5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect
Seriously, you cannot buy a better smartphone at this price. I purchased mine at my local corporate AT&T store for $99 during the pre-sale. I received the phone on Friday the 6th and as someone who has had Blackberry's, Windows Mobile (old versions), several Android devices and even tried an iPhone for a while, this is the best phone I have ever used.

The...
Published on April 8, 2012 by K. Struck

3.0 out of 5 stars Former Android and iPhone user. One of the best phones you haven't tried
I am a long time Android user and have had at least five Android phones including original Galaxy S, G2X and Galaxy S2. I would consider myself a power user having tried many custom roms including CyanogenMod, software mods, Voodoo Sound, and themes on my Android phones. Android is the best for those that love customizing their phones. You can customize pretty much...
Published 23 months ago by audigy

‹ Previous | 18 9 1046 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Patutti!, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Got my Lumia 900 Saturday and love it. Internet browsing is lightening fast, faster than my home FIOS connection. The organization, layout and ease of use is remarkable. This is the sexiest tech product I have seen in a very long time and I go back to Commodore 64's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, April 11, 2012
Chi Yan Cheung (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
It's refreshing to see the new (to me) interface. This phone is really fast. I have the iPhone 4s before, this phone is faster for the things that I use it for -- email, texting, web, facebook, etc. The transition effects are really nicely done. Yes, there are missing gaps in some popular apps, but there are many alternatives that fills the hole. For example, there's no official pandora app, but there's an app that plays music from pandora. BTW -- did I tell you this phone looks really good? So good I'm not sure if I want to put a case on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows very quick on you., April 10, 2012
KJS (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for about two days now and I am amazed by the capabilities of this phone. Talk about smooth. And I love how seamless opening Office documents is. I just downloaded my first video, via Windows Phone Connector for OS X, and I'm very happy with the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone Ever!, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I had a Samsung Focus before this, along with an iPhone, a "top level" android phone, Blackberry, etc etc etc. This kills all of them. Not even by a little, but by A LOT. Everything is easier, everything is quicker. In my opinion, don't be a spec junkie when it comes to phones. It doesn't work that way from my experiences. This phone KILLS IT on everything I need it to do, and although the pictures don't really do it justice, it's a real head turner. Also, first smart phone that I've ever owned that I don't feel bad about not having a case or screen protector on it. Which is a good feeling indeed. Don't wait, buy this now. I promise you will not regret it. Oh and did I mention the camera is awesome too?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Done, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
After having used every iPhone, two Android phones and a Samsung Focus, I wanted to try the Lumia 900.

Nokia and Microsoft should be proud of this phone. Not only does it feel as 'substantial' (weight, polish, build quality) as an iPhone, it is AS nice as the iPhone in form. (I haven't found an Android phone that can compare with this one on build quality.)

The interface is easy to learn and twice as fun to use. Social media integration is simply top-notch and the ease of moving back and forth between applications and phone function is different but well-designed.

The camera(s) are not quite on par with the iPhone but are more than adequate for casual photos. Having all of the Windows Live services built in to the phone make managing those pictures as easy as Apple's iCloud.

It's been said multiple times but it's worth repeating: The ONLY issue is the lack of apps. That is simply the only thing that makes Windows Phone less appealing than the iPhone. There are enough apps and enough of those bigger apps (Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, games, etc.) that make this much less of an "issue" than some would have you believe.

There is simply something about this phone that makes it hard to put down. It is well-built and beautifully designed. And, most importantly, it is simply a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery life blew me away !!, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I really have just two things to mention that I think most other reviews missed.

Battery:
My wife has been using a Samsung Focus for a while and I already knew I will like the OS. But the battery life is what totally blew me away. This is almost impossible. Being the first week with the phone I am spending a lot of time on the phone - exploring features and apps. Add to that two hours of browsing over WiFi during my daily commute and I am still getting well over 30 hours on single charge. Batteries used to last this long in early 90's when all your phone could do was make calls.

OS App Management:
Being a desktop power user, I have a tendency to want full control over apps. I am constantly seeking something like task manager and end all apps that I am not currently using and there is no easy way to do that in Windows Phone 7.5. But the truth is that it does not matter how many applications are suspended, they are not really running and not taking any resources. Just open as many apps as you like and keep switching without worrying about using resources and battery. The OS takes care of it.

Great camera, good display size for extended browsing, feels sturdy in your hand, fast growing list of quality apps, 4G fast, built in full GPS including voice directions (don't even need a data connection - Nokia Drive), low price ($0 till Apr 21st), full integration with Twitter and Facebook and the list goes on and on. It is impressive how you can go to the address book find a person and see their facebook updates, tweets, LinkedIn updates and even browse their Facebook albums without ever leaving the address book (or 'People' as they call it).

I am totally in love with my new phone. My wife now is yelling at me constantly to put the phone away :)

Edit (5/5/2012): Been over a month now. And I now have four email accounts, two calendars (personal and work), a bunch of apps using push notifications, and also a couple apps running in the background. I am now getting about 22 hours of battery life on a average day. Also I figured browsing over WiFi is a lot easier on the battery than 4G. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been excited with a phone like this, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I read the rave reviews this phone received when it was first announced at the CES show. I was waiting and waiting but finally when it came it didn't disappoint.

From the feel to the contrast to the camera, this is the best phone I have ever used (I used to have an iPhone 3G which was great by that time but not much has changed since then).

- The design is sleek and feels good'
- The color contrast is amazing and makes the phone even gorgeous
- Phone call quality is awesome
- Apps work smoothly
- Outlook is very well integrated
- Free Microsoft Office apps (including Word, Excel, One Note and Power Point)
- Xbox Live integration
- Great camera with its own button, you don't have to start an app. Even if the phone is locked you can take pictures by just pressing the button
- LTE capable, if you are lucky to have LTE in your area you will get lightening fast internet speed. The 4G is great too. (By the way the latest iPhone doesn't support LTE yet)
- Great audio quality for music
- Awesome screen for watching videos

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading from iPhone 4 and absolutely love it!!, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I got an early upgrade after talking to ATT and the phone arrived on Friday 6th April. I have used the Samsung Focus before and I liked it. The Lumia 900 is gorgeous by design and a little heavy compared to the Focus. The great screen and the "Built like a Tank" build is top class. A couple of friends have already switched to the Lumia 900 after seeing my phone. Definetley deserves a 5 star!!!

Pros:
Great screen
Brilliant 8 MP Carl Zeiss Camera
Fluid transitions and scroll
Good battery life (Lasted 1.5 days on a full charge with regular use)
Excellent design and build

Cons:
A little heavy compared to my other phones

The App market has seen a lot of growth and expect for "Temple Run" I dont miss anything from iOS that I use on a daily basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the sweet spot!, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My previous phone was an HTC Wildfire running android. I had this phone for 4 months. A few of the issues: The clock/weather app stopped updating weather after 1 month. People could not understand me when making phone calls, and I could not hear the person clearly on the other end. We spent a good amount of time repeating, "what," "huh," and "sorry?" to each other. The maps app took forever to load, and would regularly crash with the message that it had unexpectedly stopped functioning. When it worked, the maps app would take 20-30 seconds to update the current location. Map searches often took a minute or more to complete. Several apps I downloaded were buggy and some would not function at all (backcountry navigator pro). App updates would start, then fail after draining 60% of the battery. 1 hour of regular web browsing (no streaming) would completely drain the battery. Like the maps app, the web browser would crash and freeze all the time. I would regularly make inadvertent phone calls when my finger grazed the touch screen. GPS based apps would leave the gps on and drain the battery even after I pushed the power button to put the phone on standby. Emails sent from the default mail app would sometimes not be sent. Wifi would not automatically connect even when in range. I could not maintain reception in locations (like my office) where my peers had no problem maintaining a cellular connection.

After doing a heavy amount of research over the last 2 months, I bought the Nokia Lumia 900 and have had none of these problems. It is a joy to use, and I cannot be happier that I don't have to deal with all the frustrations I have been putting up with over these past 4 months. I'm not a tech expert, and some of the above may have been user error on my part. However, I did spend a good deal of time trying to troubleshoot these problems on my own. The fact that I have had none of these problems on the Lumia 900 speaks incredibly positively to Nokia's phone design and Microsoft's software running on it. I also echo the sentiments of the majority of reviewers: The phone is sexy, beautiful, ergonomic, and fast. The iPhone looks terribly dated in comparison. The majority of press reviews have been knocking the phone's specs being too low - no dual core, lack of RAM, internal memory, etc. I suspect the performance that is achieved on this phone reflects the hard work and the effort put in to programming the software. It reminds me of the days when MS-DOS programs written in assembly language would accomplish amazing things and squeeze every last drop of performance on the hardware the programs were written for. I noticed no perceptible difference between the performance of this phone and those with much higher specs (and prices), including the iPhone 4s.

Nokia has also stated that they will be offering a $100 rebate on the Lumia 900 until April 21. This effectively makes it free, whether buying on Amazon or with AT&T. I cannot believe what an amazing deal this is - it really is the best deal I have ever come across on a cell phone this good. This includes some amazing Black Friday deals (which is when I picked up my previous phone). Anyone looking for an upgrade or looking to switch cellular providers should seriously consider purchasing this phone before the $100 off offer expires. Even without it, the phone is an amazing deal for the $50-100 upfront subsidized handset cost. Finally, I cannot stress how nice it is that it is 4G LTE. The actual experience of using data functions like web browsing is in a totally different league when compared to non-LTE phones. In this regard, it really cannot be fairly compared to the iPhone 4/4s; the overall experience of using the Nokia Lumia 900 is a generation ahead of the iPhone. If/once LTE comes to the iPhone, the comparisons will be more valid. I'm really surprised that in press reviews more is not made of this huge advantage that the Nokia has over the iPhone (which is the natural comparison press reviewers have been making). For those who might claim I hold an anti-Apple bias, I also own a new 3rd generation iPad with a 4g Verizon plan. It is without a doubt the best tablet currently on the market. For those of you contemplating whether to take the advice of the press reviewers who have recommended waiting for the iPhone 5 - do yourself a favor and get this phone for free now. You will not regret it.

UPDATE 4/11/12
First, another general observation: I have read criticisms of those of us like myself who didn't purchase the phone from Amazon (I bought it from a retail AT&T Store) but are leaving reviews here. Amazon is a high visibility site where a lot of shoppers look to reviews to assist in their purchasing decisions. I believe we're leaving honest, helpful info for others, and not having purchased the phone from Amazon does not necessarily make these reviews invalid.

Next, some specific experiences. After spending a few minutes entering my personal info for Yahoo mail, Gmail, and my workplace MS Outlook exchange server this morning, everything worked right out of the box without a glitch. I'm incredibly impressed with the email interface. I can manage my email from my three accounts much faster than I can on my laptop. I will now be using my Lumia as my primary email client instead of my laptop (except when writing long documents). Typing with the on-screen keyboard is also a much better experience than on my previous Android phone. Predictive text is helpful but not intrusive. I do notice a very slight (probably less than 100 millisecond) delay on rare occasions when pushing a key on the keyboard. For email attachments, Adobe reader needed to be downloaded from the marketplace. The OS detected a pdf file the first time I clicked on one, and automatically prompted me to download and install adobe reader, which took about 15 seconds. MS Word document attachments open quickly and display exactly as they should with the pre-installed MS office app. The office app is a HUGE feature - to have a native Microsoft app to create/view/edit word, excel and powerpoint files is incredibly useful (I believe powerpoint is view only). I'm still trying to determine whether there is a speech recognition feature for Word mobile - this would be truly incredible. I would bet that the majority of us have, currently do, or will need to, at some point, handle MS office files. Every school or company in the last 15 years I have attended or worked for used MS office as their primary productivity suite. Having office mobile loaded makes the Lumia a true productivity tool for me. Some reviewers have criticized the Lumia and Windows phone OS for not having certain popular music apps or games. I can tell you that for me, it has what I need and use on a daily bases - preloaded - and for free. Finally, I needed to make a call while driving today. The voice dialing feature worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome quality phone on an awesome OS...., April 15, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
So I've had the Nokia Lumia 900 for a week now and I am happy to say that this phone is phenomenal. If you've used a previous Windows Phone then the same applies to this phone. If you've never used a Windows Phone then I will say that it is more impressive in person than on paper (or computer screen.) You really need to see the phone in action. The Live Tiles come alive and give you information about their respective apps. They animate and flip around and are beautiful and informative at the same time. Anyway, back to the Lumia. The Lumia 900 is looker. The phone is sleek and unlike anything on the market. The screen is 4.3 inches, which is pretty big, and is SAMOLED with clear black technology. Basically that means it's easy to see in direct sunlight. The screen has a resolution of 840x400 which is not as high as the top Android and iPhone display. But in all honesty it still looks awesome because of the way the colors pop on the SAMOLED screen. When you see the phone in person you won't give a damn about it being 840x400. It still looks awesome. The Nokia apps that are available for download from the Marketplace (app store) are very good, especially the GPS app called Nokia Drive. Make sure to get that one. Free voice guided GPS! The camera is good, but not iPhone4s good. It's still a good camera especially in day light. It struggles a little in low light situations. Windows Phone has a built in Auto-Fix feature that will automatically fix the pictures if you find the picture inadequate. It works very well. In the app department some say that it's lacking. While there aren't as many apps as on iPhone and Android there are still oround 80,000 and counting. Most of the popular ones are on Windows Phone but it's missing some key ones like Words with Friends, Draw Something, and Instagram. There are alternatives in the Marketplace that are similar to these apps. Some apps like Pandora and Youtube have 3rd party apps that are just as good as the real deal. In my opinion the app situation isn't as bad as the internet portrays it to be. Unless you really need a specific app that is not on Windows Phone then it shouldn't be an issue. All in all I am super happy with my Lumia 900. It's the best Windows Phone on the market and arguably as good as what Android and iPhone have on their respective platform. Two thumbs up!

‹ Previous | 18 9 1046 | Next ›