5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia C3-00 - The BEST phone for an affordable price!
I am a college student who was in desperate need of a new cell phone after my old one stopped working. Because of that I wanted to buy a phone truly worth the money, and one that would last.

Published on February 16, 2011 by Magpie

1.0 out of 5 stars Nokia+Tmobile support=Terrible choice
Published on July 8, 2011 by Tony H.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia C3-00 - The BEST phone for an affordable price!, February 16, 2011
Magpie (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia C3-00 Unlocked Cell Phone (Slate) with QWERTY, Dedicated E-mail Key, 2 MP Camera, Media Player, WLAN, and MicroSD Slot (Wireless Phone Accessory)

For someone who isn't willing to pay for 3G service, but still wants internet, and a modern looking phone, THIS is the perfect cell phone. Phones like this are very hard to come by because most do require data packages (the ones considered smartphones anyway). I can't say how it compares to a smartphone having never owned one, but for someone like me it's perfect.

- QWERTY keyboard is well spaced, text messaging capabilities are wonderful
- WIFI! Can I stress how important this is? It's probably the best feature of the phone. Wi-Fi is pretty much everywhere nowadays, so why buy a smartphone when you can get a phone with Wi-Fi capabilities for a much lower price, and without having to buy a data plan?

I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I have absolutely no complaints. The battery lasts about 3-4 days and that's with a good number of hours using it (mostly texting or listening to music).

So if you want to buy something definitely worth the money that not only functions great but LOOKS great, this is the phone for you. Best $120 I ever spent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone but a little work for the AT&T users!!, April 15, 2011
First off I love the phone after I got everything figured out. Basically all I had to do was pop my sim card out of my existing (AT&T Customer) phone and I was good to go, sort of! lol From that point I could call my contacts, send text messages, and even connect to the internet via wifi. Now the problems I discovered shortly there after was it connected to the wifi but could not go to any webpages because it would time out. It would not even go to the nokia pre-loaded store icon on the phone. Well, I could tell that there was settings not configured somewhere because it is unlocked for different carriers and needed at&t settings entered. Another problem I encountered was I could send text and recieve them just fine but could not recieve or send pictures with text messages succesfully. That was aggrevating because I could do that with my old phone just fine, but not this one. I found the solutions to fix these problems on-line after searching for awhile. So if you want these problems fixed here they are:

MMS

Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal Settings > Options > Add New > Multimedia Msg

Account Name: AT&T MMS

Server address: [...]

- Proxy address: [...]

- Authentication type: Normal

- User name: [...] (all capital letters)

Internet

Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal Settings > Options > Add New > Web

Account Name: Media Net

Homepage: [...]

User name: leave blank

Password: leave blank

- Proxy address: [...]

- Authentication type: Normal

- User name: [...] (all capital letters)

Now go back to the Personal Settings (Personal accounts) > Options > Activate

After I did these changes the phone worked like my old one. Just thought I would pass this info along because you will encounter these problems with at&t as your carrier. Overall I would definitely buy the phone again because it is Nokia quality and thats hard to beat in my opinion!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool futuristic lookig phone at a great price, November 28, 2010
When you first pick up the Nokia C3, you can think that you have a modern looking full QWERTY Blackberry. It is a cool looking phone, with a very easy to use keyboard.

Its light weight, so it dosent feel heavy in your pocked, has great battery life. The sound clarity is good, as is the camera. Its not a high end camera phone, but its pictures are just as clear as my old 8900.

It dosent compare with the high end smart phones like the new Blackberries or HTC androids, but for the $160 range that its in, it certainly gives you that expensive look, and is a great email/messaging device.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great unlocked phone for a great price, January 19, 2011
Firstly, it's a great price for an unlocked phone that can be used with AT&T, TMobile, prepaid, and any other GSM (SIM card) service providers worldwide. I'm not going to repeat the technical specifications. It is very light, portable and has excellent battery life. You can talk for a really long time. Make sure to turn off WIFI when it's not being used. This phone is perfect for everyday use, or as a backup or a second phone. I love the FM radio.

It also makes a decent gift.

I would recommend it over any carrier branded phone. It is always cheaper in the long run to get an unsubsidized phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia C3-00 Cell Phone - Awesome Product!!, May 23, 2011
P. Redman "American Patriot" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great product. It's small, but feels solid in your hand. Has a GREAT battery. I text a lot and I was used to having to charge my battery daily. With this phone, the battery lasts AT LEAST two days, and that's with heavy texting and limited internet usage. Well constructed. Shows conversational style text. You can attach ringtones and photos to your contacts. You can set up recurring appointments. It has an alarm which works really well. You can use up to an 8GB micro SD card with it. If you have AT&T service (which I do) you need to know how to configure it so that you can receive multimedia (picture) messages and access the internet. I have the instructions for the configuration, which I will enter below. I would highly recommend this phone to anyone who wants a good phone, but doesn't want to pay for a 'smart phone'. You can get unlimited data (internet) usage for $10/month (again, AT&T) versus $25/month for what they consider to be a 'smart phone'. Okay, it isn't blazing fast on the internet (uses Edge rather than 3G or 4G), but it's fast enough for me. I don't actually use it for the internet a lot because I prefer to use my computer for that. Multimedia messaging works great. It does everything I want it to do and I've been used to using the Samsung Blackjack II and Jack. I've been a cell phone user since 1995. Again, I highly recommend this product. Instructions for configuring MMS and Internet (Web):

Nokia C3 -- MMS and Web settings
Multimedia Messaging

Account Name: AT&T MMS
Server address: mmsc.cingular.com

- Proxy address: wireless.cingular.com

- Authentication type: Normal
- User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (all capital letters)

Internet

Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal Settings > Options > Add New > Web

Account Name: Media Net
Homepage: device.home
User name: leave blank
Password: leave blank

- Proxy address: wireless.cingular.com

- Authentication type: Normal
- User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (all capital letters)

Now go back to the Personal Settings (Personal accounts) > Options > Activate

Oh, one more thing.....make sure you order the one that's sold by and fulfilled by Amazon!! Good luck and you're gonna love this phone!!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Entry Level Qwerty Phone, March 7, 2011
If you know what you are getting, then this phone will pretty much keep you satisfied. If you are expecting full feature smart-phone capabilities, then you will be very sorry. One shouldn't expect all those feature for this price. Fair enough?

- WiFi for under $100? Wi Freaking Fi!!! No phone to my knowledge at this price range has that. Useful to check my email and do some light informative surfing on the web at hotspots.

- This phone has the same battery as my Nokia Xpressmusic 5800 but lasts two to three times longer since this isn't a touch screen. With light use, my phone can last a week before charging again.

- Cannot multi-task; which means you would be able to use one program at a time. You need to close an app to use another. No biggie, I knew that.

- Qwerty fairly easy to use after getting used to. All buttons are nicely lit for night use.

- Symbian S40 is the handicapped version of Symbian S60. It is basic and easy to use but lack the additional tools of S60. Once again, I knew what I was getting.

- Has access to Ovi store to download free apps and games.

- Call quality is clear and it does not drop calls. Sound is crisp and clear.

- Good and nice bright screen.

- Camera has no flash, but pretty decent quality for a 2MP phone camera. I don't expect Nokia N8 picture quality.

- Micro SD card slot is on the side and not under the battery like some phones.

- No physical volume control button. Can turn off some people. For me, I can just use the on screen volume control.

- Decent build quality.

- Just for reference, I compared this phone side by side with my friend's iPhone 4 and this Nokia phone is smaller in size.

- Unlocked. Popped in my T-mobile simcard and I was good to go.

Got this phone as a temporary phone for now after losing my main cell-phone. I will upgrade when I have more money down the road.
Once again...know what you are getting and you will be happy with this product. Don't expect this phone to be something more than an entry level smart phone. This phone gets the job done for me and it looks great. Well worth one Franklin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nokia+Tmobile support=Terrible choice, July 8, 2011
Tony H. "Tony H." (Columbus, Ohio, United States) - See all my reviews
I'm on a contract with T-Mobile, and I wanted to get a new phone while still on the contract, so I initially got the Nokia C1-01, which I bought from Amazon as well, however I didn't have access to picture messaging nor internet. I thought that for $120 on Amazon, that the Nokia C3-00 was a steal that combined a good amount of features like wi-fi and EDGE network access and custom shortcuts balanced with a reasonable and frugal price, so I got it.

When the phone arrived, it was as simple as just swapping the SIM cards (as it usually is with any GSM phone, and some newer CDMA phones) from my old phone with the Nokia C3-00; I still wasn't able to use picture messaging, but I was sold on the Wi-Fi, the EDGE network support and the Mail and Contacts custom shortcuts.

I started doing some occasional internet browsing with the phone; while not all websites are available or nicely viewed on the phone, Google Mobile adapted most of the webpages to be viewed with the phone. While on Wi-Fi I was able to attain speeds of 1500 kbps (kilobits). The phone was UNLOCKED !!!! I was finally going to be able to run Gmail and Google Maps without having to get a Blackberry or an iPhone, and it did so beautifully (read the instructions on how to use Google maps, otherwise you'll be a little frustrated when trying to pan in/out and zoom in/out the map).

One good day TMOBILE sent me an update, and the phone did ask me if I wanted to apply the update, but I must have pressed the wrong key and it applied the update which rendered my phone unable to do all the nice things that it was able to do before: I was left with a boring gray background, only the Nokia ringtone left to choose, the custom shortcut keys no longer worked (couldn't even choose something else for them to do), and clicking on the browser did nothing.

To cut a long story short, I called Tmobile asking them why they were sending updates to my phone...they were not aware. They told me that they couldn't provide me with much support since I had bought the phone from somebody else...that's perfectly understandable.
I was however expecting good customer support from Nokia and they failed to deliver: I called a total of 5 times that solved nothing, and in between those calls, Nokia would advice every time to contact T-Mobile to provide me with values to access the web..I just couldn't get them to understand that it was the applications that failed to respond. I was asking to return the phone to its factory OS condition. They got me to update the phone from OS version 4 to 8, but did nothing either.

I am looking now at going to some sort of Android OS phone....Symbian is just dead and you can't get as much info.

The phone itself is a nice one, but since I assume that you'll be buying it to run on either AT&T or T-Mobile, I just wanted to warn you about what could happen to you, and complain about the poor Nokia support

5.0 out of 5 stars "Smartphone Features" Without the Annoying Contract, August 3, 2011
This phone is amazing. For $120, Nokia really hit the nail on the head this time.

Wi-Fi:

This is probably my favorite feature of the phone. While most phones that have Wi-Fi are smartphone and require a data plan from the carrier, this phone doesn't. It has wi-fi, but it's NOT a smartphone. This is a great feature for those of us who want to browse the internet or check email, without being tied to an annoying contract. And let's face it, there's wi-fi almost everywhere now so finding a connection shouldn't be hard. The wifi is fast a reliable on this phone, and it's just so convenient.

Screen:

The screen is terrific for such a budget phone. The resolution isn't crazy high, but it's very crisp and easy to read. As far as I know, there is no option to adjust the brightness of the screen, but that's not a big problem because the brightness is perfect for all situation. Even in sunlight, the screen is remarkably readable.

Battery Life:

I only go the phone yesterday, so I really don't know about the battery life. According to other websites, however, it has 7 hours or talk time. Not impressive, but still pretty good. It also depends on if your wi-fi is turned on and stuff like that.

UI (Interface):

This phone uses the Nokia S40 use interface. This interface is pleasantly simple, yet has all the features you need. There are a few apps that come preloaded onto the phone, but whenever I try to go to the OVI Store, it says this phone is not compatible. This might be an issue with the browser or maybe the phone just ISN'T supported. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem because people shouldn't buy this phone expecting an iPhone. The phone also gives you easy access to your favorite social networks from the homescreen, which I find a great feature paired with the included wi-fi (I don't have a data plan).

QWERTY Keyboard:

The keyboard is perfect. The keys may a little small and intimidating, but even for those of us who have thick fingers, typing will become a breeze. The keys are stiff enough to prevent accidental presses, but at the same time, they are easy to press. Perfect combination, eh? Also, I've noticed that on a lot of phones, the keys make a loud *click* noise when they're pressed. This phone barely even makes a noise. I would have to say that the navigation pad above the QWERTY keyboard is a little "loud" at first, especially the directional pad, but you soon get used to it.

Text Messaging:

I couldn't be happier with the texting experience on this phone. The messages are displayed in a conversational manner for each contact, and you can even assign the dedicated e-mail key to go to the conversations (texting) screen. I find this really helpful because it let's me keep track of who I was talking to and what I was talking to them about.

Email:

The email on this phone is good. The "app" takes about 6 seconds to load up after you press "Mail" in the menu, but then it's pretty quick. You can have multiple accounts, and all you have to input is you username and password. The phone does the rest, so no need to find the server addresses and ports or whatever you need. I've never really had email on a phone, but I must say it's very convenient.

Internet Browser:

There are 2 internet browsers that I'm aware of. I have no idea what the default first one is called, but the second one is Opera Mini. I personally like the first one better better, and that's because you control the cursor with the directional keys, while in Opera Mini, you basically use them to select an element..... It's hard to explain. Also, the internet is fast if you have fast wifi. This phone only supports EDGE and GPRS, so no 3G. (YouTube works, but the videos only play in low resolution).

Media Player:

The media player is great on this phone, too. There are many different file formats that the phone can play. It can even play MIDI audio files (I've never seen that on a phone). My favorite part about the player is them including a 5-band equalizer. This equalizer greatly improves the sound quality. I have mine set to - left to right - HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH. The headphones that come with the phone aren't the greatest, so using a different pair would drastically improve the sound quality.

Classy Look:

This phone looks pretty awesome. The area around the screen is this plastic material but it's reflective so it's looks really luxurious. The battery cover is made of metal (aluminum I think), and that really gives it a "heavy", quality look. I actually ordered a case with the phone (Premium Crystal Skin Case for NOKIA C3 / Clear Tinted) and it fits perfectly, I highly recommend it. The keyboard is sort of a matte finish, and it makes the key comfortable to type on. The device as a whole is just gorgeous, and to be honest, it really looks like a "Nokia BlackBerry" or something. I really like the look.

Camera:

The camera is a 2 MP camera, with digital zoom, but no flash, and no auto-focus. The picture quality on the phone is average for phones in this price range. The pictures look like visual effects have been slammed onto them. I would recommend using the camera to take the occasional picture of somebody to put as a contact, but that's about it. The video camera is, I believe, QVGA resolution @20FPS, (or 15, not quite sure), which isn't great but it gets the job done.

Call Quality:

The sound quality of the phone is great. I've had no problem hearing anybody, and vice versa.

--VERDICT--

I would say the only flaw with this phone is that it doesn't make me sandwiches. But all kidding aside, I really do love this phone. My favorite features are the amazing QWERTY keyboard, the included wi-fi networking capabilities, and the threaded text messaging. What more could you want for a $120 phone that's not "smart" (hehe). The fact that it has wi-fi but isn't a smartphone is great. You can browse the internet without getting tied up in data plans and contracts and all that stuff because it's unlocked. The browsing experience is good, and the email is convenient. The social network integration to the home screen is great because you don't have to browse to the website or whatever. All-in-all, this is a great phone and I'm very happy I bought it. Oh yes, by the way, it makes calls. :P

EDIT 2/5/2012 - Regarding the battery life, this phone has AMAZING battery life. In the review I said it was average, but after using it for a longer time, I can go 5 days with average/heavy use and still have 2/3 bars. It seems insane, but it's true. However, that might be due to the fact that I don't access AT&T's data features, which may drag the battery life down a bit if used frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!!, December 29, 2010
Couldn't find a phone with Wi-Fi for under $200 in The Bahamas but this one is awesome. It is quick, light-weight and easy to use. I had an LG Cookie which was touch screen and the calibration seemed to be a bit off so I thought "Let me just stick to the old model $50 nokia that I got when I was back in high-school" Then I found THIS nokia! Same great brand with newer apps and features. I'm in love with my new phone <3 !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectatons, March 3, 2012
Since I was due for an early upgrade on my plan, I checked around in the AT&T store for non-smartphone messaging-only options that did not require a data plan. Sadly, there were just a handful of options, half of which were unappealing flip style phones that I used over 10 years ago. AT&T store personnel stated that AT&T is intentionally driving existing customers to higher revenue smartphone and data plans and de-emphasizing messaging-only phones.

*sigh*. Thanks for reducing customer options AT&T.

So the search began to see what options existed in third party unlocked phones. The Nokia C3-00 caught my eye largely because it looked very much like my previous QWERTY bar phone, but it also had FM stereo and Wifi capability which had the potential to dramatically improve its day-to-day flexibility. In addition, user reviews across multiple internet review sites gave it overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Before purchase I had some initial concerns about whether or not AT&T would identify the phone on their network as a smartphone since it uses the Symbian S40 operating system. AT&T said the phone's IMEI number is not among their list of smartphone IMEI's. I've gone through my first billing cycle and can confirm no forced smartphone data plan charges were assessed.

As for the phone itself, day-to-day use has been great. Plugged my SIM card into it from the old phone (Pantech Link) and its worked beautifully right out of the box from day one. No problems at all.

Battery life is typically 3-4 days between charges with moderate texting and several hours of daily FM stereo usage at work. Better than expected.

Wifi works OK, not very speedy, but it does enable access to personal email and MSNBC/CNN at Starbucks. Just don't expect an iPhone-type browsing experience. It's basic but gets the job done. Better than expected. Note: If you DO opt for a data plan for this phone, bear in mind that it's an EDGE phone, not a 3G phone, so your data transfer speeds under a paid data plan will likely be a little underwhelming.

FM stereo works super and is a nice inclusion on a phone at this price level. Earphone cord acts as the antenna and must be plugged in for reception. Sounds great, and again, better than expected.

Keyboard is typical QWERTY layout. I found the tactile feedback quite pleasant and was easier to text on it than previous phone.

Call quality is very good. No dropped calls. I can hear callers loud and clear and they can hear me the same.

Nothing bothersome about the texting experience. It has a conversation mode similar to other phones and it works well. Only complaint is that individual texts within a conversation will only display the first two lines of the text. You have to drill into the text to see it fully. Not terribly annoying, but adds an extra step to the texting process. I suppose you have to accept some compromises when working with a 2.4 in display screen.

Overall, I'd have have to say this has been a terrific phone choice for me. At $99, it's priced very well, offers expanded feature content and NO DATA PLAN requirement. It's a worthy option to similar carrier-provided messaging phones and a great value. Very happy camper.