5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed
Surely you have read all reviews about this phone (GsmArena, PhoneArena, etc).
I want to emphatize just a few aspects that could help you decide:
Published on April 24, 2011 by S. Perrone

1.0 out of 5 stars Hanging / freezes too often
Published on March 1, 2012 by Layman

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Nokia C6-01 Unlocked GSM Phone with 8 MP Camera, 720p Video Recording, and Ovi Maps Navigation--U.S. Version with Warranty (Silver) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Surely you have read all reviews about this phone (GsmArena, PhoneArena, etc).
I want to emphatize just a few aspects that could help you decide:
1- I was looking for a state-of-the-art cell (touch), but size is very important to me: I don't like iPhone or Galaxy-S size. I need to put my cell in my pocket, and operate it with just one hand; that's the first reason to buy Nokia C6-01;
2- Quality: there is no people that could give you an opinion against the very good quality of this phone;
3- Symbian is TOTALLY customizable: I understand Android could give you a very "update able" impression, but Symbian is too.
4- I am a middle-age professional (44). Big hands, lot of work, very internet-dependent (for work), and travelling a lot by airplane. I need a cell phone to get email mainly through wifi networks, but I really do not have too much social-related activity (Tweeter, Facebook, and so), so I doubted when reading a lot of reviews referring to this aspects. I can tell you that customization is total: you can decide to put every icon related to screens as you want. I've cleaned my screens and setup the icons I needed.
5- Connectivity in this cell is absolutly easy and user-controlable.
6- Installing Ovi Apps is an easy and error-free process. I've installed Opera Mobile (it works like a rock!), Skype, a better calculator, QR barcode reader, etc.
7- I've setting up my Hotmail account and a Gmail-corporate account without any problem: they are living in my cell exactly in the way they should be: each inbox separated from the other, and syncronizing just when I want (over wify or data operator link).
8- Camera is VERY good. Of course it is not a full Nikon with a telex, but the photos are great for such a device;
9-Windows application to manage the phone is great. It works like a charm, easy installation, and very high quality presentation. I can control every aspect of the cellphone (You can even type and read sms in real-time using this app, provided your C6-01 is connected through usb cable !), do backups of your data, contacts, messages, and so.
10- It is beautiful and very stylish. I've bought the silver one (it's very metallic: not "plastic-metallic"). Screen is REAL black, and touch operation is perfect.
So, I'm very happy with this purchase.
I hope this help you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A phone that actually fits in your pocket, April 11, 2011
Reviewer (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
In today's smartphone market, it is hard to find a phone that is actually a decent "phone" size. That is, one that does not feel like a brick when you hold it to your ear. When I saw the Nokia C6-01, I knew I found my next phone. The phone fits perfectly in my hand and is a pleasure to use as a phone. It is heavy for its size, but somehow, that just makes me feel more confident in its build. Since this replaced a Nokia E72, the screen size was not a problem for me. It is big enough for me to see everything I want, and I rarely even need to zoom when reading web pages. Lastly, the AMOLED is super bright, and easy to read in sunlight. It will not disappoint. Even the standby screen (that shows the time when the phone is not in use) is relatively bright. I especially like this feature which really adds to the sophisticated look of the phone.

Hardware: Everybody knows Nokia builds quality hardware, so I will not spend too much time on this. Call quality is good so far and the speakerphone is clear. The button placements are well thought out, especially the unlock slider. Slide to lock, slide to unlock. I use it a lot. And if you hold the slider for a few seconds, the camera flash LED turns on as a flashlight. Very useful. One complaint is there is a little slop in the slider. (Not what I expected from a Nokia phone.) The 8MP camera is good in bright environments, although for indoor shots, there is some noise. I am still not sure how I feel about fixed focus cameras, but I guess most of my shots are decent so far for a camera phone.

Software: Symbian ^3 is a huge improvement from S60 in terms of "prettying up" the UI. The usability itself is still close to the pre-touch era. (E.g. why can I not swipe between call logs for missed calls, received, and dialed? Instead I have to press the tiny tab buttons on the top of the screen...) I have to admit, the 3 home screens are useful, especially with widgets that automatically update weather, sports scores, tweets, RSS feeds, etc. One thing I like about Symbian it is very customizable and I have access to all the settings. It may take a few button presses to get there, but I am OK with that. Also, nothing can beat the free Ovi maps. It has turn-by-turn navigation and traffic updates. It is fast, accurate, and FREE. The search feature also works quite well, which saves time when you only need to type in the name of the place instead of the full address. Lastly, Nokia is coming out with awesome apps from their Beta Labs. I use Situations to put my phone in silent mode during work hours, and Normal mode when I am at home (using my GPS position). And I am trying out Nokia Drop to push files to my phone.

Cons/Quirks:
1. The proximity sensor does not work dependably when I hold the phone over my hair. That caused a lot of disconnections in the first few days. I was about the send it back when I realized that the problem is gone if I place the phone directly on my ear (that is underneath my hair). This is a strange problem that I do not see in other phones (tested on an iPhone 4). I will live with it for now though, since it is not much of a bother for me.
2. The phone can be a little sluggish at times. For example, when I turn the phone to type a message, it takes a few seconds for the screen to actually switch orientation. Or sometimes I have to turn the phone a couple times.
3. Battery life can last 1 day with mid-to-heavy usage. I would like that to last a little longer.

Closing thoughts:
I know this review sounds like there is a lot wrong with the phone, but I am actually really happy with it. This phone is fun to use and a lot of the features are well though out. It has everything that I require from a smartphone. And I cannot stress how important the size is to me. The Symbian OS may be coming to an end, but I am OK riding it out with the C6-01 and waiting for what Nokia comes out with next. Last thing: people with big hands might want to try the phone out before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST PHONE EVER... Forget the Iphone!..., July 4, 2011
Well, after years looking for the real iPhone killer i think i found it!. This Nokia has EVERYTHING that an iPhone can offer you and a lot more!. I had all type of phones before, HTC's, Palm Treo's, Palm Pixi... and more. Let's start for the physical characteristics... is a heavy phone, a thing that i like, since the case is made of really nice Metal hard to scratch (not like other cheap plastic phones). Is smaller that the iPhone but the screen size is perfect. It comes with a GPS that works like a charm, even in other countries (like Colombia) without a data plan since you can download the OVI maps for free via Wi-Fi or on your PC and transfer them via USB or Bluetooth. The app store is GREAT a lot of useful free stuff, apps, games and videos. I got a mosquito repellent app, a 360 degrees panoramic photo app, Compass, Fingerprint security, a lot of Internet Radio stations just one click away from your home screen, Pop-mail and Facebook notification on your homescreen and the best protection against thieves!: An app that you can send a msg from another phone to your C6 and sends back another MSM with the exact location of the phone! and if somebody change your SIM card the phone is locked, your personal info is send via email and deleted, and besides that send you an MSM with the notification of the change and a photo taken with the front camera. The 8MP back camera is really good and the HD video @ 720dpi looks really smooth. The front camera is really useful for the Skype app or Video calls. The camera flash works also as a REALLY! bright flashlight... Comes with FM Radio but i never use it since you need the hands-free as the antenna, i usually use with the internet radio. Other apps that come with the phone are Quickoffice, Zip and Adobe PDF Reader. I'm more than happy with this cellphone and i highly recommend it even if you don't live in the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Inexpensive Phone, June 10, 2011
I have to add my two-cents worth to the other glowing reviews for this phone. I just received it yesterday and I am very happy with it. Very solid and expensive looking with a great (AMOLED I think) display. I am particularly impressed that the steel back cover is so rigid - yet the phone isn't too heavy. Call quality is good and it was a cinch to import the contacts from my Nokia E71. The screen is (finally!) glass - I had an N97-Mini for a couple of months and I did not care for the resistive-touch and plastic screen. To me, it is a little small for comfortable e-mail reading - and I would say that it is too small for surfing the internet. I have to say, though, that it's Symbian OS is a little bit of a pain to navigate - perfect example is checking remaining space on your micro-SD card - who would think that you would find that under Applications / Office / File Manager? But I can live with Symbian's annoyances to in order to get a great little phone with a beautiful display - for half the price of a plastic device from one of the other makers.

*********************** Added on June 21, 2011 **************************

I've had this phone for another week+ and I just want to reiterate what a great little device it is!! Battery life is great and it recharges quickly. I've carried it on many evening walks and it shows zero wear and tear - thanks to it's metal construction and glass display. It's my primary phone for calls between Germany and the US and I've had zero dropped calls or other call-related problems. And, much to my surpise, once I downloaded the new Ovi Store - I found there are quite a few good free games on Ovi - Angry Birds Seasons, Rio, Monopoly, car racing, you name it - I was really pleasantly surprised!! This continues to be a compact and very well-built smartphone - I highly recommend it.

*********************** Added on November 6, 2011 ************************

The Nokia C6-01 continues to be a superb phone. Still runs like a top and looks like new - despite another four+ months of carrying around and using. Another advantage I really like is it supports both AT&T and T-Mobile 3G bands in the States - and works here in Germany with Telekom. Last but not least - I like it so much that I've ordered a second one for my wife to use. Keep in mind though - this phone isn't for you if you want a large screen to surf the internet or check FB. It's a great phone with super battery life and a very clear screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diamond in the rough, August 1, 2011
Updated on 05/28/2013.

Still going strong, however the latest upgrade to Nokia Belle made it less responsive to touches and in general more buggy.
Latest navigation update added a pedestrian mode. navigation itself could be a bit quirky - some suggestions are downright dangerous like
making turns where it is physically impossible. Also the new browser does not have an option to remove the status bar at the bottom that
eats into already small page space.

Recently was running car navigation and listening to the Internet radio streaming at the same time - all on 340MB of RAM - impressive!
Also I can view 720P movies shut on my GoPro camera via OTG cable with USB flash reader. Pretty cool!
Will take a look at Lumia 620 next. It also has worldwide navigation with free map upgrades.

End of Updated on 05/28/2013.

First, the negatives.
1) Reboots a lot. While searching for the GPS location, playing MP3s, running the custom application I wrote for the Symbian OS - NOT ANYMORE - see below
2) Limited applications availability. Only one music player that came with the phone, no player that plays by folder so the music has to be tagged/organized
3) Browser experience is sub-par
4) Cumbersome navigation. Read the manual!
4) Nokia OVI store on the phone stopped working after I swapped the supplied 4GB micro-SD card for a 16GB one - NEWEST UPDATE FIXED THE ISSUE - see below
5) Nokia app for the computer is not very intuitive

Now the positives that BY FAR outweigh the negatives, mostly what was not mentioned by the others
1) High quality body/screen
2) Excellent voice quality
3) Sensitive wi-fi radio
4) Works perfectly as a standalone GPS with the maps of the whole world available for download. Maps of Europe are superior to Google's. last year in Croatia Google was forcing me to take the ferry since supposedly it was no road available. Nokia maps got it right.
5) Availability of cheap GENUINE Nokia accessories on the famous auction site and various Chinese outfits on the WEB. You can get an outstanding car holder for peanuts as well as some basic covers and extra battery with charger that works with the supplied with the phone proprietary power cable.
6) With a dirt-cheap (see above) OTG cable you can connect a USB flash drive as an external memory to the phone and it will be treated like an internal memory or an inserted micro-SD card
7) Skype works perfectly over wi-fi and 3G
8) GSM coverage EVERYWHERE in the world
9) Good still/video camera
10) Small. No damage to vital organs when kept in the pocket.

Suggestion: make sure that USB cables you buy are for Nokia, generic ones might not work. OTG cable model number: CA-157, GPS holder: CR-114 or CR-115.
Also do not buy into Symbian 'obsolescence' myth. NOTHING in Android realm can touch this phone for the price. Android has more apps and seamless download but this phone will do everything you need in a small form factor. Highly recommended.

Update on 09/28/2011.

Go to [...] and download Store QML client. It updates Ovi store functionality on your phone. Works perfectly!

Update on 10/29/2011.

Installed a new version of software (prompted by Nokia itself on the phone). Rebooting seems to be fixed, at least partially.

Update 0n 11/26/2011

New OS update solved the rebooting issue - have not had it once! Also GPS fix now is very fast. Ovi store now works seamlessly-I download and install apps while riding on a train.
Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, June 24, 2011
SJ (Quito, Ecuador) - See all my reviews
Before buying this phone I did some research; decided on a Nokia C6-01 because price was right, it had most of the features I was looking for and it looked great. I'm really happy I bought it, this is just an excellent phone with lots of good things to like: it's fast, Nokia HW quality, good battery life (can't expect a lot more if I browse the Internet, listen to music and play a lot with it... ;-) ), granted ovi store does not have as many apps as android but it's actually ok, call quality is excellent, the screen is unbelievable, very clear both outdoors and indoors; 8MP camera.... It feels solid in your hand, like it will last forever; and again, it just looks great!!

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hanging / freezes too often, March 1, 2012
Waited for a compact smart phone that fits in the palm and in the pocket, with a stand alone GPS (Works without Data Plan) and i was happy to buy the c6-01. Though there is a delay in getting the Satellite connection, the map works very well once the connection is established (though there are some errors like in some places it asks you stay on the left and take exit from the freeway, while you have to stay on the right actually). The other features like synch, backup are good and even the APPs are ok ( I am not a gamer). The camera is reasonably good. Even the upgrade to Belle was smooth and Belle looks better. All these positives are neutralized by the single problem of the phone hanging often (Freezes and no keys work) and I have to remove the battery to reset / restart to get the phone working. This happened with all three operating system (This came with Symbian 3 and i updated to Anna and latter to Belle). The battery life too short.

I wouldn't recommend this phone to anybody though the price is little less compared to other smart phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in Small packages, August 16, 2011
I had been waiting for a long time to get a touch-phone. I remember having read N number of reviews and articles on the latest and the greatest technology for a smart phone. But somehow I didn't want to invest big. I didn't want to cry if I managed to lose it. The Nokia C6-01 was a smart decision that I made. I was convinced with the reviews and feedbacks on this little genius and I went ahead and hit "Checkout" on Amazon. And it arrived in a neat box within 3 days. I was all set to experiment on this device and Nokia had always been my favorite. I knew it wouldn't fail. I don't mean to say that companies like Samsung and Apple don't make the user's proud. I also don't mean to compare the Symbian^3 (C6-01's OS) with Android or so.

What I humbly mean to say is, I got everything I expected in a dream phone. I hate to admit that I am not worthy of an iPhone or a Galaxy. Simple reason being I wouldn't be able to utilize it better (What's the use of owning a supersonic when you just want to buy milk?).

Here are some really good things that I found with the Nokia C6-01
* Sweet and Small - You can take this beauty out of your denims without having to acrobat. The 3.2 inch screen is perfect for a mobile phone. Anything more would make it less portable. The curved edges are just as pleasing.
* Robust - The device build is definitely strong and metallic and not like some clumsy ones that remove their clothes (parts) when you accidently (or deliberately) throw it down.
* Amazing display and color - AMOLED display with TrueBlack (all Jargon that means -crystal crisp display with vivid and life-like colors.
* Wonderful Point and Shoot Camera - The 8 MP camera is really cool. I was able to click some really good pics. Don't be misled by the fixed-focus definition. It makes life a lot easier
* Wifi B-G-N compatible - Means I am able to download a lot of data pretty quickly. Using my home Wifi I could download over 300 MB (Maps) within 3 mins. (which is pretty fast for me)
* Offline Navigation and GPS - You can download the maps and routes offline and use it as a normal GPS without having to rely on any network provider / WIFI for data connectivity. And Ovi-Maps are free for life time.
* Easy setup with external emails, IMs, social networking - Inbuilt applications allow quick configuration and you are connected in a breeze.

Some less good things
* It is considerably heavy and I like it that ways. I can "safely" throw it at a mad stray dog if it comes to attack me.
* Battery power - It doesn't have a very powerful battery, so if you are exploiting the device, you need a USB cable or a power charger on the go. With normal usage, I am able to get a charge for around 2 or 3 days.
* Fixed Focus camera doesn't allow good quality macro photography. So I use my dedicated digital camera for that.
* Using the GPS for a long duration warms the device. I wouldn't be doing that every day, so I won't worry much.

So, that is pretty much it. I have got what I needed. (There is a huge difference between what you want and what you need, and this device has made me realize that you would most often never 'need' everything that you 'want')

I am happy with this little genius. This is a rather short review for respect of space on Amazon's review page. Maybe I will soon write a detailed review somewhere sometime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only for Symbian Die Hards, October 30, 2011
Solom01 "software user" (Charlottesville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I have a soft spot for Nokia phones - they have beautiful hardware and work wonderfully as phones (great call quality and reception) but unless you are used to Symbian and Nokia's lack of support run - don't walk - away from Nokia. I also own a Nexus One and iPad, so I am familiar with the other systms out there. Even with the Anna update, Symbian is a mess. After setting this phone up, I wanted to update the version of QuickOffice that comes with it (the included version is read only - it can not edit). Even though the upgrade was purchased through the Ovi Store, it would not install. I finally got it to install by a time consuming restoring of the phone to it's original state after backing it up, restoring the changes I had made, and updating it again. This took over two hours to simply install one of the most popular programs for Symbian! Anna has been available outside the US for months, but between the ineptitude of Nokia and Quickoffice what is a simple task in any modern operating system is a nightmare - and this is the norm in the world of Nokia which explains why they are quickly becoming a relic. Forget about getting support from Nokia if you have a question - it's not going to happen. Maybe things will be better with their Windows phones, but it's hard to teach an old Finnish Dog new tricks.

So why did I give the phone a four star rating? Well, the build quality is great, the screen is fantastic and once you get to understand it Symbian is a very flexible operating system that lets you do things that you can't do with Android or iOS. It is the complete opposite of modern phones with tons of apps (forget getting even popular ones like Netflix or Pandora on this guy) - it is a small high quality phones that has a few good apps and can be easily carried in your pockets. If I wanted to use a tablet I would. It is also inexpensive, and if you are a TMobile user who has tzones this will work with it in both edge and 3g unlike most newer phones that will require you to get an expensive data plan.

In summary, if you want a relatively inexpensive phone with good call quality and the ability to use it world wide on any GSM system this is the way to go. Just understand that dealing with Symbian and the truely wretched support and software that is Nokia and Symbian has been known to drive people insane!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent little phone!, September 25, 2011
If I could rate this phone based on performance compared to my expectations, I'd give it five and a half stars. Let's get the "needs improvement" out of the way:

* CPU is a little slow. In power-saving mode, when multitasking, one application jitters for a fraction of a second while another application does its thing. For example, when listening to streaming audio while surfing the Web, page loads cause the music player to cut out briefly.

* There are some user interface quirks:

** The display stays on during a call if you lay the phone face-up on a surface.

** When using the on-screen keypad while in a call (for example, when going through automated phone menus), there's a "call" button but no "hangup" button. To hangup, you have to select "Back" to get to the main call screen first.

** Some applications seem to prefer the last network I used them on even if it's no longer available. It would be nice if the phone just selected Wifi first, carrier next, and then other.

** Using the GPS while downloading satellite maps over AT&T drains the battery quickly.

** The phone is definitely on the small side. Good for slipping into pockets, not so good for watching videos, reading lots of text in web pages or trying to tap on tiny links with my fingertips.

** It would be nice if the shell supported more gestures than simply swipe-left and swipe-right. For example, on Nokias with D-pads, pressing Down brings up the address book. On this phone, doing a swipe-down would be easier for me than trying to tap on the small address book icon.

There are some other minor little usability issues but nothing I didn't get used to in short order.

Now for the good: this is an amazing little phone, and more amazing when you consider how inexpensive it is. First, the build quality is just terrific---it looks and feels solid. It has a nice, cold, metallic, satisfying heft to it. The battery cover slides off in a no-nonsense way, and there's nothing flimsy or plastic to worry about flexing to the point of breaking.

In addition to feeling solid in the hand, the phone is actually quite sleek and elegant in appearance. I find the pictures online to not do it justice.

The display is GORGEOUS. Colors are rich and super-bright, and it's easy to see even in bright light (though I wouldn't want to try to read lots of small text in bright sunlight).

The battery charges quickly. I can charge from 20% to 70% in the car during my 45-minute commute, and to 100% in about an hour if plugged into an AC outlet. I keep the phone in power-save mode and don't use the GPS much, so I only have to recharge it every 2-3 days.

The flash camera is good and Nokia has included some fancy image-processing tools like sepia, B&W, enhancement, color editing, etc. However, I don't know how it compares to other phones' 8MP cameras, so I don't know if it's anything special.

Getting to the SIM and Micro SD cards is easy: pop off the battery cover and you have access to the SD card. Remove the battery and there's the SIM card. Done. You can replace all three in 30 seconds.

Call quality is excellent, 10 out of 10. Speakerphone is excellent, 10 out of 10. Sound quality on the cheapo earbuds (included) is excellent. The speakerphone is remarkably good. On other handsets I've used, the speakerphone might have a hollow, buzzing sound. This phone sounds solid. My only quibble is that the sound gets a little muffled when I lay it down face-up (the speaker is on the back). Also, and maybe it's that AT&T has upped their game, but lately I have been getting terrific call quality and coverage everywhere I go (Boston, DC, suburban Maryland).

Apps: there is a wide variety of Symbian apps out there but still can't compare to the iPhone ecosystem. On the other hand, this phone comes with almost everything I wanted out of the box. I downloaded only a couple of games, Opera, YouTube downloader, a new UI shell, RPN calculator and Kayak. Even without downloading anything, the phone is an instant on-the-go survival kit, with GPS, turn-by-turn SPOKEN navigation, maps, traffic, browser, email, weather, streaming audio player, video player, calendar, clock with multiple alarms, QuickOffice, FM radio, music player, 720p HDTV output, and, of course, it's a pentaband world phone.

Maps: Ovi Maps is excellent and, like Google maps, offers map view, satellite view and "terrain view" (essentially map view at an angle, as if you're floating hundreds of feet above the map). Also comes with GPS and turn-by-turn spoken navigation, as I said above. Better than the "navigation" you get with Bing maps on other devices like the Pre, which basically map out your route and tell you how to get there up front. That's great until you go astray. This phone gives you turn-by-turn directions and live route recalculation like a real GPS navigation unit.

One other thing, and I don't know if this is limited to Nokia or Symbian, but you can set an alarm and then turn the phone off. Why not save juice at night, right? At the selected time the phone turns on enough to play the alarm tune. My Nokias have done this going back to 2002. Apparently this is something my Android-toting colleagues can't do with their whiz-bang Droids and Galaxies. Go figure.