update via Zune, it works fine. The whole user experience is very refreshing compared to iPhone. I like the Cyan color which is unique. People notice it and ask all the time what phone is it. Camera works fine, but there some quality issue in Zoom mode. Nokia manual acknowledges it. But they need to fix it via a patch update. I think it is an iPhone killer. People who blindly go for iPhone should look at this. I was disappointed though how poorly Nokia and AT&T have introduced it so far. The packaging could be original Nokia in a sleek box instead in an AT&T's cheap box. I give 5 stars not penalizing company related screw ups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the specs...., April 19, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Why on earth would I ditch my Dual core LTE qHD screened android phone ( droid bionic) for a phone with a single core processor and a 800 x 480 sceen resolution? Use it. You'll know why. This phone really flies through everything without ever really slowing down , and looks good while doing it.

Lets start with the OS. If you don't like windows phone you won't like this phone so why are you even reading a review? If you aren't really interested in iOS and aren't really satisfied by Android , its a refreshing alternative. It runs extremely smooth , the apps , while not as abundant are very high quality and don't force close all the time like on Android ( Don't argue with me I've had 3 android phones and a nook running Cyanogenmod and all of them have had force close issues). The only absentees that I miss in the app market are Angry birds space , Rio , and Seasons, though I think Space is coming eventually. Rocket Riot is a great game and should be downloaded by everyone.

Hardware? This phone feels great in the hand. Solid , smooth , not at all uncomfortable to hold with a little heft to make it feel substantial but its not a brick. The screen is gorgeous. Doesn't have the bluish tint that other AMOLED screens suffer from. Very visible outside , and most of the time the resolution is something thats not noticeable and looks sharper than some hi-res pentile arrays on android phones. Its great to look at. Thats all that matters , and the polarized glass is a big plus.

Camera- You can definitely get some solid shots out of the thing. Outside pictures have a great amount of depth and detail to them. Inside pictures do fairly well depending on lighting. Though there are some coloration issues , the auto-fix feature greatly improves the pictures. I haven't taken any videos but from what I've seen posted online its reasonably good quality , but its not gonna knock your socks off. The Bionic took better pictures and video , but it also force closed in all kinds of apps , had a half broken gallery app that even when brand new with a mighty dual core processor was not nearly as smooth as the gallery app on this phone , and it also lacked a camera button and took longer to take pictures and to open the camera app.

Reception/Call quality- I switched from Verizon to AT&T so I can't compare it to other phones directly , but reception seems pretty good and call quality is fantastic. The loudspeaker for music is also very loud and clear for a phone.

Battery life- Even getting up early and staying up late , I havent killed it in a day yet after about a week. Battery life is good enough to be something you won't have to think about unless you play games or stream video or use GPS or something like that which will take its toll on any phone.

So why shouldn't you buy this phone? If you think that having a higher screen resolution and a faster processor matters more than the actual experience of the phone and how the screen looks , or If you think you'll actually use all of the hundreds of thousands of apps in Apple or Googles appstore. Otherwise its worth a shot. Is it the best phone that could ever exist? No , in 6 months something will come along with better everything , but thats true of almost any phone you'll buy. Overall , I think the experience on the phone for the price of the phone made it a no brainer for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Glowing Review from a Lumia 900 Owner, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
There have been many reviews that dig into the many good things about this phone so I'm not going to add a ton of detail on that.
I'm writing this more as a focus on those things that the detractors will say it can't do without actually experiencing the phone.

First off, this phone does not have the high end specs of some other phones out there. It does not have multiple cores, it does not have a 64GB variant, it does not have expandable storage, and it does not have a removable battery. Those things make it even more impressive when experiencing what the OS can do with what is packed inside this handset. The single core processor is more than enough to handle all of the tasks thrown at it. The 16GB of storage is enough for most people and if you use the free Skydrive service you really don't need to eat into that space too much at all for anything other than videos. There is no need for a removable battery unless you never put the thing down in an LTE area as most people are able to get a full day of normal use without issue.

Next, apps. This is not directly related to the Lumia 900 but to the Windows Phone platform as a whole. People complain about a "lack of apps" when, in fact, most of the popular apps that people use on other devices are already released in the 70,000+ that are out there today. Many of those that don't have official apps have an unofficial app that someone has written to tie into the same service or an equivalent. Some companies have flat out refused to write applications for the platform and while they may be popular on other platforms, they're just missing out on more sales.

Finally, the build quality. The Lumia is a very well constructed piece of hardware. It has a great size and weight to make it where it does not feel cheap but also is hardly noticeable in the pocket. A Gorilla Glass screen is almost a must on mobile devices these days and because the entire shell of the phone is made from a single injection mold minor nicks and dings wont ruin the appearance (hopefully, I haven't found this out first hand yet). Also, the polycarbonate allows it to take a decent fall without shattering. I haven't drop tested mine, yet, but there are reports already of some falls with little or no damage.

Overall, if you aren't already deeply rooted in Apple or Google ecosystems, there is no reason to not try out the Lumia. It's a great phone, the OS is very well made, and it's absolutely a fully functional device.
It's a steal for the price and if you pick it up in a corporate store you can even return if you don't initially like it so why not?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Nokia apps, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Just b/c all have been said about the phone, in addition to saying I just love it. The nicest surprise about the phone is actually the included Nokia apps.

Nokia drive is awesome. The maps are impressively accurate, the turn by turn directions work great. I used it during the weekend on a trip to the Olympic penninsula and didn't miss a beat. The equivalent Garmin app is worth $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone!!!, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
So i have been a long time apple fanatic. My whole ecosystem is apple. I was very reluctant to get this phone but, let me tell you this phone is amazing. It takes some getting used to coming from a different OS but spend some time with it and you will be up an running in no time. Blazing fast will smoke my iphone in just about any task. Screen is beautiful and easy to see in daylight, If you have a mac just download windows 7 connector and you can easily put pics,podcasts,music and whatever else you want from itunes in no time. The only reason im not giving it 5 stars is it still missing some apps and the selection is not that great, having said that there are still plenty the usual suspects to choose from they may have a different name you just have to take some time to find them. This is definitely the OS of the future with next next update to WP8 this thing is gonna be a force to recon with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone - Had some issues with setting up Google account but solved it., April 10, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got the phone yesterday, and had almost a day to play with it. I have been extremely impressed by the smooth operation of the OS and how the contacts, calendars etc. are tightly integrated. The phone itself is very pleasing to hold. The screen is beautiful (my wife has an iPhone4s so I am very well aware of the "Retina" display, but there is something special about the Nokia screen even though it has a lower resolution. The contrast is excellent, and images and text just stand out in terms of clarity. 4.3" is slightly big, would have preferred a 4" screen, but that takes nothing away from the quality of the screen. Touch response seems to be smoother than what I experience on the iphone. There is of course more to explore, and I am sure there will be bugs that will come up. But that should not take away any points from the fact that Nokia has partnered with Microsoft to bring a high quality phone to the US. Finally!!!!

Just to make it clear, I am not biased towards any OS. I have previously owned the iphone 3, 3g, 4 and currently have the iPad2 and HTC Flyer, so I am quite familiar with what the different mobile OS have to offer.

While setting up the Google account I did run into some authentication errors. Finally found a solution that worked. problem is not with Windows OS but on Google side. See the details below:

Basically, I created a 2-step verification on for my Gmail accounts, which seemed to be what was impeding the authentication. I opened up Gmail in a browser, opened up 'Mail Settings' (the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page), went to the 'Accounts' tab, and clicked on 'Other Google Account settings". Once I authenticated a 2-step verification process under "Security" option, I clicked "Authorizing applications & sites". Then I basically followed the steps on that page to create a once-off application-specific password for the Nokia phone (one can name it anything they want), and used the generated password by google to sync my account on the Nokia phone and voila! It worked! Once I figured out what I was doing, it took be no more than 2 minutes.

‹ Previous | 14 5 646 | Next ›