Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on February 19, 2012
Having owned and used an iPhone 3G for the past 3 years, I thought it was time for an upgrade. With fierce competition in the market from many manufacturers eyeing the throne for "Smart Phone" king with their splendid products, it was not going to be an easy task. I had settled for three contenders that I had thought were worthy of consideration. They were: Apple's iPhone 4S, Samsung's Galaxy S2 and Nokia's N9.

Having owned an iPhone 3G, I didn't feel that iPhone 4S was considered an upgrade to my experience. Yes, there have been major advancement in the processor, the screen display is wonderful, the multitasking issue has been answered, and many features that you may know of. But, the experience and look, well to me, is still the same. And Apple's control over the OS mars the experience. It was until you performed the jailbreak that things started to get fun.

The Samsung Galaxy S2, is a monster of a phone. It does everything apart from shaving your beard. Yet, there was always this doubt when deciding to go and purchase it. The Android UI, in my opinion is clunky. It's not very well layered as the iOS. Then the issue of future upgrades. With Apple you're in the loop, as for Android, you are compelled to purchase a new phone or read the numerous forums on how to install the upgrades manually, which is a task.

However, with the Nokia N9, I was taken aback with its beautiful & simple design. There are no buttons apart from the lock & volume rocker on it's side. A cover is included in the box, to shield and protect the N9 from the bumps & blemishes. And it does not hinder the design nor obstruct the beautiful swipe gesture. The quality of the phone is great. You may at first be intrigued by the small button at the top of the phone that secures the sim card compartment and how to get it to open. It was frustrating at first. I even thought you are required to be double jointed to get the thing to open. But once you understand the design it all makes sense.

The MeeGo OS is a wonder in itself. It is a well layered interface and the response is very fluid, despite the Nokia N9 not graced with a dual core processor. Yet the ingenuity of a swipe is so natural and so seamless that you're left to wonder of the simplicity of the gesture. The UI and the phone go hand in glove. To activate the phone you either press the on/off button on the side or simply tap the lock screen twice and swipe (either from left to right, right to left, top to bottom or bottom to top) you're presented with 3 home screens:

' App Screen: Screen that lists all the apps
' Open App Screen: Displays all the open apps
' Notification Pane: All your missed calls, SMS text messages, emails calendar, feeds, Skype, Facebook, Twitter & notifications are displayed here in an organized manner.

The N9 is very versatile and efficient. The battery under PSM (Power Save Mode) should last you 3 full days of regular use (making calls, sending text, emails & etc...). I had many contacts on my previous iPhone 3G, all I had to do was Bluetooth my entire contact list to the N9. That only took about 20 seconds. The Bluetooth feature was something very useful that I had sorely missed on the iPhone.

The camera is wonderful, with a plethora of options that may render your compact camera useless. There is a front facing camera, but this hasn't been brought to use yet. However, there shall be an update soon to address this matter.

Nokia have stated that they will stand by the Nokia N9 with updates and support till 2015. Since it's release last summer, there have been 2 updates so far with as stated above, one update promised for release by the end of the month to make the N9 experience all the more mesmerizing.

Yes, there may be a lack of apps when compared to iTunes & the Android market, but the Ovi Store inventory is increasing week by week. And the N9 comes with Angry Birds, NFS Shift, RF 2011, GOF2, Facebook, Twitter & Skype dedicated apps.

The Nokia N9 is a delight to see and definitely a joy to use. It should be considered if you are going to purchase a smartphone soon.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 10, 2012
N9 is a great phone if all is fine with it. If you were to have any problem with it beyond 30 days that Amazon policy warrants, you are on your own.

Nokia N9 has NO WARRANTY and NO SUPPORT in USA, unlike the previous generation Nokia N900. :(

I bought my N9 in February 2012 on Amazon from seller HassleFreeCell. The phone is a beauty and worked fine. A few weeks later I found it had defective front facing camera and contacted Amazon and the seller HassleFreeCell. Amazon bounced me off right away, but HassleFreeCell offered to return the N9 for replacement. A few weeks later than sent my same phone back to me with SIM card tray missing. Now not only I have the original defective camera but also no way to put in the SIM card.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2011
Key features
- Quad-band (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900) GSM/GPRS/EDGE support
- Penta-band 3G (850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100) with 14.4 Mbps HSDPA and 5.7 Mbps HSUPA support
- 3.9" 16M-color AMOLED capacitive touchscreen of 480 x 854 pixel resolution
- Scratch resistant Gorilla glass display with anti-glare polarizer
- 8 megapixel autofocus camera with dual LED flash, 720p@27fps video recording and fast f/2.2 lens
- Meego v1.2 Harmattan OS
- 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU, TI OMAP 3630 chipset, 1GB of RAM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Non-painted color polycarbonate unibody, curved screen
- GPS receiver with A-GPS support and free lifetime voice-guided navigation
- Digital compass
- 16/64GB on-board storage
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic
- Built-in accelerometer and proximity sensor
- Standard 3.5 mm audio jack
- microUSB port
- Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP and EDR
- Nice audio reproduction quality
- Impressively deep and coherent SNS integration throughout the interface
- DivX and Xvid support

[Revised
- Latest Firmware Released : PR 1.2 on Feb 27th 2012
- Front facing video chat enabled for Gtalk (Require Google video chat app to be installed).]

Main disadvantages
- No Flash support in browser
- Limited set of apps
- No office document editing
- Non-user-replaceable battery
- No memory card slot
- microSIM card slot
- No FM radio (Revised: FM Apps avaiable)

[Revised
- Flash supported through Firefox browser (Require Firfox browser and Adobe Flash Player apps to be installed)
- Basic daily use apps are there, however can't be compare with iOS and Android app counts.
- Paid FM Apps avaiable (with RDS option)]
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2011
The one thing this phone does incredibly well is integrate many different kinds of communication in a consistent easy to use way. Voice, SMS, MMS, IM, VOIP, all work well in concert with each other because of the the linux OS's underlying communications systems. On top of that, a very polished alert mechanism combined with the elegant swipe gesture system make this phone an absolute joy to use. Visually, the device is rather stunning -- the case design and AMOLED screen look fantastic. Also, the GPS sensitivity and battery life seem to be very good as well. That said, there are a few flaws that could drive buyers away to other devices. Compared to everything else on the phone, the 3 buttons the phone has left feel really cheap and plasticky. Also, this phone is pricy and since it's imported, you have no warranty for the device. There are lots of high quality apps available, many of which are free. It's a decent enough collection of apps numbering in the hundreds, rather than 10's or 100's of thousands. Gpodder, ecoach, sports tracker, angry birds -- lots of good stuff. In theory there will be an app that will allow this phone to run android apps next month. Bottom line, if you want an amazing communication device, have enough available money to buy an expensive phone without a warranty, then this could be your next device. If you want a wide variety of applications, especially games, or can't justify the financial risk, then you best look elsewhere.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 17, 2012
What a shame! I've had the N9 for almost half a year and still, every time that I use it I shudder at the thought that Nokia basically buried this magnificent phone (sold in very few markets) and abandoned the best phone OS (N9 is the last phone to carry it).
A little personal background is that I've had an iPhone for years as my company develops smartphone apps so keeps me updated, as the iPhone is one of our target devices. However, I never used it as a personal phone because it never did things I found useful (e.g. carrying my files or playing my video collection without slow conversion process) and it wasn't great as a phone either (especially the early iPhones with their laughable battery time). So the iphones always sit at my desk. However I do see how iOS has made for a smooth and simple experience and when I tried out Android phones I was immediately turned off at how "messy" and less smooth the UI seemed to the iOS.
And we move to the N9. My wife is not a gadget person (and does not own a smartphone, just uses mine sometimes for a game of Angry Birds etc) so I was surprised to see her amazed by a device, for the first time that I can remember. Specifically, after trying the N9 out for a few minutes she said "wow, compared to your iPhone this one looks like it came from 2050".
Why would she say that? It is both the device and the MeeGo OS. Although the look of the device is a subjective thing, the solid feel and the gorgeous AMOLED screen with 100% black are sure to please everyone. And then we come to the SWIPE. There is no "home" button, the apps themselves are handled by swipes that start from the edge of the screen. Due to the screen's curvature at the edges the swipe gesture there feels especially smooth - hard to describe really, you have to try it out - but in any case that is how you switch from one app to the other, close the app etc. The UI is very fluid, (unlike several Android devices I've seen) and after using it it amazes me how long it takes me to switch between apps on the iphone (and puzzled at why the minimalist Apple still has me hitting buttons). What's more, the OS is completely open e.g. there is no limitation to what apps developers can make, you can view the full file structure of the phone and if you are a geek you are free to gain root of your device, use a full unix shell, download and install packages etc. Like with its predecessor the N900, you are basically carrying the pocket version of a full linux-based computer, which geeks will appreciate but unlike the N900, the fluid and polished UI hides this and will not alienate simple users, on the contrary it will rather satisfy even in its basic phone duties.
Let's see, what else. The battery lasts very long for a smartphone. With minimal usage (standby most of the time, 3-4 phonically) it has lasted me up to 4.5 days, although if you start using the GPS, watching videos, you can't expect miracles. Speaking of GPS, one of the best features of the phone is the voice-enabled Nokia navigation which comes for free and even lets you pre-load maps so that you don't have to use bandwidth.
Photo quality is similar to the iPhone 4S (better than the iPhone 4), which is unfortunately worse than the N8. Skype users will like the Skype integration. The Web browser is good, but if you want more (including flash support) you can install Mozilla. The included video player seems to have no problem with the usual divx, h264, mkv, ac3 etc that I've tried. When I go on vacation and only need some slight browsing and movies I no longer bring along a laptop. I carry with me the video cable and hook up the N9 to the big LCD TVs at hotel rooms and enjoy my movies. Sorry, no HDMI out, you will have to do without HD.
There are, of course, disadvantages. First of all, it took a couple of updates to solidify the experience. With early software random reboots were not uncommon. Nokia is not really putting a lot of effort on this device, since the MeeGo OS will be abandoned in favor of Windows Phone, so at least it is good that in the end they did not give us a half-finished product, but they did give up on some promised features. Voice-command comes to mind - even my 10 year old Nokia has it, and IIRC the original plan was for bluetooth 4.0 (the hardware is there, as is the hardware for usb-host - but that is another story). Then, it uses a rather old CPU for an end-2011 flagship device (non-dual core), although the MeeGo OS is much faster than Android so it doesn't really show and I guess I can't complain much if my 720p AVIs play fine... Also, I am not crazy about the iPhone-esque "features" of non-replaceable battery and lack of micro-sd slot, but I guess that comes with the design. Oh, and the keyboard is not that great (especially the swype - but apparently some people like that), but I guess I am never satisfied with on-screen keyboards (and Nokia does not want to sell us the N950 which is like a N9 but with a full hardware keyboard and only given to some developers).
Overall, having used the N9 I can't find another phone that approaches the abilities and the pleasure that is to use the N9. I would consider it almost perfect if it had voice command and usb-host capabilities (so you can connect usb peripherals), but Nokia doesn't want to spoil us much I guess.
It saddens me that it is the end of the line for the MeeGo Harmattan OS that shows so much potential and I hope if I have to replace the N9 at some point that I will be able to find a device that is as good or better, but that will take some time if you don't build from the N9 but have to get there the long way around...
on March 12, 2012
If you see this phone for the first time, then you may wonder that it misses the buttons. This is a new way of interacting with a smartphone/tablet. Swipe! You can accomplish everything with the intuitive swipe and touch gestures without missing out on the home button that is found on most of the phones.
As soon as a smartphone is launched, I will check for its supported frequency bands for GSM, and Data to find out what carriers are supported. This phone is a penta-band one which mean that I supports all the major GSM, 3G bands including T-Mobile and ATT. I have not noticed any faults in the device's functionality. It is definitely a very good one to own.
on April 28, 2012
This slick phone is perhaps, the most beautiful cell phone ever! But having used the N8 with the latest version of the Belle OS one misses a lot of convenient features when used as a phone. I will now show my opinion on pros and cons:

Pros:
Most beautiful cell phone EVER
Amazingly sharp and brilliant display with vivid colours
Real and incredible multitasking ability (tested by myself beyond 14 really running tasks!!!)
Related to the above: it doesn't freeze!
Good camera (though not to the N8 standards)
Easy and convenient swype type of interface
Easy mail setup
Great Facebook and Twitter integration
Excellent Skype integration too
Fast and accurate maps and GPS
Good possibility of handling folders and managing archives, just like a computer
Ample 64Gb storage capacity
Light and easy handling (compared to iPhone and even N8)No stupid double (heavy) glass here
Cons:
Lack of speed dialing (solved using an external app but is not the same thing)
No Quickoffice apps (so far)
No WhatsApp (though I've heard it's coming in May 12)
No Fring app (much better and complete than Skype which has improved now but lags always behind this clever app)
Cumbersome charger (in my case a British AC plug with an adpator far larger than the charger itself!)
When everything is on battery life is short but that happens to nearly all really smart phone
When outdoors, the screen is not as bright as that on the C6-01 or even the N8
No removable micro SD; 64Gb is a lot but I prefer less memory but with the ability of switching cards for music and even maps or whatever (especially with the computing power of this device)
No standard Nokia 2mm charging connector (practically all Nokias have this type of charging interface)

In short: a great computer with a phone. If you're after a most beautiful enclosure for a small computer this is it. The perfect geek device! Still feeling that Meego has to Go a lot yet for Mee (but, evidently has the potential for that)
on August 20, 2013
I needed something on a tight budget and almost settled for the lumia 720 (not saying this is better), was about to place my order when I stumbled on this phone. The battery life is better than decent, the screen is crisp with vivid colors and the whole OS experience is not that bad(considering I switched from a blackberry). What really got my attention was the fact that with ubiboot you can have 3-4 OS's on the device. I have always been a touchscreen person so wasn't really a problem adapting. Damn shame nokia didn't put more effort into developing meego for the N9/950 could have competed with the very best. Still running stock Meego and very pleased. the apps you need are mostly available, don't see why I need 500million apps when I used all but 12-24
on December 23, 2011
this phone is amazing! everything i ever wanted in an iphone killer. I am very happy with it. everyone should have one! Nokia is awesome.
on June 11, 2012
I bought this for my brother. He always had those awful brick phones built a million years ago, so he's kinda lost with this new tech phone with lots of menus and apps, LOL.

But don't get me wrong, he's totally pleased with this Nokia, it is very fast, has some kick ass camera and it's really entertaining to use it for Internet browsing, watching Youtube videos or playing games, which are the first things my brother did with it.

Two major things that worry me a little with this phone are kinda related.

The first one is that this is pretty much the only Nokia phone with the MeeGo OS, because Nokia abandoned the project after this one was produced, and then moved on with another OS. So I'm a little worried that Nokia quit supporting this phone or that some apps can't be installed because they're not compatible and I don't know it anyone is producing app versions for MeeGo. As an example, Angry Birds is not available for this one.

The other thing is related to MeeGo, too. Whatsapp it NOT available for this phone (and I don't think it will be). Instead, you have to download a non-official version called "Wazzap" which uses the official servers, so you can talk with all your friends using the official Whatsapp, but you can't send or receive pictures, sounds, or any kind of content except for the text messages.

I'm a frequent user of WhatsApp, and I have at least 10 contacts who I have to communicate with all day, every day, by using WA, so this would be a weak point for me in particular.

If you can lookout if your favorite apps are available for MeeGo, or this Nokia N9 in particular, and they are, then this phone is great for you. Otherwise it's still a super phone but you'll have to start looking for replacements for some of your apps.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...