Update your Nokia N900 with the latest software
Combining a mobile computer, cell phone, high-quality camera, and portable media player into a single device, the Nokia N900 unlocked cell phone offers fast 3G connectivity, global roaming capabilities, and a wealth of messaging capabilities to keep you in touch with family, friends, and business associates wherever you roam. It runs the new Linux-based Maemo operating system, which brings the benefits of your PC to your mobile world. Enjoy fast application processing and multitasking on the N900's live dashboard--a panoramic home screen that can be fully personalized with favorite shortcuts, widgets, and applications--and experience the full web with the Maemo browser and high-speed wireless broadband connectivity. It's all accessed via the N900's 3.5-inch high-resolution touchscreen as well as the device's slide-out full QWERTY keyboard.
The Nokia N900 mobile computer/cell phone features a 3.5-inch touchscreen as well as slide-out full QWERTY keyboard. Learn about all the N900's features in this Nokia Demo Guide PDF.
Take high-quality photos and widescreen videos using the 5-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. You'll also be able to tag photos with keywords and browse them using the tag cloud, geotag images with the location data of where they were shot, share online via Ovi Share or Flickr, or store for mobile viewing on the N900's 32 GB internal memory--which can also be expanded via optional microSD memory cards.
The quad-band Nokia N900 GSM/EDGE phone makes it easy to roam globally and stay in touch with voice and text messaging, and this model is also ready to run on 3G networks both in the US and internationally (900/1700/2100 MHz HSPA), enabling fast downloads and streaming multimedia while on the go. It also includes integrated Wi-Fi connectivity (802.11b/g) for accessing open networks at work, home, and on the road from a variety of wireless hotspots. You'll also be able to connect to a wide variety of peripherals--including stereo headphones--with the Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) capabilities.
With the integrated A-GPS sensor, the device intuitively understands where it is, giving you the ability to search maps for addresses and points of interest using the Ovi Maps application and route a path to your destination.
Learn about all the N900's features in this Nokia Demo Guide PDF
This unlocked cell phone can be used with a GSM network service provider. It does not come with a SIM card, and it requires that you provide a SIM card for usage with your selected service provider. This phone comes with a full manufacturer's warranty.
When paired with a compatible 3G network, you'll enjoy a high-speed connection offering a variety of feature-rich wireless services--from data connectivity to your office to multimedia streaming--and be able to take advantage of simultaneous voice and data services. In areas not served by a 3G network, you'll continue to receive data service via EDGE network (depending on network compatibility).
Note that the downloading of maps, games, music and videos, and uploading of images and videos involves transferring large amounts of data. Your service provider may charge for the data transmission, and the availability of particular services and features may vary by carrier.
Taking its cues from the world of desktop computing, the open source, Linux-based Maemo software delivers a PC-like experience on a handset-sized device.
- Fast 3G connectivity with broadband-like speeds via 900/1700/2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA.
- Integrated assisted GPS (A-GPS) receiver for navigation using the Ovi Maps application as well as for geotagging photos and accessing location services used by popular social networking sites. Switch between rich 3D, satellite and hybrid map views.
- 3.5-inch touchscreen display with built-in accelerometer and 800 x 480-pixel resolution. (Learn more)
- Slide-out full QWERTY keyboard as well as virtual onscreen keyboard. Speed your typing up further with smart on-screen features and word completion.
- Maemo 5 software and user interface with direct touch logic, 3D accelerated graphics, and multi-window multitasking menu logic. (Learn more)
- 5-megapixel Carl Zeiss autofocus camera with dual LED flash and sliding lens cover for protection and camera activation. (Learn more)
- Capture WVGA 16:9 video in higher than DVD resolution.
- Digital audio and video playback with multi-format compatibilities plus TV output (cable included) and FM radio.
- Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity with stereo music streaming (A2DP) capabilities as well as hands-free headsets and car kits. (Learn more)
- Wi-Fi networking for accessing the Internet from home, corporate and hotspot networks (802.11b/g); includes WEP, WPA, WPA2 security protocols.
- 32 GB internal memory expandable up to 48 GB via optional microSD cards (up to 16 GB in size).
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS, mobile instant messaging (with presence-enhanced contacts), personal and corporate email (with support for Exchange and viewing attachments).
- Easily set up multiple email accounts with support for popular email providers.
- Keep multiple SMS & IM conversations going and move easily between them.
- Mozilla-powered full HTML browser with support for Adobe Flash player and ability to keep multiple web windows open.
- Organizer tools including calendar, clock, notes, calculator, and sketch
- Full range of applications including Ovi Maps, PDF reader, and RSS reader
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off.
The Nokia N900 weighs 6.38 ounces (with 1320 mAh lithium-ion battery) and measures 4.37 x 2.35 x 0.77 inches. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as the 900/1700/2100 MHz HSPA 3G frequencies.
Large and gorgeously colorful, the Nokia N900's 3.5-inch touch display offers an 800 x 480-pixel resolution. The resistive touch screen includes haptic feedback so you know when you've pressed a key or onscreen menu, brightness control, an ambient light detector, and an orientation sensor that effortlessly switches from portrait to landscape viewing. The desktop can be personalized with up to four different views. You can also use a stylus for onscreen input.
When you're ready to start typing email or text/instant messages, just flip the N900 on its left side and slide the face up to reveal the full QWERTY keyboard with predictive typing capabilities. The display pivots to an angle that makes it easy to read the screen while you're typing. The N900 also includes a kickstand that enables you to place the device on a desk or airplane's seatback table to watch videos.
The Nokia N900 has 32 GB of internal storage, which is expandable up to 48 GB via optional microSD cards (up to 16 GB in size).
Running on the new Maemo 5 software, the Nokia N900 enables you to have dozens of application windows open and running simultaneously while taking full advantage of the cellular features, touch screen, and QWERTY keyboard. Designed for computer-grade performance in a compact size, Maemo complements Nokia's other software platforms, such as Symbian, which powers Nokia's smartphones.
The Nokia N900 packs a powerful ARM Cortex-A8 processor, with up to 1GB of application memory and OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics acceleration. The result is PC-like multitasking, allowing many applications to run simultaneously. Switching between applications is simple, as all running content is constantly available through the dashboard. The panoramic home screen can be fully personalized with favorite shortcuts, widgets, and applications. Thanks to the browser powered by Mozilla technology, web sites look the way they would on any computer. Online videos and interactive applications are vivid with full Adobe Flash 9.4 support. Maemo software updates happen automatically over the Internet.
With the Carl Zeiss optics on the 5-megapixel camera, you can capture print quality photos and DVD-like quality video clips. Carl Zeiss, a world leader in high quality camera lenses, brings an award-winning legacy to the Nokia N900 with state-of-the-art optics for mobile photography and mobile video. The Zeiss name has been associated with cameras from Hasselblad, Rollei, Yashica, Sony, and Nikon.
Tag photos with keywords to easily find them later on with a keyword cloud display, and see where your images were taken with the automatic geotagging. The camera offers an auto-focus Carl Zeiss lens with two-stage capture key, dual LED flash, and JPEG/EXIF still image file format. Other features include a full-screen viewfinder, dedicated camera key, sliding lens cover for protection and camera activation, and a photo editor. Upload your photos and videos to Ovi Share and share them online with friends and family.
The N900 can also capture videos in a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio at 800 x 480 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps). Additionally, the N900 includes a VGA camera on the front for use of video calling services (dependent upon carrier; additional charges applicable).
After shooting photos and videos, you can connect the N900 to an external monitor or TV (NTSC/PAL) using the included cable, and control playback via UPNP (WLAN supported).
The Nokia N900 supports email accounts from more than a thousand internet service providers (ISPs) around the world (SMTP, IMAP4, POP3), as well as Gmail, Yahoo! mail, and Hotmail. People who use Microsoft Exchange at work can access their email using the Mail for Exchange mobile email client, which comes pre-loaded (an Exchange email account is required and your Exchange Administrator must have enabled your account for synchronization). You'll enjoy reliable real-time access to your email, calendar, contacts, and tasks, as well as be able to download attachments like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF files directly to the device.
In addition to the integrated hands-free speakerphone, this phone provides the latest version of Bluetooth connectivity--version 2.1 + EDR--which makes pairing with an optional headset, as well as other Bluetooth-enabled devices, a snap. It includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and phonebook access. And with the A2DP Bluetooth profile, you can stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
Bluetooth profiles include: A2DP (stereo music streaming), AVRC (remote control), HFP (hands-free car kits), HSP (communication headsets), FTP (file transfer), OPP (object push for business cards, calendar items, and pictures)
- Up to 32 GB internal storage
- Total available application memory up to 1 GB (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)
- Supported protocols: Mail for Exchange, IMAP, POP3, SMTP
- SMS and instant messages organized as conversations
- Support for Nokia Messaging service
- Instant messaging and Presence-enhanced contacts
- Multiple number, email, and Instant Messaging details per contact, and contacts with images
- Integrated hands-free stereo speakers
- Logging of dialed, received, and missed calls
- Speed dialing via contact widget
- Ring tones: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) with WEP, WPA, WPA2 security; designed for continuous TCP/IP connectivity
- Capability to serve as data modem via USB connection
- Music playback file formats: .mp3, .wma, .aac, .m4a, .wav
- Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263
- Video streaming: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263 in .avi, .mp4, .wmv, .asf, and .3gp containers
- TV out (NTSC/PAL) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U, included)
- FM radio (requires headset to be attached) and FM transmitter