4.0 out of 5 stars A true contender that rivals the iPhone 5.
Published on November 13, 2012 by Michael Anthony To

3.0 out of 5 stars The perfect phone?
tl;dr at end
I come originally from an Android background. Until recently, it was my only experience with a smartphone. I wanted something more reliable, less app force-closes, better build quality. I was fine with the smaller app market. All I do with my phone is browse the web ,(mostly p**n), listen to music, driving navigation, and read books. You don't need...
Published 24 months ago by Jeshua Case

4.0 out of 5 stars A true contender that rivals the iPhone 5., November 13, 2012
Michael Anthony To (Garden Grove, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've own the Samsung Focus, The Focus S, The Lumia 900 and this beauty. No doubt this is by far the best of the bunch. Windows Phone 8 has definitely improved over it's previous predecessor. The OS is very fluent, smooth and above all fast! Ive owned the iPhone 2G, 3G, 3Gs and 4 and tested the 5. I'll admit Apple has produce very great hardware, some of the finest out there and nothing can compare... Until now.

Apple iOS... is starting become a bit dated. The reason, it has static icons, doesn't provide much detail or information. With Windows phone, it offers live tiles, allows me to see what I need without the need of going into the app. Live updates definitely is a time saver. Another example why I prefer the windows Phone, it could be a minor detail to some, is searching through apps and contact list. Lets say I want to scroll to the bottom of my contacts or apps list. All i would do is hit the letter and touch Z which will take me to the bottom of the list. These are one of the many minor details in the Windows phone OS that I enjoy so much and why I prefer it over iOS. The lack of this on the iPhone gives me the sense that Apple is failing to keep up with the times.

The hardware on the Lumia 920.

If you're coming from an iPhone, it's definitely going to take some time getting use to. I would say the Lumia 920 is a hunky piece of hardware, but once you're use to the larger screen. You'll begin to question why you've stayed on a 3.5 screen or even 4 inch all this time. The screen on the 920 is just gorgeous. It's clear and crisps compared to the Lumia 900. It's on par or even better than the iPhone 5, but definitely an upgrade from the Lumia 900.

The camera is touted as one of the best and I'll agree with that statement. Compared to the iPhone 4/4s, This phone knocks it out of the ball park. I haven't directly compared the iPhone 5 to the Lumia 920's camera but from what I recall the iPhone 5 and 4s are very similar when I compared the two. I think the camera on the Lumia 920 captures more detail as oppose to the iPhone 4s. The flash on the Lumia 920 isn't as bright as the iPhone 4s but it does get the job done. Sometimes on the 4s, The flash causes the picture look washed out mainly because of too much lighting.

Aesthetics and feel of the hardware.

I've held the iPhone 5, it's a beautiful device, very light, clean, well designed, very impressive with what Apple did. The Lumia 920 on the other hand, I can could almost say the same but entirely in a different way. The curved gorilla glass display of the Lumia 920 adds elegance and beauty unlike any other phone on the market. It's Solid, thick and heavy but the curved back of device allows it to sit comfortably in your hands. It feel as if it was as thin as the iPhone 5.

Some of my peeves about the Lumia 920. The lack of Bing maps, Nokia maps just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't offer voice command inputs something I would recommend while driving. I've been hearing Nokia maps will be the standard mapping app for all windows phone 8 device. I just hope with future updates that Nokia will offer voice command in all aspect of their mapping software. The weight of the phone need to be reduce, it's a heavy device. I'm sure some people would be bothered by this. Having it on your pocket all day could get bit annoying. Also I like to mention is the lack of notification center. Which I think is pretty important, it's smart to have a notification center and Apple recognized this and added it in on iOS 5.0. I'm a bit surprised MS didn't add this into WP8 but ill leave this to Microsoft to handle and not Nokia.

Bottom line is the Lumia 920 can do anything the iPhone 5 can do it (hardware wise). You might hear the lack of software, but the selection is rapidly growing. To the average user all the popular apps are there. This is definitely the time to switch if you've been considering a Windows Phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply SUPERB! Couldn;t ask for more!, November 13, 2012
Lumia 920 can give me while Iphone 5 and Samsug Galaxacy can NOT Give to me:
1. The best camera and HD video with stablizer.
2. The best low light camera in all mobile phones.
3. City Lens which can help to find restaurants, shops, hotels in a strange city.
4. Nokia drive can be used in offline mode without need to connect to ATT.
5. Free Microsoft Office suite with Outlook, spreadsheet, etc
6. sensitive screen can be touched with glove on. especially useful for cold winter.
7. kids corner which allow your kids to play on your phone without remove anythings from your phone.
8. Very beautiful screen with live tiles and I can personalize my screens.
9. Web accesses are compressed up to 45% and can save data plan a big time.
10. Extremely durable and unbreakable. I accidentally dropped my Iphone and its front screen cracked completely.
But, I see on a youtube, someone used a big nail and hammer and used the hammer to hit the nail on the
Lumia screen and he hit it 10 times and no damage on the Lumia screen. is this amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned., November 13, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I cancelled my online AT&T pre-order, then walked to my local AT&T store to pick up my Lumia 920.

I've owned the original iPhone, Motorola Droid, Nexus One, Samsung Focus, and most recently, the Galaxy Nexus. I've also played with the iPhone 5 at my local Apple store, and even contemplated getting it, but they were sold out. I say that to say this...The Lumia 920 is by far the best phone I have ever owned. It feels like a premium product in your hand. I love the feel of this phone.

The OS is very fast and fluid, games load quickly, and I can honestly say that I have no complaints in this department (something I hated about Android).

Yes, the screen doesn't produce deep blacks like AMOLED displays, but besides that..the screen is top notch. Plus you can use it with GLOVES!! Also, wireless charging and so much more.

This phone is a great buy. Believe me. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Beautfiul... so sexy....a groups perspective., November 17, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Well let me first state that yes I love microsoft products. I use Cloud drive, love xbox music use their email client as my primary email and use outlook for work related stuff. witht that out of the way i want to say.
WOW this phone is pretty.

I have read reviews about how heavy and not as sexy this phone is compare to the iphone 5...... PLEASE !!!! give me abreak.
I took the phone to a large gatherintg last night and people were just amazed of how beautiful, well made and solid it feels. Yes it looks like a well crafted and designed product. People pulled out galaxy notes II, nexus, and iphone 4 and 5 all with cases. THIS PHONE DOES NOT NEED A CASE. Solid polycarbonate that doesnt scratch and very solid super smooth feel (I have the black one)

People are amazed of how smooth everything runs. My usual demonstration involves clicking on the people hubb - one contact - the swipe to their pictures on facebook and look at their pictures in no time!. Everybody has said the iphone cant even come close to getting this fast to someone elses picture on a faraway server (on ATT LTE or wifi)

Downloading apps, music or websites is super , super super fast. Who cares if I dont have instagram , everything else is just super simple.

I have yet to find any bugs .
Apps not too many, I usually use news apps (NYTIMES, CNN, TIME ) whatsapp (which is way better than the old app but a little behind the iphone app) Skydrive, Nokia music is indcredibily good since most of the time i dont even know what i want to listen to , Rowi for my twitter, the weather channel Skype and some amazing games.

I think people will find out that this is a simple phone with an easy interface. Things are done differntly than on an iphone so you might have to relearn stuff. But if you give it a try you will find out you might end up loving it, just like a I do.

One thing that i need to figure out just yet is the battery life issue. mine has been draining quite fast and have yet to know why. So i will post an update. Still with this i love this phone

Ohh the camera........ the best camera you will ever have on a cellphone. (until next years new nokia camera)

and on top of all that i only payed 99$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop dead gorgeous, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Lumia 920 review after first day of use.

Galaxy S3 has a cheap plastic body, and it does not survive road pavement drop test in a Youtube video. Its screen is all shattered. The Lumia 920 survives 3 drops. Yes, the Lumia is heavier, but it has a substantial rock solid feel to it.

I got the glossy white Lumia 920. The curved glass with shiny white body is drop dead gorgeous. Every one I show the phone to says it is beautiful. The white one has a European modern lounge feel to it, it looks very nice.

The 920 is the same thickness as my old Samsung Focus. It is more pocketable than I thought. It has a much better dimension compare to the 900. The glossy body makes it kind of slippery. I will get a clear case on Amazon later.

The screen is gorgeous. It is an IPS panel that shows it color really well, even under the Texas sun at noon time. The resolution is higher density than the iPhone. I cannot see the pixels. Everything is smooth on the screen. It is the only capacitive screen that works when you wear a glove. It is amazing this IPS panel color pops as much as a Samsung super AMOLED screen.

The camera is amazing. I will post more samples later. At low light condition its picture is brighter than what the human eye can see. It is the best camera in phones, hands down. I expect the image processing logic will be updated later, because I find the photo is softer than I expect, and Engadget Mariam says she has seen a sharper image processing in a pre-production unit.

WP8 runs much faster and snappier than WP7. There are a lot of improvements. The kids corner will be the best feature. There is batch delete in photos now.

The AT&T version of the Lumia 920 has traditional Chinese display language as an option, but I have not found a way to install simplified Chinese display language yet. It is just a matter of time some one will figure out how to side load language pack to it.

The input language includes simplified and traditional Chinese, including hand writing.

The TellMe feature now support multiple languages, such as Taiwan Mandarin, Mainland China Mandarin, and Hong Kong Cantonese. When you drive and get an IM or text, you can ask it to read it for you.

Nokia adds some very good apps to the platform, including downloadable offline map and navigation. It also has some cool camera apps. The most interesting one is Cinemagraph.

I think the Nokia Music is only for US English songs. It does not have Chinese songs yet.

I am very very happy with Nokia fixing most problems in the 900, and makes the 920 a phone that I really love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone at Any Price, November 18, 2012
RushCreek519 (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
My new white Lumia 920 is so much better than any other phone, I just don't know where to begin. I'm going to list the items that I think are most important.

-Screen
By specs the best on any phone, but side-by-side the Nokia screen just pops and looks far superior to anything else. Colors are bright and vibrant, the screen never blurs no matter how fast things move on-screen, you can see the screen well in direct sun, and you can touch the screen and control it with gloves on (brilliant).

-Camera
The Lumia 920 Pureview camera simply puts all others to shame; take a few shots with friends and compare. When their phone cameras produce dim and blur, the Lumia produces bright and clear. I swear the thing sees far better in the dark then I do (and I mean without flash). Checkout some of the reviews of low-light performance vs iPhone 5 and S III, Lumia is years ahead.

-Maps/Navigation
Lumia phones come with Nokia Drive with turn-by-turn voice navigation for the entire world, the is far superior to any other GPS. Nokia Navtec powers most car nav systems and on the phone the maps and data are always up-to-date. Driving, walking, biking, and transit nav is provided worldwide, in any language you want and with multiple voices to choose from. You can download maps for any part of the world you want to your phone, so you can download the maps over wifi and have navigation without using your data plan, nice!

-Wireless Charging
Yes, wireless charging is built-in and AT&T gives you a free charger. So you have this little coaster on your nightstand plugged into the wall, then when you're tired no more fumbling with wires, you just set your phone down and it charges, so cool.

-Durability
Everyone knows when you drop an iPhone or SIII it breaks, so you need huge bulky cases. Watch some of the Lumia torture tests online and you'll see that it doesn't break when dropped, or let fly from moving car, or baked in oven, or put in freezer, or hit with mallet, or when you use the Lumia to pound in a nail, or even when they use a knife to attempt to cut/scratch the Lumia. This thing is crazy tough and durable, something Nokia has always been known for, while other companies want your phone to break so you'll buy a new one.

-Nokia Music
Nokia Music is like Pandora or spotify, but with no commercials, you can skip all the songs you want, and you can download mixes to your phone to listen to later (great to download over WiFi so that you don't need to stream on your data plan). Nokia Music is free with Lumia.

-Windows Phone 8
Windows phone is fast and smooth, Live Tiles show you everything happening in all your apps on one screen (Facebook, Twitter, etc are integrated into Windows). After using Windows Phone or a Surface, it's impossible to go back to static grids of icons on other platforms (or even Windows 7). Kids corner is great and allows you to give your kid your phone but only allows them into what you've selected for them and keeps them out of your stuff (email, text, etc).

I could go on and on:
-Lumia is so fast and smooth at everything (dual-core 1.5gHz never sweats)
-Lumia has LTE, NFC, Wifi, Bluetooth, worldwide coverage
-Nokia apps (City Lens, Cinemagraph, Smart Shoot, Express web) are top notch and useful
-Battery life is great
-Lumia looks like nothing else. People notice it and ask about it all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars It is inovative phone and I recomend it to all, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was waiting for this phone for while as I was user of Nokia N8 which was another great phone it just needed bigger screen. Then I switch to several Android devices mainly for the big screen feature in all after several days of using I got discouraged mainly with short battery life and random restarts and screen bleeding with HTC Amaze. I switched to Iphone 4S where I sacrifice the big screen crewing for functionality. The Iphone served me very well and I did not have any complaints. It was great phone just needed bigger screenº, but I could live with that since the functionality. Then Nokia 808 came to the market and I was really surprised with the camera feature. I was going to buy it has bigger screen then N8 and Symbian is not all that bad, the main feature I like is the FM transmitter that works very well, they shoud include this feature in the Lumia line up.

I did not buy the N 808 since there was news that Iphone 5 will have bigger screen and finally NFC integration. When Iphone 5 came up it shattered my hopes. Screen was bigger but not just enough for me it did not seems that bigger in real life and one line of icons was not seller for me and missing integration of NFC is in my opinion bad step from apple. They did not have me as a buyer as I am not interested to get thinner phone that only evolve from previous model but did not bring anything new. In the time the spec of the new Lumias was already out and decided wait for it instead of Iphone.

I was quite a wait as we have to wait for MS to unveil their new OS. I believe there is step to innovation and no just evolution. There as several new features in the OS that get me to decide go with them instead of Apple.

Now get to the Lumia 920:

I read several review when all of the authors complained about the weight of the phone, I consider this is a hype created by Apple and their creation of slim and light phones which I trust are appealing to big masses, but on other side we have the SGIII users that they are going for the size of the screen. When I received the Lumia 920 and unboxed it the weigh did not seems to be that discouraging for me actually the opposite it feels good in my hand and therefore I cannot conclude with the several reviews that the phone is heavy, it is on the heavier side but not as was presented in the reviews.
The build of the phone is beautiful, I like the unibody and the screen is nicely flash with the casing. The buttons are flashed nicely and their are not just some plastic one but instead they are made from zirconium which is another proof of the quality build.
The screen is vivid and very responsive, I tried the advertised use in gloves and it did work perfectly. The video playback and the web browsing look great. So far one the best screen I ever have the pleasure to use it.
Call quality is as shoud be I did not have any issue in my pas week using the phone and I did not look for something out of ordinary it makes calls good, no distorted sound everybody understand me. I used my VOIP client and it worked well on the phone with the 4G network. I highly recommend this for international callings.

Now the BIG ONE the camera "Pure View" I took several pictures side by side with my Iphone 4S. The Iphone produced quality photo during a day and in lighted room there was some instances that the colors look more vivid. During a low light and night the Lumia is the winner by far. The Iphone photos were grainy with missing details or just dark spots. I have one big complain to the phone software, it is basic and lack of some in-depth settings but this is taking care of by the NOKIA LENSES, which you have to download it from the market. The Nokia Lenses will enhance the phone taking experience. If you looking for great foto/mobil this is it.
Battery life, also there was several reviews and concerns about the battery. I charged and discharged the battery when I first got the phone after this operation which is recommended for all phones, I am getting around two days of use. Not bad.
Wireless charging, somebody might say it is gimmick but it works and I do like it just lay you phone down. Definitely plus and decision point for me.

Conclusion: This is great phone with beautifully build and features. It feels good in a hand. Nokia included several bonus points that should be the decision point for really split buyers. Nokia Drive, Whole world navigation that is offline and works great. Nokia music online based music service that allows you create own playlist but also you can download the music to you phone and use it offline. No need to burn you data plan. Several Nokia apps that is free to Nokia users.
I am not saying this phone is better or worst then Iphone or Android devices, but it is different and innovative piece of equipment thet have the price that is appealing.
Evrywher you look this day you Iphone and galaxy phones if you want be bit different you shoud get this phone in a color that you like, until you will se Lumia all around you. Then hopefully something else will emerge that will make you different from the group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my phone., November 23, 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone at my local AT&T shop. I could not believe the hardware for the price. 99 bucks and I got a 32GB phone, huge amazing display, duel core and one of if not the best camera you can get in a smartphone. Plus you can charge it wirelessly and they are throwing in that $50.00 accessory for free!

I was worried I would not find the apps I wanted. But I found all the apps I need and more. There are a lot of NOKIA apps that are well written. If you want to use the NOKIA maps download them right to your phone. It makes them work much better. One of the main things I love is having Netflix on my phone. I was very happy to see that Netflix is available for WP8 and works great. The SkyDrive and social media integration are very nice on this phone. I loved that when someone called me it looked in my facebook account and was able to match them to their profile (they had their number listed in facebook).

If you want to give WP8 a try this is it folks. This is the best phone I have ever used. My wife has an iPhone and now she wants this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best smartphone on the market, November 15, 2012
russell tatum (Merritt Island, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I was a long term iPhone user, and switched to Windows Phone earlier this year. I work as an it professional, carrying several Microsoft Certifications, and I am an avid Xbox gamer. For me there was no question, the Windows Phone platform was the way to go. I enjoyed Windows Phone 7 on my Samsung Focus Flash, and am even more impressed at how well this phone works for me. I like not having to use the Zune software to sync items to my phone, it just shows up in Windows Explorer and I can drag and drop files into it's separate music, videos, pictures, documents, and ringtone folders. I was even able to use all of the old ringtones I had created for my iPhones. The big screen is nice for gaming and movie watching. Nokia's City Lens is pretty cool too, but most useful in an area that you're unfamiliar with. Almost everything about this phone is perfect. The only thing I don't care for is the haptic feedback. Nokia does not have a setting to turn it off. Aside from that, everything is great!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down the best phone I have ever used, by far, November 15, 2012
bjrock (SAN RAMON, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 920, White (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is like a breath of fresh air. Even before you turn it on the build quality of this is like, well, a Nokia. It feels like when you come across a luxury car parked at a dealership. Extremely well build and solid, this is one phone that doesn't need a casing to keep it safe. The texture of the glossy finish and its shape feels good in the hand and it look ohh so sexy.

Arguably the best feature is its camera, it puts my canon to shame with its low light pictures, outstanding panoramic shots, mechanical image stabilization and you can view those shots on a beautiful big screen. The battery life is pretty good too, it can last 2 days without a recharge on normal use. Nokia has added some outstanding apps like Nokia Drive with it offline capabilities.

Windows 8 is snappy and with a clean and fluid UI, more than enough apps for my needs and some neat features like Kids Corner something anyone with kids can appreciate.

Go and treat yourself to this phone and you will not look back.