5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!
Published on February 5, 2011 by Ronny E. Sanchez Ajun

1.0 out of 5 stars No support for US customers!
Published on January 16, 2011 by Rick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, February 5, 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Unlocked Touch and Type GSM Phone--U.S. Version with Warranty (Silver) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I purchased this phone as a gift for my teenage daughter, she loves the phone...Initially, she was upset at me as I didn't ask her about her thoughts on what kind of phone she would prefer, so I thought I could use this phone if she didn't like it, well, after playing a bit with it, she got in love with this nice piece of technology...She is used to texting via traditional keypad, so she loves the idea of navigating through menus and options via the touchscreen while keeping the phone keypad for dialing and texting functions. Quality of the phone is great (my daughter has tons of pics she can keep in a large memory microSD card, so this is a plus too), the phone feels very resistant and the silver version is very elegant, fits perfectly into small pockets. You'll need to adjust touch screen sensitivity to your preferrences, but the phone has a good feature for completing this task easily. 3G and Wifi capabilities works great in my country, and even when my daugthers' sim card is from 2G technology, the phone has extraordinary reception at areas where her previous 2-3 Nokia phones (various Music express models) never had signal. Quality of pictures are awesome (have not used the flash at this time, but we'll see...). Overall, I highly recommend this phone for someone who needs good battery performance, nice quality pictures, all good stuff such as music, videos, etc., good signal reception and also wanting to keep keypad control for dialing/ texting while improving menu navigation through touch screen...Great product!

1.0 out of 5 stars No support for US customers!, January 16, 2011
UPDATE! I had one of the first reviews for this phone, (maybe the first?) on Amazon and I can no longer recommend this phone for US customers. No US GSM carrier has sold this phone so Nokia has apparently decided it is not worth supporting in the US. They have some way of identifying the hardware and the new firmware is not available or downloadable through their software application. They have not only added features but according to release notes they have added bug fixes. Great, now I know I have a phone with software bugs that will never be fixed. My phone is also dropping calls indoors where I have never had problems with previous phones. I wonder if that is one of the bug fixes.

I tried to open a ticket with Nokia customer support, this was my response from May 3rd.

Thank you for contacting Nokia.

You will be receiving a reply from one of our Customer Care Representatives at the earliest.

Have a good day.

It's June 9th, haven't heard a thing. Nice way to treat your customers.

I had to replace the phone on my ATT plan ( Nokia Mural ) because the battery life was horrible, it dropped calls, would not receive calls and the menu navigation was awful.

I am not interested in a smart phone. My top priorities are battery life, call quality and ease of use. I could also care less about a camera in a phone. I also carry my phone in my pocket so the size and shape of this phone is important. For the 2 weeks I have owned this phone it has met all of these criteria. I went 3 days before the first charge and that was after playing with all the phones features like WLAN, bluetooth camera and media player and I still had battery left. The call quality is superb, people talking to me on the other end have also noticed the difference, no dropped callls so far. The ring volume is EXCELLENT! The main screen and goto menus are totally customizable so if you don't find this phone easy to use it is your own fault. The resistive touch makes navigation easy. The screen is also very clear and the picture quality is excellent. Texting uses the traditional key pad and utilizes the touch feature for special charachters. This phone is thin and the back is rounded so it carries well in my pocket, sometimes I forget it is there.

Now for the extra features. The camera takes pretty awful pictures but I find that true with most phones. Flash photography on this thing produces incredibly washed out colors. I the WLAN feature is great!, the default browser is very poor but it also comes with Opera Mini web browser pre-installed and that works surprisingly well. This does not surf the web as well as a "smart" phone but it is certainly tolerable. One of my favorite features is the * button can be held down for 3 seconds to turn on the camera flash for a flashlight. Love it! So far the software support from Nokia is poor because the phone is so new. There is no ActiveSync which I think is true for most phone. SUPL location, which uses tower triangulation to find your location, is available but I have not found an app that it works with yet. The java google maps does not support the touch screen. It comes with a built in mail app which support gmail. The is no plugin yet for Apple iSync. Hopefully there will be better software choices the longer this phone is out. The music player is relatively good, decent sound and a regular sized headphone jack is awesome. I also appreciate the ability to charge with both the Nokia barrel charger and micro usb.

I own an ipod touch which senses electrical conductivity, this phone differs in that it uses resistive touch which senses pressure. It is not as sensitive but has the advantage of not exposing a glass surface ( possibly more durable ) and you could still use it with gloves on. Once you get use to using the touch on this phone it goes smooth. It seems to work best with your thumb.

I would recommend this phone to anyone who likes to use their phone as a phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, February 10, 2011
This phone is one of the best innovations by Nokia. It combines both a touchscreen factor and a keypad design that users can make use of. The large keypad really helps for typing and the interface, as usual, is very user friendly.

There are somethings you have to be careful for... For instance, when you're sending a text message, if you accidentally touch the screen, you may hit the "cancel" button and your text will not go through.
I wish the text message interface woud be a little bit better. It just takes time to get to a text message especially if it's a recent one in my opinion. For some users it may not be a problem at all.
Also, this phone's vibration is a little light. You may not feel it vibrating for a call sometimes if you're walking or doing physical work.

Other than that, it's a really nice, SUPER slim stainless steel phone. the camera is very good. it has a flashlight. the dialpad is really large for your fingers.

Surely, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages & that's why I still use mine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone if you know what you want, April 18, 2011
'Bought this phone about a month ago, I think it's fantastic. 'Best advice I have to give is know what you're looking for in a phone. Pictures are decent if you hold the camera extremely steady, video is average, call quality is good, honestly it's average.

The selling points it had for me include:

-Hefty phone, it's not flimsy especially w/ the Stainless steel backing I love it. The plastic isn't flimsy either.

-Wifi capable, not a deal breaker but it's convenient if you're bored in starbucks. No Ovi maps, but a physical map works just as well.

One of my keys creak, but I'm sure it's an isolated incident, 'still feels just as strong as the other ones and doesn't bother me at all.

I dropped this phone twice in the course of the same minute, and two of the keys were knocked loose (protruded slightly, but no play)

I googled dis-assembly for the phone and apparently nokia supplies a free manual for complete tear down of the phone, which I love.

If any think breaks on this phone, the screen for example, just get one for 20 bucks, look up the information, and install it yourself, no hassling with people over the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars After two years usage, is excellent!, April 2, 2013
I purchased my Nokia C3-01 in march 2011, and since that date, it works nice in my country, Venezuela. Is reliable, fast, small an easy to be carried in any shirt o pant pocket, without disturbing as many others larger phones!( Computers, TVs tablets or what?)Its back silver steel makes it elegant as none in the maket. Of course, it has some limitations, but if you need to carry a cell phone with you, not one NASA computer, this is your phone! Eduardo. Caracas, Venezuela.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice phone with room to grow, March 21, 2011
I have always been a Nokia fan, but their basic phones sort of disappeared during the smart-phone craze. This phone was described somewhere as a hybrid, and I have found that this is a very good description. I really didn't want a smart-phone, but this gives me the best of both worlds. Battery life is great, it's an attractive phone, and I can go on the internet if I want to. AT&T doesn't consider it a smart-phone, so I am trying out an unlimited internet access plan for $10 per month. If I want, I can drop that plan and get free wi-fi access where available. The free Ovi mail account is good for folks like me who don't want to "text" but who occasionally like to communicate via email on the go. I did have some trouble hooking up to the internet initially, but thankfully there are folks out there (on the web) who have left great trails of useful tips--and so I programmed myself onto the AT&T links. I highly recommend this phone.

May 1 update: I'm still enjoying this phone, but buyer beware: I have noticed that this phone "jumps around" without my hitting any keys. I'm not sure why, but just be very aware that you have actually "locked" your phone, and are back at the main screen when you're done using any application.

3.0 out of 5 stars First unit didn't worked. Returned it and bought another!! Nice!, April 28, 2011
I just received the C3-01 from Amazon.com today and out of the box just put in the battery and plugged it in. The phone started flashing with a white screen. I put my AT&T SIM in to see if that would make a difference and it didn't. Once again the same white screen and keypad flashing. So I said before I give up on this, let me call Nokia USA for help. The tech said to redo the things that I had already tried and got the same result. I just resent it back to amazon.com for a refund. A brand new phone not working. I would not recommend this phone. I liked the overall feel of the phone but the software has flaws. The Nokia program/ Windows XP/7 were not even able to recognize this device once plugged into the computer.

Update: After returning the dud phone back I wanted to give this phone another chance. I bought another unit a day later. This phone works brilliantly with AT&T and shows 3.5G. The wi-fi works well with the ovi browser that has to be downloaded. The screen may be small for some people but as a unlocked phone with wi-fi, can't beat the features. The phone quality was excellent and the speaker phone is fairly loud. The scrolling aspect is a bit difficult and will take time to get use to. Having and iPhone and a HTC Freestyle on the family plan allows for a unique perspective. This phone is similar in feel to the HTC Freestyle except for the wi-fi aspect. The scrolling aspect as well as the multiple home screens is lacking. Ringtones are not pre-loaded onto the phone.

Bottom line: Its a great general phone with some features that can enhance the experience of a phone without having to pay data charges. I would recommend this phone as a secondary phone but those who need the internet with greater response and functionality will want to look for something else. You have to be a bit patient with this phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very unreliable, January 6, 2012
I have had this phone for nearly 1 year and have had more problems with it than with any other phone that I have owned. Twice I needed to have it repaired under warranty because the keypad became nonfunctional. Now the touchscreen will not operate at all, so I can do absolutely nothing other than make and receive calls. The warranty has not quite expired, but I'm not going to bother with repairing it since I no longer have any faith in the phone to operate for long before another bug makes it unusable.

This phone looks nice, appears to be solidly built, and has some nice features for a non-smartphone, such as WiFi. But it is a shame that it is so unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone - saved me a bundle with paygo, July 18, 2011
I've had the Nokia C3-01 for 4 months now and I'm very happy with it. Call quality is great. Slim metal case slips easily into a pocket. Screen is surprisingly scratch resistant. Wifi works great - I use it to check mail and download podcasts daily. Good battery life. Keyboard is - well there's no keyboard, so you've got to peck around with the text/T9N stuff. But the small size makes it worth to deal with that. It's got a built in FM radio and a music player. Built-in camera is horrible - slow, blurry.

I got this and a ATT GoPhone plan because I was sick of 2 year contracts. My phone bill runs $15-$30/mo for voice/text. No data plan, the cost just didn't make sense, but again the wifi works great so I don't miss it much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted!, May 15, 2011
D. G (Nashville TN USA) - See all my reviews
I had planned to buy this from Amazon, but was forced to pay 20% more when my old phone had problems on an overseas trip.
Like many other reviews, I am not desperate for a smartphone and I have had great success with Nokia over the years.
This phone is actually close enough for my needs few smartphone needs and I love the Wi-Fi.
I needed a phone to work in Japan and Korea and this one is promised to do that- based on my checking with coworkers who are there and tried it.
Battery life has been averaging 3 to 3.5 days with Wi-Fi on 25% of the time.
The Ovi options for maps and to download free items is quite good for me.
I also was so happy when it took me 3-5 minutes to download the contacts from my old phone to the C3 via Bluetooth.
Touchscreen is good, not an iPhone, but good. I like the combination of touchscreen and keyboard. It took me a short time to adapt to the button locations. The keyboard buttons are good for texting or updating contacts.
Camera is just ok. Nothing noteworthy.
One concern for me personally was the thin profile. I actually misplace this more as it is not as bulky as the old Nokias.
I am happy with this phone.