5.0 out of 5 stars For $100 or Less, Nokia's Lumia 900 is Hard to Beat
Let me preface this by saying that I received my Lumia 900 from AT&T two days ago, and what a phone it is! First off, I received the phone for free with an AT&T service plan. That is hard to beat. But even for the price of the new iPhone, which I understand is a couple of hundred dollars, I think this phone is worth it.

Software:
The connectivity and ease...
Published on April 8, 2012 by Paul

1.0 out of 5 stars "Poof" all your pictures are gone
Warning! The Lumia 900 with Windows 7 does not sync internal memory or retain internal memory during a reset. Don't know why, but my phone reset itself to factory settings last night while sitting on a desk recharging. I had taken tons of pictures at a memorial service for a dear family member and all are gone. I usually back up my pictures to my computer often but...
Published 12 months ago by W. Morgan

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
When you first see this phone in person you'll be stunned by it's beauty! Not only is the phone beautiful but so is the OS.

5.0 out of 5 stars LUMInAry!, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
For starters, I've been with Windows Phone since shortly after its release; it was a natural progression from the oft-mocked but secretly delightful Zune platform (RIP). It has been a journey not without its bumps. Windows Phone has had to claw its way into the smartphone market, and its continued existence is due purely to Microsoft's doggedness. It's not as if WP has nothing new to offer. It's a simple market fact that people tend to be happy with only two to three options in any category, especially in the technology marketplace. Witness the longtime twosome of Windows vs. Mac operating systems, with Linux running a distant third. There are plenty of other examples.

Windows Phone has finally wrestled its way into the scuffle, though, and it's a very good thing. It offers an extremely stable operating environment, surprisingly good performance even on mid-grade hardware which would choke an Android phone, integration into the fuller Microsoft user experience, such as Xbox Live, Office, and Zune Pass ($10 a month for unlimited streaming and downloading music, cheap enough to never feel the urge to pirate), and a user interface that is just fun and beautiful, and oh-so refreshing when compared to Apple and Android UIs.

And now, This great phone OS (operating system) finally (it cannot be stressed enough, FINALLY!) has a great piece of hardware to run on, something which expresses the same aesthetic and value system that the OS does. The phone is, first off, a terrific piece of engineering, a beautiful, industrial block with rounded sides which make it a joy to hold and use, with a stunning OLED screen which is easy to see even in bright daylight. Every aspect of the hardware is as good as you'd expect classic Nokia to put out. The phone's slimness and light weight, combined with the grippy matte finish, makes it as effortless in the physical space as the WP platform makes controlling and navigating the phone.

I mentioned the bumpy road to WP excellence; primarily it has been the lack of very good hardware. Previously I've been using an LG Quantum, a well-made phone but one which understood nothing, so to speak, of the Windows Phone way. None of the 1st-generation phones on offer for WP met its needs for a champion, and so far I believe Nokia is the only one to understand the OS, which is fine considering Nokia has pledged its whole cause to Microsoft. Together, they're performing an almost phoenix-like rise from the ashes, though it remains to be seen how far upwards they will be able to go. At this point in time, however, they have the perfect phone and OS for me.

There are some rocks remaining in the road: apps still haven't met the availability of Android and iPhone. This is mostly the fault of app developers, but it is actually a complex issue. Accelerating the development of WP apps takes Microsoft's evangelizing, user adoption, market acceptance, and plain old time. That is why people looking for Draw Something won't be able to find it (yet) on WP, and if your life revolves around installing cutting-edge, popular apps as soon as they've entered the public consciousness, you might be disappointed, for awhile. But WP doesn't get enough credit for what it does have, the aforementioned Microsoft product integration, which will only improve with the release of Windows 8, which takes numerous design principles straight from Windows Phone, and wants to augment the phone experience in some interesting ways.

In summation, I'd consider this to be the emergence of the first Windows Phone champion, the "iPhone" of Windows Phones. In fact, Nokia may well become the only WP manufacturer that really takes the limelight, and that's perfectly okay with me, while other companies will still offer another take on the WP for those who don't find Nokia's offerings to suit their needs. Essentially, we might see WP embrace the best of both iPhone and Android, with the seamless user experience of the former combined with the choice of the latter. Such can only be a good thing, and positions them to be a worthy "third" in a battle that has, until now, been a two-player game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get this phone out of my hand, April 20, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was intrigued by the Lumia 900, but was planning on holding off to see the next model later in the year. But after seeing the price (especially after the $100 credit), I just couldn't pass it up.

This phone is stunning. It looks great, with a sleek design and the colors really pop. The clearblack screen actually does what it promises, as the colors look just as great in direct sunlight.

But more importantly is how great this phone feels. I feel like when I got my first cell phone so many years ago, I just can't put the phone down. I was worried the 4.3 inch screen would be bulky, but after about 5 minutes, it felt like this is the size cell phones should've always been.

Everything about this phone is top notch - great call quality, extremely fast and responsive OS, great battery life, and the beautiful build of the phone itself. Really impressed with the Nokia apps (particularly Nokia Drive, Creative Suite, Nokia Transit) in the marketplace as well.

Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great device!!!, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
First of all buyers should be aware of the data bug issue.. Nokia fixed this on April 16th so if your device came with an older version, you have to use Zune to update the firmware.. This process will take 20 minutes and you have just to click next and wait.

I do not want to mention the great things this device offer, everyone know that the built quality, call quality, design , ...etc is A++++, so I just want to mention the things that i did not like:

+ I wish there is an LED indicator that will tell you if you have a notification like a text message, email ...etc while the screen is off.

+ The Micro USB Charger is on the top!!! really!! this mean if you have micro USB charger cradle you have to flip the phone upside down :)

Overall I think this phone is a great great device and I think WP7 is the most usable and informative OS you can use.. Android is buggy and memory/power monster and iOS is pretty much useless in the home screen.

And for the Apps I know that WP7 has only 70K now but for an adult it already has my main apps from Banking, credit cards, news, social networking ..etc so i do not care if they do not have angry birds space..

And for all WP7 haters,,I had HTC Evo since launch and I bought my ipad over a year now, so i used both OS before trying WP7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone and worth my wait, April 12, 2012
Alchemic (Northern Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Okay so I had a Samsung focus that I cracked the screen on over 5 months ago and had the chance to upgrade during christmas to the focus S. I saw the lumia 800 and fell in love. I figured I would wait to see if the 800 was to come to the USA. Once the 900 was announced, nothing was going to make me change my mind otherwisw, I was going to wait.

Well I'm glad I did cause this phone is so dang nice and beyond a head turner. The screen is so large and much more vibrant the the focus I had. The speed is fast and does not lag out at all. Why get a quad core when you don't need it in my opinion, it's not a pc. The camera has some great features and is premium in the field of point and shoot for everyday use. I know the Titan 2 has 16mp but if I need to go that high then I might as well get a professional camera.

In the way of apps I know the selection is lower then apple and android but the os has only been out a year and a half. Everything takes time and all the apps I need are there. I mean, I have 50+ apps on my ipod and only use maybe 15 consistantly. All of which I have on my phone.

The only real complaint I had was that my data was not working out of the box. It is a software issue that att and nokia are aware of and is being fixed with an update on Monday (16th). Furthermore, nokia is giving everyone who got the phone before the 22nd a $100 credit to their bill for the issue. So the phone is free!!! So yeah, well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone :), April 10, 2012
Paul Katz (District of Columbia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Picked mine up yesterday for $100. Went to a Microsoft Store as I wanted to keep my current data plan. That said, Amazon has some sweet deals for those signing up for new plans.

The screen is gorgeous, and the speed is a huge bump-up over generation-one Windows Phones. I live in Washington DC, where AT&T's LTE network is respectable, and I've never gotten faster mobile internet.

Tough to argue with getting Nokia Drive, a free voice-enabled GPS :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Big and bright screen even in direct sunlight. Windows Phone OS is refreshing and smooth. Live tile notification is very accurate and time saver. IE browser is very fast on 4G LTE and the renders the webpages very nicely. I have a SharePoint site and work and I have smooth integration with the SharePoint site and I can now update my documents (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote) from my phone and publish it back to the SharePoint with a click. SkyDrive automatically backs up all my documents and photos onto the cloud so I don't have to worry about my photos and personal stuff if I lose my phone. I just found out that you can go to the windows phone site ([...]) and login to find, ring, lock or erase your personal data on the phone. That's so cool! Xbox integration with Xbox companion app is icing on the cake.
Lumia 900 camera pictures are great especially outside and lowlight pictures. Even though the screen is huge it feels nice and comfortable holding it on in the pocket. Nokia has done an excellent job with the overall phone look and feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Phone to get., April 9, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am loving this phone way too much to give a completely objective review. But I can tell you something.

The black of the screen is so dark that you almost cannot distinguish it from the bezel! Its awesome! On a more technical term, the black part of the screen literally does not consume any power, and as windows phone has more black than any other color in its UI, the battery life gets a significant boost from it.
LTE is awesome. My LTE speed is almost as much as I get in my home by WiFi! YouTube in HQ!
The front-facing camera is amazing. If video chat has any preference at all, this is the phone to get. I am comparing to HTC Titan.
The build quality! If anyone is not familiar with Nokia's build quality, they can buy this phone eyes closed. Easily the best built phone in market. It lives up to Nokia's standard easily.
The phone feels really superior to hold. The side of the phone is rounded, not boxy or edgy, so its really easy to hold. And the texture of the poly-carbonate body makes thing even sweeter.
Fantastic call quality. Nokia held up to their reputation in call quality. The positioning of the external speaker allows you to listen to music or talk on speakerphone regardless of which side of the phone is facing up.

If you are buying this under contract, I challenge anyone to find a better deal than this phone at under $100/$50. This is not a flawless phone, but if you look at the price, it blows all other phones out of the water.

BUY THIS PHONE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Device, April 10, 2012
Seon M (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
The Lumia 900 is really a great device. The design is simply the best you can find in a smart phone at the moment and while the display doesn't meet those of higher end droids and iPhones the Clear Black Display is stunning. The Live Tiles float on the surface and the colors pop making the experience a pleasure to look at.

The Windows Phone OS has some shortcomings yet remains ahead of its peers in terms of smoothness, integration with social networking services, microsoft ecosytem (skydrive, office, zune, messenger, etc) and its futuristic typograhic metro user interface. The lack of many major apps may be a draw back for some but it is not a deal breaker for me and I suspect countless others as the windows phone marketplace has over 80, 000 apps.

The camera is where the Lumia 900 falls short for me. I am not terribly impressed with the photos. Either they're too dark, noisy or grainy, You may have to fiddle with the settings to get some acceptable shots.

Overall the Lumia is without a doubt the best Windows Phone in the market today. Sound quality is excellent, the device feels solid and exudes quality. My overall score is 8/10 But I am increasing it to 8.5 on pricing. You just can't beat and LTE smartphone of this caliber for $0 - $100.

PS. I crossed posted this short review on the verge as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever used, April 9, 2012
Russell Kuhl (Wakefield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was an iPhone and Android user prior to the Windows Phone launch late in 2010. I bought a Windows Phone (it was the Samsung Focus on AT&T) when it launched and was very happy. I put my iPhone in a drawer and haven't taken it out since. Now I've moved on to the Lumia 900 and am even happier. The phone's hardware is solid and very well thought out - - though I do wish they'd put the power/lock button on top instead of on the side...

The phone is very responsive and the screen is very good. Despite the size of the screen, I don't think the phone feels especially large or bulky. In fact, it's very thin and pretty light, too. (I find the iPhone 4s to be heavy and blocky.)

The built-in apps are very good, especially the email interface. It's much better than the email apps on iPhone or Android. When compared to an iPhone, there's a ton more screen real-estate that's available for actually reading your emails since iOS takes up a lot of screen room with navigation buttons. Deleting, filing, etc. are also a lot easier to do.

Speaking of Apps, there are a few big ones out there (like Pandora) that don't exist for Windows Phone (yet) but almost all the ones I want are there. There are now 80,000 apps in the Windows Marketplace and (according to Forbes) it grew at an average of 340 apps per day in March. So, personally, I don't see this as an issue. All the apps I want, I've got (no, I personally don't use Pandora!),

The 4G performance is great and it has tethering (optional with AT&T), too.

All in all, it's a winner. I haven't found anything to complain about with the phone. (I pre-ordered mine and got in 4/6 so I've had a few days to use it.)

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9a3b43f0)

Nokia Lumia 900, Cyan (AT&T)
Click for more info